- v. 玩；比赛；（在运动队中）担当；派...出场；带；踢；击（球）；走（棋子）；出牌；演奏；播放；扮演；假装；上演；发挥（作用）；应付；处理；掠过；浮现；使轻快地活动；（喷泉）喷涌；做游戏
- n. 游戏；戏剧；比赛；发挥作用；玩笑；间隙；闪烁；闪现
- 晃动，摇曳，摇动， 摇晃
- 跳来跳去，飞来飞去， 翩翩飞舞
- vt. & vi. 玩,玩耍 amuse oneself with a game, using toys, running and jumping, etc.; hit and send a ball
- vt. & vi. 参加比赛 take part in a game; compete against sb in a game
- vt. & vi. 演奏 perform on (a musical instrument); perform playing
- [U]游戏,玩耍,娱乐 activity done for amusement , especially by children recreation
- [U]比赛,竞赛,运动 playing of a game
- [C]戏剧,剧本 work written to be performed by actors; drama
a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage;
"he wrote several plays but only one was produced on Broadway"
a theatrical performance of a drama;
"the play lasted two hours"
a preset plan of action in team sports;
"the coach drew up the plays for her team"
a deliberate coordinated movement requiring dexterity and skill;
"he made a great maneuver"
"the runner was out on a play by the shortstop"
a state in which action is feasible;
"the ball was still in play"
"insiders said the company's stock was in play"
utilization or exercise;
"the play of the imagination"
an attempt to get something;
"they made a futile play for power"
"he made a bid to gain attention"
activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules;
"Freud believed in the utility of play to a small child"
(in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds;
"rain stopped play in the 4th inning"
the removal of constraints;
"he gave free rein to his impulses"
"they gave full play to the artist's talent"
a weak and tremulous light;
"the shimmer of colors on iridescent feathers"
"the play of light on the water"
verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously);
"he became a figure of fun"
"he said it in sport"
movement or space for movement;
"there was too much play in the steering wheel"
gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement;
"it was all done in play"
"their frolic in the surf threatened to become ugly"
(game) the activity of doing something in an agreed succession;
"it is my turn"
"it is still my play"
the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize);
"his gambling cost him a fortune"
"there was heavy play at the blackjack table"
the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully
participate in games or sport;
"We played hockey all afternoon"
"Pele played for the Brazilian teams in many important matches"
act or have an effect in a specified way or with a specific effect or outcome;
"This factor played only a minor part in his decision"
"This development played into her hands"
"I played no role in your dismissal"
play on an instrument;
"The band played all night long"
play a role or part;
"Gielgud played Hamlet"
"She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"
"She played the servant to her husband's master"
be at play; be engaged in playful activity; amuse oneself in a way characteristic of children;
"The kids were playing outside all day"
"I used to play with trucks as a little girl"
replay (as a melody);
"Play it again, Sam"
"She played the third movement very beautifully"
perform music on (a musical instrument);
"He plays the flute"
"Can you play on this old recorder?"
pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind;
"He acted the idiot"
"She plays deaf when the news are bad"
move or seem to move quickly, lightly, or irregularly;
"The spotlights played on the politicians"
bet or wager (money);
"He played $20 on the new horse"
"She plays the races"
engage in recreational activities rather than work; occupy oneself in a diversion;
"On weekends I play"
"The students all recreate alike"
pretend to be somebody in the framework of a game or playful activity;
"Let's play like I am mommy"
"Play cowboy and Indians"
emit recorded sound;
"The tape was playing for hours"
"the stereo was playing Beethoven when I entered"
perform on a certain location;
"The prodigy played Carnegie Hall at the age of 16"
"She has been playing on Broadway for years"
put (a card or piece) into play during a game, or act strategically as if in a card game;
"He is playing his cards close to his chest"
"The Democrats still have some cards to play before they will concede the electoral victory"
engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously;
"They played games on their opponents"
"play the stock market"
"play with her feelings"
"toy with an idea"
behave in a certain way;
"play it safe"
cause to emit recorded audio or video;
"They ran the tapes over and over again"
"I'll play you my favorite record"
"He never tires of playing that video"
manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination;
"She played nervously with her wedding ring"
"Don't fiddle with the screws"
"He played with the idea of running for the Senate"
use to one's advantage;
"She plays on her clients' emotions"
consider not very seriously;
"He is trifling with her"
"She plays with the thought of moving to Tasmania"
be received or accepted or interpreted in a specific way;
"This speech didn't play well with the American public"
"His remarks played to the suspicions of the committee"
behave carelessly or indifferently;
"Play about with a young girl's affection"
cause to move or operate freely within a bounded space;
"The engine has a wheel that is playing in a rack"
perform on a stage or theater;
"She acts in this play"
"He acted in `Julius Caesar'"
"I played in `A Christmas Carol'"
be performed or presented for public viewing;
"What's playing in the local movie theater?"
