- vt. 按,压 push firmly and steadily against
- vi. 紧迫 make quick action or attention
- vt. 逼迫,强迫 force or compel
- [S]压,按,挤 act of pushing steadily with sth held in the hand
- [C]印刷机 machine for printing
- [C]出版社,通讯社 business for printing books or periodicals
- [S]报刊,报界,新闻界 newspapers, periodicals and the news sections of radio and television
- the state of demanding notice or attention;
"the insistence of their hunger"
"the press of business matters"
- the print media responsible for gathering and publishing news in the form of newspapers or magazines
- a machine used for printing
- a dense crowd of people
- a tall piece of furniture that provides storage space for clothes; has a door and rails or hooks for hanging clothes
- clamp to prevent wooden rackets from warping when not in use
- any machine that exerts pressure to form or shape or cut materials or extract liquids or compress solids
- a weightlift in which the barbell is lifted to shoulder height and then smoothly lifted overhead
- the act of pressing; the exertion of pressure;
"he gave the button a press"
"he used pressure to stop the bleeding"
"at the pressing of a button"
- exert pressure or force to or upon;
"He pressed down on the boards"
"press your thumb on this spot"
- force or impel in an indicated direction;
"I urged him to finish his studies"
- to be oppressive or burdensome;
"weigh heavily on the mind"
"Something pressed on his mind"
- place between two surfaces and apply weight or pressure;
- squeeze or press together;
"she compressed her lips"
"the spasm contracted the muscle"
- crowd closely;
"The crowds pressed along the street"
- create by pressing;
"Press little holes into the soft clay"
- be urgent;
"This is a pressing problem"
- exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for;
"The liberal party pushed for reforms"
"She is crusading for women's rights"
"The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
- press from a plastic;
"press a record"
- make strenuous pushing movements during birth to expel the baby;
"`Now push hard,' said the doctor to the woman"
- press and smooth with a heated iron;
"press your shirts"
"she stood there ironing"
- lift weights;
"This guy can press 300 pounds"
- ask for or request earnestly;
"The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
- Please press the controller to turn the machine on.
- Press this button in case of fire.
- The book is crumpled and needs press.
- Press firmly on the wound to stop the bleeding.
- He denied that he had leaked the news to the press.
- The press has given the show a tremendous build-up.
- This press publishes educational books.
- The press is ready to turn out a huge new edition.
- We read news in the daily press.
- The government's new policy received a good press.
- The book is crumpled and needs press.
- Every room in the hotel has an electric trouser press.
- The printing press was set up on the ground floor.
- We had a lot of bother in repairing the press machine.
This dress pressed well.
The matter is pressing.
We will let you know if anything presses.
The men gave a loud cheer at these words and pressed ahead.
Many people pressed forward to shake hands with him.
We can either make camp now, or press ahead until dark and be that much nearer our objective.
We must press ahead with our efforts to reach an agreement.
They wanted us to press forward with the work.
Press the button, then the machine will work.
She has already pressed her skirt.
Cage pressed her friend's arm tightly.
It is no good pressing him at this time.
The enemy army is pressing an attack.
Your trousers need to be pressed.
She was pressed by hunger and cold.
She pressed her guests to stay a little longer.
They pressed us to stay for lunch.
It is not wise to press them to leave here so early.
The children pressed their parents to take them to the sea-bathing resort.
The man was pressed to pay off his debt.
It's easy for me to press the pastry flat and thin.
They like to press wet snow hard to make snowballs.
Our frontier soldiers pressed the enemy hard.
Don't press me so hard.
They have leaked the information out to the press.
Someone in the ministry had leaked the story to the press.
These letters were duly handed in, and copies were given to the press representatives.
The foreign minister declared in a statement to the press that he would never submit to blackmail.
The discovery is hardly commented by the press.
A reactionary government is able to suppress the press, but not able to control public opinion.
Keep this to yourself; don't let it out to the press.
The press are/is interested in sports.
The press are/is interested in old maps.
At the press conference, the reporters copied down every word spoken by the prime minister.
As a diplomat, you have to pick your words at a press conference.
We listened in on the premier's press conference.
The prime minister imparted the news of his trip at a press conference.
They'll not readily sacrifice their freedom of the press.
He does not sign his contributions to the press.
Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press issued a new magazine last year.
A special press was broadcast last night.
Her press of what happened is simply not borne out by the facts.
A manufacturer can amplify the demand of a product by press advertising widely.
