- 晃动，摇曳，摇动， 摇晃
- 跳来跳去，飞来飞去， 翩翩飞舞
- vt. & vi. 玩,玩耍 amuse oneself with a game, using toys, running and jumping, etc.; hit and send a ball
- vt. & vi. 参加比赛 take part in a game; compete against sb in a game
- vt. & vi. 演奏 perform on (a musical instrument); perform playing
- [U]游戏,玩耍,娱乐 activity done for amusement , especially by children recreation
- [U]比赛,竞赛,运动 playing of a game
- [C]戏剧,剧本 work written to be performed by actors; drama
- a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage;
"he wrote several plays but only one was produced on Broadway"
- a theatrical performance of a drama;
"the play lasted two hours"
- a preset plan of action in team sports;
"the coach drew up the plays for her team"
- a deliberate coordinated movement requiring dexterity and skill;
"he made a great maneuver"
"the runner was out on a play by the shortstop"
- a state in which action is feasible;
"the ball was still in play"
"insiders said the company's stock was in play"
- utilization or exercise;
"the play of the imagination"
- an attempt to get something;
"they made a futile play for power"
"he made a bid to gain attention"
- activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules;
"Freud believed in the utility of play to a small child"
- (in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds;
"rain stopped play in the 4th inning"
- the removal of constraints;
"he gave free rein to his impulses"
"they gave full play to the artist's talent"
- a weak and tremulous light;
"the shimmer of colors on iridescent feathers"
"the play of light on the water"
- verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously);
"he became a figure of fun"
"he said it in sport"
- movement or space for movement;
"there was too much play in the steering wheel"
- gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement;
"it was all done in play"
"their frolic in the surf threatened to become ugly"
- (game) the activity of doing something in an agreed succession;
"it is my turn"
"it is still my play"
- the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize);
"his gambling cost him a fortune"
"there was heavy play at the blackjack table"
- the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully
- participate in games or sport;
"We played hockey all afternoon"
"Pele played for the Brazilian teams in many important matches"
- act or have an effect in a specified way or with a specific effect or outcome;
"This factor played only a minor part in his decision"
"This development played into her hands"
"I played no role in your dismissal"
- play on an instrument;
"The band played all night long"
- play a role or part;
"Gielgud played Hamlet"
"She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"
"She played the servant to her husband's master"
- be at play; be engaged in playful activity; amuse oneself in a way characteristic of children;
"The kids were playing outside all day"
"I used to play with trucks as a little girl"
- replay (as a melody);
"Play it again, Sam"
"She played the third movement very beautifully"
- perform music on (a musical instrument);
"He plays the flute"
"Can you play on this old recorder?"
- pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind;
"He acted the idiot"
"She plays deaf when the news are bad"
- move or seem to move quickly, lightly, or irregularly;
"The spotlights played on the politicians"
- bet or wager (money);
"He played $20 on the new horse"
"She plays the races"
- engage in recreational activities rather than work; occupy oneself in a diversion;
"On weekends I play"
"The students all recreate alike"
- pretend to be somebody in the framework of a game or playful activity;
"Let's play like I am mommy"
"Play cowboy and Indians"
- emit recorded sound;
"The tape was playing for hours"
"the stereo was playing Beethoven when I entered"
- perform on a certain location;
"The prodigy played Carnegie Hall at the age of 16"
"She has been playing on Broadway for years"
- put (a card or piece) into play during a game, or act strategically as if in a card game;
"He is playing his cards close to his chest"
"The Democrats still have some cards to play before they will concede the electoral victory"
- engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously;
"They played games on their opponents"
"play the stock market"
"play with her feelings"
"toy with an idea"
- behave in a certain way;
"play it safe"
- cause to emit recorded audio or video;
"They ran the tapes over and over again"
"I'll play you my favorite record"
"He never tires of playing that video"
- manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination;
"She played nervously with her wedding ring"
"Don't fiddle with the screws"
"He played with the idea of running for the Senate"
- use to one's advantage;
"She plays on her clients' emotions"
- consider not very seriously;
"He is trifling with her"
"She plays with the thought of moving to Tasmania"
- be received or accepted or interpreted in a specific way;
"This speech didn't play well with the American public"
"His remarks played to the suspicions of the committee"
- behave carelessly or indifferently;
"Play about with a young girl's affection"
- cause to move or operate freely within a bounded space;
"The engine has a wheel that is playing in a rack"
- perform on a stage or theater;
"She acts in this play"
"He acted in `Julius Caesar'"
"I played in `A Christmas Carol'"
- be performed or presented for public viewing;
"What's playing in the local movie theater?"
"`Cats' has been playing on Broadway for many years"
- cause to happen or to occur as a consequence;
"I cannot work a miracle"
"play a joke"
"The rain brought relief to the drought-stricken area"
- discharge or direct or be discharged or directed as if in a continuous stream;
"play water from a hose"
"The fountains played all day"
- make bets;
"Play the races"
"play the casinos in Trouville"
- stake on the outcome of an issue;
"I bet $100 on that new horse"
"She played all her money on the dark horse"
- shoot or hit in a particular manner;
"She played a good backhand last night"
- use or move;
"I had to play my queen"
- employ in a game or in a specific position;
"They played him on first base"
- contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle;
"Princeton plays Yale this weekend"
"Charlie likes to play Mary"
- exhaust by allowing to pull on the line;
"play a hooked fish"
- Once he is free, he will play computer games.
