- [C][U]习惯,习性 a tendency to behave in a particular way or do particular thing, especially regularly and repeatedly over a long period
- an established custom;
"it was their habit to dine at 7 every evening"
- (psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition;
"owls have nocturnal habits"
"she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"
"long use had hardened him to it"
- a distinctive attire worn by a member of a religious order
- the general form or mode of growth (especially of a plant or crystal);
"a shrub of spreading habit"
- attire that is typically worn by a horseback rider (especially a woman's attire)
- excessive use of drugs
- put a habit on
- He is in the habit of rising early.
- I have to bear with his bad habit.
- My colleague has broken off the habit of smoking.
- He has a habit of sunbathe for two hours a day.
Some of the things we do scarcely give a thought to; we just do them from habit.
After a few weeks of firm control, the teacher was able to relax his grip on the class, who continued to obey him out of habit.
The habit is easily acquired but broken up with difficulty.
The habit carries over from my childhood.
Now, not enough is being done to educate smokers about the benefits of stopping the habit.
Relatives should try to persuade smokers to kick the habit.
Since theft has become his habit, he should be confined.
I declared war against the bad habits.
We must civilize away the boy's bad habits.
He binds over to give up his bad habits.
He has grown out of the bad habits of his boyhood days.
It is difficult to adjust one's habits to someone else.
His tastes and habits coincide with those of his wife.
They often give talks, advising children to acquire hygienic habits.
She was a young lady in a close-fitting habit.
The nun wears her own special habit.
His wife is already off the habit.
John has always been trying to keep up a cheerful habit of mind.
Resistance is a natural habit of men who have been oppressed.
It is a good habit to eat slowly.
He made it a habit to take a walk after lunch.
The habit of obedience was burned into me as a child.
We can't expect one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
In a new job, one should fling off old habits of thought.
He has laid aside the habit of smoking.
It pays to study the events of the past, since history has a habit of repeating itself.
He has a habit of biting his lips when he is puzzled.
- be in the habit of
习惯于…,有…的习惯 have a tendency to behave in a particular way or do particular thing be in the habit of v-ing
Are you in the habit of rising early?你有早起的习惯吗?
It was impossible to discuss anything private over the telephone, as the operator was in the habit of listening in.在电话里不能谈私人的秘密,因为接线员有窃听电话的习惯。
- 习惯于…,有…的习惯 have a tendency to behave in a particular way or do particular thing be in the habit of v-ing
- break the/one's habit(s)
打破习惯 stop the habit
You must break your bad habit of interrupting a speaker. 你必须改掉打断别人讲话的坏习惯。
We must break the child's habit of biting his nails. 我们必须使这个孩子改掉咬指甲的习惯。
When a man comes to my age, habits are everything, and it is really dreadful to have to break your habits. 当一个人到了我这个年龄的时候,习惯就是一切,如果一个人不得不打破习惯,那可真可怕。
He is determined to break all the bad habits. 他决心改掉所有坏习惯。
- 打破习惯 stop the habit
- form the/one's habit(s)
养成习惯 start a habit of
It's true that once you formed the habit of smoking, you'll find it extremely difficult to get out of it. 的确如此,一旦养成抽烟的习惯,要改掉是非常难的。
The young worker has formed the habit of having every tool in its place. 这位青年工人已习惯于把每一件工具放在应该放的位置。
Children should form the good habits from the very beginning. 孩子们从一开始就应养成良好的习惯。
They need to form the habit of reading carefully. 他们得养成仔细读书的习惯。
- 养成习惯 start a habit of
- get into a/the habit
学会; 养成…习惯 learn or become accustomed to
The boy has got into the habit of washing his hands before meals. 那男孩已养成饭前洗手的习惯。
John, however, had gotten into the habit of drinking too much liquor. 可是,约翰已养成了酗酒的坏习惯。
You should get into the habit of going to bed early and getting up early. 你们应该养成早睡早起的习惯。
- 学会; 养成…习惯 learn or become accustomed to
- make a habit of
做(某事)成了习惯 do regularly; develop the habit of make a habit of v-ing
