- 扭转（身体部位），翻动， 把…翻过来
- vt. & vi. (使)转动,旋转 cause to move round a point
- vt. & vi. (使)改变方向,(使朝某个方向)转弯 (cause to) change position or direction so as to face or start moving in the specified direction
- vt. 瞄准,指向 aim or point (sth) in the specified direction
- vt. (使)折起,(使)翻转 (cause to) move so as to face in a different direction
- vt. & vi. (使)变为,(使)成为 (cause sb/sth to) become
- vt. 达到,超过 reach or pass
- vt. & vi. (使)变酸 (cause sth to) become sour
- vt. & vi. (使)不适,作呕,恶心 (cause sth to) have a sick feeling
- [C]转动,旋转 act of turning sth/sb round; turning movement
- [C]方向的改变,转折,转折点 change of direction; point at which this occurs
- [C]发展变化,新趋势 development or new tendency in sth
- [S]机会; 顺次 a place or an appointed time in a fixed order, that gives one the chance or duty to do sth
- [S]惊吓,震惊 nervous shock
a circular segment of a curve;
"a bend in the road"
"a crook in the path"
the act of changing or reversing the direction of the course;
"he took a turn to the right"
(game) the activity of doing something in an agreed succession;
"it is my turn"
"it is still my play"
an unforeseen development;
"events suddenly took an awkward turn"
a movement in a new direction;
"the turning of the wind"
the act of turning away or in the opposite direction;
"he made an abrupt turn away from her"
turning or twisting around (in place);
"with a quick twist of his head he surveyed the room"
a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else);
"it's my go"
"a spell of work"
(sports) a division during which one team is on the offensive
a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program;
"he did his act three times every evening"
"she had a catchy little routine"
"it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
a favor for someone;
"he did me a good turn"
taking a short walk out and back;
"we took a turn in the park"
change orientation or direction, also in the abstract sense;
"Turn towards me"
"The mugger turned and fled before I could see his face"
"She turned from herself and learned to listen to others' needs"
undergo a transformation or a change of position or action;
"We turned from Socialism to Capitalism"
"The people turned against the President when he stole the election"
undergo a change or development;
"The water turned into ice"
"Her former friend became her worst enemy"
"He turned traitor"
cause to move around or rotate;
"turn a key"
"turn your palm this way"
change to the contrary;
"The trend was reversed"
"the tides turned against him"
"public opinion turned when it was revealed that the president had an affair with a White House intern"
pass to the other side of;
"turn the corner"
"move around the obstacle"
pass into a condition gradually, take on a specific property or attribute; become;
"The weather turned nasty"
"She grew angry"
let (something) fall or spill from a container;
"turn the flour onto a plate"
move around an axis or a center;
"The wheels are turning"
cause to move around a center so as to show another side of;
"turn a page of a book"
to send or let go;
"They turned away the crowd at the gate of the governor's mansion"
to break and turn over earth especially with a plow;
"Farmer Jones plowed his east field last week"
"turn the earth in the Spring"
shape by rotating on a lathe or cutting device or a wheel;
"turn the legs of the table"
"turn the clay on the wheel"
"In Vermont, the leaves turn early"
twist suddenly so as to sprain;
"wrench one's ankle"
"The wrestler twisted his shoulder"
"the hikers sprained their ankles when they fell"
"I turned my ankle and couldn't walk for several days"
cause to change or turn into something different;assume new characteristics;
"The princess turned the frog into a prince by kissing him"
"The alchemists tried to turn lead into gold"
accomplish by rotating;
"turn a somersault"
get by buying and selling;
"the company turned a good profit after a year"
cause to move along an axis or into a new direction;
"turn your face to the wall"
"turn the car around"
"turn your dance partner around"
channel one's attention, interest, thought, or attention toward or away from something;
"The pedophile turned to boys for satisfaction"
"people turn to mysticism at the turn of a millennium"
cause (a plastic object) to assume a crooked or angular form;
"bend the rod"
"twist the dough into a braid"
"the strong man could turn an iron bar"
alter the functioning or setting of;
"turn the dial to 10"
"turn the heat down"
direct at someone;
"She turned a smile on me"
"They turned their flashlights on the car"
have recourse to or make an appeal or request for help or information to;
"She called on her Representative to help her"
"She turned to her relatives for help"
go sour or spoil;
"The milk has soured"
"The wine worked"
"The cream has turned--we have to throw it out"
become officially one year older;
"She is turning 50 this year"
- The turbulence caused the plane to turn over.
- Men carried corpses in blankets away from the scene and a dozen others tried to turn over a car with two bodies beneath.
- At each turn the screw goes in further.
- She got up and spun a little turn.
- The earth turns round the sun.
- The river turns north at this point.
- Nothing will ever turn him from his purpose.
- The students clean the classroom everyday in turn.
- It is now his turn to set me up to a nice dinner.
- Hold the strap, please. I am making a turn now.
- This tap won't turn.
- I pressed the button and the lathe began to turn.
- The stock market turned sharply.
- He turned and faced her.
- They turned and ran.
- The tide is turning, we'd better get back.
- My head is turning.