"`Cats' has been playing on Broadway for many years"
cause to happen or to occur as a consequence;
"I cannot work a miracle"
"play a joke"
"The rain brought relief to the drought-stricken area"
discharge or direct or be discharged or directed as if in a continuous stream;
"play water from a hose"
"The fountains played all day"
"Play the races"
"play the casinos in Trouville"
stake on the outcome of an issue;
"I bet $100 on that new horse"
"She played all her money on the dark horse"
shoot or hit in a particular manner;
"She played a good backhand last night"
use or move;
"I had to play my queen"
employ in a game or in a specific position;
"They played him on first base"
contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle;
"Princeton plays Yale this weekend"
"Charlie likes to play Mary"
exhaust by allowing to pull on the line;
"play a hooked fish"
- Once he is free, he will play computer games.
- The boy rushed his homework through and went out to play.
- On Saturday France plays Rugby against Wales.
- I've never played right back before.
- I think we should play Matt on the wing.
- She played the ball and ran forward.
- You must play a spade if you have one.
- I could hear music playing on the radio.
- Gloria plays the violin in the London Philharmonic.
- My favourite song was playing on the radio.
- You play the fool and I play the clown.
- She had played Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire.
- I decided it was safer to play dead.
- Music play a key role in people's daily life.
- He played the situation carefully for maximum advantage.
- Moonlight played on the surface of the lake.
- They played a joke on me.
- Students are running round a chair to play a game.
- She watched the children at play in the park.
- The Crucible is a play by Arthur Miller.
- The applause made it evident that the play was a hit.
- The wet and muddy conditions determined the style of play.
- Personal feelings should not come into play when one has to make business decisions.
- He works hard not to impress his boss but to give his ability into full play.
- Clearly, his play yet irritated all of his friends.
- We need more play in the rope.
- Let's go out and play.
- Can Bob come out to play?
- Children like to play.
- Work while you work, play while you play.
- Don't play all day long, boy.
- The children play indoors when it rains.
- Our best defender is injured and won't be able to play today.
- The band is playing.
- The old piano won't play.
- He went to playing until he had lost everything.
- I am going to the National Theatre, where Hamlet is now playing this evening.
- Is the phonograph playing?
- I could hear music playing on the radio.
- The radio is playing too loudly.
- The second actor plays well.
- There was a pond in the garden in which a fountain played.
- He played the truant.
- I was up early and down late, set my own hand to everything, took dangers as they came, and for once in my life played the man.
- He's a hard opponent to beat down, but at least he plays fair.
- The dog played dead.
- The boys like the principal because he always plays fair.
- They did not play fair in the matter.
- I thought I should play safe by keeping the old machine until the new one actually arrived, in case there was any delay.
- The children don't know how to play the game.
- They are playing football.
- Do you like to play volleyball?
- Many boys are fond of playing basketball.
- We usually play badminton in the evening.
- I like to play golf, but I'm not a very good player.
- Can you play chess?
- They had decided not to play their best player because she had a bad cold.
- We are playing Shanghai team next Sunday.
- Can you play the horn?
- He plays the piano surprisingly well.
- Jane is too nervous to play the piano in public.
- He played a Beethoven sonata yesterday.
- A piano was playing There is a Small Hotel.
- The radio played dirges all day long.
- I'll play a tape first. Please listen carefully.
- They are playing doctors and nurses.
- Let's play pirates.
- She likes to play the great lady.
- She played Queen Victoria like old Queen herself.
- Shall I play my Jack or my Queen?
- I don't know how you want to play this meeting.
- Let's play that I'm the teacher and you're the pupil.
- He played that he was a bridegroom.
- I'll play you a game of cards.
- Yesterday he played them a marching song.
- Play us something happy.
- Will you play us a waltz, please.