- The boy rushed his homework through and went out to play.
- On Saturday France plays Rugby against Wales.
- I've never played right back before.
- I think we should play Matt on the wing.
- She played the ball and ran forward.
- You must play a spade if you have one.
- I could hear music playing on the radio.
- Gloria plays the violin in the London Philharmonic.
- My favourite song was playing on the radio.
- You play the fool and I play the clown.
- She had played Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire.
- I decided it was safer to play dead.
- Music play a key role in people's daily life.
- He played the situation carefully for maximum advantage.
- Moonlight played on the surface of the lake.
- They played a joke on me.
- Students are running round a chair to play a game.
- She watched the children at play in the park.
- The Crucible is a play by Arthur Miller.
- The applause made it evident that the play was a hit.
- The wet and muddy conditions determined the style of play.
- Personal feelings should not come into play when one has to make business decisions.
- He works hard not to impress his boss but to give his ability into full play.
- Clearly, his play yet irritated all of his friends.
- We need more play in the rope.
Let's go out and play.
Can Bob come out to play?
Children like to play.
Work while you work, play while you play.
Don't play all day long, boy.
The children play indoors when it rains.
Our best defender is injured and won't be able to play today.
The band is playing.
The old piano won't play.
He went to playing until he had lost everything.
I am going to the National Theatre, where Hamlet is now playing this evening.
Is the phonograph playing?
I could hear music playing on the radio.
The radio is playing too loudly.
The second actor plays well.
There was a pond in the garden in which a fountain played.
He played the truant.
I was up early and down late, set my own hand to everything, took dangers as they came, and for once in my life played the man.
He's a hard opponent to beat down, but at least he plays fair.
The dog played dead.
The boys like the principal because he always plays fair.
They did not play fair in the matter.
I thought I should play safe by keeping the old machine until the new one actually arrived, in case there was any delay.
The children don't know how to play the game.
They are playing football.
Do you like to play volleyball?
Many boys are fond of playing basketball.
We usually play badminton in the evening.
I like to play golf, but I'm not a very good player.
Can you play chess?
They had decided not to play their best player because she had a bad cold.
We are playing Shanghai team next Sunday.
Can you play the horn?
He plays the piano surprisingly well.
Jane is too nervous to play the piano in public.
He played a Beethoven sonata yesterday.
A piano was playing There is a Small Hotel.
The radio played dirges all day long.
I'll play a tape first. Please listen carefully.
They are playing doctors and nurses.
Let's play pirates.
She likes to play the great lady.
She played Queen Victoria like old Queen herself.
Shall I play my Jack or my Queen?
I don't know how you want to play this meeting.
Let's play that I'm the teacher and you're the pupil.
He played that he was a bridegroom.
I'll play you a game of cards.
Yesterday he played them a marching song.
Play us something happy.
Will you play us a waltz, please.
He played me a trick.
He played her a nasty trick by taking all the money.
Mary was played a nasty trick by a villain.
He'd written a tune, and played it to us on the piano.
Emma will only play her piano pieces to a small group of friends.
Please play some more Mozart for us.
He played his favourite record for me.
I trusted my friend with my money, but he played me false and disappeared with it.
It may not rain, but you'd better play it safe and take a raincoat.
There was a record playing in the next room.
His life is all work and no play.
All work and no play isn't a good thing.
No one who has not been working can truly enjoy play.
We did all our work and all our play.
It is time for play.
He's very fond of play.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Rain stopped the play.
That's not fair play.
The tennis players need total concentration during play.
We've had an interesting day's play in the cricket match.
There was some excellent play in yesterday's match.
There was some nice play from the United in the second half.
There was some exciting play near the end of the game.
They were penalized for too much rough play.
There were some rough plays in that hockey game.
The play caught on well.
The play ran for two years on Broadway.
When does the play begin?
We are going to see the new play at the Playhouse.
I saw the play a couple of years ago.
She has just written a new play.
This is the play of supernatural forces in human destiny.
Give your rope some play— don't keep it so tight.
There's too much play in the steering wheel.
He gave full play to his feelings and began to shout angrily.
Before the building there is a fountain with a leaping play of water.
I could feel the play of wind.
He won 1000 pounds in last night's play.
It is high play.
Whose play is it?
It's your play.
- play about〔around〕1( v.+adv. )
玩耍 spend time having fun play about〔around〕
The children are playing about.孩子们在玩着。
He plays around all the day.他整天玩。
You're old enough now to stop playing around and start earning a living.你已经不小了,别再贪玩了,该开始谋生了。
- 玩耍 spend time having fun play about〔around〕
- play about〔around〕2( v.+prep. )
在…附近玩耍 have fun or spend time near (sth) play about〔around〕 sth
Why do you always play about the river?你为什么总是在河边玩呢?
