- n. 工作；职业；工作内容；职责；活计；工作所需的材料；工作地点；努力；工作成果；行为结果；作品
- v. 工作；做事；使工作；争取；管理；运行；操作；奏效；产生…影响；造成；抽搐；逐渐移动
- vt. & vi. (使)工作 (cause to) do an activity which uses effort, especially as employment
- vt. & vi. (使)运作,运转 (cause to) act in a proper way
- vt. & vi. (使)产生效果 (cause to) produce (an effect)
- [U] 工作,劳动,作业 doing or making sth
- [U] 职业,职务,工作地点 the place where you have a job
- [U] 工作成果,产品 sth that you make or do
- [C] 著作,作品 a book, painting or piece of music
- [P] 工厂 a place where people make things with machines
- [U] 功,做功 force multiplied by distance
activity directed toward making or doing something;
"she checked several points needing further work"
a product produced or accomplished through the effort or activity or agency of a person or thing;
"it is not regarded as one of his more memorable works"
"the symphony was hailed as an ingenious work"
"he was indebted to the pioneering work of John Dewey"
"the work of an active imagination"
"erosion is the work of wind or water over time"
the occupation for which you are paid;
"he is looking for employment"
"a lot of people are out of work"
applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading);
"mastering a second language requires a lot of work"
"no schools offer graduate study in interior design"
(physics) a manifestation of energy; the transfer of energy from one physical system to another expressed as the product of a force and the distance through which it moves a body in the direction of that force;
"work equals force times distance"
a place where work is done;
"he arrived at work early today"
the total output of a writer or artist (or a substantial part of it);
"he studied the entire Wagnerian oeuvre"
"Picasso's work can be divided into periods"
exert oneself by doing mental or physical work for a purpose or out of necessity;
"I will work hard to improve my grades"
"she worked hard for better living conditions for the poor"
"Is your husband working again?"
"My wife never worked"
"Do you want to work after the age of 60?"
"She never did any work because she inherited a lot of money"
"She works as a waitress to put herself through college"
have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected;
"The voting process doesn't work as well as people thought"
"How does your idea work in practice?"
"This method doesn't work"
"The breaks of my new car act quickly"
"The medicine works only if you take it with a lot of water"
perform as expected when applied;
"The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"
"Does this old car still run well?"
"This old radio doesn't work anymore"
shape, form, or improve a material;
"work stone into tools"
"work the metal"
give a workout to;
"Some parents exercise their infants"
"My personal trainer works me hard"
"work one's muscles"
"this puzzle will exercise your mind"
proceed along a path;
"work one's way through the crowd"
"make one's way into the forest"
operate in a certain place, area, or specialty;
"She works the night clubs"
"The salesman works the Midwest"
"This artist works mostly in acrylics"
proceed towards a goal or along a path or through an activity;
"work your way through every problem or task"
"She was working on her second martini when the guests arrived"
"Start from the bottom and work towards the top"
move in an agitated manner;
"His fingers worked with tension"
cause to happen or to occur as a consequence;
"I cannot work a miracle"
"play a joke"
"The rain brought relief to the drought-stricken area"
cause to work;
"he is working his servants hard"
prepare for crops;
"Work the soil"
"cultivate the land"
behave in a certain way when handled;
"This dough does not work easily"
"The soft metal works well"
have and exert influence or effect;
"The artist's work influenced the young painter"
"She worked on her friends to support the political candidate"
operate in or through;
"Work the phones"
cause to operate or function;
"This pilot works the controls"
"Can you work an electric drill?"
provoke or excite;
"The rock musician worked the crowd of young girls into a frenzy"
gratify and charm, usually in order to influence;
"the political candidate worked the crowds"
make something, usually for a specific function;
"She molded the rice balls carefully"
"Form cylinders from the dough"
"shape a figure"
"Work the metal into a sword"
move into or onto;
"work the raisins into the dough"
"the student worked a few jokes into his presentation"
"work the body onto the flatbed truck"
"work the clay until it is soft"
use or manipulate to one's advantage;
"He exploit the new taxation system"
"She knows how to work the system"
"he works his parents for sympathy"
find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of;
"did you solve the problem?"
"Work out your problems with the boss"
"this unpleasant situation isn't going to work itself out"
"did you get it?"
"Did you get my meaning?"