- He played me a trick.
- He played her a nasty trick by taking all the money.
- Mary was played a nasty trick by a villain.
- He'd written a tune, and played it to us on the piano.
- Emma will only play her piano pieces to a small group of friends.
- Please play some more Mozart for us.
- He played his favourite record for me.
- I trusted my friend with my money, but he played me false and disappeared with it.
- It may not rain, but you'd better play it safe and take a raincoat.
- There was a record playing in the next room.
- His life is all work and no play.
- All work and no play isn't a good thing.
- No one who has not been working can truly enjoy play.
- We did all our work and all our play.
- It is time for play.
- He's very fond of play.
- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
- Rain stopped the play.
- That's not fair play.
- The tennis players need total concentration during play.
- We've had an interesting day's play in the cricket match.
- There was some excellent play in yesterday's match.
- There was some nice play from the United in the second half.
- There was some exciting play near the end of the game.
- They were penalized for too much rough play.
- There were some rough plays in that hockey game.
- The play caught on well.
- The play ran for two years on Broadway.
- When does the play begin?
- We are going to see the new play at the Playhouse.
- I saw the play a couple of years ago.
- She has just written a new play.
- This is the play of supernatural forces in human destiny.
- Give your rope some play— don't keep it so tight.
- There's too much play in the steering wheel.
- He gave full play to his feelings and began to shout angrily.
- Before the building there is a fountain with a leaping play of water.
- I could feel the play of wind.
- He won 1000 pounds in last night's play.
- It is high play.
- Whose play is it?
- It's your play.
- play about〔around〕1( v.+adv. )
玩耍 spend time having fun
The children are playing about.
He plays around all the day.
You're old enough now to stop playing around and start earning a living.
- play about〔around〕2( v.+prep. )
在…附近玩耍 have fun or spend time near (sth)
play about〔around〕 sth
Why do you always play about the river?
Tell the children not to play around the power station.
- play about〔around〕 with( v.+adv.+prep. )
与…发生不正当关系 have an improper relationship with (sb, usually of the opposite sex)
play about〔around〕 with sth
It is dangerous for children to play about with knife.
Stop playing around with that gun.
别摆弄那支枪。play about〔around〕 with sth
Who's been playing about with my papers?
He played around with the clothes again.
他又把衣服翻乱了。play about〔around〕 with sb
You shouldn't play about with another woman's husband.
I warned you not to play around with married women; it always leads to trouble.
- play against( v.+prep. )
与…进行比赛 oppose (sb or a team) in sport
play against sb/sth
May I play against you?
I see we're playing against my old school next month!
- play along1( v.+adv. )
play sb along
They have played me along for some time, without telling me what they really want.
Since I have no choice,I'd better play along .
I will play along if you have made all arrangements.
如果你已经全都安排好了,我会合作的。play along with sb/sth
She was in charge, so I had to play along with her odd ideas.
- play along2( v.+prep. )
(使)沿…闪动,荡漾 (cause to) be directed along (sth)
play along sth
The sunlight played along the water ahead of us, making it difficult to see where the boat was going.
阳光在我们眼前的水面上荡漾,晃得我们都看不清小船向哪里驶去了。play sth along sth
They played the water along the whole side of the burning building.
- play as( v.+prep. )
把…演奏成… play music so as to seem sth
play as sb
He has once played as defence before.
他以前打过后卫。play sb as sb/sth
The captain wants to play Mills as defence in our next game.
队长想让密尔斯在下次比赛中打后卫。play sb as sb
The director would like you to play the sister as a sympathetic character.
Hamlet is usually played as a sorrowful person who cannot make decisions or take action.
哈姆雷特常被演成一个优柔寡断的伤感型人物。play sth as sth
Play the piece as music and not as a struggle between yourself and your instrument.
- play at( v.+prep. )
漫不经心地做… do sth without seriousness
play at sth/v-ing
The children often play at hide-and-seek here.
We watched the kindergartners playing at camping out this afternoon.
今天下午我们看了幼儿园的孩子做野营游戏。play sb at sth
Don't play Father at cards; he always wins.
别和父亲打牌,他总是赢。play at sth
A world-famous violinist is playing at tonight's concert.
一位世界著名的小提琴家将在今晚的音乐会上演奏。play sb/sth at sth
They're playing Carment at the Coliseum.