Tell the children not to play around the power station.告诉这些孩子别在电站附近玩耍。
- 在…附近玩耍 have fun or spend time near (sth) play about〔around〕 sth
- play about〔around〕 with( v.+adv.+prep. )
随意摆弄 examine the possibilities of (sth) in an unorganized manner play about〔around〕 with sth
It is dangerous for children to play about with knife.小孩子摆弄刀是很危险的。
Stop playing around with that gun.别摆弄那支枪。
翻乱… cause disorder to (sth) play about〔around〕 with sth
Who's been playing about with my papers?是谁翻乱了我的文件?
He played around with the clothes again.他又把衣服翻乱了。
与…发生不正当关系 have an improper relationship with (sb, usually of the opposite sex) play about〔around〕 with sb
You shouldn't play about with another woman's husband.你不应该和人家的丈夫混在一起。
I warned you not to play around with married women; it always leads to trouble.我警告过你不要和已婚的女人胡搞,这总会引起麻烦的。
- 随意摆弄 examine the possibilities of (sth) in an unorganized manner play about〔around〕 with sth
- play against( v.+prep. )
与…进行比赛 oppose (sb or a team) in sport play against sb/sth
May I play against you?我可以和你进行比赛吗?
I see we're playing against my old school next month!我知道我们下个月要与我原来的学校比赛。
- 与…进行比赛 oppose (sb or a team) in sport play against sb/sth
- play along1( v.+adv. )
等待回音或决定 keep (sb) waiting for an answer or decision play sb along
They have played me along for some time, without telling me what they really want.他们没有告诉我真正想要做什么,使我焦急地等了一段时间。
合作 cooperate play along
Since I have no choice,I'd better play along .既然没有选择的余地,我最好还是合作。
I will play along if you have made all arrangements.如果你已经全都安排好了,我会合作的。play along with sb/sth
She was in charge, so I had to play along with her odd ideas.她是负责人,对她的怪念头我只好假意服从。
- 等待回音或决定 keep (sb) waiting for an answer or decision play sb along
- play along2( v.+prep. )
(使)沿…闪动,荡漾 (cause to) be directed along (sth) play along sth
The sunlight played along the water ahead of us, making it difficult to see where the boat was going.阳光在我们眼前的水面上荡漾,晃得我们都看不清小船向哪里驶去了。play sth along sth
They played the water along the whole side of the burning building.他们向燃烧着的楼房的整面墙上喷射水柱。
- (使)沿…闪动,荡漾 (cause to) be directed along (sth) play along sth
- play as( v.+prep. )
在比赛中担任… take (a certain position in a team game) play as sb
He has once played as defence before.他以前打过后卫。play sb as sb/sth
The captain wants to play Mills as defence in our next game.队长想让密尔斯在下次比赛中打后卫。
把…演成… perform a part so as to seem a certain kind of person play sb as sb
The director would like you to play the sister as a sympathetic character.导演要你把姐姐演成一个富于同情心的人物。用于 be ～ed 结构
Hamlet is usually played as a sorrowful person who cannot make decisions or take action.哈姆雷特常被演成一个优柔寡断的伤感型人物。
把…演奏成… play music so as to seem sth play sth as sth
Play the piece as music and not as a struggle between yourself and your instrument.要把这支乐曲演奏成音乐,不要听起来像你和乐器间的搏斗。
- 在比赛中担任… take (a certain position in a team game) play as sb
- play at( v.+prep. )
玩…; 参加… take part in (a game)( against sb) play at sth/v-ing
The children often play at hide-and-seek here.孩子们常常在这里捉迷藏。
We watched the kindergartners playing at camping out this afternoon.今天下午我们看了幼儿园的孩子做野营游戏。play sb at sth
Don't play Father at cards; he always wins.别和父亲打牌,他总是赢。
在…演奏; 扮演… perform (music, a character, etc.) at (a place) play at sth
A world-famous violinist is playing at tonight's concert.一位世界著名的小提琴家将在今晚的音乐会上演奏。play sb/sth at sth
They're playing Carment at the Coliseum.他们在伦敦的大剧场上演《卡门》。
Who is playing Hamlet at Stratford this year?今年谁在斯特拉福演哈姆雷特?
在体育比赛中担任… take a certain position in a team game play at sth
He is always playing at centre.他一直踢中锋。play sb at sth
The captain wants to play Brown at left half in the next game.队长打算在下次比赛中让布朗踢左前卫.
