- 试行，试着推 ，试穿
- vt. & vi. 试图,努力 make an effort or attempt (to do sth); endeavour
- vt. & vi. 实验,试用 test; experiment
- vt. 考验、磨炼 put a severe test to; stretch almost to limit; cause to suffer, annoy, etc.
- vt. 审讯,审理 inquire into (a case) in a court of law
- [C]尝试 an attempt to do sth
earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something;
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"
"wished him luck in his endeavor"
"she gave it a good try"
make an effort or attempt;
"He tried to shake off his fears"
"The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"
"The police attempted to stop the thief"
"He sought to improve himself"
"She always seeks to do good in the world"
put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to;
"This approach has been tried with good results"
"Test this recipe"
put on trial or hear a case and sit as the judge at the trial of;
"The football star was tried for the murder of his wife"
"The judge tried both father and son in separate trials"
take a sample of;
"Try these new crackers"
"Sample the regional dishes"
examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process;
"The jury had heard all the evidence"
"The case will be tried in California"
give pain or trouble to;
"I've been sorely tried by these students"
test the limits of;
"You are trying my patience!"
melt (fat or lard) in order to separate out impurities;
"try the yak butter"
"render fat in a casserole"
put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice;
"Try on this sweater to see how it looks"
- This idea seems good but you need to try it out.
- I think I'll try my luck at roulette.
- He is trying his best to understand his meaning.
- Don't try to smooth over your faults.
- He is trying his best to understand his meaning.
- A youth was tried in the criminal court for stealing.
- His courage was severely tried by his ordeal.
- After a few tries they decided to give up.
- I just don't see why we shouldn't give it a try.
- He didn't even try.
- You never know what you can do till you try.
- He tried but didn't succeed.
- Why don't you try?
- They don't have it. Let's try elsewhere.
- Try and eat a little.
- Try and see whether you can get it fixed.
- I think we ought to try and come to some arrangement about it.
- Don't worry,I'll try and teach you.
- Let's try and ease their food problem a little.
- I don't think I can do it, but I'll try.
- I'll try some aspirin.
- Try some of this.
- Do try some Maotai.
- I'll just try a drop, then.
- I'd like to try chopsticks.
- Thank you. I've never tried a Chinese cigarette.
- They tried all the usual methods to reduce the swelling, but nothing worked.
- Let's try something else.
- Time tries all things.
- He must try his own opinions in the debate.
- Rheumatism tries me a great deal.
- Small print tries our eyes.
- Don't try your eyes by working in a dim light.
- The child tried his patience to the utmost.
- Which judge will try the case?
- So they tried him and sentenced him to twenty-five years in prison.
- He tried his hardest (try).
- Both plans have been tried, but without success.
- Each machine is tried before it leaves the shops.
- Each instrument is tried before it is packed.
- The poor man is very ill,he is sorely tried.
- He was going to be tried by court martial.
- The prisoners were tried for murder.
- Their case will be tried next week.
- He has been trying to solve the problem.
- I'll try to improve.
- We'll try to finish the work in a week.
- I'll try and come back by four o'clock.
- It's difficult enough trying to make the trains run on time without having to contend with bad weather.
- I'm trying to connect these two pieces of wire.
- The enemy was trying to throw a fire barrier across our path.
- I tried hard to restrain myself.
- Wait till I send you word. Don't try to connect me.
- Doctors are trying to confine the disease within the city.
- Doctors have been trying to combat against this disease for years.
- She felt that it was hopeless to try to clean her hand of the blood.
- I have been ill for two weeks, and so I must try to catch up with my work.
- He was captured trying to escape from the country.
- We should try to learn economic theory and apply it.
- We should first try and acquaint ourselves with the new job.
- If you try and intimidate us by threats, you'll get more than you bargained for.
- I really must try and see Mary this afternoon.
- We must try and carry on as if nothing had happened.
- Did you try and do it?
- Try not to break it.
- Don't try to excuse yourself.
- Don't try to bring pressure to bear on him; let him make the decision himself.
- Don't worry. I'll try and help you.
- Let's try to clear up our difficult and doubtful points.
- Let's try to make the best use of our resources and cut the production costs to the bone.
- Let's try and make it clear.
- He tried speaking English fast.
- She tried writing out her views.
- Try cleaning it with petrol.
- We'll try doing the work in other way.
- He tried cooking lunch.
- The cotton-growing group tried raising cotton seedlings in cold beds and then transplanting them.
- The enemy tried cutting off their retreat, but didn't succeed.
- I wouldn't try chatting her up if I were you.
- Try what you can do.
- Let's try which takes most.
- Try whether you can lift the box.
- He tried whether he could stand up by himself.
- Try whether you can jump over it.
- She tried herself to describe what she remembered.
- He cast off fear and decided to make a try.
- Come on, give it a try.
- They have made a good try.
- If you can't do it, let me have a try.
- I had three tries and failed each time.
- After several tries they finally succeeded.
- The first try was not successful.
- I don't know whether I can mend the clock, but I'll have a try at it.
- He had a try at solving the problem.
- You may not get the job, but at least you can have a try for it.
- try after (v.+prep.)
谋求; 争取 try for
try after sth
They all tried after the first prize.
He tried after the post of secretary, but was too late to be considered for it.
- try one's best
竭尽全力; 尽力 do the best one can; do all one can
try one's best
Whatever you do, try your best.
无论你做什么,都要尽力而为。try one's best to-v
He tried his best to help us.
Now that the decision has been made, we must try our best to carry it out.
