- n. 对手；火柴；比赛；配偶；般配的人
- v. 相配；和...相配；相一致；较量
- 相配，相称，相适合 ，般配
- 【电】 (使)匹配
- [C]比赛,竞赛 a game or sports event where teams or people compete
- [S]对手,敌手 a person who is equal to or better than another in strength, ability, etc.
- [S]相似之物,相配之物 a thing that is like another or is suitable to be put together with another, especially by having a similar colour or pattern
- [C]婚姻; 婚姻对象 a marriage of the stated kind; a possible husband or wife
- [C]火柴 a short thin stick, usually of wood, with a head covered by chemicals which flame when rubbed or struck against a rough surface and cause the stick to burn
- vt. 使较量,使比赛 be like or suitable for use with (another or each other), especially in colour or pattern
- vt. & vi. (使)相配; (使)相称 make suitable
lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction;
"he always carries matches to light his pipe"
"as long you've a lucifer to light your fag"
a formal contest in which two or more persons or teams compete
a burning piece of wood or cardboard;
"if you drop a match in there the whole place will explode"
an exact duplicate;
"when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
the score needed to win a match
a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
a pair of people who live together;
"a married couple from Chicago"
something that resembles or harmonizes with;
"that tie makes a good match with your jacket"
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics;
"The two stories don't agree in many details"
"The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"
"The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
provide funds complementary to;
"The company matched the employees' contributions"
bring two objects, ideas, or people together;
"This fact is coupled to the other one"
"Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"
"The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
be equal to in quality or ability;
"Nothing can rival cotton for durability"
"Your performance doesn't even touch that of your colleagues"
"Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"
make correspond or harmonize;
"Match my sweater"
satisfy or fulfill;
"meet a need"
"this job doesn't match my dreams"
give or join in marriage
set into opposition or rivalry;
"let them match their best athletes against ours"
"pit a chess player against the Russian champion"
"He plays his two children off against each other"
be equal or harmonize;
"The two pieces match"
make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching;
"let's equalize the duties among all employees in this office"
"The company matched the discount policy of its competitors"
- He was very good at tennis, but he met his match when he played McEnroe.
- I am no match for her when it comes to language.
- The smoker tossed away the lighted match and so caused a fire.
- A high standard of play marked the match between the two teams.
- The cricket match is being sponsored by a cigarette company.
- He anxiously desired to have his niece married, to make for her a suitable match.
- No one in Cross's adopted family proved a match,so Doug Andrews stepped forward.
- Will you match me this cloth?
- His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game.
- Little by little, Rhys began to match himself to the image in his mind.
- The woolen sweaters you delivered do not match the sample we provided.
- I'm ready to match my strength against yours.
- Match your skill against the experts in this quiz.
- The match ended in a tie.
- The table tennis match came off last week.
- Who won the basketball match?
- We are going to have a volleyball match this afternoon.
- In this season I've played several matches.
- Our side beat the other in the match.
- Shall we go to the football match tomorrow?
- Bill is no match for his younger brother at chess.
- These two players are good matches.
- We shall never see his match.
- The blue shirt and gray tie are a good match.
- These trousers are not an exact match for my jacket.
- We can't find a match for this ornament.
- Can you find the match to this glove?
- Both her daughters made good matches.
- She hoped to arrange a match between her daughter and that young man.
- She'll make a fine match for my son.
- They decided to make a match of it.
- His father has approved of this match.
- She lit her cigarette with a match.
- Don't strike a match if you smell gas.
- It's very dark here, will you light a match?
- He struck the match twice, but it couldn't burn.
- I want to buy a box of matches.
- The family he was quartered with had no matches, no soap, and most of the time no cooking oil.
- Those two shoes don't match.
- Rose's clothes and hat don't match.
- The colours match well.
- Sometimes his inner thoughts and his outer actions do not match.
- No one can match him in argument.
- You can't match him in knowledge of wild plants.
- Their defensive strength could not quite match our forces.
- Can any country match France for good wine?
- The carpets should match the curtains.
- That dress matches her red hair.