Who is playing Hamlet at Stratford this year?
今年谁在斯特拉福演哈姆雷特?play at sth
He is always playing at centre.
他一直踢中锋。play sb at sth
The captain wants to play Brown at left half in the next game.
队长打算在下次比赛中让布朗踢左前卫.play at sb/v-ing
Let's play at pirates.
A party of children played at soldiers, at catching a spy, and at keeping house.
一群孩子们玩打仗、抓特务、过家家等游戏。play at sth/v-ing
You cannot learn anything if you just play at it.
His parents are so rich that he can just play at business.
He's only playing at his job in the city; he's much more interested in being a racing driver.
I don't think he's really learning carpentry; he's only playing at it.
You're only playing at boxing.
- play back( v.+adv. )
播放,重播 reproduce from a tape or disc after sth has been recorded
play sth ⇔ back
He played the ball back close to the net.
When a fast ball lands short of you, you have to play back.
To record, press these two buttons together; then rewind, and then press the red button to play back.
要录音就得一起按下这两个键,而后倒回,按下这个红键放音。play sth ⇔ back
When I play back the text, please listen carefully to see whether there are any mispronunciations in it.
我放课文录音时请仔细听,看里面有没有发音错误。play sth back to sb
She played the tape back to us.
When we finished the recording we'll play it back to you.
- play down( v.+adv. )
和善地对待,放下架子 deliberately talk to or behave towards sb so that he does not feel inferior, in order to win support or favor
play sth/oneself ⇔ down
Somehow Harriet always tried to play herself down to her friends.
He will play down the financial difficulties of the company.
In a crisis it is best to play down the emotional issue.
在危机当中对感情问题最好轻描淡写些。play down to sb
Taylor used to play down to most of his employees.
Politicians have to learn to play down to the voters.
- play for( v.+prep. )
代表…一方 be an active member of (a team); represent a game
play for sth
On the village green, where you pick up sides and no feeling of local patriotism is involved, it is possible to play simply for the fun and exercise.
在村庄的草地上,你临时组成了比赛球队,不牵涉到地方观念,那么,你可以纯粹为娱乐或锻炼而打球。play sth for sth
Never play cards for money.
She dreams of the day when she will be playing the piano for a living.
她梦想着有朝一日能以演奏钢琴为生。play for sth
All promising young cricketers would like to play for England.
所有年轻有为的板球运动员都愿意为英格兰打球。play sth for sth
She plays hockey for England.
- play in1( v.+adv. )
使自己进入比赛状态 accustom oneself to playing
- play in2( v.+prep. )
(使)在比赛中占…位置 (cause to) fill a position in a team game
play in sth
It's healthy for children to play in the fresh air.
The local farmer used to let us play in his fields.
那个当地农夫常常让我们在他的地里玩。play sth in sth
Why are children not allowed to play ball games in the park?
为什么不让孩子在公园里玩球?play in sth
Many of the workers play in the factory's brass band.
A famous actress is to play in our next production.
一位著名女演员将在我们下一出剧目中扮演角色。play sb/sth in sth/v-ing
What an honour to play the drums in the town band!
The United States played a key role in getting the hostages released.
This piece is not suitable to be played in the open air.
这个曲子不适合在露天演奏。play in sth
But I've never played in a defence position.
但我从来没当过后卫。play sb in sth
I think we should play one of the younger men in goal.
- play like( v.+prep. )
轻而易举地控制住… control sb easily
play like sb
All horn players wish they could play like Mr. Brain.
The pianist played like a man possessed by devils.
这个钢琴家演奏起来就像着了魔似的。play sb like a fish
One of the secrets of the speaker's success is his ability to play his opponent like a fish.
- play off( v.+adv. )
取笑 make fun of sb
play sth ⇔ off
The two equal winners had to play off an additional game to decide the winner of the whole competition.
The tie will be played off this afternoon.
The match between the joint leaders will be played off tomorrow.
两个优胜队明天决赛。play sb ⇔ off
We must not try to play off the boy troubled with a stammer.
- play off against( v.+adv.+prep. )
(使)相互争斗以坐收渔利 oppose one person to another, for one's own advantage
- play on1( v.+adv. )
继续比赛 continue to play
As there was still plenty of light, the teams decided to play on.
- play on2〔upon〕( v.+prep. )
对…加以利用 take advantage of (sb's emotions , fears, incredulity, sympathies, etc.)
play on〔upon〕 sth
The baby is playing on the ground.