- At the sight of blood her stomach turned.
- The lead pipe has turned from pressure.
- The blade of the knife turned in honing.
- The knife's edge had turned.
- He used to be a linguist till he turns writer.
- Maple trees turn crimson in autumn.
- The willow twigs swaying in the breeze were turning green.
- It was cloudy this morning, but fortunately it has turned fine.
- When she saw this, she turned red.
- His face turned deathly pale.
- What turns the wheel?
- He turned the screw tight.
- Shut the door and turn the bolt.
- He turned his head and looked at me.
- He turned his horse and rode away.
- She turned the steering wheel sharply to the left to avoid a cyclist.
- Their votes turned the election.
- He was eager to get home and begin turning his ground.
- The farmer turned the seeds under with a plow.
- His wife turned his shirt collars when they get frayed.
- He was idly turning the pages of a magazine.
- He could turn a bar of steel.
- She turned her ankle while ice-skating.
- This hard wood turns the edge of the saw.
- It turned the edge of his arguments.
- She turned a pirouette on the ice.
- The little girl turned a neat circle on the ice.
- It has just turned twelve.
- She turned seventeen the day she graduated.
- Frost turns the leaves early.
- The hot weather turned the meat.
- The hot weather has turned the milk.
- He was turning wood on a lathe.
- The stink of the rotten fish turned my stomach.
- Sorrow has turned her brain.
- Too much praise turned his head.
- He turned the question every way but could find no answer.
- His mind was turned by his losses.
- His head was not turned with success.
- Fear turned her pale.
- Worry turned the poor old man's hair grey.
- The north wind turned the leaves yellow.
- The last light of the setting sun turned the entire sky red.
- Turn the prisoners loose.
- Who turned those children loose in my kitchen with my cooking things?
- It would be irresponsible to turn such a man loose on society.
- We turned the dog loose.
- I had my old suit turned.
- His induction as a teacher was a turning point in his life.
- Each turn of the wheels brought them nearer home.
- He gave the handle a turn.
- This loose screw needs a turn or two.
- How many turns are necessary?
- Don't take the turn too fast.
- He made an about turn.
- He took a sudden turn to the left.
- The path before us is full of twists and turns.
- Things took a new turn.
- Matters have taken an unexpected turn.
- We are waiting for the turn of the tide.
- My turn will come.
- It's your turn to read now.
- Whose turn is it next?
- You've missed your turn, so you'll have to wait.
- Shall we take a turn in the garden?
- Let's go for a turn in the car.
- I took a turn on a bicycle just now.
- This is a coil of 1000 turns.
- The next turn in the show is a song-and-dance act.
- The show opened with a comedy turn.
- He was of a melancholy turn of mind.
- She has a quaint turn to her dress.
- He didn't like the turn of the sentence.
- You gave me quite a turn when you shouted out like that.
- The news gave me quite a turn.
- What a turn you have given me!
- He had a turn of dizziness.
- She's had one of her turns again.
- He has done me an ill turn.
- One good turn deserves another.
- turn about( v.+adv. )
反复思考 consider and reconsider in various aspects
All of a sudden he turned about and saw me.
He suddenly turned about and dashed against me.
Saying that she checked and sharply turned about to hide her face.
After swimming a mile, the boys turned about and swan back to the shore.
The ship turned about and left the battle.
He saluted smsrtly, about faced, and marched out.
他干净利落地敬了个礼，向后转，开步走了出去。turn sb/sth ⇔ about
The chauffeur turned the sedan about.
司机把轿车掉了个头。turn sth ⇔ about
He was still turning the question about when he fell asleep.
- turn against( v.+prep. )
(使)转为反对; (使)变成和…敌对 (cause to) change from liking sb/sth to disliking him〔her,it〕
turn against sb/sth
The newspaper turned against the President.
The advantage abruptly turned against them.
Nothing could make me turn against my country.
His stomach turned against food.
他吃东西时反胃。turn sb against sb
He tried to turn the children against their mother.
- turn around〔round〕 (v.+adv.)
完成任务并准备返回 finish one journey and prepare to return
The little girl turned round and ran to her mother.
I turned around and saw Jane was sitting directly behind me.
The oil market turned round very sharply about a week ago.
大约一星期以前,石油市场形势突变。turn sth ⇔ around〔round〕
Turn your chair round to the fire.
We've come too far, turn the car round and go back.
Do you think our housing sales will turn round during this year?
你认为今年我们的住宅销路会好转吗?turn sth ⇔ around〔round〕
We want to turn the economy round.
They turned the situation round for the better.
他们扭转了局面。turn sth ⇔ around〔round〕
He turned my question around so that it sounded foolish.
He seems to have quite turned round.
I'd better turn round and get some work done.
These big ships need half a day to turn round.
这些大型船只需要半天时间完成装货再次开航。turn sth ⇔ round
I'll send some more men to help you turn the plane round.
- turn aside( v.+adv. )
(使)让开; (使)转变方向 (cause to) turn to one side or in a different direction; (cause to) leave the given path
He turned aside and let those who were waiting pass by.
She turned aside to hide her blushes.
On our journey, we turned aside to see the views.
