- vt. & vi. 做; 制造; 被制造 produce by work or action
- vt. 作出,制定,产生 produce; judge; determine
- vt. 使得 put into a certain state, position, etc.
- vt. 获得,挣得 earn money, etc.
- vt. 总计,等于 add up to; equal
- vt. 成为,使成为 turn into
- vt. 到达 arrive; get to
- vt. 准备,整理 prepare; put in order; arrange
- vt. 认为,估计 think; consider
- vi. 开始,试图 begin; start; attempt
- vi. 行进,趋向 tend to; incline to
- vi. 增长起来 increase; rise; grow
- [C]制造的方法,样式 the way in which a thing is made; method or style of manufacture
- [C]体格,品质 quality of personality
a recognizable kind;
"there's a new brand of hero in the movies now"
"what make of car is that?"
the act of mixing cards haphazardly
"make love, not war"
"make an effort"
give certain properties to something;
"get someone mad"
"She made us look silly"
"He made a fool of himself at the meeting"
"Don't make this into a big deal"
"This invention will make you a millionaire"
"Make yourself clear"
make or cause to be or to become;
"make a mess in one's office"
"create a furor"
cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner;
"The ads induced me to buy a VCR"
"My children finally got me to buy a computer"
"My wife made me buy a new sofa"
give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally;
"cause a commotion"
"make a stir"
"cause an accident"
create or manufacture a man-made product;
"We produce more cars than we can sell"
"The company has been making toys for two centuries"
make, formulate, or derive in the mind;
"I draw a line here"
"draw a conclusion"
"make an estimate"
"What do you make of his remarks?"
compel or make somebody or something to act in a certain way;
"People cannot be made to integrate just by passing a law!"
"Heat makes you sweat"
create by artistic means;
"create a poem"
"Schoenberg created twelve-tone music"
"Picasso created Cubism"
"Auden made verses"
earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages;
"How much do you make a month in your new job?"
"She earns a lot in her new job"
"this merger brought in lots of money"
"He clears $5,000 each month"
create or design, often in a certain way;
"Do my room in blue"
"I did this piece in wood to express my love for the forest"
to compose or represent:
"This wall forms the background of the stage setting"
"The branches made a roof"
"This makes a fine introduction"
reach a goal, e.g.,
"make the first team"
"We made it!"
"She may not make the grade"
be or be capable of being changed or made into;
"He makes a great host"
"He will make a fine father"
make by shaping or bringing together constituents;
"make a dress"
"make a cake"
"make a wall of stones"
perform or carry out;
"make a decision"
"make a move"
"make a phone call"
make by combining materials and parts;
"this little pig made his house out of straw"
"Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
change from one form into another;
"make water into wine"
"make lead into gold"
"make clay into bricks"
act in a certain way so as to acquire;
charge with a function; charge to be;
"She was named Head of the Committee"
"She was made president of the club"
achieve a point or goal;
"Nicklaus had a 70"
"The Brazilian team got 4 goals"
"She made 29 points that day"
reach a destination, either real or abstract;
"We hit Detroit by noon"
"The water reached the doorstep"
"We barely made it to the finish line"
"I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
institute, enact, or establish;
carry out or commit;
"make a mistake"
"commit a faux-pas"
form by assembling individuals or constituents;
"Make a quorum"
organize or be responsible for;
"hold a reception"
"have, throw, or make a party"
"give a course"
put in order or neaten;
"make the bed"
"make up a room"
head into a specified direction;
"The escaped convict took to the hills"
"We made for the mountains"
have a bowel movement;
"The dog had made in the flower beds"
undergo fabrication or creation;
"This wool makes into a nice sweater"
be suitable for;
"Wood makes good furniture"
add up to;
"four and four make eight"
"This salary increase makes no difference to my standard of living"
constitute the essence of;
"Clothes make the man"
appear to begin an activity;
"He made to speak but said nothing in the end"
"She made as if to say hello to us"
proceed along a path;
"work one's way through the crowd"
"make one's way into the forest"
reach in time;
"We barely made the plane"
gather and light the materials for;
"make a fire"
prepare for eating by applying heat;
"Cook me dinner, please"
"can you make me an omelette?"