He brushed past the reporters without making any press comment.
He felt himself a press agent of importance.
It looks as if the blame has been fastened on an innocent press agent.
The press officer denied any knowledge of their plans.
Recently he enrolled in the Press Association.
This type of press can feed out papers much faster than an ordinary one.
Prices are correct at the time of going to press.
Flatten the dough with a press of the hand.
Those trousers need a press.
At the end of his speech, the press of people caught alight and began cheering wildly.
The press of people was quite carried away by the young singer's performance.
“Go home!”the press of people shouted.
Don't fling your shoes in the linen press.
The room was furnished with a linen press and some old furniture.
- press about〔around,round〕 (v.+prep.)
拥护在…周围 crowd around sb press about〔around,round〕 sb
The children pressed about her and made a ring.孩子们在她周围紧紧地围了一个圈。
Crowds pressed around her trying to get her autograph.人群把她团团围住,争着请她签名。
The fans pressed round the rock band.歌迷们把摇滚乐队团团围住。
- 拥护在…周围 crowd around sb press about〔around,round〕 sb
- press against (v.+prep.)
使贴着 push or thrust against press oneself/sth against sth
The animal pressed itself against a tree trunk.那个动物将身子紧贴在树干上。
She pressed her face against the glass.她把脸紧贴在玻璃上。
The boy pressed his ear against the door.那男孩把耳朵贴着门。
- 使贴着 push or thrust against press oneself/sth against sth
- press back (v.+adv.)
往后按; 迫使向后退 push sth back; force sb go back press sb/sth ⇔ back
He pressed my arm back.他把我的手臂往后按。
The police pressed the crowd back behind the barriers.警察迫使人群退到路障后面。
- 往后按; 迫使向后退 push sth back; force sb go back press sb/sth ⇔ back
- press down (v.+adv.)
把…按下去 push sth down press sth ⇔ down
Facer pressed down the lid.费塞把盖子按了下去。
He pressed down the accelerator pedal of his car.他踩下汽车的油门。用于 be ～ed 结构
The grass had been pressed down in place where people had been lying.人们躺过的地方,草都被压平了。
- 把…按下去 push sth down press sth ⇔ down
- press for (v.+prep.)
催逼,敦促; 迫切要求 demand urgently; make repeated requests for press for sth
The workers formed a union to press for higher wages.工人们建立了一个工会以迫切要求提高工资。
We are in the process of reform.Many problems are pressing for solution.我们正在改革进程中,许多问题迫切需要解决。
They agreed to press for the conference to deal with the problem.他们同意敦促大会处理这个问题。
They are pressing for a decision to be made.他们坚持要作出决定。press sb for sth
The student got up, stood there, and said nothing.The teacher pressed him for an answer.那个学生起来,站在那儿,不说一句话。老师催他回答问题。
I don't know whether to accept this new job, and the firm is pressing me for a decision.我不知道是否接受这份新工作,而公司正催促我作出决定。
No one really knew what had happened except the office boy.Everyone pressed him for more details.除了这个勤杂工以外,没有人知道到底发生了什么事。大家都要求他讲出更多的详细情况。用于 be ～ed 结构
I am pressed for a reply.我被催着作出答复。
缺少 have barely enough of sth press sb for sth 常用于 be ～ed 结构
At that time we were pressed for money.那时我们手头拮据。
- 催逼,敦促; 迫切要求 demand urgently; make repeated requests for press for sth
- press in1 (v.+adv.)
把…压 force sth inwards press sth ⇔ in
I had to press my way in through the crowd.我只好挤过人群。
逼近 advance steadily press in
Night was already pressing in as we reached the little town.当我们抵达那个小镇的时候,夜幕已经降临了。
- 把…压 force sth inwards press sth ⇔ in
- press in2〔into〕 (v.+prep.)
把…压进 push a lot of (things or people) in a mass or into sth press sb/sth in〔into〕 sth
I tried to press more clothes in the case, but there was not enough room.我尽力往衣箱里塞更多的衣服,但是地方不够了。
She pressed a coin into the little girl's hand.她把一枚硬币塞到小姑娘的手里。用于 be ～ed 结构
Too many people were pressed into the room, and I could hardly breathe.那屋里挤得水泄不通,我几乎都喘不过气来。
- 把…压进 push a lot of (things or people) in a mass or into sth press sb/sth in〔into〕 sth
- press on1 (v.+adv.)