Never turn aside from the path of rectitude.
不可背离正道。turn sth ⇔ aside
Armor-plate can turn aside bullets.
They tried to turn aside his anger.
- turn away ( v.+adv. )
拒绝(某人)进入; 拒绝帮助 refuse to allow sb to enter; refuse to help or support
He turned away and refused to listen.
She turned away in horror at the sight of so much blood.
I turned away, for the sight was too sad to look at.
我转过脸去,因为那情景实在太惨了。turn sth ⇔ away
She turned away her face.
Please don't turn your head away when I'm trying to kiss you.
我要吻你时请别把头扭过去。turn sb/sth ⇔ away
He turned away a beggar from his door.
He never turned away anyone who asked for his help.
The cinema is turning people away; the seats are all sold.
It's very difficult to satisfy the manager; he has already turned away three applicants this morning.
The stadium was so full that thousands of fans had to be turned away.
I'm afraid your request for a pay rise has been turned away.
- turn back( v.+adv. )
翻起,折转 move round a point; move so as to face in a different direction
We had to turn back because the road was blocked by snow.
因为路被雪封住了,所以我们只好往回走。turn sb/sth ⇔ back
The police turned them back.
We were turned back at the frontier.
The children were turned back at the gate.
They had intended to escape from the country, but they were turned back at the border.
The wheel of history can never be turned back.
历史车轮决不能倒转。turn sth ⇔ back
He turned back the coverlet and slipped between the sheets.
Don't turn back the corners of the pages to mark your place.
- turn down( v.+adv. )
拒绝; 驳回 refuse or reject
The housing sales have been turning down since the summer.
Investments turned down considerably during the economic crisis.
在经济危机中,投资大大减少了。turn sth ⇔ down
Please turn the radio down. I'm trying to sleep.
Can you turn the flame down on your cigarette lighter?
Turn the light down, or it will hurt your eyes.
As the kettle began to sing, he went over to turn down the gas.
The theatre lights were turned down.
舞台灯光暗淡下来。turn sb/sth ⇔ down
We have had to turn down four applicants already.
She has turned down an invitation to visit that country.
I don't understand why they turned down my suggestion.
I was selected to be foreman but I turned it down because I didn't want to stay there long.
Why was I turned down for the job?Is it because I'm a woman?
The proposal was turned down at the plenary meeting of the committee.
His application for a visa was turned down by the consulate.
- turn in1( v.+adv. )
放弃; 离开 abandon; leave
Her feet turn in as she walks.
My big toe on the right foot turns in.
我右脚大拇指向内弯曲。turn sth ⇔ in
It was the narrow shoes that turned my toes in.
窄紧的鞋把我的脚趾弄得向内弯曲了。turn sth ⇔ in
The teachers have to turn in the reports at the end of the school year.
Those who want to go are to turn in their application before Friday.
He has already turned in his resignation.
I'll have to turn it in first.
Our papers have to be turned in one week before the examination.
我们的论文必须在考试前一周交上去。turn sth ⇔ in
They turned in their old uniforms for the new ones.
You must turn in your equipment when you leave the army.
Tickets may be turned in at the box office.
What time do you usually turn in?
It's not a good habit to turn in and get up late.
The campers usually turned in as it got dark.
野营的人通常天一黑就睡觉。turn sb/oneself ⇔ in
I promise never to do it again! Please don't turn me in.
They turned the man in to the police for smuggling.
James is so mercenary that he'd turn in his own mother for the reward money.
The escaped criminal decided to turn himself in.
那逃犯决定去自首。turn sth ⇔ in
I'm going to turn in my night shift.
Jim decided to turn in his job and look for a new life.
I've had enough of work for today; I'm going to turn it in and go home.
He is determined to turn in smoking.
- turn in2( v.+prep. )
开车拐入; 把…转向… drive a car into sth; move sth in another direction
turn in sth
The driver had difficulty turning in such a narrow drive.
司机很难拐进这么窄的路。turn sth in sth
He turned his attention in another direction.
- turn inside out( v.+adv.+adv. )
彻底搜查,彻底查看 check thoroughly
turn inside out
The umbrella turned inside out.
This useful coat turns inside out so that you you can wear it on wet days, too.
这件大衣很有用,可以翻过来,下雨天也能穿。turn sth inside out
He turned his pocket inside out to show me that it was empty.
他把口袋翻出来让我看里面是空的。turn sth inside out
If you don't give us the evidence we want, we will turn the place inside out.
The city was turned inside out in the hunt for the terrorists.
- turn into( v.+prep. )
译成 translate sth from one language into another
turn into sb/sth
Joan is turning into quite a skilled musician.
He's turned into a nice boy after all.
In the fairy tale the frog turned into a prince.
Water turns into ice when the temperature is below freezing.
The friendly discussion had turned into a violent argument.
友好的讨论变成了唇枪舌剑。turn sb/oneself/sth into sb/sth
Her bitter experience has turned her into a stronger person.
Is it possible for such a person to turn himself into a good writer?
Daydreaming alone can't turn you into your heart's desire.
The farmers turned the sterile land into high fields.