"fix breakfast for the guests, please"
induce to have sex;
"Harry finally seduced Sally"
"Did you score last night?"
"Harry made Sally"
assure the success of;
"A good review by this critic will make your play!"
represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like;
"She makes like an actress"
consider as being;
"It wasn't the problem some people made it"
calculate as being;
"I make the height about 100 feet"
cause to be enjoyable or pleasurable;
"make my day"
favor the development of;
"Practice makes the winner"
"He will make a splendid father!"
behave in a certain way;
"Again, the cat had made on the expensive rug"
- If I had the time, I 'd make something better.
- In the old China, we can't even make a nail, let alone machines.
- Her jokes made us all laugh.
- If you take my advice, you will make a lot of money.
- He's got a strong will and he'll make it.
- She would have made an excellent teacher.
- Finally,I've got to find out what make of man he was.
- I don't like the make of her coat.
- She bought a dinner set of Chinese make.
- The annual make of the automobile factory is 200 thousand.
- The thief made towards the open window.
- The ship was making towards the pier.
- The road makes through the wood.
- Everything makes it in favour of us.
- Boots are being made in this tannery.
- It is easily made.
- She made to cry.
- He made to go.
- He made to stand up, but sat down again.
- He made as if to strike me.
- We must make certain that the sentence is correct.
- I made certain that I would get the job, but it was given to someone else.
- Make certain that this is the right road.
- Make certain that both doors are locked when you go out.
- No one should make free to open a letter addressed to another.
- You can make free with my camera any time.
- The girls don't like Smith because he makes free with them.
- He has talent and he'll make good.
- John's made good, he's got a high position in the company now.
- I think the meeting will begin at eight, but you'd better go and make sure.
- Have you made sure whether he will come?
- Before he left the room, he made sure that all the lights were turned off.
- I made sure he would help me, but I am disappointed.
- To make sure that the letter was delivered to the addresses,I registered it.
- He made as if he had not seen me.
- He made as if he hadn't heard.
- Now they can make all kinds of precision machine tools.
- We make many beautiful things of glass.
- This factory makes paper.
- I'm just going to make lunch.
- Birds make their nests in spring.
- The sick boy swallowed the medicine and made a face.
- The girl made a face at the taste of the medicine.
- The twins made faces at each other.
- Mary's new dress made a hit at the party.
- This song has made quite a hit with young people.
- The girl felt very happy that her boyfriend made quite a hit with her parents.
- What he saw in Egypt made a strong impression on him.
- The sentence makes no sense at all.
- The arrival of the symphony orchestra made the headlines.
- He will never make so great a scholar as his father.
- The hall would make a good theatre.
- He made 600 pounds last year.
- It may not be the most elegant job, but you'll make money at it.
- He is making money fast with his new invention.
- Most businesses are run in order to make money.
- The businessman tried to make money, but eventually went bankrupt.
- His one ambition in life was to make money.
- She hoped that they would make friends.
- The man is so genial; he makes friends wherever he goes.
- You'll find that we all want to make friends with you.
- Make haste, or we shall miss the train.
- It's getting late, so let's make haste.
- Mary saw that she had hurt Jane's feelings, and made haste to say she was sorry.
- Can we make the train?
- She'll never make the summit.
- After work they made a hearty meal in the worker's canteen.
- They made a hasty breakfast and hurried to the worksite.
- This is the first point I want to make.
- We won't be able to get the work done on schedule if we don't make a move right away .
- She made no answer.
- Well, she has made a good choice.
- The astronomer made many contributions in the field of solar research.
- I think that I made a wrong decision.
- He asked us to be quiet and then made a startling announcement.
- They made a deep study of the works.
- Let's make a general survey of the current situation.
- They made great efforts to improve their work.
- Once a decision is made, we must carry it out.
- I have no desire for money that has been made by dishonest means.
- Mother made Mary a new dress.
- I made him a shirt.
- I wish to make him a present.
- Can you make me a birthday cake by Friday?
- He will make you a good interpreter.
- I made myself a cup of coffee.
- This length of cloth will make me a suit.
- He'll make a kite for me.
