- 球触网重发，球触网，发球擦网或比赛受阻碍 ，擦网球
- vt. 让,使 allow to do or happen
- vt. & vi. 出租 rent
- vt. 放掉,松掉 stop holding
a brutal terrorist group active in Kashmir; fights against India with the goal of restoring Islamic rule of India;
"Lashkar-e-Toiba has committed mass murders of civilian Hindus"
a serve that strikes the net before falling into the receiver's court; the ball must be served again
make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen;
"This permits the water to rush in"
"This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"
"This will permit the rain to run off"
actively cause something to happen;
"I let it be known that I was not interested"
consent to, give permission;
"She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"
"I won't let the police search her basement"
"I cannot allow you to see your exam"
cause to move; cause to be in a certain position or condition;
"He got his squad on the ball"
"This let me in for a big surprise"
"He got a girl into trouble"
"let it be"
grant use or occupation of under a term of contract;
"I am leasing my country estate to some foreigners"
- I won't let him get away with that excuse.
- I don't agree with all you say, but I'll let it go at that.
- No visitors are let into the committee meetings.
- Let me have a look at this watch.
- Let's consider briefly his suggestion.
- Let the line AB be equal to the line XY.
假设ab 线与XY 线相等。
- Let ABC be an angle of ninety degrees .
- The shop is let on very favourable terms.
- I asked her if she had any rooms to let.
- I can't get a let for my house.
- Please allow the bearer of this passport to pass freely without let or hindrance.
- If you hit a let,you can serve again.
- The house does not let well.
- The house lets for 50 dollars a month.
- I let my spare rooms.
- We're hoping to let this field.
- The farmers near cities are working part of their land themselves and are letting the rest.
- He let drop a hint of his intentions.
- She let drive at me with a stone.
- Let fly with the left foot!
- Bob was so angry that he let fly the ball in his hand at me.
- Mrs. Brown let me a room.
- The landlord says he'll let you a flat.
- They let rooms to college students.
- Let the door open.
- She asked me if she could leave but I wouldn't let her leave.
- Let the people air their views.
- We'll let his family know that he is in danger.
- It's not a serious error;we can let it pass.
- Let me try.
- Mother let me go to camp.
- Let me have a look, will you?
- Please let me know what happens.
- Let us not talk of that matter.
- Let us know the time of your arrival.
- Let's go to school.
- Let's try to get to the cinema just before it lets out.
- They are not going to let themselves be used to pull anybody's chestnuts out of the fire.
- You can't let the farm be neglected like this.
- Let line BE be equal to line CF.
- Let ABC be an angle of 45.
- The child is let to stay at home when his parents go to work.
- I was let to see her.
- The grass has been let to grow.
- let by〔pass〕 (v.+adv.)
让…过去 allow (sb/sth) to pass through
let sb/sth by〔pass〕
Let me by, please.
The cars all stopped to let the fire engine by.
I shall let that remark pass.
- let bygones be bygones
既往不咎,过去就算了 let the past be forgotten
- let down (v.+adv.)
使…失望,失信 disappoint sb especially by breaking a promise
- let go (of) (v.+v.+prep.)
松手,放弃 stop holding;give up
Don't let go.
别放手。let go sth
Don't let go the rope.
Let go my shirt.
He was about to let go the arrow when someone called him.
他正要射箭,突然有人喊他。let go of sb/sth
You're mad,Kehr!For heaven's sake, let go of me!
But I let go of it, how could it burn me?
Let go of that, please.
You cross the road with Granny,Ad—and don't let go of her hand till you're on the other pavement.
Don't let go of the handle.
- let in (v.+adv.)
容许,接受 admit (sth)
- let in for (v.+adv.+prep.)
使…卷入 cause (sb or oneself) to have sth unwanted
let sb/oneself in for sth
His illness has let us in for a lot of extra work.
I hope you realize what you're letting yourself in for!
- let in on (v.+adv.+prep.)
〈非正〉让知道或参与 allow sb to share a secret or take part in sth
let sb in on sth
They have agreed to let the headmaster and three senior teachers in on the discussions.