Every time she is rude to you, try turning her hard words into a joke against herself.
The old building was turned into a library.
The mice were turned into horses by a magic spell.
Scientists used to think that common metals could be turned into gold.
过去,科学家曾认为一般的金属能变成金子。turn sth into sth
Can you turn the sentence into English?
- turn off1( v.+adv. )
解雇,辞退 fire sb
The tap won't turn off, and there is water all over the floor.
水龙头关不上,满地都是水。turn sth ⇔ off
He turned off the water.
We have to turn off the motor of the car while gas is being put in.
She turned the gas off and went upstairs.
Shall I turn the oven off?
The switch was sticking and we couldn't turn the heat off.
Please turn off the wireless.
If you don't like the programmes, you can simply turn off the television.
The road to Watts turns off here.
Is this where we turn off for Hull?
Go straight ahead as far as the highway turns off for the farm.
You must turn off to the right when you reach the post office.
在走到邮局前面时,你必须向右转弯。turn sth ⇔ off
I turned off a good piece of work this morning.
After a little while, the English teacher turned off an epigram.
The lathe will turn off the whole of a leg of a table in two revolutions.
Half the crowd turned off when the speaker began talking about pop music.
讲话人开始谈起流行音乐时,一半听众兴味索然。turn sb ⇔ off
The boy often turns off his mother.
That man is so arrogant! He really turns me off.
Her singing may turn you on, but it turns me off.
Her unfortunate manner of speech really turns me off.
Such poor teaching always turns students off.
这种低质量的教学总是倒学生们的胃口。turn sb ⇔ off
I have turned off my maid.
When some of the workers in the factory were turned off by the boss, a strike was called.
His faithful servant was turned off without a penny after twenty years' service.
- turn off2( v.+prep. )
(使)厌烦…,(使)对…失去兴趣 (cause sb to) dislike sb/sth or lose interest in sb/sth
turn off sth
Let's turn off this busy road and find a quieter way.
His home isn't far from the next intersection, so please turn off the highway there.
他家离下一个交叉口不远,请在那儿把车开出公路。turn sb/sth off sth
Turn that cat off my chair!
Unwanted visitors will be turned off my land.
让那些不受欢迎的来客离开我的领地。turn off sb/sth
I turned right off that subject when we got the new teacher.
换了新老师,我马上就不喜欢那门课了。turn sb off sb/sth
He is fairly good-looking but his bad breath turns me off him.
That hour of food poisoning has turned me off oysters for life!
- turn on1( v.+adv. )
(使)感兴趣; (使)兴奋 (cause to) become interested or excited
This tap is stiff, it won't turn on.
这个龙头太紧,拧不开。turn sth ⇔ on
Please turn on the light for me; it's getting dark.
Now that the pipe is mended we can turn the water on.
I feel a little bit cold. Shall I turn the fire on?
He turned the radio on to listen to the midday news.
You should light the gas as soon as it is turned on.
Some of the students really turned on to these different courses.
Many young people are taking drugs to turn on.
许多年轻人吸毒寻求刺激。turn sb ⇔ on
What kind of music turns you on?
Modern music turns some of the young people on.
I'm not impressed by their choice of candidate. He's not likely to turn the voters on.
The silk dress she was wearing really turned him on.
It takes a really special kind of teacher to turn on these disappointed students.
Go fishing if you must—whatever turns you on!
I'm not turned on by modern pop music.
- turn on2〔upon〕 ( v.+prep. )
视…而定; 关键在于 depend on
turn sth on〔upon〕 sb/sth
The police turn their guns on the bank robbers as they are running away.
The firemen turned their hoses on the blazing building.
Cannons were turned on the city and street fighting broke out.
大炮对准那个城市,巷战开始了。turn on〔upon〕 sb/sth
The cat turned on me and bit me in the leg.
The furious dog turns on every stranger who comes near.
Why did she turn on me like that?Have I said something to offend her?
There's no need to turn on the driver. It was the rain that spoiled our visit.
I did not expect to be turned on by a person whom I had friended.
我没有料到会遭到一个我曾作为朋友看待的人的攻击。turn on〔upon〕 sb/sth
Every design turns on the chief engineer.
The question turns on this point.
The success of a picnic usually turns on the weather.
The case turns on the judge's opinion of the prisoner's character.
The correct interpretation of the sentence turns upon this word.
Everything turned upon the result of the battle.
一切取决于战斗的胜败。turn on〔upon〕 wh-clause
Our planned outing turns on whether the day will be fine tomorrow.
The expedition turns on whether you can get up early tomorrow.
- turn out( v.+adv. )
出勤; 为职责或某事件而集合 come out or gather for duty or some event
turn sth ⇔ out
Don't forget to turn out the light when you leave the classroom.
你离开教室时别忘了关灯。turn sb/sth ⇔ out
The factory turns out 100 automobiles a day.
She turned out six full-length novels in her life.
This university has turned out some first-rate scholars.
Many TV sets have been turned out by this factory.
这家工厂生产了许多电视机。turn out (to be) n\u002e/adj\u002e
He said he was a doctor; but later he turned out to be a cheat.
The day turned out (to be) a fine day.
