- vt. 表现；表示；描绘；代表；象征；说明；阐明
- vi. 提出异议
- vt. 代表 act or speak officially for (another person or group of people); be present as an example of (that group)
- vt. 表示,描绘 be a picture or statue of; depict; be a sign of
- vt. 声称 describe or declare, perhaps falsely
take the place of or be parallel or equivalent to;
"Because of the sound changes in the course of history, an 'h' in Greek stands for an 's' in Latin"
express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol;
"What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?"
be representative or typical for;
"This period is represented by Beethoven"
be a delegate or spokesperson for; represent somebody's interest or be a proxy or substitute for, as of politicians and office holders representing their constituents, or of a tenant representing other tenants in a housing dispute;
"I represent the silent majority"
serve as a means of expressing something;
"The flower represents a young girl"
be characteristic of;
"This compositional style is exemplified by this fugue"
form or compose;
"This money is my only income"
"The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance"
"These constitute my entire belonging"
"The children made up the chorus"
"This sum represents my entire income for a year"
"These few men comprise his entire army"
be the defense counsel for someone in a trial;
"Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
create an image or likeness of;
"The painter represented his wife as a young girl"
play a role or part;
"Gielgud played Hamlet"
"She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"
"She played the servant to her husband's master"
perform (a play), especially on a stage;
"we are going to stage `Othello'"
describe or present, usually with respect to a particular quality;
"He represented this book as an example of the Russian 19th century novel"
point out or draw attention to in protest or remonstrance;
"our parents represented to us the need for more caution"
bring forward and present to the mind;
"We presented the arguments to him"
"We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
- Monsters in dreams often represent fears.
- Both represent the triumph of passion over reason.
- Dotted arrows represent flow of information.
- You must represent your complaints to Head Office.
- The carvings represent a hunting scene.
- These pictures represent Japanese landscapes at all seasons of the year.
- The red lines on the map represent railways.
- They represent each society stratum.
- Noodles should be uncut, as they represent long life.
- These beautiful green stones represent love and success.
- Let me represent my ideas to you in another way.
- I will represent to him the risks he is running.
- He will represent his school at the meeting.
- Let me try to represent my ideas to you in another way.
- The painting represents the scene of a bumper harvest.
- He represented Napoleon in the school play.
- Each child will represent an animal at the party.
- All these artists are well represented at the exhibition.
- How many countries are represented at the meeting?
- Our firm is represented in India and Pakistan by Mr. Hall.
- He represented that he had fought in the Huai Hai Campaign.
- The pilots respectfully represented that they were not at all tired.
- I'll represent to him the risk he is running.
- I can only represent it to you by metaphors.
- He represented himself as an expert.
- He represented himself as a friend to the workers, but now we know the truth.
- He represented himself to be the Son of God.
- I am not what they had represented me to be.
- They were represented as true patriots in the film.
- represent an animal 扮演一个动物
- represent one's ideas 表述意见
- represent many countries 代表许多国家
- represent Napoleon 扮演拿破仑
- represent the scene of a bumper harvest 描绘了丰收的景象
- represent one's school 代表学校
- represent the unknown 表示未知数
- represent accurately 准确地表达
- represent aesthetically 审美地描绘
- represent appropriately 适当地描绘
- represent briefly 简短地描绘
- represent clearly 清楚地描绘
- represent conventionally 按常规代表
- represent deftly 熟练地描绘
- represent exactly〔precisely〕 确切地描绘
- represent faithfully 忠诚地代表
- represent graphically 形象地描绘
- represent inadequately 表达得不充分
- represent magnificently 壮丽地代表
- represent materially 实质代表
- represent minutely 仔细地描绘
- represent officially 正式代表
- represent orally 口头代表
- represent personally 亲自代表
- represent powerfully 有力地描绘
- represent realistically 用写实手法描绘
- represent roughly 粗略地描绘
- represent speciously 特别地描绘
I have..represented to my..brother the necessity of sending my sons to school.出自： Lytton
He represented me at the meeting.
He delegated me to the meeting.
He represented her to be an actress.
- present sb with sth指“将某物赠送某人”。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的representer；最初源自拉丁语的reprsentare：re (强调） + prsentare (呈现，表达），意为表达，说明。
- symbolize 象征
- characterize 表示 ... 的典型...
- signify 表示
- stand for 代表
- exemplify 例证
- act for 代理
- speak for 替 ... 讲话
- correspond to 相应于
- denote 表示
- embody 使具体化
- epitomize 摘要
- describe 描述
- display 显示
- present 礼物
- show 证明
- reveal 显示
- demonstrate 证明
- express 快车
- illustrate 说明
- portray 描写
- disclose 揭露
- depict 描述
- exhibit 展览
- manifest 显示
- picture 照片
- enact 制定法律
- paint 油漆
- specify 详细说明
- play 玩
- stand 站立
- for 为
- interpret 口译
- correspond 符合
- symbolise 象征
- map 地图
- constitute 构成
- be 有
- lay out 设计
- stage 舞台
- indicate 指示
- imply 暗示
- make up 弥补
- sketch 速写
- typify 作为某人或某物的典型...
- act 行为
- defend 防守
- suggest 建议
- comprise 构成
- mean 意思是