- let into (v.+prep.)
嵌入,插入 set sth into sth
- let it go at that
不再管〔说〕了,到此为止 stop taking any more trouble;agree not to say any more
- let loose (v.+adj.)
let sb/sth loose
Jim caught Rose's arm and would not let her loose.
Don't let that tiger loose.
She let the balloon loose and it quickly rose into the air.
Has the dog been let loose or is it still tied up?
狗已经放了还是仍在拴着?let sb loose
No one should let a young child loose on a car with the engine running.
Who let that student loose on the class?
The dark clouds are going to let loose soon.
- let me see
让我想想 I'm thinking or trying to remember
- let off1 (v.+adv.)
放掉〔过〕,免除 release or excuse sb from punishment;excuse from (a task or an obligation)
- let off2 (v.+prep.)
放掉〔过〕,免除 release;excuse sb from punishment;excuse from (a task or an obligation)
let sb off sth/v-ing
The judge decided to let the boys off the punishment that they deserved to give them a chance.
You're lucky that they let you off all washing-up.
The teacher told us that he would let us off our homework.
She let the boy off playing piano.
- let on (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉泄密,透露;假装 reveal a secret;pretend;simulate
let on about sth
Don't let on about the price of the car.
Don't let on about his hiding place.
别告诉别人他躲藏的地方。let on to-v
Don't ever let on to know me.
She let on not to understand.
她假装不理解。let on that-clause
Don't let on that I've let her into the secret.
Don't let on that I saw him coming out of the shop late at night.
He let on that he was a professor.
他冒充他是个教授。let on to sb that-clause
Don't let on to Kehr that we are going to the movie tonight.We don't want her to know.
- let on for (v.+adv.+prep.)
使承担 cause to have (sth unwanted)
let oneself on for sth
He didn't know what a lot of unpaid work he was letting himself on for when he agreed to become secretary of the society.
- let oneself go
较平常不注意外表 take less care of one's appearance than usual
- let out (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉泄露秘密 allow sth to become known
let sb/oneself/sth ⇔ out (of sth)
Let me out! I'm locked in!
Don't trouble to see me to the door,I'll let myself out.
I'd rather not let the children out in this wet weather, for it is very easy for them to catch a cold.
The doctors are letting mother out of hospital next week.
If neither of us wants to go to the party, we'll have to find an excuse to let us out.
After six years they let him out for good behaviour.
Don't let the dog out.
Please let the water out of the bathtub.
If the tyres are too hard, just let some of the air out.
Jacelin has become so fat that his wife has had to let out his trousers several inches round the waist.
Let out the main sail, let's make use of this wind!
She let out a terrible scream.
It's good to let out your feelings in a shout.
Dade won't be let out of prison for at least six years.
If he was given five years' imprisonment, he could be let out after three years.
要是他被判5年徒刑,他就可能在3年后出狱。let sth ⇔ out
He used to let out cars by the day.
In the park boats are let out for 30 fen per hour.
那公园出租小艇,每小时租金3角。let sth ⇔ out
Don't let the fire out, will you?
别让火熄灭,好吗?let sb ⇔ out
“The regular teacher is back, isn't he?”“Good, that lets me out!”
I was glad to be let out of that nasty affair, and have someone more experienced handle the trouble.
Cage let out in all directions but his attackers were too strong for him.
凯奇左踢右打,但攻击他的人比他厉害得多。let out at sb
Once he gets angry, he lets out at anyone who opposes him.
School lets out at 3 o'clock.
The movie lets out at 11 o'clock.
这场电影11点散场。let sth ⇔ out
Someone had let the news out.
Keep this to yourself, don't let it out to the press.
你要保守秘密,别把它泄露给新闻界。let out that/wh-clause
Mary accidentally let out that her mother had telephoned.
Jane let out where she had hidden her father's birthday present.
简无意中把藏着给父亲的生日礼物的地方说了出去。let the cat out of the bag
We want to surprise Mother with a birthday gift;but Peter let the cat out of the bag by asking her what she would like.
