- vt. & vi. 给…看,显示 let sb see sth
- vt. 为…带路 direct; guide
- vt. & vi. 上演,展出 offer or be offered as a performance, especially at a cinema
- vt. & vi. 表现出,显露出 appear; be seen
- vt. 说明,表明 prove; make clear
- [C] 表演,演出 a performance, especially in a theatre or on radio or television
- [C] 展览,展览物,展览会 a public showing; collection of things for the public to look at; exhibition
- [S] 显示,展示 a showing of some quality; display
- the act of publicly exhibiting or entertaining;
"a remarkable show of skill"
- something intended to communicate a particular impression;
"made a display of strength"
"a show of impatience"
"a good show of looking interested"
- a social event involving a public performance or entertainment;
"they wanted to see some of the shows on Broadway"
- pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression;
"they try to keep up appearances"
"that ceremony is just for show"
- give an exhibition of to an interested audience;
"She shows her dogs frequently"
"We will demo the new software in Washington"
- establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment;
"The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"
"The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
- provide evidence for;
"The blood test showed that he was the father"
"Her behavior testified to her incompetence"
- make visible or noticeable;
"She showed her talent for cooking"
"Show me your etchings, please"
- show in, or as in, a picture;
"This scene depicts country life"
"the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
- give expression to;
"She showed her disappointment"
- indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively;
"I showed the customer the glove section"
"He pointed to the empty parking space"
"he indicated his opponents"
- be or become visible or noticeable;
"His good upbringing really shows"
"The dirty side will show"
- indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments;
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"
"The gauge read `empty'"
- give evidence of, as of records;
"The diary shows his distress that evening"
- take (someone) to their seats, as in theaters or auditoriums;
"The usher showed us to our seats"
- finish third or better in a horse or dog race;
"he bet $2 on number six to show"
- The study shows an increase in the disease among the elderly.
- Her laziness showed in her exam results.
- Let's show a picture to our audience.
- She showed the technique to her students.
- Can you show me the right way to do this?
- His nod showed his approval of this plan.
- She show a high degree of skill in her work.
- The chairman showed displeasure at his remark.
- I'll send someone to show you around.
- The clock showed midnight.
- The new unearthed cultural relics were shown in the museum.
- The study shows an increase in the disease among the elderly.
- The movie is being shown now.
- I waited an hour but he didn't show.
- Diana is modeling for a fashion show.
- All the new products were on show at the exhibition.
- He clenched his fist to make a show of strength.
- His smile was just for show;he has a plot in his mind.
- She runs the whole show.
Where is the film showing?—It's on at the Red Star.
Does the mark of the wound still show?
The first signs of a split were beginning to show.
I waited for him for hours, but he didn't show.
Sadness showed in her face.
The sky began to show red in the early morning.
Tickets, please. Show your tickets.
What film are they showing this evening?
That frock shows your petticoat.
A dark suit will not show the dirt.
She showed her favor.
He showed great kindness.
He showed great courage.
He shows no sign of intelligence.
He showed his annoyance.
His annoyance showed itself in his look.
When the issue comes up for discussion, he will have to show his hand.
We have shown the falsity of the story.
If he should be so ill bred as to try to take liberties with her, she would show him.
I'll show the beast!
We were shown into the reading room.
The film will be shown in this theater.
Many of them showed that they did not understand the importance of this question.
Her eyes showed plainly that she felt what she was saying.
She showed that she was annoyed.
That shows how little you know.
People there will show which road you should take.
Show what you have in your bag.
She showed what he did wrong.
The teacher showed why he failed to pass the exam.
Please show where you lost your suitcase.
She showed me her pictures.
Show me your ticket.
They showed their enemies pity and kindness.
Could you show me the way to the post office?
Well, he had shown the insolent fellow the door.
He showed me great kindness.
He was shown the new school building over .
As soon as the visitor's real purpose was discovered, he was shown the door.
She has shown her new ring to her friends.
She has shown her new hat to the other girls.
I'll show you how to do it.
An old peasant showed us how to cut rice.
She showed me how to ride a bicycle.
He will show them that he is true to his words.
Show me where your leg hurts.
Would you please show me how I should open the box?
Show me how you are feeling?
He showed himself to be a dishonest rascal.
His new book shows him to be a first-rate novelist.
She showed herself honest.
He showed himself brave in the battle.
They showed themselves to be trustworthy.
He showed me to the door.
Because of the darkness in the cinema,I was shown to my seat.
His record showed him to have worked hard at school.
The report showed the accident to have been the driver's fault.