Don't play upon the carpet.
别在地毯上玩。play on〔upon〕 sth
While he sang,I played on the flute.
I can play upon the piano very well.
我弹钢琴弹得很好。play sth on〔upon〕 sth
He was playing an old tune on his flute.
He just sits in his room playing records on his stereo.
他只是坐在房间里放立体声唱片。play on〔upon〕 sth
She watched the sunlight playing on the water.
The sunlight plays on water.
The searchlights played on the clouds.
His mind played on the idea of going away for a holiday.
他心里动着度假的念头。play sth on〔upon〕 sth
The firemen played their hoses on the burning building.
He played a searchlight on an object.
他用探照灯照射目标。play on〔upon〕 sth
By playing upon the old lady's fears, the criminals were able to persuade her to give them her money.
- play out( v.+adv. )
疲倦,用完 exhaust; use up
It's too wet for the children to play out today; they'll have to amuse themselves indoors.
今天外面太潮,孩子们不宜在户外玩耍,他们得在室内玩了。play sth ⇔ out
Shall we call it a draw, or play it out?
As neither of the two teams had gained any points, they decided to play the match out until a goal had been scored.
When they played out, there is a smile on their face.
当他们演完时,他们的脸上露出了笑容。play sth ⇔ out
The children succeeded in playing out the comedy within two hours.
孩子们成功地在两小时内演完那出喜剧。play sb ⇔ out
The band played the guests out.
The pianist played the happy pair out with the Wedding March .
The rubber hose is playing out.
卷着的橡皮管正在逐渐放开。play sth ⇔ out
Let's play out the rope.
让我们把卷着的绳索放开。play sb/sth ⇔ out
We hope we have not yet played out our supplies.
Having walked eighty li that day, some of them were played out at the end.
- play over1( v.+adv. )
重新演奏或比赛 play again
play sth ⇔ over
They play over the whole symphony.
- play over2( v.+prep. )
(使)在…荡漾或闪动; (使)喷射在…上 (cause to) pass over
play over sth
I saw a secret smile playing over his lips.
我看到一丝诡秘的微笑掠过他的嘴角。play sth over sth
The watchers played a powerful light over the whole sky, searching for enemy planes.
- play through( v.+adv. )
连续打下去 continue playing while others in front of one wait for one to go past
play sth ⇔ through
Let's see if we can play the whole piece through without a mistake.
Our team played through right up to the last game.
We'll give you a few minutes to play through.
- play up( v.+adv. )
给(某人)找麻烦,使(某人)感到难受 behave mischievously; cause trouble
Play up! It's your turn.
Play up! My friend.
Play up! Play the game.
加油!别犯规。play sth ⇔ up
In the interview you should play up your experience of working abroad.
She played up her past achievements just to impress us.
她夸耀过去的成绩就是让我们觉得她了不起。play sth ⇔ up
This new film will attract the crowds, whatever its quality, provided that it gets played up in the right way.
The washing machine is playing up again.
The engine began playing up.
Don't let the children play up.
The children are very active, but never play up.
My shoulder is playing up horribly.
我的肩膀痛得厉害。play sb ⇔ up
This wretched rheumatism has been playing me up.
- play up to( v.+adv.+prep. )
博取…的欢心 try to win the favour of sb
- play with( v.+prep. )
(不太认真地)考虑 think about (often carelessly)
- at play
- bring into play
发挥 cause sth to have an influence
bring sth into play
We must bring all positive factors into play.
This financial crisis has brought new factors into play.
He brought all his strength into play to move the rock.
He had to bring all his experience into play to beat this difficult opponent.