- I make tea for all of us.
- I made a coat for him.
- Mother made a beautiful skirt for my little sister.
- In drawing up a budget, we should make allowances for unforeseen contingencies.
- Can you make room for another guest at the dinner table?
- Portugal made the islands its colony at the end of the 15th century.15
- They made him chairman of the trade union .
- She set up a company and made him managing director.
- He made her his wife.
- His scientific pursuits had made him a very observant man.
- That makes me mad!
- She made him happy.
- Praise makes good men better and bad men worse.
- Don't make yourself ridiculous!
- Have you made everything clear enough?
- He made his meaning clear.
- Exchange of unequal values makes the poor countries poorer.
- We mustn't allow these successes to make us dizzy.
- Washing machines make house-work easier.
- Can you make yourself understood in English?
- I couldn't make myself heard on account of the noise.
- Hunger began to make itself felt.
- The want made itself felt.
- He could not make his voice heard.
- The scents made her drunk.
- What made them so frightened?
- All this made him interested in the history of philosophy.
- He looked at the moon and made the time to be midnight.
- What do you make the time?
- I make the distance across the river 150 metres.
- He made the height 20 feet.
- He made good his words and returned the book on time.
- Joe made good his boast to swim across the lake.
- The boys made good the damage they had done.
- You must make good the time that you have wasted this afternoon.
- They made good the time lost through the rain.
- The pitch-dark night made good his escape from the cell.
- This speed makes the machine of high economic value.
- Winter wheat has made it at home on the Tibetan highlands.
- Newton was made President of the Royal Society.
- The hall was made clean and tidy.
- Barren hills have been made green.
- They tried to make every cent do the work of two.
- We must make him work harder.
- The boss made Tom work long hours.
- His appearance made me laugh.
- His cheerful joke made us forget our weariness.
- What makes the grass grow?
- But this did not make them waver or retreat.
- I can't make the TV work.
- The sight of the dead man made his hair stand on end.
- The children must be made to clean their own room.
- He was made to wait for over an hour.
- We were made to work all night.
- Is this your own make, made by you?
- This is of Chinese make.
- This is of home make.
- This machine is of Japanese make, but machines like this are mostly made in China now.
- The make of this coat is not to my mind.
- What make would you recommend?
- This new factory has turned out boilers of various makes.
- She can spot the make of the typewriter a secretary is using.
- John is a man of this make.
- He has the make of an athlete.
- make after (v.+prep.)
追逐 chase; pursue
make after sb/sth
She made after him like a mad woman.
The hunter made after the game at top speed.
Our fighter planes were making after the enemy bombers.
- make at (v.+prep.)
攻击 attack; move towards sb as if to attack
make at sb
The stranger gave a shout and then made at me.
The angry woman made at me with her umbrella.
The two boys made at each other with stones and both ended up with bad bruises.
When their bullets ran out, they made at the enemy with bayonets.
- make away (v.+adv.)
逃跑 run away; escape
The policeman stopped the thief who was trying to make away.
The mouse made away at the slightest sound.
- make away with (v.+adv.+prep.)
消耗光 consume completely
- make do (v.+v.)
将就使用,凑合着用 use a poor substitute when you do not have the right thing
This hotel isn't what we wanted, but we must make do.
这家旅馆不是我们想住的地方,但我们得将就一下。make sth do
Can't you make that shirt do for another day?
那件衬衫你再凑合着穿一天不行吗?make do with sth
She will make do with the old typewriter until the new one arrives.
There's no meat in the house, so we'll just have to make do with potatoes.
We were late for supper and had to make do with a few cold buns.
- make down (v.+adv.)
改小 make (clothes) smaller as to fit sb
make sth ⇔ down
Can you make the dress down for her young sister?
- make for (v.+prep.)
有利于,致使 result in; ensure; help cause sth to happen or develop
- make from (v.+prep.)
由…制成 manufacture with sth
make sth from sth
Mother can make a wonderful meal from bits of food left over from the day before.
The natives make excellent boats from the tree trunks.
Nylon is made from air, coal and water.
The wine is made from grapes.
Butter is made from milk.
Bread is made from flour, and flour from wheat.
