- n. 职务；功能；函数；重大聚会；应变量，有相关关系者；取决于
- vi. 运行；起作用
- [C][U]功能; 作用; 职责 a natural or usual duty of a person or purpose of a thing
- [C]函数; 与另一事物有密切关系的事物 a value which varies as another value varies; a quality or fact which depends on and varies with another
- [C]社交集会 a public ceremony
- vi. 工作,运行,起作用 work, operate
(mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
what something is used for;
"the function of an auger is to bore holes"
"ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group;
"the function of a teacher"
"the government must do its part"
"play its role"
a relation such that one thing is dependent on another;
"height is a function of age"
"price is a function of supply and demand"
a formal or official social gathering or ceremony;
"it was a black-tie function"
a vaguely specified social event;
"the party was quite an affair"
"an occasion arranged to honor the president"
"a seemingly endless round of social functions"
a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
perform as expected when applied;
"The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"
"Does this old car still run well?"
"This old radio doesn't work anymore"
serve a purpose, role, or function;
"The tree stump serves as a table"
"The female students served as a control group"
"This table would serve very well"
"His freedom served him well"
"The table functions as a desk"
perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function;
"His wife officiated as his private secretary"
- What is his function on the committee?
- The teacher did not explain its grammatical function.
- The function of the ear is to listen.
- Periodic change imposed on a controlled variable or a function by a controller.
- Heads of state attend numerous functions every year.
- Price is a function of supply and demand.
- However, many system features and tasks will not function correctly.
- A new tax and financial system was functioning effectively.
- During the reorganization,we should pay careful attention to selecting the key leaders of these sections so that the latter can function properly.
- He can't afford to pay the rent, so for now, his car will also function as his home.
- During this mission, the command post is functioning prominently.
- They have the functions and powers in their hands.
- The brain performs a very important function; it controls the nervous system of the body.
- The function of the stomach is to digest food sufficiently to enable it to pass into the intestine.
- What functions can this machine?
- In x =5 y , x is a function of y .
- The size of the crop is a function of the quality of the soil and the amount of rainfall.
- He first met her at a social function.
- The phone didn't function at all.
- The machine will not function properly if it is not kept well-oiled.
- function as( v.+prep. )
担任,兼起作用fulfil the duty or purpose of
function as sth
An attributive noun functions as an adjective.
- abuse one's function 滥用职权
- attend a function 出席社交聚会
- discharge one's function 尽职
- exercise〔fulfil〕 function 行使职责
- impair〔increase〕 the function 削弱〔提高〕功能
- perform〔serve〕 function 起作用
- civic〔governmental〕 function 公民〔政府〕的职责
- important function 重大作用
- leading function 主要职责
- organic function 器官的功能
- periodic function 周期函数
- primary function 首要任务
- public function 公务
- supreme function 至高无上的任务
- useful function 有益的作用
- vital function 生命机能
- immunity function 免疫功能
- function word 功能词
- function of art 艺术的作用
The chief function of poetry is the criticism of life.出自： G. Murray
The function of ice was to melt.出自： J. G. Cozzens
The obsessional's habitual disgust with bodily functions, especially with those of excretion.出自： A. Storr
The smooth..running of our centralised cashier function.出自：Times
Finance is shaking off its grey, dowdy image. It is becoming a creative, dynamic function.出自：Marketing
The wash-basin..had no plug, but the tap functioned.出自： A. Koestler
Criticism..functioning as a mask for moral prejudice.出自： N. O. Brown
He first met her at a social function.
The function of a policeman is to preserve law and order.
The function of a clock is to tell the time.
- function, action, agency
- 1.action和agency指一物〔事〕对另一物〔事〕的作用; 而function指物体自身的作用。
- 3.action和function是可数名词; 而agency是不可数名词,常用于短语by〔through〕 the agency of。
- 4.action是一般用词; agency和function是正式用词。
- function, operate, work
- 这三个词都有“功能”“作用”的意思。其区别在于： operate更强调成功大于结果; work暗示成功、有效; function暗示某物之目的、任务和结果。
- ☆ 16世纪30年代进入英语，直接源自中古法语的fonction；最初源自拉丁语的functio，意为成绩，执行。