"He could not work the math problem"
cause to undergo fermentation;
"We ferment the grapes for a very long time to achieve high alcohol content"
"The vintner worked the wine in big oak vats"
go sour or spoil;
"The milk has soured"
"The wine worked"
"The cream has turned--we have to throw it out"
arrive at a certain condition through repeated motion;
"The stitches of the hem worked loose after she wore the skirt many times"
- She had been out of work for a year.
- It's difficult to find work in present economic climate.
- My line of work pays pretty well.
- Tell me something about your daily work.
- Police work involves so much paperwork these days.
- There is plenty of work to be done in the garden.
- She often brings work (eg files, documents) home with her from the office.
- Living near work is very convenient.
- It takes hard work to achieve success.
- It was a terrible piece of work you turned in the other day.
- The damage is clearly the work of vandals.
- Roth says official misconduct cannot be dismissed as the work of a few bad apples.
- He has read many of Hemingway's works.
- She works for an engineering company.
- He has worked in the factory since last year.
- He is working on a new novel.
- She worked herself to a frazzle.
- We must work for equal rights for everyone.
- He works a large area(= selling a company's goods, etc.).
- Your car radio works very well.
- Do you know how to work the coffee machine?
- The medicine worked.
- Your age can work against you in this job.
- The solidity of the evidence worked in his favor.
- Her exercise programme has worked miracles for her.
- Her face worked as she stared at him in terror.
- Rain has worked in through the roof.
- It will take a while for the drug to work out of your system.
- The children have all been working very well.
- That morning we worked from seven to eleven in the fields hoeing corn.
- Does this clock work?
- All the telephones don't work properly today.
- I think your suggestion will work.
- If the scheme works, most of the peasants in this area will be rich.
- She worked in the restaurant waiting on table.
- He was working hard surrounded by the crowd.
- The board had been working loose for several months, and in the end it slid to one side, showing a hole underneath.
- He works his servants long hours.
- Our mathematics teacher works us very hard.
- He didn't know how to work that toy.
- For many years he worked a large farm.
- You have certainly worked wonders.
- Owing to the precautionary measures we had taken, the typhoon did not work much damage.
- The sluices are worked from the control board.
- The silver mines are no longer worked.
- If you can work the nail loose,I could pull it out.
- The farmer worked his horse exhausted.
- Don't work yourself too tired.
- I have a lot of work to do.
- This Association does social work.
- Hard work is very beneficial.
- He never fights shy of hard work.
- We have more work than we can deal with and must farm some out.
- If you put heart and soul into the work, you wouldn't be feeling fed up with the job anyway.
- The man is looking for work.
- The manager fired Bob because he was always late for work.
- The medicine has begun to do its work.
- If you push hard against something and move it, you have done work.
- The work of this class has been falling behind recently.
- What a beautiful piece of work!
- The villagers sell their work to tourists.
- She appreciates a work of art.
- He has read The Complete Works of Lu Hsun .
- She is reading a new work on acupuncture.
- We visited No.3 Chemical Works this morning.
- There's something wrong with the works.
- He works in the Ministry of Works.
- She's devoted her life to good works.
- She is known for her good works.
- work among (v.+prep.)
在…之中工作 have a job in a group
work among sb
For the first year of his training, he had to work among the poor in his hometown.
- work around〔round〕 to (v.+adv.+prep.)
改变观点 change one's standpointI think the chairman is working around to our point of view after all.我认为主席最后会同意我们的观点。
- work as (v.+prep.)
任…工作,当… perform the duties of
work as sb/sth
It must be a hard life, working as a nurse in the Far North.
Before making a success of his writing, he worked as a taxi driver, a newspaper seller, a miner, and a railway man.
- work at (v.+prep.)
从事于,致力于 be engaged or employed inYou will have to work at the weak points in your English if you want to pass the examination.假如你想通过考试,就必须把精力放在你英语学习的薄弱环节上。
- work away (v.+adv.)
继续工作 work continuously
The professor was found working away till the small hours of the morning.
I found him working away in his office.
我发现他一直在办公室里不停地工作。work away v-ing
Even on Sundays the workshops would have many of the young workers coming in and working away mastering their machines.
- work by (v.+prep.)
以…为动力运转 go by; run by; use sth as its power for working
work by sth
The child thought the toy car worked by magic, but in fact it worked by electricity.
- work down (v.+adv.)