The photograph showed the baby laughing.
The post cards showed things looking a little better than they looked.
She has her own chat show.
The most successful shows in the London theatre are often musicals.
Let's go out and see a show, or perhaps a film.
There is a flower show in the park.
We have been to the flower show.
We can see a fine show of blossom on the trees this spring.
The teacher made an outward show of disapproval.
This is not a show of reason.
The little girl likes to make a show of herself before strangers.
The doctor made a great show of patience.
The exercise was intended as a show of force.
- show around (v.+prep.)
领…参观 take sb to look around show sb around sth
Now that you are all here, let me show you around our farm.既然大家都到齐了,我就带你们参观我们的农场吧。
Did you show him around the school?你领他参观学校了吗?
- 领…参观 take sb to look around show sb around sth
- show in (v.+adv.)
把…领进,迎进 guide in show sb in
Show the visitors in, will you?请把参观者迎进来好吗?
Part of the nurse's job is to show people in to the doctor's office.把人们领进医生的诊室是护士工作的一部分。
- 把…领进,迎进 guide in show sb in
- show off (v.+adv.)
使…突出 high light sth〔说明〕 show off作此解时不用于进行体。 show sth ⇔ off
These lights show the place off very nicely.这些灯把这里照得非常明亮。
This colour shows your complexion off to the best advantage.这种颜色使你的脸显得格外好看。
Gold hangings were used to show off the pictures.金色的吊帘被用来突出那些图片。
展示,炫耀,卖弄 exhibit or boast by words or actions show off
He never shows off.他从不卖弄自己的才能。
Oh, stop showing off!哎呀,别炫耀自己啦!
It is very shameful of him to show off.他向人炫耀自己,真不害臊。
Don't take any notice of him. He is just showing off.别管他,他不过在显示自己而已。show oneself/sth ⇔ off
She likes to show herself off.她喜欢自我炫耀。
He likes to show off his abilities.他喜欢卖弄自己的才能。
They showed off their acrobatics, to our great amusement.他们表演杂技,使我们感到有趣极了。
She loves showing off her new dress.她喜欢炫耀自己的新衣服。
He has a very expensive wristwatch and he misses no opportunity to show it off.他有一只昂贵的手表,他总是不放过任何机会来炫耀。
- 使…突出 high light sth〔说明〕 show off作此解时不用于进行体。 show sth ⇔ off
- show over〔round〕 (v.+adv.)
领…参观 take sb to look around show sb over〔round〕 用于 be ～ed 结构
They were taken to the house and shown over〔round〕.他们被领到那座房子四处参观。
- 领…参观 take sb to look around show sb over〔round〕 用于 be ～ed 结构
- show through1 (v.+adv.)
显露出; 表露出 be able to be seen through (sth such as a covering); be clear in spite of (sth hiding it) show through
The new colour is lighter, and the old paint shows through.新刷的漆颜色较浅,使原来的漆显露出来。
Whatever part he is playing his own character still shows through.不管他扮演什么角色,他自己的性格仍然会表现出来。
He may be able to speak English very fluently, but his Chinese speech habit still shows through.他虽然能讲一口流利的英语,但还是流露出汉语的讲话习惯。
- 显露出; 表露出 be able to be seen through (sth such as a covering); be clear in spite of (sth hiding it) show through
- show through2 (v.+prep.)
透过…显露出 be able to be seen through (sth such as a covering) show through sth
The old dog was so thin that his bones showed through his skin.那条老狗瘦骨嶙峋。
- 透过…显露出 be able to be seen through (sth such as a covering) show through sth
- show up (v.+adv.)