The English evening turned out a great success.
It turned out just the opposite.
His statement turned out to be false.
Everything turned out well.
结果是事事顺利。it turn out that-clause
It turned out that he was never there.
Not many men turned out for duty.
Very few people turned out for the rally.
Fire engines turned out as soon as the fire broke out.
- turn out of( v.+adv.+prep. )
赶出 expel sb out
turn sb out of sth
The landlord turned the people out of their homes because they couldn't pay the rent.
He was turned out of the hotel because he was drunk.
He was turned out of the hall for making too much noise.
- turn over( v.+adv. )
移交; 交给; 让位于 give the control of sth to
He was turning over in bed.
The car struck the wall and turned over.
Having read page one, he turned over to page two.
The engine won't turn over because the battery has run out.
这台发动机不能运转了,因为电池已经用完。turn sb/sth ⇔ over
The nurse turned the old man over and gave him an injection in the left buttock.
If you turn over a turtle on its back, it becomes helpless.
The demonstrators damaged a bus and turned over a police car.
I turned over a page or two of the novel, but was not interested.
A big wave turned the boat over.
Be careful how you turn your collar over to be in the latest fashion.
That record is finished. Turn it over to play the other side.
I know the boy behaved very badly on his last visit, but I promise you that he's turned over a new leaf and will be good from now on.
The soil must be thoroughly turned over before planting.
一定要先把土地深耕一遍再下种。turn sth ⇔ over
He remained in his study, turning over the matter in his head.
I will turn the matter over in my mind and tell you tomorrow what I have decided.
The technician turned over the knotty problem for a long time until he found a solution to it.
技术员把那个难题考虑了好长时间,直到想出一个解决的办法。turn sb/sth ⇔ over (to sb)
To whom should we turn over the key when we leave here?
Bob turns over most of the money he earns to his mother.
He has turned over the business to his son.
Mr. Collins will turn over his work to Mr. Giles when he goes away.
This difficulty is not something we can deal with, so we had better turn it over to the manager.
The victim turned the pieces of the exploded bomb over to the police.
I turned the thief over to the guards at the building.
Luckily, my watch was turned over to the property office.
- turn to1( v.+adv. )
开始积极工作 begin to work hard
It is time we turn to.
The workers soon turned to and got the task done quickly.
- turn to2 ( v.+prep. )
(使)变成 (cause to) change to
turn to sb/sth
Turn to the right.
“Just a minute,” the American says, turning to his hostess.
“且慢!”那美国人一边说着一边转向他的女主人。turn sth to sb/sth
He turned his back to me.
I love turning my face to the sun in the early spring.
The actress always turned her left profile to the cameras.
She's a most useful person in the office, she can turn her hand to anything.
Why are all the people in the village turning a cold shoulder to me?What have I done to offend them?
为什么全村的人都不理我? 我干了什么得罪他们的事儿了?turn to sth
More and more people turn to computer science.
For relaxation he turns to tennis.
He turned to his work again.
He has turned to the practice of medicine.
After this heartbreaking experience,Thorpe turned to professional sports.
He couldn't earn a living as a novelist, so he turned to journalist.
他靠写小说不能维持生计,因此改行当了记者。turn sth to sth/v-ing
We are all turning our thoughts to the matter.
You should turn your thoughts to something more important.
He turned his energies to completing the job.
他集中精力完成那项工作。turn to sth
If you turn to page 40, you will find it.
Turn ahead to the third chapter.
I turn to the front and try to outline the book.
Let me turn to my notes to refresh my memory of the figures.
让我翻翻记录回忆一下那些数字。turn to sb/sth (for sth)
He turned to me for help.
I have no one but you to turn to.
She often turns to the book for guidance.
Painful illness led him to turn to drugs.
One can always turn to music for comfort.
We often turn to this handbook for information.
Even when they read, they don't turn to the dictionary every time they see an unknown word.
He was turned to for advice by all sorts of people.
各种各样的人都向他求教。turn to sth
It is getting colder, and I think the rain will soon turn to snow.
The snow turned to rain as we got further down the mountain.
Soon her glee turns to fear.
很快她的欢欣变成了恐惧。turn sth to sth
Is it the low temperature that turns the water to ice?
Where can I turn these pounds to dollars?
My wish is to turn my skills to the service of mankind.
Their friendship was turned to enmity through idle gossip.
- turn up ( v.+adv. )
出现; 找到 appear or reappear; find
turn sth ⇔ up
I feel cold and I'd like to turn the heat up a little.
He turned up the collar of his coat.
The ploughman turned up some buried treasure.
She turned up at the last moment.
It's time to set off, but no one has turned up.
I turned up at the address he gave me but the house was empty.
She is still waiting for something to turn up.
About 3000 turned up for this rally.
The book you've lost may turn up one of these days.
你遗失的那本书也许这几天会找到。turn sth ⇔ up
Please see if you can turn up any information on the proposed bypass scheme.
- at every turn
老是; 处处 all the time; everywhere
- by turns
轮流地; 交替地 one after the other; in rotation
- do a good turn
做有利于(某人的)事 do sb a favour
do sb a good turn
Being made redundant actually did me a good turn because I soon found a much better job.