奋力前进; 坚持 make one's way with effort; insist on press on
Shall we stop here or press on to the next town?我们是在这里停下还是赶紧奔向下一个城镇呢?press on with sth
Let's press on with our work.咱们继续工作。
The police pressed on with the investigation.警方不顾困难,继续进行调查。
- 奋力前进; 坚持 make one's way with effort; insist on press on
- press on2 (v.+prep.)
用力压 push hard on sb/sth press on sb/sth
The driver must have pressed on the accelerator.司机一定是踩了油门。
The sleeping child was pressing on me and making me uncomfortably.熟睡的孩子压在我的身上,使我感到很不舒服。press sb/sth on sb
She pressed the baby on her husband.她把婴儿塞给她丈夫。
坚持要(某人)接受 insist that sb take sth press sth on sb
He tried to press another drink on me.他试图硬要我再喝一杯酒。
The hostess pressed fish on her guests.女主人催促客人吃鱼。
Don't press your opinions on her.不要逼她接受你的意见。
His aunts were pressing on him cups of tea and chocolate cookies.他的那些姑母不停地硬要他喝茶,吃巧克力饼干。
使(某人)负重 cause sb to be weighed or oppressed press on sb
Steadily rising prices press mostly on the poor and the old people with fixed incomes.不断上涨的物价使穷人和收入固定的老人负担加重。
- 用力压 push hard on sb/sth press on sb/sth
- press out (v.+adv.)
把…挤熨平 force sth out by pushing or holding tightly; iron usually clothes press sth ⇔ out
I pressed out the rest of shampoo by force.我用力把剩下的洗发水挤出来。
Shall I press out the shirt for you?我帮你把衬衣熨平好吗?用于 be ～ed 结构
The juice of the grapes was pressed out.葡萄汁被压出来了。
- 把…挤熨平 force sth out by pushing or holding tightly; iron usually clothes press sth ⇔ out
- press to (v.+prep.)
使紧靠 cause to keep sb/sth close to one or a part of one's body press to sb/sth
The children pressed close to their mother.孩子们紧紧地依偎着他们的母亲。press sb/oneself/sth to sb/sth
She pressed the little girl to her chest.她把小女孩紧紧搂在怀里。
He pressed himself to the ground.他紧伏在地上。
The little boy pressed his hand to his chest.那个小男孩把手按在胸口。
He pressed his ear to the instrument.他把耳朵贴在仪器上听。
- 使紧靠 cause to keep sb/sth close to one or a part of one's body press to sb/sth
- press together (v.+adv.)
使彼此靠 cause to be tightly held to each other press together
The crowd pressed together so tightly that we could hardly breathe.人群挤在一起,我们几乎喘不过气来。press sth ⇔ together
She pressed her palms together.她把双掌紧紧地合在一起。
- 使彼此靠 cause to be tightly held to each other press together
- press with (v.+prep.)
使(某人)受…所困扰 cause sb to be puzzled with press sb with sth
The policeman pressed him with questions.警察不断向他提问题。用于 be ～ed 结构
He was pressed with hunger.他为饥饿所迫。
She is pressed with sorrows.她愁肠百结。
- 使(某人)受…所困扰 cause sb to be puzzled with press sb with sth
- press a bell 按铃
- press a button 按电钮
- press a demand 坚持要求
- press a policy 强行贯彻一项政策
- press baby 抱紧婴儿
- press clothes 熨衣服
- press grapes 榨葡萄
- press juice 挤汁
- press oil 榨油
- press one's way 奋力前进,向前挤
- press sb's hand 紧握某人的手
- press steel 轧制钢材
- press table 压桌子
- press the trigger of a gun 扣扳机
- press hard 用力压
- press home 极力(辩护)
- press affectionately 亲切地握住
- press brusquely 粗暴地压
- press brutally 蛮横地压
- press cautiously 小心地压
- press darkly 无知地压
- press directly 直接压
- press emotionally 激动地握住
- press forcibly 强有力地按住
- press heavily 沉重地压
- press hotly 热压
- press indirectly 间接压
- press lightly 轻轻地压
- press strongly 竭力地压
- press tenderly 轻柔地按住
- press tightly 紧紧握住
- press warmly 热情地握紧
- press ahead 奋力前进
- press back 推回去,击退
- press crowd back 迫使人群后退
- press down 向下压
- press forward 向前推进
- press on 向前逼进
- press on and on 不断向前逼近
- press against 推,将…压在…上
- press against door 用力推门
- press a charge against 对(某人)起诉
