- (表示方向)与…方向相反,逆着,迎着,顶着 in an opposite direction to
- (表示方位)紧靠着…,倚靠着 … touching especially for support
- (表示对象)对…不利,对…有害; 和…碰撞,与…撞击; 预防,以…为抵御对象; 以…为竞争对手; 违反,违背 causing disadvantage to; having an unfavorable effect on; in the direction of and meeting; as a defence or protection from; indicating antagonism; in violation of or contrary to
- (表示目的)为…作准备,防备…之用 in preparation for; as a defense or protection from
- (表示态度)反对,反抗 opposed to, not in favor of, not defense of, not in support of
- (表示依据)以…为标准 according to sth
- (表示比率)以…兑换,以…交换 change sth for sth
- (表示对比)和…比,和…对照; 以…为背景 having as a background; in contrast to
- There are 26 votes for him and 8 against him.
- We sailed against the wind.
- It's against your promise to go on smoking.
- They forced me to do things against my will.
- The huge trees were profiled against the night sky.
- We have saved some money against our old age.
- Our defences must be reinforced against attack.
- His eloquence did not avail against the facts.
- You must weigh the benefits against the cost.
You should fly your kite against the wind.
She always advances against difficulties.
The seats have no back against which to lean.
A picture hangs against the wall.
The present economic climate works against the smaller companies.
I struck my head against the branch of a tree.
Warn the lady against pickpockets.
The government has already adopted effective measures against piracy.
Roosevelt ran against Hoover in 1932. 1932
This explanation is against the natural law.
She is preparing a substantial meal against his return.
He fought against the disease for a long time.
I checked my watch against the steeple clock.
Please deliver this package against payment of cost.
He is elected by a majority of 40 votes against 10.
The mountain looked magnificent against the sky.
- act against 违反
- argue against 为反对…而辩；反驳，否定
- be divided against itself 分裂成派系而自我削弱
- bang one's head against a (brick) wall 以头碰壁；试图干不可能的事，枉费心机，白费力气
- bash one's head against a (brick) wall 以头碰壁；试图干不可能的事，枉费心机，白费力气
- beat one's head against a (brick) wall 以头碰壁；试图干不可能的事，枉费心机，白费力气
- bring an accusation against 控诉
- bring an action against 控告，指控
- count against 因(某事)而低估,对某人不利
- cry against 大声疾呼反对
- fight against 同…战斗
- get two strikes against 处于不利地位，处于严重情况
- go against 违背,作对,不利于
- go against the stream 反潮流，逆潮流而行
- go against the tide 不随大流
- guard against 保护（某人）使之免于…，谨防，预防
- have a bias against 对…有反感
- have designs against 对…有不良企图
- have two strikes against 处于不利地位，处于严重情况
- hope against hope 存一线希望，抱着万一的希望
- kick against 反对,抗议,作无益的抵抗,自讨苦吃
- kick against the pricks 以卵击石
- knock against (使)撞击,击打,偶然碰到
- knock one's head against a (brick) wall 以头碰壁；试图干不可能的事，枉费心机，白费力气
- lift one's hand against 举手要打，威胁要攻击
- magnify oneself against 轻视，对…盛气凌人
- make against 有害,不利于,违反
- more sinned against than sinning 受到超过应得程度的惩罚
- play both ends against the middle 使对立双方相争以从中得利
- poison sb's mind against 使某人对…产生恶感
- prefer a charge against 控告,告发
- protest against 对…表示反对或抗议
- raise one's hand against 举手要打，威胁要攻击
- raise the heel against 准备用脚踢,压制
- raise voice against 表示反对
- run against 碰及,碰撞,同…竞选
- sail against the wind 逆风而行
- set against 使(某人〔物〕)靠着…
- set one's face against 反对
- side against 反对
- sin against 违犯,冒犯
- slap against 拍击
- sling against 把(某人〔物〕)对着…扔
- speak against 演说反对
- stack against 靠着…整齐地堆放；使不利于
- stand against （使）靠着…站立〔竖放〕
- start against 开始和…竞争
- struggle against 同…作斗争
- swear the peace against 宣誓声明有受…加害的危险（而请求司法机关保护），控告…图谋行凶
- swim against the tide 不随大流
- take against 反对，不喜欢，不赞成
- take action against 对…起诉,采取措施防止…
- talk against 说…坏话
- tell against 对…不利
- throw straws against the wind 扔草抵风,螳臂挡车
- work against 竭力反对
- work against the clock 以全速工作,赶工
- bear up against 在…面前不颓丧
- bring up against 使(某人)面临…
- brush up against 轻轻地敲
- chalk up against 把某事记在…账上
- come up against 遇到(困难等)
- gang up against 联合反对
- get up against 靠…站立,冒犯
- knock up against 偶然撞碰,偶然碰见
- rub up against 经过时（把…）擦着；偶然碰到（或接触到）
- run up against 遇到,碰到
- squeeze up against （使）挤紧，（使）靠拢
- campaign against 反对…的运动
- case against 反对…议案
- charge against 对…的控告
- charm against 驱逐…的咒符
- claim against 要求…的赔偿
- crime against 对…的犯罪
- defence against 对…的防御
- fight against 与…的斗争
- guard against 防护…的物件
- suit against 对…的诉讼
- vote against 投票反对…
- warning against 警告不要…
- witness against 不利于…的证人
- against (all the) odds 尽管有极大的困难
- against expectation(s) 和所预料的相反
- against nature 反常的,违背人性的
- against one's better judgement 明知不可取地,明知不恰当地
- against one's inclination 不愿意,违背本意
- against one's will 违背心愿,无可奈何
- against sb's grain 格格不入，违反意愿
- against the blue sky 在蓝天的衬托下
- against the clock 拼命赶时间
- against the collar （马上坡时）马轭紧抵肩部，顶着困难，吃力地
- against the grain 格格不入,违反意愿
- against the law 违法
- against the tree 靠着树
- against the wall 靠着墙壁
- against time 测量时间
His hand will be against euery man.出自：Bible (AV): Genesis
I rode a race against Bob Dashwood.出自：G. J. Whyte
Even his good qualities of geniality and impetuosity counted against him, for his parties..got talked about.出自：E. Waugh
Effie sided with Tom against Frank.出自：D. H. Lawrence
No Welsh witness would testify against them.出自：K. Amis
We fight for the weak against the strong.
He had intended to come but somehow decided against(it).
- against, for
- against, for, on, with
这四个介词均可表示“对…的态度”。其区别是：against指在观点或主张等方面与某人采取对立的态度,意思是“反对”“与…对抗”; for指在观点或主张等方面与某人采取合作一致的态度,意思是“支持”“赞成”; on常与side连用,表示“站在…一边”; with常指在观点或主张上与某人采取一致的态度,意思是“与…一致”“与…站在一边”,但有时也可指“与…对抗”“站在…的对立面”。
- ☆ 12世纪初期入进英语，直接源自古英语的agenes，意为反方向，反对。
- against:against prep. 相反, 反对, 逆着, 靠着, 倚着习惯用语as against 与...比较be against 违反, 无视, 不顾be against sth. 违反, 无视, 不顾…