She had done me so many good turns; I was touched by this last one.
He did me a good turn by lending me his bicycle.
- in turn
依次,轮流地 one after the other; in succession
- on the turn
即将改变; 走另一条路 about to change; go a different way
- out of turn
不合时宜,轻率 not at the correct or permitted time
- serve sb's/one's turn
合用,管用 act as a temporary
- take a turn for the better〔worse〕
好转; 恶化 improve; deteriorate
- take turns
替换,轮流 do sth one after another or in regular order
take turns (at) v-ing
Mary and Helen took turns at sitting up with their sick mother.
They took turns at watching him when he had a fever.
The three men took turns driving so one would not be too tired.
那三个人轮流开车,这样谁也不会太累。take turns to-v
The students took turns to clean up their classroom.
- to a turn
- turn(s) of phrase
措词特征 manner of saying〔writing〕 sth
- turn of speed
快速运行 fast rate of movement
- turn of the century
本世纪初 the beginning of the century
- turn a door handle 转动门的把手
- turn a dress 翻新衣服
- turn a knob 转动旋钮
- turn a phonograph record 将唱片翻面
- turn a shaft 转动旋钮轴
- turn a somersault 翻筋斗
- turn a vase on a potter's wheel 转动制陶轮上的花瓶胚
- turn one's chair 把椅子转过来
- turn one's eyes 把视线移开
- turn one's flight 改变飞行方向
- turn one's gaze 转过目光,凝视
- turn one's head 把头转过来
- turn pancakes 把煎饼翻个面
- turn the cap 旋动盖子
- turn the corner 拐弯,绕过角落
- turn the dial 把立体声电唱机上的转盘转动
- turn the earth 翻土
- turn the key 转动钥匙
- turn the page of a book 翻书页
- turn the steam iron 转动蒸气电熨斗的指示钮
- turn the steering wheel 转动方向盘〔舵轮〕
- turn the tap 拧水龙头
- turn adrift 使在水上漂泊
- turn downward 下跌
- turn homeward 转身往家走
- turn left 向左转
- turn right 向右转
- turn sharp 急转
- turn south 向南拐
- turn topsy-turvy 颠倒,倾覆,使混乱
- turn abruptly 突然转身
- turn frequently 经常翻
- turn gently 轻轻地拧
- turn noiselessly 无声息地转身
- turn reluctantly 不情愿地改变
- turn swiftly 飞快地旋转
- turn about 转身,转向,依次,反复思考
- turn around 转过去,转变,改变意见
- turn aside 闪开,避开,转过脸去,使转变方向,叉开
- turn away 走开,离开,把…打发走
- turn back 转过来,往回走,折叠
- turn down an invitation 拒绝邀请
- turn down the gas 把煤气旋小
- turn in 拐进,交出,上床,放弃
- turn off the tap 关上水龙头
- turn on the tap 旋开水龙头
- turn out 使向外弯曲,关上,制造,驱逐,解雇,结果(是)
- turn coat out 把大衣翻过来
- turn over (使)翻过来,移交,反复考虑,大量卖出
- turn round 改变
- turn up 扭亮,开大,发现,找出,发生,查阅
- turn facts upside down 颠倒是非
- turn against one's friends 转过来攻击朋友
- turn for home 转身往家走
- turn for the better 好转
- turn from the high road into a narrow lane 从大路拐进一条小胡同
- turn in the direction of 转身向…走去
- turn into a better person 变成更好的人
- turn into a road 转入一条马路
- turn into a street 拐到一条街道
- turn into ice 结成冰
- turn off the main road 离开大路
- turn on 把…对准,对…发怒,攻击…,依赖…,取决于
- turn out of 逐出
- turn round sth 绕着…转
- turn to a new field 转向新领域
- turn to a new subject (转而)致力于新课题
- turn to a new topic 转到新话题
- turn to one's family for help 求助于家庭
- turn to one's mother for comfort 向母亲寻求安慰
- turn to the audience 转身对着观众
- turn to the designers for advice 向设计人员求教
- turn to the study of art 转而从事艺术
- turn towards home 转身回家
- turn towards the mirror 朝着镜子
- add a second turn 另加一班
- disturb turns 搞乱顺序
- handle a turn 转动一下把手
- give a turn 引到一个方面
- have a turn 有天赋
- make a turn 转弯
- missed one's turn 错过机会
- need a turn 需要旋动
- negotiate a turn 拐过弯去
- take turns 依次,轮流
- take the turn 转弯
- walk a turn 来回地走,走来走去
- beautiful turn of words 漂亮的说法
- difficult turn 难转的弯
- explosive turn 急剧变化
- favourable turn 有利的转机
- left turn 左转弯
- new turn 新的转折点
- shallow turn 慢转弯,大转弯
- sharp turn 急转弯,小转弯
- sudden turn 突然的转弯
- unexpected turn 意想不到的变化