显而易见; 使显示出 be easily visible; make visible〔说明〕 show up常不用于进行体。 show up
A police-woman put some chemicals on the piece of paper, and a line of words showed up.一位女警察在一张纸条上涂上化学药品,一行字迹清晰地显示了出来。
Her wrinkles showed up in the strong sunlight.强烈的阳光使她脸上的皱纹更明显了。show sth ⇔ up
The quiz showed up Cane's weak points in physics.这次小测验显出了凯恩在物理学方面的弱点。
The lawyer showed the witness's testimony up.律师证明证人的证词失实。
到场,出席 come; appear; turn up show up
He promised to come on Tuesday but he never showed up.他答应星期二来,可是一直未露面。
Not one student showed up for the scheduled meeting.没有一个学生出席预定的会议。
She showed up late.她姗姗来迟。
羞辱,使丢脸 humiliate; shame show sb up
She likes to show people up in public.她爱当众羞辱人。
He showed his parents up rather badly.他给他父母丢尽了脸。
- 显而易见; 使显示出 be easily visible; make visible〔说明〕 show up常不用于进行体。 show up
- a show of hands
举手表决 raising of hands by a group of people to vote for or against sth
Model workers were chosen by a show of hands. 举手表决选出劳动模范。
- 举手表决 raising of hands by a group of people to vote for or against sth
- for show
为了炫耀〔展览,摆设〕 intended to be seen but not used
Some women wear hats for show. 一些妇女戴帽子是为了给别人看。
The boy took the watch given by his grandfather to school for show. 男孩把他祖父给他的手表拿到学校去炫耀。
They did this just for show. 他们做此事是为了给别人看的。
They plant flowers for show. 他们种花是为了展览。
Some things are of use, others are only for show. 有的东西有用,有的只不过是为了作装饰的。
- 为了炫耀〔展览,摆设〕 intended to be seen but not used
- give the show away
露出马脚,泄露天机 divulge a secret
She was so careful that she can't give the show away. 她很小心,不会露马脚的。
The girl gave the show away deliberately. 女孩故意泄露秘密。
- 露出马脚,泄露天机 divulge a secret
- in show
表面上,有名无实 on surface
Now he is a leader in show. 现在他只是一个有名无实的领导人。
He has some friends only in show. 他有些表面上的朋友。
- 表面上,有名无实 on surface
- on show
被展示,被陈列 being shown or exhibited
All the new products were on show at the exhibition. 展览会上陈列着所有的新产品。
We haven't room to put all our goods on show. 我们没有足够的地方展出全部商品。
His pictures are on show in London this week. 本周他的画在伦敦展出。
- 被展示,被陈列 being shown or exhibited
- put on a show
做样子,装相 put on a outward appearance
I know you well, don't put on a show. 我很了解你,别装样子了。
He likes to put on a show of wealth for his guests. 他喜欢在客人面前装阔气。
- 做样子,装相 put on a outward appearance
- put up a good〔poor〕 show
表现得好〔不好〕 put up an effort of the stated kind
He put up a good show in the final examination. 他在毕业考试中表现得不错。
Our team put up a poor show in the final and lost heavily. 我们队在决赛时表现得不好,输得很惨。
- 表现得好〔不好〕 put up an effort of the stated kind
- steal the show
抢出风头 attract the most attention and praise
She stole the show from the beginning of the opera. 她从歌剧一开始就吸引了大家的注意。
Despite fine acting by several well-known stars, it was a young newcomer who stole the show. 尽管几位名角演出都很出色,但有个新人更出风头。
- 抢出风头 attract the most attention and praise
- show a new film 上演新电影
- show a visitor into 把客人引进…
- show bravery 显出勇气
- show dirt 显得脏
- show elegance 显出高雅
- show emotion 流露出感情
- show face 出现,露脸
- show happiness 表示幸福
- show leniency 表现出仁厚
- show little mercy 不表示同情
- show oneself 露脸,出面,出现
- show oneself at the reception 出席招待会
- show oneself in one's true colour 显露出原形
- show oneself in public 公开露面
- show one's works 展示作品
- show patience 体现出耐心
- show pleasure 显出愉快
- show sb stamp collection 给…看收集的邮票
- show sb the way 给某人指路
- show sign of intelligence 显出有智力的迹象
- show sign of wear 有磨损的迹象
- show teeth 发怒
- show the painting 展览绘画
- show the prizes 展示奖品
- show the way 给…指路
- show accurately 准确地说明
- show clearly 清楚地展示
- show conclusively 令人信服地说明
- show definitely 明确地说明
- show dimly 显得昏暗
- show easily 容易地展示
- show formidably 可怕地露出
- show fully 充分地说明
- show graphically 生动地展示
- show minutely 细致地说明
- show photographically 照片上显示
- show plainly 清楚地说明
- show spectacularly 壮观地展示
- show vaguely 模糊地说明
- show in 领…进来
- show a guest in 领客人进来
- show off 夸耀,表现〔显示〕出优点
- show off well against 衬着…很好看
- show out 领…离开,送出
- show a guest out 领客人出去
- show the gentleman out 把这位先生送出去
- show the woman out of the study 把那女人送出书房
- show up 揭发,暴露,出现
- show up at the meeting 出席会议