- press ear against door 把耳朵紧贴在门上
- press sb against wall 使某人贴住墙
- press for 反复要求,敦促
- press for an answer 催促答复
- press sb for details 向某人追问详情
- press for reform 迫切要求改革
- press oil from soya beans 榨取豆油
- press into 使压成,逼…致使,把…塞入
- press sb into confession 逼某人坦白,逼供
- press clay into various forms 把泥压成各种形状
- press on〔upon〕 按,将…压在…上,使负重担,压迫
- press on button 按电钮或键
- press sth out of 从…中榨出
- press through a door 挤过一扇门
- press ahead with effort 加紧努力
- press with hunger 为饥饿所迫
- press hard with questions 不断诘问
- censor the press 检查新闻舆论
- control the press 控制新闻舆论
- go to press 付印
- have a good press 受新闻界的好评
- muzzle the press 压制新闻舆论
- bad press 在报上名声不好
- blue press 黄色的报刊
- foreign press 外国报刊
- free press 享有新闻自由的报刊
- good press 在报上受好评
- gutter press 格调低下的报刊,三流小报
- local press 当地报刊
- military press (举重运动推举中只用臂力的)硬推,实力推
- permanent press 永久性熨平
- bench press 卧推
- cider press 苹果汁榨取机
- full-court press 全场紧逼防守
- university press 大学附属出版社
- wine press (酿酒用的)葡萄压榨机
- the Associated P- 美联社
- the United P- 合众社
- press agent 宣传员
- press association 国际新闻通讯社
- press conference 记者招待会
- press corps 记者团
- press corrector 校对员
- press correspondent 新闻通讯员
- in the press 在印刷中
In the cattle-market she shrank from the press of men.出自：D. H. Lawrence
So crowded that..two had fallen because of the press and been killed.出自：M. M. Kaye
The press of vehicles in Central London caused considerable confusion on the streets.出自：K. Warren
An English army..was levied by a general press throughout the kingdom.出自：D. Hume
The Wind being on our broad side, prest her down very much.出自：W. Dampier
He pressed his brow against the cold window pane.出自：H. Roth
He pressed into her hand a packet of birth-control pills.出自：M. Flanagan
The Constables and Churchwardens came to press you for a soldier.出自：J. Wesley
He had been pressed out of an American ship.出自：F. Marryat
- press用作不及物动词时,常与ahead, forward, for等词连用。
- press, pinch, squeeze
这三个动词的共同意思是“挤,压”。其区别在于:1.press指力量来自于上方。例如:Press the button, then the machine will work.按下电钮,机器就能运转了。Press the button to ring the bell.按那个钮可以打铃。2.pinch指用手指捏、拧或夹。例如:The child was crying because somebody had pinched her.那孩子哭了,因为有人掐她。He pinched the boy's face playfully.他开玩笑地拧了这男孩的脸。3.squeeze指外在的力量作用于物体上,力量可来自各个方面,可用于比喻。例如:Squeeze the sponge so that all the water comes out.捏紧海绵,把水挤出来。This only gave them opportunity to squeeze profits.这只能为他们提供机会榨取利润。
- We pressed her to continue her story.
- We pressed her into continuing her story.
- The shoe presses my toe.
- My toe presses against the shoe.
- press, gazette, journal, newspaper
这四个词的共同意思是“报纸”。其区别是：newspaper是“报纸”的普通用语。今天或昨天的报纸被普通称为today's newspaper或yesterday's newspaper; journal指定期刊物或报纸,尤指“杂志”; gazette指“官报”,尤指“政府公报”; press指“新闻界”“出版社”,是一国、一地或一都市的出版机构的总称。
- magazine journal periodical publication newspaper review press
误 That big corporation tried to bribe press to sit on the story.
正 That big corporation tried to bribe the press to sit on the story.
误 Press pulled the plug on the Liberal candidate, and he lost the election.
正 The press pulled the plug on the Liberal candidate, and he lost the election.
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的presser，意为挤压；最初源自拉丁语的pressrae，意为按。
- pressed adj. 紧缺的，缺少的‖pressing adj. 紧迫的；迫切的;再三要求的,恳切要求的
- PRESS:Pacific Range Electromagnetic Signature Studies太平洋范围电磁签名的研究
- PRESS:Peace Research and European Security Studies和平研究和欧洲安全研究
- PRESS:Pressuren. 压力, 压强, 压迫