- unfavourable turn 不利的转折点
- about turn of event 对事态的变化
- at each turn 每转一圈
- at the turn of the century 在本世纪初
- at every turn 老是,处处
- by turns 轮流地,交替地
- in turn 依次地,轮流地
- on the turn 正在转变中,(牛奶)在变酸
- out of turn 不合时宜地,不看场合地,轻率地,鲁莽地
- to a turn 正好,恰好
Florence and her dowry..were lost..by a turn of the dice.出自： B. H. Malkin
In a few turns of the hands of the..clock.出自： J. Ruskin
Waters turning busy mills.出自： W. Cowper
He turned the heating wheel.出自： G. Greene
She turned the ring on her finger round and round.出自： A. Christie
A newly skinned beaver slowly turning over a fire.出自： H. Norman
- turn后接副词away表示“离开,走开,把…打发走”; 后接副词back表示“折回,返回”; 后接副词down表示“拒绝接受某人〔某事〕”; 后接副词in表示“睡觉,转身进入,拐入”“把某物上交,把某物交出”; 后接副词off表示“关(自来水、电源、煤气等)”; 后接副词over表示“翻身,将…翻身”; 后接副词out表示“结果是…,证明是…”“撵出”“生产”; 后接副词up表示“出现,出席,到达”“发现”。
- 在口语里, turn可表示“惊吓,震惊”“不适,疾病的发作”,作“惊吓,震惊”解时,通常用作单数形式。
- turn, alter, become, change, convert, modify, vary
- Whatever we do, we can't change〔alter〕 the facts.不管我们做什么,我们总不能改变事实。
- He has changed〔altered〕 a lot since I last saw him.自从上次见面到现在,他变了很多。
- The weather changes〔alters〕 almost daily.天气差不多天天在变。
- 1.change在这几个词中是最普遍、最不正式的一个,可用于任何变化的过程,而不论变化的性质和程度; alter指局部的、表面的、轻微的“改变”“改动”,修改后仍基本上保持原状; alter和convert都指形式和用途上的局部微小改变; turn指彻底改变,以至面目全非,且常用于朝坏的方向改变; modify指限定在一定范围内的修改或修饰,以使之更完美; vary则指事物或其一部分暂时地或反复地变化,从而使事物各部分呈现不同外貌和特点。例如:
- When matter changes to a substance different from what it was, the change is a chemical change.当物质变成和原来不同的物质时,这种变化是化学变化。
- The plan is O.K. at large, but I suggest it be altered.该计划总的来说是可以的,但我建议做进一步修改。
- Pressure varies directly with temperature and inversely with volume.压力随温度成正比例变化,与容积成反比例变化。
- All the bank bill was converted into cash.所有的银行票据都兑换成了现金。
- Those who were once for him have turned against him.那些原来支持他的人现在转而反对他。
- The newspaper turned against the president.该报转而攻击总统。
- After he left the university, he became a teacher, but he later turned to translation.他大学毕业后当了教师,但后来转向翻译工作。
- 2.convert可指改变信仰,尤其是宗教信仰; modify指态度变温和。例如:
- He has converted from Buddhism to Catholicism.他已放弃佛教改信天主教了。
- You'd better modify your tone.你最好缓和一下你的口气。
- He will have to modify his views if he wants to be elected.他如果想当选,就得把观点变得明朗些。
- turn, become, come, go, grow
- 1.come多指向好的方向转变; go往往指向坏的方面转变; become指向好的(也可指向坏的)方面发展, turn是正式用语,指向好的,也指向坏的方面转变。试比较:
- When did that style of dress come into fashion?
- When did that style of dress go out of fashion?
- 2.come的主语往往是人; become的主语可以是人或物; 而go的主语多是物。
- 3.come的表语通常是形容词; become的表语可以是形容词、代词或名词(须加不定冠词); go和grow的表语为形容词; turn的表语可以是形容词或名词(不加不定冠词)。
- turn, depend, hang, hinge
- depend侧重思想上的悬念,无法进行预测,常指对某物的未来情景捉摸不定; hinge侧重思想上的悬念; hang不太侧重事件的捉摸不定或没把握的成功等; turn侧重旋转和对变化的、偶然的东西的依赖。例如:
- Whether he goes back to jail depends on whether he violates parole.他是否重回监狱得看他假释期是否犯罪而定。
- Everything hinges on where we go next.一切要看我们下一步去哪里而定。
- The future of the company hangs on the outcome of his meeting.公司的前途取决于这次会议的结果。
- The success of the negotiations turns on getting the agreement of the Italian delegation.谈判的成功依赖于取得意大利代表团的同意。
- turn into, become
- become着重目前状态; turn into着重改变用途。例如:
- The storeroom has become a workshop.
- The storeroom has been turned into a workshop.
- turn out, bear, produce, yield
- bear表示“产仔或结果实”,可引申指“再生产”; produce的用法更广,可指生产一切有形的或无形的东西; yield也表示生产,但强调结果与回报,而不是所做的努力; turn out强调结果,但同时还侧重先前付出的劳动与艰辛。例如:
- The soil bears good cotton.
- Gas can be produced from coal.
- His business yields big profits.
- This factory can turn out 100 cars a day.