- show around 带领…参观…
- show a friend around 带朋友参观…
- show sb around the campus 带…参观校园
- show as 用…表示
- show by 用…表示
- show into 领进
- show sb into the drawing room 把…引进客厅
- show over 带领参观
- show sb over a factory 带某人参观工厂
- show sb over the old castle 领某人看古堡的全貌
- show through 带领参观
- show sb through the museum 领…参观博物馆
- show to 把…拿给…看,把…领〔送〕到
- show new ring to sb 把新戒指给某人看
- show sb to the door 把某人送到门口
- show sb to the seat 引某人入座
- acclaim show 为表演喝彩
- applaud show 为表演鼓掌
- attend a show 看演出
- back show 支持表演
- catch a show 看演出
- censor show 审查演出
- conclude show 结束演出
- direct a show 导演剧目
- do a show 去看戏〔电影〕等
- finance show 出钱支持展览
- give a show 上演
- give sb a fair show 给某人一个好机会
- give the show away 露出马脚,泄露内幕
- give the whole show away 泄漏整个事情
- give two shows everyday 每天演出两场
- go to a show 去看展览〔演出,电影〕
- hail show 欢呼演出
- have no show of winning 没有获胜的机会
- hold a show 举办展览
- make a show 展示
- make a show of oneself 出洋相
- make a false show of strength 虚张声势
- offer show 提供展览
- produce a show 制作剧目
- put on a show 上演剧目,假装
- put up a show 表现
- render show 表现,使…演出
- review show 评论演出
- revise show 修正演出
- run the show 主持演出〔展览〕,主持,操纵
- see a show 看演出
- set up for show 摆样子
- sponsor a show 赞助演出
- stage a show 上演节目
- stand a show 有一个机会
- steal the show 抢着出风头
- stop the show (观众的热烈掌声)中断演出
- take in a show 看演出
- bad show 表演得不好
- beautiful show 美丽的景象
- excellent show 精彩的表演〔演出〕
- good show 好的演出
- greatest show 最精彩的表演
- hit show 十分成功的表演
- light show 光影闪烁的表演
- musical show 音乐表演
- open-air show 露天表演
- outward show 外观
- public show 公开表演
- sorry show 难过的样子
- air show 航空展览会
- chat show (电台或电视台的)现场谈话节目
- circus show 马戏表演
- dance show 舞蹈表演
- film show 电影展
- floor show (夜总会等中的)歌舞表演
- flower show 花展
- horse show 马展
- ice show 溜冰表演
- leg show 大腿舞
- minstrel show 黑人剧团的演出
- monkey show 猴戏
- motor show 汽车展览会
- oil show 石油迹象
- peep show 西洋景
- puppet show 木偶戏
- radio show 广播节目
- road show 巡回演出
- stage show 舞台表演
- talent show 业余能手演唱会
- talk show 答问节目
- tractor show 拖拉机展览
- trade show 内部预演
- strip show 脱衣舞表演
- TV show 电视节目
- variety show 综合文艺节目
- at a show 在展览会上
- decide it by a show of hand 举手表决
- for show 为了给人留下印象,为了引人注目
- do sth for a show 为某事装门面,为炫耀而做某事
- in dumb show 哑剧表演
- be fond of show 喜欢表现,喜欢卖弄
- on show 在展览中
Once they left the hotel his show of concern for her was dropped.出自：L. Grant
His co-pilot made a great show of understanding the map.出自：Clive James
Nietzsche could praise intelligence while showing the ambiguity of all its achievements.出自：A. Livingstone
Innumerable..memories have been shown as wrong when confronted with the facts.出自：Anthony Smith
The books showed that the..business would have to be wound down.出自：P. Fitzgerald
- show的基本意思是“给…看”,可指有意或无意地将某物置于他人视野内,也可指将他人带到能看到该物的地方。show也可作“上演、展出”; “为…带路”,“带…到某处”解,引申还可表示“表现出”“显露出”“流露出”; “说明”“表明”; “呈现”等。
- show可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词、代词、that/wh-从句作宾语。也可接双宾语,其直接宾语可由名词、代词、带疑问词的动词不定式、that/wh-从句充当,间接宾语则可转化为介词to的宾语。show还可接复合宾语,其宾语补足语可由(to be+)名词或形容词、副词、介词短语、动词不定式的完成式、现在分词充当。
- 在美式英语中, show还可作“露面”解,属于非正式用法。例如:He failed to show for the award.他没有为领奖而露面。
- show one's face, show oneself, show itself
这三个短语的意思不同。show one's face的意思是“露面”。例如:Miss Walsh is ashamed to show her face before the public.华尔希小姐不好意思在大庭广众面前露面。show oneself的意思是“出席、到场”。例如:Ought we to show ourselves at the meeting tomorrow?明天我们应不应该出席会议?show itself的意思是“显而易见”。例如:His annoyance showed itself in his looks.一看他的脸色便知他不愉快。
- show, exhibit
这两个词都有“显示”的意思。其区别是：exhibit常带有“展览”的意思,其宾语多为有价值的东西,如古物等; 而show则多表示“出示”某物,宾语多为小型物品,如证件等。例如:She has exhibited her paintings in Paris.她的画在巴黎展出过。
- show, display
这两个词都有“表现”“表明”或“显示”的意思。其区别是：1.display指表现出来的东西能使人看到或体会到; show指将事物展示给别人看,或领旁人到某地去观看。show有时还可以表示用语言、符号、行动等表达思想感情。例如:The shop displays a new kind of car.在商店里展示着一款新车。She showed her favor.她表示给予支持。2.show是有意识地展示; display则是费力地明显表现。例如:She never shows her feelings.她的感情从不外露。Department stores display their goods in the windows.百货商店把商品陈列在橱窗里。3.show较真实; display有时带有较大的夸耀性。例如:Does the mark of the wound still show?伤痕还看得出吗?