做假装…的游戏 pretend, for fun, to be sth or do sth play at sb/v-ing
Let's play at pirates.咱们来玩扮演海盗的游戏。
A party of children played at soldiers, at catching a spy, and at keeping house.一群孩子们玩打仗、抓特务、过家家等游戏。
漫不经心地做… do sth without seriousness play at sth/v-ing
You cannot learn anything if you just play at it.如果你不认真学,你什么也学不会。
His parents are so rich that he can just play at business.他的父母有的是钱,以致他可以敷衍了事地做个商人。
He's only playing at his job in the city; he's much more interested in being a racing driver.他对城里的工作只是敷衍一下而已,他一心想的是当赛车手。
I don't think he's really learning carpentry; he's only playing at it.我看他并不真正在学木工,他只是在玩玩罢了。
You're only playing at boxing.你只是在随随便便打拳击。
- 玩…; 参加… take part in (a game)( against sb) play at sth/v-ing
- play back( v.+adv. )
把…打回给对方 return (a ball) to an opposing player play sth ⇔ back
He played the ball back close to the net.他把球击回到对方靠近球网的地方。
后退一步接球 take one step backwards before hitting the ball play back
When a fast ball lands short of you, you have to play back.当一个快球靠近你着地时,你得后退一步击球。
播放,重播 reproduce from a tape or disc after sth has been recorded play back
To record, press these two buttons together; then rewind, and then press the red button to play back.要录音就得一起按下这两个键,而后倒回,按下这个红键放音。play sth ⇔ back
When I play back the text, please listen carefully to see whether there are any mispronunciations in it.我放课文录音时请仔细听,看里面有没有发音错误。play sth back to sb
She played the tape back to us.她把录音带重放给我们听。
When we finished the recording we'll play it back to you.我们录完了就给你们放。
- 把…打回给对方 return (a ball) to an opposing player play sth ⇔ back
- play down( v.+adv. )
轻描淡写,故意缩小…的重要性 try to make appear less important than it is play sth/oneself ⇔ down
Somehow Harriet always tried to play herself down to her friends.不知为什么哈丽特总是竭力使自己在朋友们中间显得无足轻重。
He will play down the financial difficulties of the company.他将轻描淡写公司的财政困难。
In a crisis it is best to play down the emotional issue.在危机当中对感情问题最好轻描淡写些。
和善地对待,放下架子 deliberately talk to or behave towards sb so that he does not feel inferior, in order to win support or favor play down to sb
Taylor used to play down to most of his employees.泰勒经常放下架子对待他的大部分员工。
Politicians have to learn to play down to the voters.政治家必须学会对选民放下架子。
- 轻描淡写,故意缩小…的重要性 try to make appear less important than it is play sth/oneself ⇔ down
- play for( v.+prep. )
为了…而… perform (sth such as music or a play) so as to gain (sth such as a result) play for sth
On the village green, where you pick up sides and no feeling of local patriotism is involved, it is possible to play simply for the fun and exercise.在村庄的草地上,你临时组成了比赛球队,不牵涉到地方观念,那么,你可以纯粹为娱乐或锻炼而打球。play sth for sth
Never play cards for money.永远别为赌钱而玩牌。
She dreams of the day when she will be playing the piano for a living.她梦想着有朝一日能以演奏钢琴为生。
代表…一方 be an active member of (a team); represent a game play for sth
All promising young cricketers would like to play for England.所有年轻有为的板球运动员都愿意为英格兰打球。play sth for sth
She plays hockey for England.她在英格兰队打曲棍球。
- 为了…而… perform (sth such as music or a play) so as to gain (sth such as a result) play for sth
- play in1( v.+adv. )
以音乐迎接 play music while sb enters
The band played the guests in. 乐队奏乐迎宾。
使自己进入比赛状态 accustom oneself to playing
The team took a few minutes to play itself in. 队员们在比赛前花了几分钟的时间使自己进入状态。
I need a few more minutes to play myself in. 我还需要几分钟才能适应。
- 以音乐迎接 play music while sb enters
- play in2( v.+prep. )
在…玩耍 amuse oneself (with a game) in sth such as a place play in sth
It's healthy for children to play in the fresh air.在新鲜空气中玩耍有益于孩子的健康。
The local farmer used to let us play in his fields.那个当地农夫常常让我们在他的地里玩。play sth in sth
Why are children not allowed to play ball games in the park?为什么不让孩子在公园里玩球?
在…演奏; 在…扮演角色 perform sth in a place play in sth
Many of the workers play in the factory's brass band.许多工人都在工厂铜管乐队中演奏。
A famous actress is to play in our next production.一位著名女演员将在我们下一出剧目中扮演角色。play sb/sth in sth/v-ing
What an honour to play the drums in the town band!在市乐队中击鼓是多么光荣啊!