- turn out, prove
- 这两者的共同意思是“证明”。其区别在于:prove的主语可以是人,也可以是事物; 而turn out的主语一般是物,有时含有“意外”的含义,常用于口语中。例如:
- His first attempt proved successful.他的第一次尝试证明是成功的。
- They proved that he was guilty.他们证明他有罪。
- As it has turned out, there was no need to worry.结果证明当初不必担心。
- They took turns at watching the baby.
- They took turns watching the baby.
- We took turns with them standing guard.
- We took turns with them at standing guard.
误 The young woman turned a musician.
正 The young woman turned musician.
正 The young woman became a musician.
误 Her face turned to white at the news.
正 Her face turned white at the news.他的头发很快就变灰白了。
误 His hair turned to grey fast.
正 His hair turned grey fast.
析 turn to表示“朝…方向转动”; 而turn作“向…转变”解用作系动词时,其后直接跟形容词作表语。过上个生日时他就五十岁了。
误 He turned to fifty on his last birthday.
正 He turned fifty on his last birthday.她还不到十六岁。
误 She has not yet turned to sixteen.
正 She has not yet turned sixteen.已经十点了。
误 It has turned to ten o'clock.
正 It has turned ten o'clock.
析 turn 用在年龄和时间方面表示“(年龄)刚过…”“(时间)已到…”时,是及物动词,其后直接加宾语。他对我们要求帮助的请求置之不理。
误 He turned a deaf ear about our request for help.
正 He turned a deaf ear to our request for help.
析 “充耳不闻”“置之不理”可以说 turn a deaf ear to,介词 to 不可改为about。他转过身来,发现一名警察正以怀疑的目光注视着他。
误 He turned back to find a policeman eyeing him suspiciously.
正 He turned round to find a policeman eyeing him suspiciously.
析 turn back意为“返回”“走回原地”; “转身”“扭过头来”可以说turn round。离开房间时请别忘记关灯。
误 Be sure to turn down the light when you leave the room.
正 Be sure to turn off the light when you leave the room.你能把收音机声音关小一点吗?孩子正在睡觉。
误 Would you please turn off the radio a little?The baby is sleeping.
正 Would you please turn down the radio a little?The baby is sleeping.
析 turn down意为“把(收音机音量等)开小”“把(声音)放低”; “关上(收音机、电灯,水龙头等)”用turn off。遇到麻烦时他们总是找我帮忙。
误 They always turn into me when they are in trouble.
正 They always turn to me when they are in trouble.她没有能寻求建议的人。
误 She had no one to turn into for advice.
正 She had no one to turn to for advice.孩子找他的母亲寻求安慰。
误 The child turned into its mother for comfort.
正 The child turned to its mother for comfort.天黑了,没有一个人他可以求救。
误 It was dark. There was no one into whom he could turn for help.
正 It was dark. There was no one to whom he could turn for help.
析 turn into意为“变为”“使变为”,而表示“找某人寻求(帮助、建议等)”常说turn to sb for...,其中的介词to不能换为into。鲍勃对“不准钓鱼”的告示视而不见。
误 Bob turned a blind eye at the “No Fishing” sign.
正 Bob turned a blind eye to/on the “No Fishing” sign.
析 “对…视而不见”“故意不理会”可以用 turn a blind eye to/on sth,这里介词 to 或 on 不可以换作 at。这伙强盗把房间翻了个底朝天。
误 The robbers had turned the room inside out.
正 The robbers had turned the room upside down.
析 turn sth inside out意为“把里面的东西翻出来”“彻底搜查”; 表示“翻转”“倒放”“彻底弄乱”时可以说turn sth upside down。华灯齐放,广场显得更加辉煌。
误 The square looks more splendid with all the lights turning on.
正 The square looks more splendid with all the lights turned on.
析 with短语在句中作伴随状语, turn on有被动意义,因此用过去分词短语。把裤腿卷起来就不会湿了。
误 Turn over your trousers legs and they won't get wet.
正 Turn up your trousers legs and they won't get wet.
析 turn over意为“翻转”,而“卷起”用turn up。
误 The cap of the bottle opened with a turn.
正 The cap of the bottle opened at a turn.
误 When you reach the end of this road, take the turn to the left.
正 When you reach the end of this road, take a turn to the left.晚间他的健康状况恶化了。
误 His condition took the turn for the worse during the night.
正 His condition took a turn for the worse during the night.
析 “转向…”“向…发展”是take a turn to〔for〕,不用定冠词the。他们一个接一个地按顺序上了汽车。
误 They got on the bus by turns.
正 They got on the bus in turn.他们在会上依次发言。
误 They spoke by turns at the meeting.
正 They spoke in turn at the meeting.
析 by turns是“交替”“轮流”的意思,多指两个人或两个行为之间的交替进行; 如表示“按顺序”则应该用in turn。晚间我们轮流看守在他床边。
误 At night we watched at his bedside by turn.
正 At night we watched at his bedside by turns.我们轮流护理这个生病的孩子。
误 We took turn at nursing the sick child.
正 We took turns at nursing the sick child.
析 turn在by turns和take turns等短语中,习惯用复数。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的turnian，意为旋转；最初源自古法语的torner，意为转动。
- write n.
- fix 使 ... 固定