- make into (v.+prep.)
把…转变为,使成为 change into
make sth into sth
She made the material into a dress.
He will make this skin into leather.
We can make glass into bottles.
Waste products from factories can be made into road-building material.
工厂的废料可以制成筑路的材料。make sb/sth into sb/sth
Working in the kitchen made the boy into a good cook.
They made the story into a play.
A hundred acres of land was made into a peach and pear orchard.100
- make it
约定时间 appoint time
- make it up
和好 become reconciled
- make of (v.+prep.)
使某人发展成为 cause sb to develop into
make sth of sth
The children like making houses of sticks and clay.
The fence is made of iron.
The bridge is made of steel.
Some roads are made of gravel.
有些路是用砾石铺成的。make sth of sth
“Could you make anything of what he was saying?”“No,I could make nothing of it.”
“你明白他在说什么吗?”“不,我不明白。”make sb of sb
His father wanted to make a doctor of him.
- make off (v.+adv.)
匆匆逃掉 escape in a hurry
Before the policeman arrived, the murderer had already made off.
I wanted to ask him a question, but he made off.
When the deer saw the hunter, it made off at once.
- make off with (v.+adv.+prep.)
偷,花费 steal; spend
make off with sth
He made off with all the old man's savings.
The cashier made off with all the money in the safe.
Within a few years he had made off with the money that his father left him.
It is true he had a considerable sum under his uncle's will, but it has probably been made off with by this time.
- make out (v.+adv.)
make sth ⇔ out
Please make out a bill for these goods.
After he paid, the cashier made out a receipt for him.
The cheque was made out for sixty pounds.
开了一张60英镑的支票。make sth ⇔ out
Can you make out the signature at the foot of this letter?
Looking through the mist,I could make out the figure of a woman standing under the street lamp.
They could just make out the spire of the church in the distance.
It was so foggy that the driver could hardly make out the way ahead.
The signature could not be made out.
With the aid of a telescope a shape that might have been the wrecked ship could just be made out on the horizon.
借助于望远镜,在地平线上依稀可辨的可能是一只遇难的船只的影子。make out wh-clause
I cannot make out whether this figure is a three or an eight .
They could hardly make out where the road was in the darkness.
黑暗中他们难以辨认出路在哪里。make sb/sth ⇔ out
She was a strange sort of person; I couldn't make her out.
The poem is so complicated that I cannot make out its meaning.
这首诗太复杂,我理解不了它的意思。make out wh-clause
I'm sorry I can't quite make out what you mean.
No one can make out how the fire started.
没人能找出起火的原因。make out (that-clause)
They aren't as rich as they made out.
You can't make out that we haven't tried to help you.
It was made out by his counsel that he was quite unaware that the money had been stolen.
据他的律师宣称：钱被偷去他完全不知道。make out that-clause
He made out that he had forgotten all about it.
- make out of (v.+adv.+prep.)
用某物制造出 produce sth from (a material or existing object)
make sth out of sth
The boy made a boat out of wood.
He made a great fortune out of oil.
He made a mountain out of a molehill.
What do you make out of their statement?
The evening dress is made out of pure silk.
- make over (v.+adv.)
修改,改造 make sth look different; change the style of
make sth ⇔ over
He has made over his property to a hospital.
In his will,Ade made over the bulk of his property to his eldest son.
The property was made over to the son before his father died.
父亲去世之前,其财产转让给了儿子。make sb/sth ⇔ over
He asked the tailor to make over his trousers.
He has been made over into a new man.
- make up (v.+adv.)
组成,构成 compose or be part of
make sth ⇔ up
John has made up a small song.
The teacher asked the children to make up a poem about Christmas.
He is very quick at making up excuses.
He made up a story without any foundation.
They finally decided to stop quarrelling and make up.
他们最后决定停止争吵,握手言和。make sth ⇔ up
The quarrel was only about a trivial matter, but it was years before they made it up.
争吵只是为了一件小事,但是过了多年他们才言归于好。make sth ⇔ up
Somehow the company has got to make up all the time we've lost through illness.
Vitamin pills make up what you lack in your diet.