- let sb/sth be
不打扰某人,不干涉某事 not disturb or interfere with sb/sth
- let through1 (v.+adv.)
让…通过 allow or accept (sb/sth) to pass through
let sb/sth through
Open the gate and let the crowd through.
We need some partly transparent window shades to let the light through but not the heat.
The examiners let the weak student through, but warned him that he must improve his work.
- let through2 (v.+prep.)
让…通过… allow or accept (sb/sth) to pass through sth
let sb/sth through sth
Let the crowd through the gates now, the game will start soon.
Open the curtains to let some light through the window.
Facer was let through the examination, but warned to improve his study.
- let up (v.+adv.)
放松,减少〔弱〕 relax or lessen
let sb up
The student's here;shall I let him up?
We mustn't let up now that we have nearly achieved our object.
The rain began to let up.
When is this hot weather going to let up?
天气这么热,什么时候才能变得凉快一些呢?let sth ⇔ up
We have overspent.We'll have to let up our expenditures next month.
- let up on (v.+adv.+prep.)
对(某人)放松〔不狠〕;在(某事)上松懈 treat (sb) less severely;work less hard at (sth)
let up on sb/sth
Let up on the child;it was an accident.
We can't let up on our efforts to compete with other more successful firms.
- let us say
比如,例如 for example
- let by 让…过去
- let down 放下,使失望,不支持,放掉(车胎的)气
- let down the curtain 放下窗帘
- let down the Party 辜负党的期望
- let down the window 放下窗户
- let in fresh air 让新鲜空气进入
- let in the rain 漏雨
- let off 放(炮、烟火等),放掉(气),发泄,放过,原谅
- let off a dissent 发泄不满
- let off fireworks 放烟火
- let on 泄露,假装
- let out 释放,放走,发出某种声音,出租(房屋),把(衣服)改大
- let out a dress 把衣服改大
- let out a secret 泄露秘密
- let out a shriek 发出一声尖叫
- let out spare rooms 出租多余的房间
- let the dog out 让狗跑到外面去
- let out the fire 让火熄灭
- let through 放行,使…通过审核
- let the crowd through 让人们过去
- let in for 使陷入,引起麻烦
- let oneself in for trouble 招来麻烦
- let sb into one's secret 让某人知道其秘密
- let sb into the building 让某人进楼
- let sb into the office 让某人进入办公室
- let sb off the bus 让某人下公共汽车
- let sb in on a secret 让某人知道秘密
- let sb in on the act 让某人参加此项行动
- let sb out of prison 让(某人)出狱
- let the crowd through the gates 让人们从各大门进来
The West End is full of shops to let.出自： S. Spender
So she gravitated upwards, letting the ground floor to tenants.出自： P. Norman
The contract has been let for the M40..road.出自：Daily Telegraph
A Church let and hindered from striking out boldly on new paths.出自：Daily Telegraph
- let用作及物动词作“出租”解时,可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接双宾语,其间接宾语可以转化为介词to的宾语;作“让,使”解时,通常接以形容词或不带to的动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语;接动词不定式作宾语补足语时,如用于被动结构, to须保留。let还可接不带to的动词不定式作宾语,这时主要用于某些固定搭配中。
- 在口语中, let常用于祈使句中表示建议、请求、命令、警告等;在书面语中,可用allow代替let。
- let us, let's
- let us常缩写为let's,它们之间的区别是：
- 1.let us可包括也可不包括说话的对象,即“让我〔咱〕们一起…”;let's则包括说话的对象在内,即“让咱们一起…”。
- 2.let us通常用在正式的场合,而let's则多出现在口语等非正式的场合。
- 3.let's的否定形式在美式英语中多用let's not,在英式英语中多用don't let's;let us的否定式在不包括对象在内时用don't let's;在包括对象在内时可用don't let us,也可用let us not。
- 4.let's在表示“提议”(说话人与听话人共同做某事)时,常跟shall we连用,以使语气比较婉转、客气;let us(不包括对方)在表示“请求”允许“说话人自己做某事”时,常跟will you连用,以使语气更加婉转、缓和。例如:
- Let's start early, shall we?让我们早点出发,好吗?
