- vt. 以…支撑 support with a stake
- vt. 区分; 界分 mark an area with stakes
- vt. 下注 risk money, one's hopes, etc.
(law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something;
"they have interests all over the world"
"a stake in the company's future"
a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track);
"a pair of posts marked the goal"
"the corner of the lot was indicated by a stake"
instrument of execution consisting of a vertical post that a victim is tied to for burning
the money risked on a gamble
a strong wooden or metal post with a point at one end so it can be driven into the ground
put at risk;
"I will stake my good reputation for this"
place a bet on;
"Which horse are you backing?"
"I'm betting on the new horse"
mark with a stake;
"stake out the path"
tie or fasten to a stake;
"stake your goat"
kill by piercing with a spear or sharp pole;
"the enemies were impaled and left to die"
- He drove a stake into the ground.
- This decision puts our lives at stake.
- Most parents feel that they have a stake in their children's future,and so will use every effort to help them.
- He put up a stake to support the newly planted tree.
- I will stake my good reputation for this.
- I have staked all my hopes on you.
- He staked newly planted trees.
- I have staked the apple trees in my garden.
- The city engineer staked the new school site.
- He staked his part of the field.
- stake on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
以…下注,把…押在…上 risk (money, one's hopes, etc.) on sb/sth
stake sth on〔upon〕 sb/sth
I've staked all hopes on you.
I'd stake my life on it.
I staked ten pence upon a horse, and it won.
- stake out〔off〕 (v.+adv.)
用木桩标出 mark (an area) with stakes
stake sth ⇔ out〔off〕
He's staked out this part of the house as his own.
They are staking out the ground for a new football pitch.
They've set aside a small area as a children's playground, and staked it off.
- stake on〔upon〕 在…上打赌
You can win..a hundred dollars on a game, but the stakes are usually..lower.出自： J. Cheever
A pet sheep staked to mow the grass within the radius of its rope.出自： N. Gordimer
Stake tall plants on exposed plots.出自：Amateur Gardening
Bashford staked his..estate and all his money on his..horse.出自： P. Kavanagh
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的staca，意为监视。