维生素丸可补充你食物中所缺的营养。make sth ⇔ up
The toy cost a dollar and Ted only had fifty cents, so father made up the rest.
She had to make up her income as a pianist by teaching piano students.
Clowns always make up before a circus show.
At one time it was not considered good taste for women to make up.
有一段时期认为妇女打扮并不风雅。make sb ⇔ up
When she goes out to visit friends, she is very much made up.
It may take quite a long time before an actor is properly made up for a part.
一个演员妥帖地化装成一个角色需要很长的时间。make sth ⇔ up
The chemist is still making up the doctor's order, and says it will be ready in half an hour.
药剂师还在为医生配方,他说过半个钟头药就配好了。make sth ⇔ up
Leave this notice hanging on your door, asking the servant to make up your room.
留张便条挂在你房门上,请服务员把你的房间整理一下。make sb/sth ⇔ up (of sb/sth)
How many countries make up the Common Market?
Society is made up of people with widely differing abilities.
This is made up of three different parts.
Are all animal bodies made up of cells?
- make up for (v.+adv.+prep.)
补偿,弥补 compensate for
make up for sth
He tried to make up for all the trouble he had caused.
We must work hard now to make up for lost time.
I worked last Saturday, so I have today off, to make up for it.
How can we make up to you for what you've suffered?
- make a beast 行动如傻瓜
- make a bed 铺床,整理卧具
- make a big hit with sb 给某人很好的印象
- make a big row 大吵一场
- make a calculation 计算
- make a change 改变
- make a circuit 接通电路
- make a classic boner 犯大错
- make a clean breast of 坦承,自由
- make a collection 募捐
- make a cousin of 诈骗,愚弄
- make a date 定期约会,择日
- make a deduction 推论,推断
- make a difference (to) 有关系,重要
- make a face 做鬼脸
- make a feast 设宴款客
- make a fence 击剑姿势
- make a fend 冒险
- make a fire 生火
- make a fortune 致富,发财
- make a fuss 大惊小怪,小题大做
- make a good wife 成为好妻子
- make a hand 得利,获益
- make a hit 受欢迎
- make a killing 获暴利
- make a match 使订婚,使结婚
- make a mistake 失误
- make a play 想取得
- make a point of 强调…重要
- make a price 开价,定价
- make a purse 为他人募捐〔筹款〕
- make a scene 大闹一场
- make a shave 幸免
- make a sketch 绘制草图
- make a stand 立定,停止
- make a start 开始
- make a strike 成就,成功
- make a train 赶火车
- make a will 立遗嘱
- make account 料想,判断
- make advances 预付,提议
- make allowance 考虑到,酌情
- make an ado 慌乱,骚扰
- make an ambush 设伏兵,埋伏
- make an appearance 出现,到场
- make an appointment 约定,安排会谈时间
- make an ass 行动如傻瓜
- make an attempt on 想,结果,欲夺取
- make an error 出差错
- make an experiment 做实验
- make an impressing 留下痕迹,给…留下印象
- make an impression 有影响
- make black white and white black 颠倒黑白
- make a break 急跑
- make a button 有忧容,露惊惧之色
- make camp 扎营,搭帐篷
- make cheer 愉快,快乐,欢迎
- make a coat 做一件上衣
- make coffee 煮咖啡
- make common 宣布,行刑
- make a conversation 交谈,聊天
- make count 计算,依赖
- make danger 尝试实验
- make drink 准备饮料
- make earth 接地线,接地
- make expiation 偿,赎
- make fashion 假装,粉饰
- make fish 晒鱼,腌鱼
- make friends 交友
- make good one's loss 赔偿损失
- make good one's promise 实现诺言
- make headway 前进
- make a journey 进行旅行
- make laws 制定法律
- make love 求爱
- make a meal 准备饭菜
- make measurements 测量
- make merry 作乐
- make metals 熔炼金属
- make money 赚钱
- make outline 写提纲
- make pace 增加速度
- make place 让开,留余地
- make power 发电,产生动力
- make progress 前进,进步
- make reading 取读数
- make a report 报告,通知
- make reprisal 报复,报仇
- make riddance 排除障碍物,扫除阻碍
- make room 让道,留余地,开一条路
- make sb's blood boil 使…大怒
- make sb's blood creep 使人惊悸,令人恐怖