- show, indicate, point out
这组词(组)都有“表示”“表明”的意思。其区别在于：1.point out更强调“指出”。例如:She pointed out that the closing date for making applications had passed.她指出申请的截止日期已经过了。2.show通常用于一眼就可以看清的东西,多用于有意识的行为。例如:Does the mark of the wound still show?伤痕还看得出吗?Tickets, please. Show your tickets.票,请把票拿出来。3.indicate常用于无意识的行为。例如:A signpost indicated the right road for us to follow.一个路标给我们指示应走的路。The state of his clothes indicates clearly that he has been playing football.他的衣服表明他一直在踢足球。
- show, evidence, evince, manifest
这组词都可表示“显露”。其区别是：show仅指让别人看见,其内容却需通过言行或神色来推敲; evidence尤指用言语或行动来证明尚未完全证明或仍有疑问的东西; evince侧重表露出兴趣、感情、能力等; manifest强调比show更充分、更清楚和更明确地显示。例如:His answer evidenced a guilty conscience.他的回答证明他良心有愧。He is a child who evinces great intelligence.他是一个表现出有极高智力的儿童。The symptoms manifested themselves ten days later.十天后出现了症状。
- show, expose, flaunt, parade
这组词都可表示“显露”。其区别是：show最常用,指采取行动以达到让别人能看见的目的; expose指移去某物的覆盖物或把某物从隐藏处拿出来以使其公开暴露,也指陈列商品等,暗示暴露令人不快、应该藏匿的事物; parade指夸耀或炫耀,有时侧重怀有欺骗的念头; flaunt指比parade更无耻地挑衅式地卖弄或夸示。例如:Keep indoors and don't expose your skin to the sun.留在屋里,不要让皮肤在太阳下暴晒。She was flaunting her new fur coat.她正在夸耀她那件新皮衣。She paraded the corridors in her new dress.她穿着新衣服炫耀地在走廊里走来走去。
- She showed him the door.
- She showed him to the door.
- She showed him out.
- He showed me the room.
- He showed me into the room.
- Show me your passport, please.
- Show your passport to me, please.
- for show, in show, on show
这三个短语的意思不同:in show的意思是“表面上,有名无实”; on show的意思是“被展示”; for show的意思是“为了炫耀”。
- show, exhibition
这两个词的共同意思是“展览会”。其区别在于:exhibition尤指大型展览会,多以推销或介绍产品为目的。show则多指小型展览会。例如:There is a flower show in the park.公园里正在举行花卉展览。
- appear emerge show loom
误 I want to show to do it.
正 I want to show you how to do it.
析 show后不可直接接动词不定式作宾语,但可接以(wh-) to- v 充当宾语补足语的复合宾语。
误 They showed me the library to have a look.
正 They showed me the library.
误 Will you please show us to see all the famous sights of this city?
正 Will you please show us all the famous sights of this city?
析 show本身已含有“看”的含义,因此,无须加have a look或to see。
误 What is being shown at the theatre?
正 What is showing at the theatre?
析 表示“表演节目”, show是不及物动词,不可用被动结构。
误 He showed to be innocent.
正 He showed himself to be innocent.
析 表示“表明自己是…的”,须用show+oneself+(to be) adj. 结构,不可省略oneself。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的sceawain，意为看；最初源自古日耳曼语的skau，意为看。
- show:show n. 表示, 展览, 炫耀, 外观, 假装v. 出示, 指示, 引导, 说明, 显示, 展出, 放映 英英解释:名词show:1. the act of publicly exhibitin…