- come into play
积极活动或起作用 be active or have an influence
- in play
- make a play for
为得到意想的结果而采取行动 perform actions that are designed to achieve a desired result
- out of play
出界,死球 not in a position where the rules of the game allow it to be played
- play on words
- play basketball 打篮球
- play cards 打牌
- play chess 下棋
- play football 踢足球
- play hockey 打曲棍球
- play tag 捉迷藏
- play song 演奏一首歌
- play the guitar 弹吉他
- play the piano 弹钢琴
- play joke 开玩笑
- play a part 起作用
- play a person false 出卖某人
- play a role 起作用
- play game 遵照规则
- play safety 求稳
- play badly 不善于利用机会
- play beautifully 弹得很美
- play carefully 认真地玩
- play cleverly 玩得巧妙
- play delicately 柔和而细腻地演奏
- play exquisitely 精妙入微地演奏
- play vigorously 玩得很起劲
- play about 玩耍
- play along 合作
- play around 玩弄
- play away time 虚度光阴
- play away youth 虚度青春
- play back (录音机)倒回重放
- play down 缩小…的重要性
- play in 以音乐迎接,使自己进入状态
- play off 表演,假装
- play on 继续
- play over 重新演奏
- play out 用完,做完,进行到底
- play through 进行到底
- play up 大肆宣传,强调
- play against opponent 与对手竞争
- play at baseball 玩棒球
- play at hide-and-seek 玩捉迷藏
- play by ear 不看乐谱演奏
- play by turns 轮流玩
- play for money 赌钱
- play for one's team 为…队效力
- play for time 赢得时间
- play into each other's hands 互相勾结
- play into hands of sb 中了某人的计
- play of one against other (another) 使双方互斗以坐收渔利
- play to opponent's forehand 打对方的正手
- play with child 和小孩一起玩
- play with fate 摆布命运
- play with fire 玩火,做危险之事
- play with matches 玩火柴
- play with water 玩水
- act play 演戏
- allow play 充分发挥
- buy play 买剧本
- commend play 赞赏剧本
- criticize play 批评戏剧
- follow a play 看戏
- give a play 演一出戏
- go to play 去看戏
- novelize a play 把剧本改写成小说
- perform play 演戏
- present play 上演戏剧
- produce play 上演戏剧
- put on play 演戏
- render a play 演某出剧
- review play 评论戏剧
- see play 看戏
- show play 演戏
- sit out a play 一直坐到演出结束
- sponsor play 为电视播放戏剧出资
- stage play 上演戏剧
- telecast a play 电视播放一出戏
- touch play 修改剧本
- work on play 写剧本
- write play 写剧本
- bring sth into play 发挥,调动,利用,使活动
- call sth into play 发挥,调动,利用,使活动
- come into play 起作用,开始活动
- hold in play 牵制
- make play for 挖空心思地吸引(某人)
- put ball into play 开球
- ambitious play 雄心勃勃的比赛
- boisterous play 兴高采烈的比赛
- brawling play 喧闹的比赛
- careless play 无忧无虑的游玩
- ceaseless play 不停的玩
- exciting play 紧张的比赛
- expert play 精彩的比赛
- fair play 公平的比赛,光明正大的行为,光明磊落
- fine play 精彩的动作
- full play 拼命活动,全力运转
- good play 漂亮的动作
- pretty play 精彩的比赛
- rough play 粗野的比赛
- comic play 喜剧
- contemporary play 现代剧
- double play 双打
- experimental play 试验剧
- historical play 历史剧
- humorous play 幽默剧,滑稽剧
- modern play 现代剧
- musical play 音乐剧
- mystery play 神秘剧
- new play 新剧
- numerous play 大量剧本
- propagandist play 宣传剧
- realistic play 现实主义戏剧
- symbolic play 象征派戏剧
- traditional play 传统戏剧
- broadcast play 广播剧
- miracle play (中世纪表演基督教《圣经》故事的)奇迹剧
- one-act play 独幕剧
- passion play 耶稣受难剧
- stage play 舞台剧
- team play 团体赛,全队协作
- after play 戏演完后
- at play 看戏时,在玩,正在游戏
- by a play 靠发挥…
- for play 玩
- in play 在剧中,界内球,不是死球
- into play 发挥,发扬
- of play 爱玩
- out of play 出界
That enchanting play of fancy which had once characterized her.出自： Disraeli
There is an invisible Agent..who plays in the dark upon us.出自： Sir T. Browne
- play可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时接表示球或乐器等名词、代词或that从句作宾语。有时还可接双宾语,其间接宾语可转化成介词to或for的宾语,还可接由“(as+) n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。可用于被动结构。play还可用作系动词,后接形容词或名词作表语。
- 当play后接名词用于演出中作“扮演”解时,一般析为及物动词; 作“假装…玩”解时,常析为系动词。
- play后接表示球类或牌等名词时,其前不加冠词the; 而接乐器时则必须加冠词the,在美式英语中the有时也可以省略。当play用于一般现在时时,宾语前不加冠词,表示经常或定期进行某项娱乐或活动。
- 在非正式书面语体中, play有时能以表示乐器的名词作主语,作“演奏”解,其主动形式含有被动意义。
- play单用时，表示“玩某种游戏”，有时可说play (at)，如play (at) football；
These boys play in the garden every morning.