- make sb's blood run cold 使人毛骨悚然
- make sb's blow 走下戏台
- make sb's a lucky 〈俚〉逃离,逃走
- make sb's market 销售货物
- make sb's mouth water 令人垂涎
- make sb's nose sell 使人生妒心
- make sb's pile 获利,致富
- make sb scarce 〈俚〉逃走,离去
- make sb's way 挤着向前走,谋生
- make scruple 踌躇,犹豫
- make sense 有意义,讲得通,合情合理
- make a sentence 造句子
- make sheep's eyes 送秋波,眉目传情
- make a song 作一首歌
- make steel 炼钢
- make a summary 写内容提要
- make tea 沏茶
- make the grade 达到标准
- make time 赶紧
- make tracks 赶快,从速
- make a trip 进行旅行
- make use of 利用
- make a visit 进行访问
- make war 开战
- make water 小便
- make waves 弄得乌烟瘴气,运用个人影响力
- make weight 补足重量,无足轻重的人物,添加物
- make acquainted with 使熟悉,告知关于
- make certain 弄清楚
- make dead 切断
- make fair 大有可能,有…之势
- make good 实现,使成为事实,赔偿
- make known 宣布,公布
- make shift 权宜之计
- make short of work 迅速结束,草草做完
- make sure 把…弄确实
- make true 调整,使准
- make unready 脱衣,卸马具
- make home 回家
- make advisedly 行成于思
- make delicately 制作精美
- make easily 轻松做
- make eventually 终于获得
- make handsomely 慷慨地签订
- make immediately 立即作出
- make inadvertently 写作漫不经心
- make indiscriminately 任意前进
- make inevitably 必然成功
- make irrevocably 不可改变地作出
- make laboriously 写作不流畅
- make lawfully 合法制造
- make obviously 显然能成功
- make persistently 持久进行
- make powerfully 作品很有影响
- make scientifically 科学著作
- make subsequently 后来获利
- make superbly 可超越前进
- make temporarily 暂且认为
- make ultimately 最后成功
- make unquestionably 成功不成问题,作品无可非议
- make unwittingly 不知不觉地到达,无意中进行
- make away 急忙走掉〔逃走〕
- make away with 销毁(罪证),杀死,携…而逃,吃掉,浪费掉,毁掉
- make off 溜掉,跑掉,逃去
- make off with 持…而逃
- make on 急进
- make out 看见,了解,听清楚
- make over 移交,转让,改造,改制或翻新(衣服等)
- make up 化装,涂脂,抹粉,和好
- make up a list of 列出…的清单
- make up for 弥补,补偿,化装,扮演
- make up one's mind 下决心
- make up to 接近,巴结,奉承,向(女子)求爱
- make after 追求,追赶
- make against 与…相反,不利于,有害于
- make as 装作…的模样
- make at 袭击
- make for 走向,向…前进,有利〔助〕于,倾向于,袭击,冲向
- make for the door 朝门走去
- make way for 为…开路
- make of 获得结论,推论
- make a fool of 愚弄
- make a go of 做成功
- make hay of 把…弄得紊乱不堪
- make light of 轻视,蔑视,对…估计不足
- make little of 不重视,不理会,不费力
- make a man of sb 使某人成人
- make a night of 彻夜…
- make an exhibition of oneself 丢脸,出丑,闹笑话
- make out of 用…制造出,从…出来,理解,了解
- all make 各式各样的
- different make 不同牌号的
- domestic make 国产的
- first-class make 第一流货色
- new make 新式样
- smooth make 性情平和
- special make 特制的式样
- specific make 特制的式样
- standard make 标准体格
- various make 各种式样
Look at his delicate hands and slight make.出自： H. Martineau
He was crowned by a helmet of French make.出自： J. Cary
A stone which is near the ideal is said to be of good make or fine make.出自： E. Bruton
They confine their purchases to one make of car or commercial vehicle.出自：Motor Sport
God that made the world and alle thingis that ben in it.出自： R. Pecock
As birds sometimes are seen to make their nests.出自： Goldsmith
The patent plan of Mr William Onions of making cast steel.出自： A. Ure
The factory made many things beside rope mats.出自： P. Mortimer
- make还可接由名词、形容词、动词不定式、过去分词或介词短语充当补足语的复合宾语。当名词作宾语补足语时,通常含有“把某种优良品质或地位等赋予对方或自身”的意思,宾语补足语一般含褒义; 当形容词作宾语补足语时,形容词有时可以提至宾语之前; 当动词不定式作宾语补足语时,一般不带to,但在被动结构中to不可省去,在某些谚语中make后的动词不定式是可以带to的; 某些表示“感觉,认识”的动词如understand, know, feel等作宾语补足语时常用过去分词,宾语用反身代词; make后接的复合宾语中,常以it来代替较长的动词不定式短语或从句,即采用形式宾语结构,此时的意思是“使…成为…”“使得”“估计,认为,算出”等。
- make偶尔可以用作系动词,意思是“达到某种状态”,表语多为certain, free, light, sure, little, much等形容词或as if从句。
I made her cry.