- I need some yellow wool like this; can you match it please?
- She went all over town but was unable to match this piece of material.
- He was trying to find a vase to match the remaining one of a pair.
- The picture matches the story.
- A galaxy of twinkling stars matched the thousands of sparkling city lights.
- His look matches his mood.
- I doubt if his deeds would match his stirring words.
- No two players could be more evenly matched.
- John and Henry will be matched in the final.
- They are equally matched in their know-ledge of Chinese.
- The criminal was very astute and well matched the detective in intelligence.
- This hotel can't be matched for good service and food.
- The children are carefully matched to the couples who are adopting them.
- I'll match you the dress.
- Can you match the silk for me?
- Can you match a pen cap for me?
- be a match for
和…一样具有实力〔能力〕 be equal to sb in ability
- match point
在比赛中赢得关键的一分即赢得全部比赛的胜利 point that, if gained, wins the whole match for a competitor
- meet one's match
遇到对手; 碰到棘手的事 deal with sb who is as able as oneself; have trouble
- more than a match for
更好 better than
- whole shooting match
- match against( v.+prep. )
使与(某人)进行比赛; 使与…比试 arrange a fight between (sb) and an opponent; oppose sth to sth
- match up( v.+adv. )
相配; 相适合; 使…相符合 (cause to) fit; suit
The whole outfit matches up beautifully.
The coat was not bought at the same time as the trousers, but they match up well enough to be considered a suit.
这件上衣和这条裤子不是同时买的,但十分相配。别人都以为是一套。match sth ⇔ up
I found it difficult to match up the different versions of the event by the two eye-witnesses.
How do you match up these opposing pieces of information from two different government departments?
I can't match up the two halves of the photograph.A bit is missing from the middle.
- match up to( v.+adv.+prep. )
与…一致〔相合〕 be equal to or the same as (sth such as an idea)
match up to sth
The imitation hardly matches up to the original .
Do you think the book matches up to its enthusiastic review?
He tries to match up to the situation.
- match with( v.+prep. )
使…较量; 与…相配; 使与…一致 (cause to) contest; balance; equal
match with sth
Let beggars match with beggars.
This ribbon matches with your dress.
It's hard to find words that match well with this music.
The curtains do not match with the decorations.
窗帘和室内的装饰品不协调。match sb/sth with sb/sth
We'll match him with Jones.They are both good boxers.
I can match your story with another.
We should match their generosity with our own.
I should be pleased to match my daughter with your son, so that we could become even closer friends.
You should match the design at the edge of one length of paper with that at the edge of the one next to it.
Take care to match the sewing thread with the cloth so that the stitches, being of the same colour, will not show.
The government has promised to match the council's gift to the university with an equal payment.
I matched the color of my sweater with the color of my shirt.
You should match words with action.
You didn't match your words with deeds.
- arrange a match 安排比赛
- break off the match 中断比赛
- broadcast match (电台,电视台)播放比赛
- fight a match of 20 rounds (拳击)打一场20个回合的比赛
- hold a match 举行比赛
- lose the match 输掉比赛
- make a match 做媒
- meet one's match 遇到对手
- play a match 举行比赛
- watch a match 观看比赛
- win a match 赢得一场比赛
- apply a match 用火柴去点…
- blow out a match 吹灭火柴
- buy matches 买火柴
- light a match 点燃火柴
- make matches 制造火柴
- put a match to 用火柴去点…
- set a match to 用火柴去点…
- strike a match 划火柴
- close match 紧张的比赛
- crucial match 决定性的比赛
- inappropriate match 不相配的姻缘
- tight match 势均力敌的比赛
- uneven match 悬殊的比赛
- dead match 划过的火柴
- wet match 湿火柴
- boxing match 拳击比赛
- championship match 冠军赛
- cricket match 板球比赛
- exhibition match 表演赛
- fencing match 击剑比赛
- football match 足球赛
- golf match 高尔夫球比赛
- hockey match 曲棍球比赛
- tennis match 网球比赛
- swimming match 游泳赛
- volleyball match 排球赛
- friction match 通过摩擦点燃的火柴
- safety match 安全火柴
- sulfur match 硫磺火柴
- match the story 配得上这个故事
Sometimes, even Father's no match for Mother.出自： K. Ishiguro
Three cigarettes were lit on one match.出自： M. Lowry
Give me a match..My candle's gone out.出自： P. Bowles
We are now a mighty nation, capable of matching any of the Western nations.出自： K. Ishiguro
- “一根火柴”可说a match,但“一盒火柴”要说a box of matches。
- match用作不及物动词时,常与介词with连用,也常和副词well, nicely, beautifully等连用。
- match与介词against〔with〕连用,表示“与…较量”; 与介词in连用表示“在某方面进行较量或比得上”。
Your tie should match your shirt.