The United States played a key role in getting the hostages released.美国在促使人质获释方面起了重要作用。用于 be ～ed 结构
This piece is not suitable to be played in the open air.这个曲子不适合在露天演奏。
(使)在比赛中占…位置 (cause to) fill a position in a team game play in sth
But I've never played in a defence position.但我从来没当过后卫。play sb in sth
I think we should play one of the younger men in goal.我认为我们应该从更年轻的队员中选一位守门员。
- 在…玩耍 amuse oneself (with a game) in sth such as a place play in sth
- play like( v.+prep. )
像…那样表演 perform (music, an instrument, a character) in the manner of (sb/sth) play like sb
All horn players wish they could play like Mr. Brain.所有的管乐演奏者都希望自己能像布莱恩先生一样地演奏。
The pianist played like a man possessed by devils.这个钢琴家演奏起来就像着了魔似的。
轻而易举地控制住… control sb easily play sb like a fish
One of the secrets of the speaker's success is his ability to play his opponent like a fish.这位讲演者成功的秘诀之一就是他能轻而易举地控制住他的对手。
- 像…那样表演 perform (music, an instrument, a character) in the manner of (sb/sth) play like sb
- play off( v.+adv. )
重新比赛,加赛 play again play sth ⇔ off
The two equal winners had to play off an additional game to decide the winner of the whole competition.并列的那两名优胜者还要进行加赛以决定整个比赛的优胜者。用于 be ～ed 结构
The tie will be played off this afternoon.今天下午将再比赛一次来决定胜负以解决这个平局。
The match between the joint leaders will be played off tomorrow.两个优胜队明天决赛。
取笑 make fun of sb play sb ⇔ off
We must not try to play off the boy troubled with a stammer.我们不可以去取笑这个有口吃病的男孩。
- 重新比赛,加赛 play again play sth ⇔ off
- play off against( v.+adv.+prep. )
完成同其他优胜者的平分比赛 finish playing (equal games) against (the other winner)
The top teams in each group will play off seven games against each other. 各组的优胜者还要相互比赛七次。
(使)相互争斗以坐收渔利 oppose one person to another, for one's own advantage
She played her enemies off against each other. 她挑动对手,让他们之间相互争斗。
He played off Kane against Carlton until both were too angry with each other to attack him. 他挑起凯恩与卡尔顿之间的矛盾,直到两个人相互怒气冲冲而无暇来攻击他。
- 完成同其他优胜者的平分比赛 finish playing (equal games) against (the other winner)
- play on1( v.+adv. )
继续比赛 continue to play play on
As there was still plenty of light, the teams decided to play on.天还很亮,球队决定继续进行比赛。
- 继续比赛 continue to play play on
- play on2〔upon〕( v.+prep. )
在…玩 amuse oneself on (sth such as an object or place) play on〔upon〕 sth
The baby is playing on the ground.婴儿正在地上玩。
Don't play upon the carpet.别在地毯上玩。
演奏… perform on (a musical instrument) play on〔upon〕 sth
While he sang,I played on the flute.他唱歌,我吹笛伴奏。
I can play upon the piano very well.我弹钢琴弹得很好。play sth on〔upon〕 sth
He was playing an old tune on his flute.他用笛子吹奏一首老曲子。
He just sits in his room playing records on his stereo.他只是坐在房间里放立体声唱片。
(使)在…荡漾,(使)喷射在…上 (cause to) pass over; (cause to) be directed onto (sth) play on〔upon〕 sth
She watched the sunlight playing on the water.她注视着水面上闪烁的阳光。
The sunlight plays on water.阳光在水面上荡漾。
The searchlights played on the clouds.探照灯扫过云端。
His mind played on the idea of going away for a holiday.他心里动着度假的念头。play sth on〔upon〕 sth
The firemen played their hoses on the burning building.消防队员用水龙头喷射燃烧着的建筑物。
He played a searchlight on an object.他用探照灯照射目标。
对…加以利用 take advantage of (sb's emotions , fears, incredulity, sympathies, etc.) play on〔upon〕 sth
By playing upon the old lady's fears, the criminals were able to persuade her to give them her money.罪犯们利用老太太恐惧的心理,终于使她把钱交了出来。
- 在…玩 amuse oneself on (sth such as an object or place) play on〔upon〕 sth
- play out( v.+adv. )
在户外玩耍 play out of doors play out
It's too wet for the children to play out today; they'll have to amuse themselves indoors.今天外面太潮,孩子们不宜在户外玩耍,他们得在室内玩了。
进行到底 perform to the end play sth ⇔ out
Shall we call it a draw, or play it out?我们是算平局呢,还是继续比赛决出胜负?
As neither of the two teams had gained any points, they decided to play the match out until a goal had been scored.由于两队都没有得分,所以他们决定继续比下去,直到一方射门得分。
演完,做完 finish performing (a play) or playing (a game) play out
When they played out, there is a smile on their face.当他们演完时,他们的脸上露出了笑容。play sth ⇔ out
The children succeeded in playing out the comedy within two hours.孩子们成功地在两小时内演完那出喜剧。
以音乐送走 play music while sb leaves play sb ⇔ out
The band played the guests out.乐队奏乐送客。
The pianist played the happy pair out with the Wedding March .钢琴家弹奏着《婚礼进行曲》送走了这对幸福的新婚夫妇。
逐渐放开 unreel or unfold (a line, etc.) play out
The rubber hose is playing out.卷着的橡皮管正在逐渐放开。play sth ⇔ out