She is made to repeat the whole story.
He made our shoes to last.
Money makes the mare to go.
I tried hard to make myself heard.
She made him a birthday cake。
You have made me a very happy man.
Paper is made from wood.
- make from, make of
- make from表示某物加工制成另外的物品时,已失去了其原始材料的原貌; make of指加工后仍可看出由何种原料制成的。例如:
- Cider is made from apples.苹果酒是用苹果酿的。
- I would rather make a house of stone.我宁愿用石头来盖房子。
- make, cause, get
- cause, make和get都具有“使役”意义。其区别是：
- 1.cause强调的是什么原因使某人做某事; make则具有强制的意味,即强迫某人做什么事; get是指以说服或命令之方式让某人做某事。
- 2.使用cause和get时,应当用cause〔get〕 sb to do sth 句型,而使用make时,应当用make sb do sth 句型。
- make, cook, fix, get, prepare
- cook只用于食品而不用于饮料; 其他几个词都可以用于饮料。make和get可以互换; 而prepare和fix则强调准备的过程。例如:
- She is cooking in the kitchen.她在厨房里做饭。
- Let me fix you a drink!我来为你倒杯饮料。
- He got〔made〕 himself a cup of coffee.他给自己冲了杯咖啡。
- You shouldn't have troubled yourself to prepare such a feast!你本不该准备这样丰盛的饭菜,这样太麻烦你了。
- make, do, manufacture, produce
- make是普通用语,可指任何物品的制作、制造、生产、加工; manufacture通常指较大规模、较大批量的生产、加工、制作; produce着重强调生产情况及产量,不强调生产过程及规模; 当做某事或进行某活动,又不知是什么具体内容时,用do来表示,当说到工作时,一般情况下用do。例如:
- This firm manufactures cars.这家公司制造汽车。
- They make over 250 cars a week.他们一星期制造250辆汽车。
- What are they doing?他们在做什么?
- I'm going to do my work.我将做我的工作。
- make, enable
- 2.enable要接带to的动词不定式作宾语补足语; 而make后的宾语用作补足语的动词不定式不带to。
- Flying enables us to travel fast.
- 坐飞机能使我们旅行快些。 (含有“能力”概念)
- The light woodwork makes the room more attractive.
- 这个细木雕刻使得屋子更加生辉了。 (没有“能力”概念)
- make, force
- 这两个词的共同意思是“迫使”。其区别在于:force所含“暴力威胁”的意味较强; make所含“暴力威胁”的意味较弱。另外, force若跟复合宾语,须接带to的动词不定式; make若跟复合宾语,须接不带to的动词不定式。例如:
- She can't force me to do it.
- She can't make me do it.