- match, game, play, sport, tournament
- 1.sport一般指体力运动,如爬山、滑水、钓鱼等; game指常有一定的规则,而且决定胜负的脑力或体力劳动的“竞技”; match多指网球、足球、高尔夫球等运动项目的比赛,常用在英国; play泛指无目的或结果的消遣或娱乐活动; tournament指通过不同级别的比赛而夺魁的体育项目“比赛”“锦标赛”“联赛”。例如:
- Swimming, fishing and horse racing are his favorite sports.游泳、钓鱼和赛马是他最喜欢的运动。
- The golf match will be held tomorrow morning.明天上午举行高尔夫球赛。
- Which side won the football game yesterday?昨天的足球赛哪一队赢了?
- He is fond of play.他喜欢玩。
- The International Table Tennis Friendship Invitational Tournament will be held in China this year.今年的国际乒乓球友谊邀请赛将在中国举行。
- 2.sport和game既可指室内也可指室外的活动; match和tournament一般指室外活动。
- match, rival
- 这两个词的共同意思是“相比”。其区别在于:match着重指在力量、完美程度方面比得过、比得上; rival通常指在竞争中显示出强或优于与之相比的对象。例如:
- No one could match the skill of the well-known archer.没有哪个人的技艺能比得上那位出名的射箭运动员。
- Ships cannot rival aircraft for speed.在速度方面轮船无法与飞机相比。
- match, approach, equal, touch
- 1.equal和match都可表示达到同一水平或标准,不存在差别; equal侧重“相等”; match侧重“相匹敌”。另外, match主要用于力量、表现、兴趣、美感等方面; 而 equal 主要用在数量、价值、程度等方面。例如:
- The pattern on this material matches that of the sofa.这块料上的图案与沙发上的相当。
- 2.approach和touch都表示该事物非常接近另一事物, touch的意思是“赶得上”,两者的差别几乎看不出来; 而approach表示的差别虽微乎其微,但却可看出,即approach表示的差别比touch大些。另外, approach的意思是“向…接近”,表示一个持续的动作,所以可用于进行体,而touch则不能用于进行体。例如:
- His work is approaching perfection.他的作品接近完美无缺。
- No one can touch him as an actor of tragic roles.作为一个扮演悲剧角色的演员,没人能够赶得上他。
- match, adjust, fit
- fit是一般用语,意味很广,指适合条件、环境、目的、要求等,用于衣服、帽子等时,指它们的形状或大小适合身体; match多指“大小、色调、形状、性质等方面的搭配”; adjust指“(作些)调整使完全符合或适应”,一般与具体事物连用,有时也用反身代词作宾语。例如:
- Try the new key and see if it fits.试试新配的钥匙,看看是否合适。
- We should get some new curtains to match the carpet.我们应该买些新窗帘来配这条地毯。
- She adjusted the lamp so that the light fell directly on her book.她把灯移动了一下,使灯光正好照在书上。
- These ribbons don't match your hat.
- These ribbons don't match with your hat.
误 He was eager to match his know-ledge to mine.
正 He was eager to match his know-ledge against mine.
正 He was eager to match his know-ledge with mine.
误 The duke matched his daughter to the king's son.
正 The duke matched his daughter with the king's son.
- ☆ 15世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的meiche，意为蜡烛芯。
- twin v.