Let's play out the rope.让我们把卷着的绳索放开。
疲倦,用完 exhaust; use up play sb/sth ⇔ out
We hope we have not yet played out our supplies.我们希望贮备的东西还没用完。用于 be ～ed 结构
Having walked eighty li that day, some of them were played out at the end.那天走了80里,结果他们中有几个人感到疲倦极了。
- 在户外玩耍 play out of doors play out
- play over1( v.+adv. )
重新演奏或比赛 play again play sth ⇔ over
They play over the whole symphony.他们把整个交响乐重新演奏了一遍。
- 重新演奏或比赛 play again play sth ⇔ over
- play over2( v.+prep. )
(使)在…荡漾或闪动; (使)喷射在…上 (cause to) pass over play over sth
I saw a secret smile playing over his lips.我看到一丝诡秘的微笑掠过他的嘴角。play sth over sth
The watchers played a powerful light over the whole sky, searching for enemy planes.哨兵们向整个天空发射强大的光柱,搜寻敌机。
- (使)在…荡漾或闪动; (使)喷射在…上 (cause to) pass over play over sth
- play through( v.+adv. )
进行到底 complete the playing of sth play sth ⇔ through
Let's see if we can play the whole piece through without a mistake.让我们看看能否奏完整支曲子而不出错。
保持不败 keep winning games play through
Our team played through right up to the last game.我们队一直到最后一场都保持不败的纪录。
连续打下去 continue playing while others in front of one wait for one to go past play through
We'll give you a few minutes to play through.我们再给你几分钟时间让你连续打下去。
- 进行到底 complete the playing of sth play sth ⇔ through
- play up( v.+adv. )
努力,积极地比赛 do one's best, play or move vigorously play up
Play up! It's your turn.加油啊!轮到你了。
Play up! My friend.努力啊!我的朋友。
Play up! Play the game.加油!别犯规。
夸大 give excessive importance to sth play sth ⇔ up
In the interview you should play up your experience of working abroad.在面试时你应当强调你在国外的工作经历。
She played up her past achievements just to impress us.她夸耀过去的成绩就是让我们觉得她了不起。
为…做广告 advertise sth play sth ⇔ up 用于 be ～ed 结构
This new film will attract the crowds, whatever its quality, provided that it gets played up in the right way.如果广告做得好,那么,无论这部新片子的质量如何,都会吸引许多观众的。
出了毛病 not work properly play up
The washing machine is playing up again.洗衣机又出毛病了。
The engine began playing up.引擎开始出毛病了。
给(某人)找麻烦,使(某人)感到难受 behave mischievously; cause trouble play up
Don't let the children play up.别让孩子们调皮捣蛋。
The children are very active, but never play up.这些孩子很淘气,但从不惹麻烦。
My shoulder is playing up horribly.我的肩膀痛得厉害。play sb ⇔ up
This wretched rheumatism has been playing me up.这讨厌的风湿病又在找我的麻烦了。
- 努力,积极地比赛 do one's best, play or move vigorously play up
- play up to( v.+adv.+prep. )
担任配角 assist (another actor)
Your job as a supporting actor is to play up to the leading character. 作为一个配角,你的工作是与主角配合。
He seems to want two good actors to play up to him. 看来他需要两个好演员来配合。
博取…的欢心 try to win the favour of sb
Helen is always playing up to people who may be able to help her. 海伦老是讨好那些可能帮助她的人。
She's always playing up to the boss. 她总是讨好老板。
- 担任配角 assist (another actor)
- play with( v.+prep. )
同…一起玩 amuse oneself with sb
Alatook's sister was playing with her friends near the house. 阿拉吐克的妹妹正和伙伴们在屋子附近玩。
The kid was playing with his ball while old Maggie sat dozing off in a deck chair. 孩子在玩皮球,老玛吉在帆布躺椅上睡觉。
Don't play cards with your brother. 不要和你兄弟玩牌。
I am playing chess with my father. 我正在和爸爸下棋。
玩弄… treat (sb/sth)
The boss attempted to play with his woman secretary. 老板企图玩弄他的女秘书。
It is wrong for a man to play with a woman's affections. 男人玩弄女人的感情是错误的。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
He's not a man to be played with. 他可不是个可受耍弄的人。
(不太认真地)考虑 think about (often carelessly)
She has often played with the idea of going abroad. 她经常有出国的念头。
- 同…一起玩 amuse oneself with sb
- at play
The children are at play. 孩子们正在玩耍。
He spent his leisure hours at play with his four sisters. 他闲暇时与四个姐妹一起玩耍。
The children are now at play in the court. 孩子们现在正在院子里玩。
- 在游戏 playing
- bring into play
发挥 cause sth to have an influence bring sth into play
We must bring all positive factors into play.我们必须调动一切积极因素。
This financial crisis has brought new factors into play.这次金融危机引发新的因素起作用了。
He brought all his strength into play to move the rock.他使足了劲去搬动那块石头。
He had to bring all his experience into play to beat this difficult opponent.他不得不运用他的全部经验来击败这个难对付的对手。
- 发挥 cause sth to have an influence bring sth into play
- come into play
积极活动或起作用 be active or have an influence
Now that television has become important in elections, a new set of circumstances has come into play. 既然电视在选举中已变得十分重要,那么一系列新的情况已经开始发生影响。
All your faculties have come into play in your work. 在你的工作中,你的全部才能已起到了作用。