- play with表示“玩（某物）”，如play with a ball；
- 表示“弹奏（乐器）”，现习惯上但用play，而不是play (up)on，如play the violin。
- play, play at
- 1.有些运动如golf, football或cricket一般不可用play at。例如:
- We are playing golf.我们正在打高尔夫球。
- 2.从前说play at cards〔chess,billiards〕等,现在一般不用play at,而用play。例如:
- Do you like to play cards?你愿意玩牌吗?但如果比赛的对象或玩的伙伴为play的宾语时, at则不可省略。例如:
- Will you play me at chess?你愿意和我下象棋吗?
- 3.to play tennis强调宾语:打网球; 而to play at tennis侧重动词:以打网球消遣,打网球玩。
- 4.在现代英语中,指成年人扮演角色时通常用play,而指孩子的模仿时常用play at。例如:
- The children played at soldiers.孩子们模仿士兵。
- The men play soldiers.成年人扮演士兵角色。
- play ball with, collaborate with, cooperate with, team up with
- cooperate是一般用语,强调“自愿”; collaborate有明显的感情色彩,与同伙人合作含褒义,与敌方合作表示“通敌”,含贬义; play ball with是非正式用法,多用于表示“狼狈为奸”; team up with则表示组成一个队或组共同做某事。
- We are going to play a team from the No. 6 Middle School.
- We are going to play with a team from the No. 6 Middle School.
- play football 踢足球
- play with football 玩弄一只足球
- They are playing with each other.
- play, game, match, sport, tournament
- 1.sport一般指体力运动,如爬山、滑水、钓鱼等; game指常有一定的规则,而且决定胜负的脑力或体力劳动的“竞技”; match多指网球、足球、高尔夫球等运动项目的比赛,常用在英国; play泛指无目的或结果的消遣或娱乐活动; tournament指通过不同级别的比赛而夺魁的体育项目“比赛”“锦标赛”“联赛”。例如:
- Swimming, fishing and horse racing are his favorite sports.游泳、钓鱼和赛马是他最喜欢的运动。
- The golf match will be held tomorrow morning.明天上午举行高尔夫球赛。
- Which side won the football game yesterday?昨天的足球赛哪一队赢了?
- He is fond of play.他喜欢玩。
- The International Table Tennis Friendship Invitational Tournament will be held in China this year.今年的国际乒乓球友谊邀请赛将在中国举行。
- 2.sport和game既可指室内也可指室外的活动; match和tournament一般指室外活动。
- at play 在游戏
- in play 开玩笑
- be at play 在玩耍
- be at the play 在看戏
- bring into play 发挥
- come into play 起作用
误 Please come to my home and play when you have time.
正 Please come and see me when you have time.那天晚上他们玩得热闹极了。
误 That evening they played very enthusiastically.
正 They had a very good time that evening.
正 They enjoyed themselves that evening.我们学校的外国留学生常和我们一起玩。
误 The foreign students in our school often play with us.
正 The foreign students in our school often join our recreational activities.