Let's try our best to get the task fulfilled ahead of schedule.
He tried his best to verify this theory.
She tried her best to be calm.
- try for (v.+prep.)
试试大小 test size; try sth to find out whether it fits one
try for sth
He thought of trying for a position in a research institute.
He'll be trying for the 3000 metre title at the coming school track-and-field meet.
With a school record like yours I'm puzzled why you didn't try for a university scholarship.
我不明白你有这样的学习成绩为什么不申请大学奖学金。try it for size
This is a sixty. Try it for size.
I'm sure this coat will suit you,Madam, why don't you try it for size?
- try on (v.+adv.)
耍花招,哄骗attempt to deceive
- try out (v.+adv.)
选拔test sb for a place on a team or in a group
try sb/sth ⇔ out
The director is trying out some actors for the new play.
We won't be able to tell what skills the man has until we try him out.
The government is trying out various new types of computers.
Before I purchase that car,I'd like to try it out.
We won't know if the plan is good till we have tried it out.
This new engine must be thoroughly tried out before being put on the market.
I should not like to express an opinion on the plan until it has been tried out.
The idea seems good, but it needs to be tried out.
这想法似乎很好,但要经过彻底试验。try out for sth
They tried out for the football team.
Are you going to try out for the volleyball team?
- try again 再试试
- try elsewhere 到别处试试
- try hard 极力
- try many times 试过多次
- try arduously 艰苦地尝试
- try brutally 严峻地尝试
- try charitably 慷慨地尝试
- try conscientiously 诚心诚意地尝试
- try continuously 不停地审理
- try covertly 秘密地审讯
- try creditably 值得称赞地尝试
- try curiously 不寻常地审理
- try daringly 大胆地尝试
- try deliberately 故意尝试
- try desperately (因绝望而)不顾一切地尝试
- try despicably 可鄙地尝试
- try disastrously 灾难性地尝试
- try elaborately 艰难地尝试
- try energetically 精力旺盛地尝试
- try exorbitantly 极其过分地尝试
- try faithfully 忠诚地尝试
- try feebly 愚蠢地尝试
- try forcibly 用暴力方式进行地尝试
- try fruitlessly 无结果地尝试
- try futilely 无效地尝试
- try grotesquely 可笑地尝试
- try heroically 英勇地尝试
- try hurriedly 匆匆地审理
- try ignobly 不光彩地尝试
- try impiously 不恭地尝试
- try inadvertently 非故意地尝试
- try ineffectually 效果不佳地尝试
- try ineptly 不恰当地尝试
- try ingeniously 巧妙地尝试
- try insistently 坚持尝试
- try involuntarily 不由自主地尝试
- try laboriously 努力地尝试
- try laudably 值得赞美地尝试
- try manfully 果断地尝试
- try memorably 值得回忆地尝试
- try murderously 谋杀性地尝试
- try obstinately 固执地尝试
- try obviously 明显地尝试
- try outrageously 猖狂地尝试
- try pretentiously 狂妄地尝试
- try professionally 专业化地审理
- try reasonably 合理地尝试
- try recklessly 轻率地审讯
- try ridiculously 荒唐可笑地审讯
- try satirically 讽刺性地审讯
- try savagely 野蛮地审讯
- try sincerely 真实地尝试
- try spectacularly 引人入胜地尝试
- try steadily 踏踏实实地审理
- try strenuously 艰难地尝试
- try superhumanly 超出常人能力地尝试
- try vainly 徒劳地尝试
- try variously 不同地尝试
- try on 试穿
- try out 试用
Even that was a lot to expect but it was worth a try.出自： W. Golding
A bad driver failing to back into a parking spacesten tries and no luck.出自： S. Bellow
A crisis..convinced me to give psychoanalysis a try.出自： B. Bettelheim
A murder case which was being tried.出自： W. March
- try and to/- v 与try to- v 意思基本相同,但try and to/- v 比try to- v 更带有迫切的意味,常用于口语,而try to- v 多用于书面语。try and to/- v 只能用于现在时、将来时、祈使句、过去时一般疑问句。
- try to-v, try v-ing
- try to climb the mountain
- try climbing the mountain
- try, attempt, endeavour
- 这组词都有“尝试”或“设法 ”的意思。它们之间的区别是：
- We attempted a race.我们试图进行一次比赛。
- It would be a waste of time to attempt the impossible.试图做办不到的事是浪费时间。
- The UN is endeavouring to establish peace.联合国正在为世界和平而努力。
- Galieo endeavoured to prove that the earth rotates around the sun.伽利略尽力证明地球是绕着太阳转的。
- I don't think I can do it, but I'll try.我认为我做不来那个,但我愿试一试。
- If you can't do it the first time, try again.要是你第一次做不成,就再试一下。
- Who is going to try the case?谁将审理此案件?
- try to-v, manage to-v
- manage to- v 指设法做成〔完成〕某事,含有成功之义; try to- v 指争取做成某事,但不一定成功。例如:
- He managed to get the work done with very little help.在没有多少帮助的情况下,他把工作完成了。
- He tried to get the work done with very little help.他争取在没有多少帮助的情况下完成工作。
- try at, try for
- 这两个短语的意思不同：try at的意思是“尝试”; 而try for的意思是“谋求,争取”。
误 It is a mistake to try and force compliance with a regulation that is so unpopular.
正 It is a mistake to try to force compliance with a regulation that is so unpopular.
析 try and force常用于口语,听起来比较随便,不够庄重; 而try to force是比较正式的。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的trier；最初源自古法语的trier，意为挑出，选出。