Personal feelings should not come into play when one has to make business decisions. 为公事作决策不应掺杂个人情感。
- 积极活动或起作用 be active or have an influence
- in play
开玩笑地,打趣地 as a joke; not seriously
The remark was only made in play. 那话只是说着玩的。
She only did it in play — she didn't really mean it. 她只是闹着玩,不是有意的。
处于比赛状态,活球 playing; in a position where the rules of the game allow it to be played
While the ball is in play, no player may leave the field. 在比赛中没有选手可以退出场地。
The football rolled towards the edge of the pitch, but he managed to keep it in play. 足球向草地边缘滚去,他好不容易才使它没变成死球。
He lost a lot of money in play. 他赌输了很多钱。
- 开玩笑地,打趣地 as a joke; not seriously
- make a play for
为得到意想的结果而采取行动 perform actions that are designed to achieve a desired result
She was making a big play for the leadership of the party. 她千方百计要当党的领导。
He was making a play for the prettiest girl in the college. 他挖空心思想勾引那所学院中最漂亮的女生。
- 为得到意想的结果而采取行动 perform actions that are designed to achieve a desired result
- out of play
出界,死球 not in a position where the rules of the game allow it to be played
The defender kicked the ball out of play. 防守者把球踢到界外。
The judge ruled that the ball was out of play and so the point did not count. 裁判判定球已出界,所以得分无效。
- 出界,死球 not in a position where the rules of the game allow it to be played
- play on words
English humour consists of plays on words. 许多英语幽默都运用了双关语。
- 双关语 pun
- play basketball 打篮球
- play cards 打牌
- play chess 下棋
- play football 踢足球
- play hockey 打曲棍球
- play tag 捉迷藏
- play song 演奏一首歌
- play the guitar 弹吉他
- play the piano 弹钢琴
- play joke 开玩笑
- play a part 起作用
- play a person false 出卖某人
- play a role 起作用
- play game 遵照规则
- play safety 求稳
- play badly 不善于利用机会
- play beautifully 弹得很美
- play carefully 认真地玩
- play cleverly 玩得巧妙
- play delicately 柔和而细腻地演奏
- play exquisitely 精妙入微地演奏
- play vigorously 玩得很起劲
- play about 玩耍
- play along 合作
- play around 玩弄
- play away time 虚度光阴
- play away youth 虚度青春
- play back (录音机)倒回重放
- play down 缩小…的重要性
- play in 以音乐迎接,使自己进入状态
- play off 表演,假装
- play on 继续
- play over 重新演奏
- play out 用完,做完,进行到底
- play through 进行到底
- play up 大肆宣传,强调
- play against opponent 与对手竞争
- play at baseball 玩棒球
- play at hide-and-seek 玩捉迷藏
- play by ear 不看乐谱演奏
- play by turns 轮流玩
- play for money 赌钱
- play for one's team 为…队效力
- play for time 赢得时间
- play into each other's hands 互相勾结
- play into hands of sb 中了某人的计
- play of one against other (another) 使双方互斗以坐收渔利
- play to opponent's forehand 打对方的正手
- play with child 和小孩一起玩
- play with fate 摆布命运
- play with fire 玩火,做危险之事
- play with matches 玩火柴
- play with water 玩水
- act play 演戏
- allow play 充分发挥
- buy play 买剧本
- commend play 赞赏剧本
- criticize play 批评戏剧
- follow a play 看戏
- give a play 演一出戏
- go to play 去看戏
- novelize a play 把剧本改写成小说
- perform play 演戏
- present play 上演戏剧
- produce play 上演戏剧
- put on play 演戏
- render a play 演某出剧
- review play 评论戏剧
- see play 看戏
- show play 演戏
- sit out a play 一直坐到演出结束
- sponsor play 为电视播放戏剧出资
- stage play 上演戏剧
- telecast a play 电视播放一出戏
- touch play 修改剧本
- work on play 写剧本
- write play 写剧本
- bring sth into play 发挥,调动,利用,使活动
- call sth into play 发挥,调动,利用,使活动
- come into play 起作用,开始活动
- hold in play 牵制
- make play for 挖空心思地吸引(某人)
- put ball into play 开球
- ambitious play 雄心勃勃的比赛
- boisterous play 兴高采烈的比赛
- brawling play 喧闹的比赛
- careless play 无忧无虑的游玩
- ceaseless play 不停的玩
- exciting play 紧张的比赛
- expert play 精彩的比赛
- fair play 公平的比赛,光明正大的行为,光明磊落
- fine play 精彩的动作
- full play 拼命活动,全力运转
- good play 漂亮的动作
- pretty play 精彩的比赛
- rough play 粗野的比赛
- comic play 喜剧
- contemporary play 现代剧
- double play 双打
- experimental play 试验剧
- historical play 历史剧
- humorous play 幽默剧,滑稽剧
- modern play 现代剧
- musical play 音乐剧
- mystery play 神秘剧
- new play 新剧
- numerous play 大量剧本
- propagandist play 宣传剧
- realistic play 现实主义戏剧
- symbolic play 象征派戏剧
- traditional play 传统戏剧
- broadcast play 广播剧
- miracle play (中世纪表演基督教《圣经》故事的)奇迹剧
- one-act play 独幕剧
- passion play 耶稣受难剧
- stage play 舞台剧
- team play 团体赛,全队协作
- after play 戏演完后
- at play 看戏时,在玩,正在游戏
- by a play 靠发挥…
- for play 玩
- in play 在剧中,界内球,不是死球
- into play 发挥,发扬
- of play 爱玩
- out of play 出界
That enchanting play of fancy which had once characterized her.出自：Disraeli
There is an invisible Agent..who plays in the dark upon us.出自：Sir T. Browne
- play单用时，表示“玩某种游戏”，有时可说play (at)，如play (at) football；
These boys play in the garden every morning.
