- vt. & vi. 运转,操作 work; be in action
- vt. 经营,管理 manage
- vt. & vi. 开刀,(对…)做手术 cut the body in order to set right or remove a diseased part
direct or control; projects, businesses, etc.;
"She is running a relief operation in the Sudan"
perform as expected when applied;
"The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"
"Does this old car still run well?"
"This old radio doesn't work anymore"
handle and cause to function;
"do not operate machinery after imbibing alcohol"
"control the lever"
perform a movement in military or naval tactics in order to secure an advantage in attack or defense
"What is going on in the minds of the people?"
"engaged the gears"
perform surgery on;
"The doctors operated on the patient but failed to save his life"
- It's too difficult for him to operate this new sophisticated machine.
- The lift doesn't operate properly.
- They operate three factories and a huge warehouse.
- A large number of factories operate in the red.
- The doctor began to operate on the boy.
- The lift was not operating properly.
- Now regular bus services operate between the two cities.
- This law operates universally.
- It may be necessary to operate.
- The doctor decided to operate at once.
- The medicine will operate in ten minutes.
- It has been proved that various causes operated to bring about the accident.
- His job is to operate this machine.
- The company operates three factories.
- operate against (v.+prep.)
施行反对…fulfil planned actions against the enemy
- operate from (v.+prep.)
从…开始 do one's work using a place as a base
operate from sth
The general operated from a tent on the battlefield.
The company is presently operating from London, but is planning to move to the country.
- operate on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
产生作用 start to have effect
operate on〔upon〕 sb/sth
This famous doctor has operated on many important people.
The surgeons operated upon him for a tumour.
I'm afraid that your leg will have to be operated on, there's no other way to stop the pain.
恐怕你的腿得做手术,没有其他办法止痛。operate sb on sth
My father is a doctor, he operated a patient on the head last night.
我父亲是医生。他昨晚上给一个病人做了头部手术。operate on sb/sth
The tractor operates on diesel oil.
These reasons operated on the mind of the hearer.
The medicine will quickly operate on such patients.
- operate a lathe 开车床
- operate radical changes 引起了剧烈变化
- operate small factories 办小型工厂
- operate the machine 开这部机器
- operate continuously 不停地运转
- operate deftly 熟练地操作
- operate disastrously 灾难性地操作
- operate discreetly 小心地操作
- operate economically 经济上地经营
- operate efficiently 运转效率相当高
- operate formally 正式经营
- operate informally 非正式地经营
- operate injuriously 有害地操作
- operate insidiously 不知不觉地经营
- operate laboriously 吃力地操作
- operate legally 合法经营
- operate logically 逻辑性经营
- operate mechanically 机械地操作
- operate mentally 专心经营
- operate particularly 特殊地操作
- operate primarily 重要地操作
- operate properly 正常运转
- operate recklessly 不顾后果地操作
- operate resolutely 果断地操作
- operate scientifically 科学地操作
- operate skillfully 技术性地操作
- operate successfully 成功地操作
- operate symbolically 象征性地操作
Rivalry usually operates as a stimulant to esteem.出自： T. Hardy
- operate也可作“对…施行手术”“产生影响”解。此时常接介词on,再接某人或某人的某个部位。如果表达“为某人施某种手术”,则用介词for来引出“某种手术”,即operate on sb for sth,这种结构可用于被动形式。
- operate, function, work
- 这三个词都有“功能”“作用”的意思。其区别在于： operate更强调成功大于结果; work暗示成功、有效; function暗示某物之目的、任务和结果。
- operate, manage, run
- She managed the shop while the owner was away.店主出门去的时候,她照管商店。
- She manages the money very well.她理财有方。
- Mr. Smith runs a grocery shop.史密斯先生经营一家杂货店。
- They ran the nurseries extremely well.他们把托儿所办得很好。
误 The doctor decided to operate the patient right away.
正 The doctor decided to operate on the patient right away.外科医生为她施行了肿瘤切除手术。
误 The surgeons operated on her a tumour.
正 The surgeons operated on her for a tumour.
析 operate作“对…施行手术,对…开刀”解时须接介词on,再接某人,即operate on sb 结构。在表达“为某人施某种手术”时,则用介词for来引出“某种手术”,即operate on sb for sth 结构。
- ☆ 1600年左右进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的operari，意为工作，劳动。