- make up one's mind, decide, determine, fix, resolve, settle
- 1.decide是普通用词,指经过讨论、思考消除分歧而对是非、优劣、取舍等问题“作出决定”; resolve强调信念的目的性; 而settle则强调最后的“决定”。例如:
- From that moment she resolved to trace the unknown element.从那时起,她决心找出这种未知的元素。
- He resolved that nothing should hold back.他决心不为任何阻碍所挫。
- The heavy rain might settle the changeable weather.这场大雨也许能使变幻不定的天气稳定下来。
- His advice determined me against further delay.他的劝告使我决定不再拖延。
- He is determined to break away all the bad habits.他决心改掉所有坏习惯。
- An X-ray determined that no bones were broken.经X光测定,没有发生骨折。
- Once the aim is fixed, we should not change it arbitrarily.目标一经确定,我们就不要随意改变。
- 4.make up one's mind指下决心做某事,不再改变。例如:
- Have you made up your mind about it?关于这件事,你拿定主意了没有?
- They have made up their minds to set off tomorrow afternoon.他们决定明天下午动身。
- He made as if to speak but stopped im- mediately.
- He made to speak but she stopped him.
- Three and two make five.
- Three and two makes five.
- We made him a hero.
- We made a hero out of him.
- We made him into a hero.
- She'll make a good wife.
- She'll make him a good wife.
- She'll make him a good husband.
- She'll make him a good husband because she made him a good wife.
- 因为她是他的好妻子,也使他成为一 个好丈夫。
- make, brand
- make通常指使用期较长的物质; brand常指使用期较短的易消耗的物质。例如:
- This is a brand of soap.这是一块容易消耗的香皂。
- make, mark
- In this shop everything has a make.这家商店所有的商品都有商标。
- When it comes to watches,I wouldn't buy any other make.谈到手表,我不会买任何其他牌子。
- We sell all makes of cars.
- We sell all makes of car.
误 She was made repeat the whole story.
正 She was made to repeat the whole story.
误 He didn't make himself understand.
正 He didn't make himself understood.
误 He made clear that he would not accept our invitation.
正 He made it clear that he would not accept our invitation.
误 I'll make some fresh tea to you.
正 I'll make you some fresh tea.
正 I'll make some fresh tea for you.
析 make 作“准备”“制造”解时,可以跟make sb sth 结构或make sth for sb 结构,其中的for不能换作to。我要尽力成为一个称职的英语教师。
误 I will do my best to make myself become a competent teacher of English.
正 I will do my best to make myself a competent teacher of English.
误 The desk is made from wood.
正 The desk is made of wood.
析 从成品中能看出原材料(物理变化)时,用make of,而不用make from。他去火车站是为了搞清开往北京的列车时间。
误 He went to the station to make surely the time of the train for Beijing.
正 He went to the station to make sure of the time of the train for Beijing.
析 make sure of是习语,意为“一定要”“核实”。我们决定不了下一步该干什么。
误 We couldn't make up our mind what to do next.
正 We couldn't make up our minds what to do next.
析 make up one's mind意为“下决心”,当one's是复数概念,如our, their时,就应用minds; 当one's是单数概念,如my, his, her时,使用mind。在这个地区,今年自然灾害所造成的损失比去年大。
误 Natural disasters in this area made greater damage this year than last year.
正 Natural disasters in this area caused greater damage this year than last year.
析 damage不能与make连用,而应用cause, inflict, do等动词与之搭配。让我们充分利用时间。
误 Let us make the most of our time as much as possible.
正 Let us make the most of our time.
析 make the most of 作“充分利用”解,本身已有as much as possible的意思,因此若再加上as much as possible就重复了。她高兴与他交朋友。
误 She will be glad to make friend with him.
正 She will be glad to make friends with him.
误 Modern science and technology have also made it possible the further development of industry and agriculture.
正 Modern science and technology have also made possible the further development of industry and agriculture.
析 在make...possible这一表示“使…成为可能”的句子结构中, make的宾语是一个名词词组。由于宾语较长,因此把它与宾语补足语(possible)的位置对换,以使句子保持平衡,这里不存在形式宾语it。浓雾使他能爬上山去而不被敌人发觉。
误 The fog made him can climb up the hill unnoticed by the enemy.
正 The fog enabled him to climb up the hill unnoticed by the enemy.
析 make的宾语后面不能接动词的限定形式,也不能接may, can等情态动词。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的macian；最初源自西日耳曼语的makojanan，意为形成，制作，准备。
- add up to
- arrive at
- develop into