- play with表示“玩（某物）”，如play with a ball；
- 表示“弹奏（乐器）”，现习惯上但用play，而不是play (up)on，如play the violin。
- play可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时接表示球或乐器等名词、代词或that从句作宾语。有时还可接双宾语,其间接宾语可转化成介词to或for的宾语,还可接由“(as+) n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。可用于被动结构。play还可用作系动词,后接形容词或名词作表语。
- 当play后接名词用于演出中作“扮演”解时,一般析为及物动词; 作“假装…玩”解时,常析为系动词。
- play后接表示球类或牌等名词时,其前不加冠词the; 而接乐器时则必须加冠词the,在美式英语中the有时也可以省略。当play用于一般现在时时,宾语前不加冠词,表示经常或定期进行某项娱乐或活动。
- 在非正式书面语体中, play有时能以表示乐器的名词作主语,作“演奏”解,其主动形式含有被动意义。
- play后接球类时虽然不加冠词,但用game作宾语时要说play a game of,后接球类或游戏名称,意为“打一会儿”。例如:The children want to play a game of football.孩子们想玩一会儿足球。
- play, play at
这两个词(组)都可以表示“玩”,在多数情况下可以互换使用。其区别是：1.有些运动如golf, football或cricket一般不可用play at。例如:We are playing golf.我们正在打高尔夫球。2.从前说play at cards〔chess,billiards〕等,现在一般不用play at,而用play。例如:Do you like to play cards?你愿意玩牌吗?但如果比赛的对象或玩的伙伴为play的宾语时, at则不可省略。例如:Will you play me at chess?你愿意和我下象棋吗?3.to play tennis强调宾语:打网球; 而to play at tennis侧重动词:以打网球消遣,打网球玩。4.在现代英语中,指成年人扮演角色时通常用play,而指孩子的模仿时常用play at。例如:The children played at soldiers.孩子们模仿士兵。The men play soldiers.成年人扮演士兵角色。
- play ball with, collaborate with, cooperate with, team up with
这组短语都表示“与…合作”的意思。其区别在于:cooperate是一般用语,强调“自愿”; collaborate有明显的感情色彩,与同伙人合作含褒义,与敌方合作表示“通敌”,含贬义; play ball with是非正式用法,多用于表示“狼狈为奸”; team up with则表示组成一个队或组共同做某事。
- We are going to play a team from the No. 6 Middle School.
- We are going to play with a team from the No. 6 Middle School.
- play football 踢足球
- play with football 玩弄一只足球
- They are playing with each other.
- play, game, match, sport, tournament
这组词的共同意思是“运动,竞技,比赛”。其区别在于:1.sport一般指体力运动,如爬山、滑水、钓鱼等; game指常有一定的规则,而且决定胜负的脑力或体力劳动的“竞技”; match多指网球、足球、高尔夫球等运动项目的比赛,常用在英国; play泛指无目的或结果的消遣或娱乐活动; tournament指通过不同级别的比赛而夺魁的体育项目“比赛”“锦标赛”“联赛”。例如:Swimming, fishing and horse racing are his favorite sports.游泳、钓鱼和赛马是他最喜欢的运动。The golf match will be held tomorrow morning.明天上午举行高尔夫球赛。Which side won the football game yesterday?昨天的足球赛哪一队赢了?He is fond of play.他喜欢玩。The International Table Tennis Friendship Invitational Tournament will be held in China this year.今年的国际乒乓球友谊邀请赛将在中国举行。2.sport和game既可指室内也可指室外的活动; match和tournament一般指室外活动。3.网球赛一局称game,加起来称为match。
- at play 在游戏
- in play 开玩笑
- be at play 在玩耍
- be at the play 在看戏
- bring into play 发挥
- come into play 起作用
误 Please come to my home and play when you have time.
正 Please come and see me when you have time.
误 That evening they played very enthusiastically.
正 They had a very good time that evening.
正 They enjoyed themselves that evening.
误 The foreign students in our school often play with us.
正 The foreign students in our school often join our recreational activities.
析 在现代英语中, play用作不及物动词表示“玩”时,几乎只能用于儿童、动物或用于玩笑口吻中。不可把汉语“玩”一律译成play。
错句：when he was playing his toys, tom came in.
纠正：when he was playing with his toys, tom came in.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的pleagin，意为快速移动；最初源自日耳曼语西支的plegan，意为繁忙。
- have fun玩得开心
- fool around闲荡
- take part参加
- stage play话剧
- cut loose不受约束
- pageant 盛会
- dramatic play表演游戏
- free rein完全的行动自由...
- child's play容易干的事
- act as担任
- take on承担
- make for走向
- playact 把 ... 表演出来...
- in在 ... 里
- take the part of袒护(支持)
- engage in从事
- embark on上（船、飞机等）...
- into到 ... 里
- launch into投入
- on在 ... 之上
- make an effort努力
- player n. 游戏的人,打牌的人,选手,比赛者;演员;演奏者‖playful adj. 活泼快乐的；爱玩的;戏谑的,闹着玩的
- PLAY:Participate in the Lives of America's Youth (Nike)参与了生命的美国青年(耐克)
- PLAY:Project Literacy Among Youth工程素质在青年人中
- PLAY:Players International, Inc.玩家国际有限公司
- play:play 介绍 专辑名称：PLAY演唱歌手：S.H.E唱片公司：华研国际发行日期：2007-5-11专辑语种：国语专辑1CD专辑介绍：S.H.E「十」力再现！ 五月中【PLAY】出辑！ 耗资25…