He made a habit of taking a nap after lunch.他养成了午饭后小睡的习惯。
- 做(某事)成了习惯 do regularly; develop the habit of make a habit of v-ing
- pick up some〔any〕 habits
染上…的习惯 acquire or obtain by chance, or unexpectedly
I don't want to pick up any bad habits from those people. 我不想从那些人那里染上任何坏习惯。
- 染上…的习惯 acquire or obtain by chance, or unexpectedly
- acquire a habit 养成某种习惯
- become a habit 成为习惯
- break a habit 戒掉某种习惯
- build up habit 养成习惯
- change one's habits 改变习惯
- contract habit 养成习惯
- correct a habit 改正一种习惯
- cultivate habit 养成习惯
- cure a habit 纠正习惯
- destroy a habit 破坏习惯
- develop a habit 养成一种习惯
- discard habit 戒除习惯
- drop a habit 中止一种习惯
- establish a habit 养成一种习惯
- fall into a habit 养成一种习惯
- follow a habit 遵守一种习惯
- form a habit 形成一种习惯
- get rid of habit 戒除习惯
- implant habit 养成习惯
- inculcate habit 养成习惯
- keep a habit 保持一种习惯
- kick the habit 戒掉嗜好
- maintain a habit 保持一种习惯
- make a habit of 形成…习惯,总做…
- overcome habit 戒掉嗜好
- root up habit 改掉习惯
- abstemious habit 饮食有度的习惯
- bad habit 坏习惯
- correct habits 合乎礼仪的习惯
- foreign habit 异国风尚
- funny habit 可笑的习惯
- general habit 普通的习惯
- good habit 好习惯
- luxurious habit 奢侈的习性
- national habit 民族风俗
- old habit 老习惯
- personal habit 个人习惯
- strange habit 奇怪的习惯
- cigarette habit 烟瘾
- dictionary habit 查词典的习惯
- dress habit 衣着习惯
- drinking habit 纵酒恶习
- drug habit 吸毒成癖
- living habits 生活习惯
- reading habit 读书癖
- smoking habit 抽烟的习惯
- tea habit 饮茶的习惯
Bolingbroke's Patriot King, dressed up in the habit of the elder Pitt.出自：H. J. Laski
Two elderly women, habited in old-fashioned..mourning.出自：M. Innes
- habit后的定语可用“of v -ing”形式,但不可用to- v 。注意当句中有it充当形式主语或宾语,而以动词不定式作真正的主语或宾语时,该动词不定式可以置于补语habit之后。
- habit, custom
这两个词都有“习惯,习俗,风俗”的意思。其区别是：1.custom指群体经过一段时期不断沿用而变成的习惯或惯例; habit指某个人反复地做某种动作,久而久之形成的自然习惯或习性,行动时不用思索。例如:This custom is on the decline.这种风俗渐渐消失。He has the irritating habit of smoking during meals.他有边吃饭边抽烟那让人讨厌的习惯。2.custom有时也指个人习惯,这时与habit的区别是:habit常指不好的习惯,而custom则常指良好的习惯。例如:It is his custom to take a cold bath every morning.他每天早晨有洗冷水澡的习惯。He has a habit of biting his lips when he is puzzled.他感到困惑时有咬嘴唇的习惯。
- habit, practice, usage
这组词的共同意思是“习惯做法”。其区别在于:1.habit指一个人有规律地经常做某事,由于这种动作某人反复地做,久而久之形成自然习惯或习性,做时不用思索。2.usage指多个人使用某物或做某件事的一种普遍方法。例如:It was common usage for dried fish to be wrapped in newspaper.用报纸包干鱼是一种普遍应用的方法。3.practice常常表示一个人有意识地去“培养”而形成的习惯做法。例如:The newspaper alleged the mayor's corrupt practices.那家报纸断言市长有舞弊行为。Armed with such a precept, a number of doctors may slip into deceptive practices.有了这样一条指导原则,一些医生可能渐渐习惯于采取骗人的做法。
- habit practice custom convention
- That proved to be my undoing, for I soon got back to my old bad habit of dozing off in front of the screen.
- On the other hand, your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat——the normally accepted practice in many northern countries.
- She walked slowly into the hall and at once noticed that all the room doors were open,yet following her general practice she had shut them before going out.
- custom:custom具有 habit 和 practice 的一切含义，此外，custom 还包含这样一层意思：长期而广泛采用的行为或方法，即风俗习惯，按照某地区人们共同生活及其行为的准则或规范，它不仅有指导意义，而且具有必须遵循的意义。
- Don't be a slave to custom.
- From the moment of his birth the customs into which he is born shape his experience and behaviour.
- They disregard social conventions without being conscious that they are doing anything extraordinary.
误 He has fallen into the habit to drink.
正 He has fallen into the habit of drinking.
误 He has fallen into the habit to call at his brother's flat on Thursday evenings.
正 He has fallen into the habit of calling at his brother's flat on Thursday evenings.
析 habit后不能用动词不定式作定语,只能用“of n./v -ing”形式。
误 It was a habit of Tom to put his hands in his trousers pockets.
正 It was a habit with Tom to put his hands in his trousers pockets.
析 句型It's a habit with sb to- v 为固定结构,其中with不可换为of。
- ☆ 14世纪中期进英入语，直接源自拉丁语的habitus，意为特征，情况。
- HABIT:Holding, Aiming, Breathing, Instinctive Position, Trigger control (Canadian Forces)持有,瞄准,呼吸,本能的位置,触发控制(加拿大军队)
- HABIT:Health And Behavior Information Transfer健康行为的信息传递
- HABIT:Hips, Abdominals, Butts, and Incredible ThighsAbdominals臀部、大腿、臀部,令人难以置信
- habit:habit n. 习惯, 习性习惯用语be in the habit of 惯于, 有某种习惯be in a habit of 惯于, 有某种习惯break off the habit of 改掉..…