- Please let us go, will you?请让我们走,好不好?
- let, let out
- let alone, leave alone
- Leave〔let〕 that bag alone.It's not yours!别动那个包,那不是你的!
- 1.作“不理〔管〕而听其自然”“不烦扰”解时,多用leave alone; 作“不干涉”解时,多用let alone; 作“更不用说”解时, let alone比leave alone更正式。
- 2.leave alone可用于被动结构; 而let alone不常用于被动结构。
- let sb go, let oneself go
- The boss let his secretary go.老板把他的秘书解雇了。
- The manager worked hard all week, but on Saturday night he went to countryside and let himself go.经理整周辛苦工作,周六晚上就去乡下轻松一下。
- let go, leave go
- 1.let go后可直接接宾语,也可接of再加宾语;而leave go后必须接of再加宾语。
- 2.let go可用于被动结构,而leave go一般不用于被动结构。
- let, admit, allow, permit
- She opened the door reluctantly to admit the unwelcome visitor.她很不情愿地把门打开,让不受欢迎的客人进去了。
- Jack was admitted to the hospital to have his tumour removed.医生收杰克住院切除肿瘤。
- allow指“允许某人做…”,给予客体执行某任务的权力,或同意某人的要求,和permit同义。它们在许多场合中可以通用。不过两者的意思也有细微差别, allow的意思是“允许”,表示主体有权不阻止、不妨碍或默许某事进行的意思。例如：
- Playing ball is not allowed in the park.公园内不许打球。
- Parking is not allowed here.此处不准停车。
- Time does not permit me to stay longer.时间不容许我在这里多留一会。
- Tom's parents will not let him swim in the lake.汤姆的父母不让他在湖里游泳。
- 2.permit 后可接不定式和动名词,但不可接名词从句; let不用动名词作宾语,其宾语后接动词原形。
- Allow me to〔Let me〕 thank you on behalf of our factory.请允许我代表全厂职工向你致谢。
- The facts permit no other explanations.这些事实不容许作其他解释。
- let 是口头语。例如：
- We won't let such a thing happen again.我们绝不允许再发生这样的事。
- let, hire, rent
- 1.就租进、租出来说, let是租出, rent和hire则既可以是租进,也可以是租出。例如:
- Will you rent me your boat for the weekend?小船租给我度周末好吗?
- The house lets for 80 yuan a month.这房子出租,租金一个月80元。
- 2.就租期长短来说, hire强调临时性, let强调长期性,而rent既可以是长期的,也可以是临时的。例如:
- During the holidays we hired a boat and went fishing.假期我们租了一条船去钓鱼。
- We're hoping to let this field.我们希望把这块地租出去。
- She rents out rooms to students.她把房间出租给学生。
- 3.就宾语来说, hire多用于对人的雇用, let和rent则着重于租物。例如:
- The store hired two clerks for the sale.这家商店为了这次廉价销售雇了两名店员。
- The farmers near cities are working part of their land themselves and are letting the rest.城区附近的农民自己耕种一部分土地,出租其余的部分。
- He rented a colour TV soon after moving in.搬进后不久他就租了一台彩色电视机。
- 4.hire在表示租某物时,在英国,一般指租汽车、船只等; let指出租房屋、地产; rent在英式英语中指较长时间租入或租出房屋、商店或土地,在美式英语中可指长时间或短时间租用各类资本或日用品,这一意义现已影响到英国。例如:
- Why don't you hire out your car to your neighbours while you're away, and earn some money?你不在家时为何不将你的汽车租给你的邻居,挣点钱呢?
- I asked her if she had any room to let.我问她有没有房间出租。
- I'm thinking of renting out my house while I'm away.我正在考虑在我离家期间把房子租出去。
- Let me know when you are back.
- Let me know when you'll be back.
- allow重在“允许”或“容许”，也可表示客气的请求，常用于allow sb．to do sth．或allow doing sth．结构中。
- ☆ 12世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古英语的 lettan，意为耽搁。