析 在现代英语中, play用作不及物动词表示“玩”时,几乎只能用于儿童、动物或用于玩笑口吻中。不可把汉语“玩”一律译成play。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的plegian，意为快速移动；最初源自日耳曼语西支的plegan，意为繁忙。
- perform 执行
- drama 戏剧
- show 证明
- act 行为
- production 生产
- have fun 玩得开心
- performance 表演
- recreation 消遣
- amusement 乐趣，娱乐
- tease 揶揄者
- diversion 转向
- piece 件
- fun 乐趣
- joke 笑话
- fool around 闲荡
- participate 参加
- take part 参加
- gambol 跳跃
- romp 嬉闹玩笑
- frolic 嬉戏
- wager 赌注
- bet 打赌
- compete 竞争
- challenge 挑战
- encounter 意外的相见
- vie 竞争
- contend 竞争
- engage 雇佣
- rival 竞争者
- scuffle 混战
- contest 竞赛
- tussle 扭打
- struggle 努力
- represent 表现
- recreate 再创造
- gamble 赌博
- dally 浪费时间
- toy 玩具
- stake 桩
- venture 冒险(事业)
- trifle 琐事
- sport 运动
- rollick 玩耍
- stage play 话剧
- caper 跳跃
- fiddle 小提琴
- disport 玩
- cavort 骑马腾跃
- curvet 腾跃
- photoplay 电影剧
- teleplay 电视剧
- portray 描写
- spectacle 景象
- frisk 蹦跳
- fool 傻瓜
- screenplay 电影剧本
- clown 小丑
- take 拿
- comedy 喜剧
- of 关于
- theatricals 戏剧
- the 那
- part 部分
- impersonate 模仿
- personate 饰演
- photodrama 电影剧
- oneself 自己
- extravaganza 豪华的演出
- melodrama 情节剧
- musical 音乐的
- farce 闹剧
- burlesque 滑稽模仿
- cut loose 不受约束
- consummate 圆满的
- pageant 盛会
- fulfil 实践
- execute 执行
- accomplish 完成
- tinker 修补匠
- do 做
- effect 效应
- against 反对
- bid （买方）出价...
- go 去
- tragedy 悲剧
- dramatic play 表演游戏
- effectuate 使实现
- putter (高尔夫球的)轻击棒...
- turn 翻转
- up 向上
- pit 坑
- shimmer 微光
- free rein 完全的行动自由...
- flirt 调情的人
- child's play 容易干的事
- roleplay 扮演某一角色...
- meet 遇见
- wreak 发泄
- act as 担任
- one's 任何人的
- amuse 娱乐
- banter 轻松说笑
- run 跑
- cut 切
- bring 带来
- manoeuvre 调动
- down 向下
- take on 承担
- looseness 松
- let 让
- make for 走向
- playact 把 ... 表演出来...
- diddle 急速摇摆
- spiel 滔滔不绝的讲话...
- hair 头发
- have 已经
- swordplay 剑术
- loose 松的
- match 对手
- maneuver 巧妙地操纵
- around 到处
- kid 小孩
- pastime 消遣
- jest 说笑
- enjoyment 享受
- work 工作
- in 在 ... 里
- take the part of 袒护(支持)
- engage in 从事
- distraction 分心
- merriment 欢乐
- embark 乘船
- embark on 上（船、飞机等）...
- into 到 ... 里
- launch into 投入
- employ 雇佣
- gaiety 愉快
- on 在 ... 之上
- make an effort 努力
- entertainment 娱乐
- become 变成
- launch 发起
- utilize <美>利用或使用...
- wield 行使
- occupy 占用
- pleasure 愉快
- use 使用
- joviality 快乐
- occupied 已被占的
- handle 处理
- make 做
- relaxation 消遣
- revelry 狂欢
- involved 涉及的
- merrymaking 尽情欢乐
- delight 高兴
- effort 努力
- apply 应用
- operate 操作
- try 试验
- be 有
- manipulate 操纵
- undertake 承担
- jollification 欢乐
- romping 嬉戏喧闹的
- stage 舞台
- gambling 赌博
- play 玩
- gaming 赌博
- gag 箝口物
- fooling 开玩笑的言行...
- lark 云雀
- press 按
- mention 提到
- coverage 新闻报道
- betting 赌博
- wagering 动词wager的现在进行...
- pun 双关语
- latitude 纬度
- wordplay 双关语
- comportment 举止
- deportment 风度
- ways (用作单数)途径...
- manners 礼貌
- air 空气
- actions 动作
- gait 步态
- bearing 轴承
- posture 姿势
- address 住址
- port 港口
- game 游戏
- feign 假装
- style 文体
- wise 聪明的
- tournament 锦标赛
- monkey 猴子
- way 路
- pattern 模式
- fashion 时尚
- method 方法
- manner 举止
- wont 习惯的
- system 系统
- custom 习惯
- habit 习惯
- technique 技术
- activity 活动
- liberty 自由
- function 职务
- operation 操作
- freedom 自由
- exercise 运动
- swing 摇摆
- field 田地
- room 房间
- action 行为
- discharge 排出
- execution 处决
- practice 练习
- work 工作
- player n. 游戏的人,打牌的人,选手,比赛者;演员;演奏者‖playful adj. 活泼快乐的；爱玩的;戏谑的,闹着玩的