逐步地减少; 逐渐降低 reduce gradually
The metal has become working down over the years.
If you can get onto the branch below you, you could work down from there.
- work for (v.+prep.)
为…而工作 do a job so as to gain sthThe politician declares his willingness to work for the good of the people.那位政治家宣称他愿为公众的利益而尽力。
- work in (v.+adv.)
掺和 mixThe worker worked in a little copper with the alloy.工人在合金里搀了一点铜。
- work in with (v.+adv.+prep.)
与…合拍; 与…协调 cooperate with
work in with sb/sth
But will he be able to work in with our existing team?
I'll try to make my timetable work in with yours.
- work into (v.+prep.)
(使)进入,穿入,嵌入 (cause to) get into; insert
work into sth
The mark will have worked right into the wood, we shall never get it out.
这个标记将完全嵌入木头,我们再也取不出它了。work sb/oneself/sth into sth
Have you ever seen him work himself into a temper?
The speaker worked the crowd into a fever of excitement.
I shall need someone to help me work this board into place, it's a tight fit.
- work it
〈非正〉干成,办到 succeed in sth/doing sth
- work off (v.+adv.)
使假冒,使人对…得到错误印象 pass off
The nut has worked off.
螺帽已经脱落了。work sth ⇔ off
I can't work off the lid of this bottle, can you help me?
Paying close attention to her diet, she felt the pain in her stomach gradually work off.
她很注意饮食,因而感到自己的胃疼毛病慢慢好了。work sth ⇔ off
If anything upset him he worked his annoyance off on the rest of the family.
On that occasion there was no one on whom his temper could be worked off.
在那种场合,没有一个人是他的出气筒。work sth ⇔ off
Fifty pounds of the loan is still outstanding, but I shall have worked that off by the end of the year.50
英镑的债务还没有解决,但到年底我将做工偿清。work sth ⇔ off
He tried to work off his surplus fat by doing exercises everyday.
You should find time to work off your arrears of correspondence.
Beer works off impurities in fermenting.
啤酒在发酵过程中排除掉杂质。work sth ⇔ off
About 100,000 copies of the book have been worked off.
这书已经售出近十万册。work sth ⇔ off
The contract is worked off.
合同已经履行完毕。work sth ⇔ off
He tried to work off the poem as his own.
They can't work off that tale on us.
- work on1 (v.+adv.)
轻轻地安装好 fix on by gentle steady action
They'll work on till sunset.
他们将继续工作,直到日落。work sth ⇔ on
He managed to work the screw on.
- work on2〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
努力影响,努力说服 strive to influence or persuadeWe will work on those who have erred and help them do right.我们将对犯了错误的人做工作,并帮助他们改正。
- work oneself into
使自己惯于某项工作 get used to a job
- work out (v.+adv.)
脱出 make its way out
This problem will not work out.
这个问题解决不了。work sth ⇔ out
I haven't worked out these algebra problems.
Can you work this puzzle out?
The area can easily be worked out if you know the length and the breadth.
如果你知道长度与宽度,面积很容易计算出来。work out wh-clause
Can you work out on the map where we are now?
你能在地图上找到我们现在所在的位置吗?work out wh-to-v
I can't work out how to do it.
我不能解答怎么做它。work out at sth
The total works out at fifty-five yuan.
I am glad that things are working out so well for them.
He hopes this plan will work out.
At that time, complete emancipation of women had not worked out in actual practice.
These athletes work out at the gym for two hours every day.
这些运动员每天都要在体育馆锻炼两个小时。work sth ⇔ out
It wasn't too long before we had worked out a plan acceptable to all.
We have worked out a scheme which should save the company several thousand pounds a year.
The plan has already been worked out, and could be put into operation at a moment's notice.
计划已经设计出来并可以立即付诸实施。work sb/sth ⇔ out
He never seems to be worked out.
他好像永远不会疲乏似的。work sb ⇔ out
I can't work him out, he's very strange.
You are funny,I shall never work you out.
Jimmy worked out when he was only ten.
吉米在十岁时就离家去当雇工了。work out of sth
The splinter eventually worked out of her arm.
The screw has worked out of the joint.
- work over (v.+adv.)
彻底改变 alter radically or systematicallyThe frontier has worked him over inside.边疆生活已使他的思想起了很大变化。
- work through (v.+prep.)
闯过; 通过; 冲过 advance through sth
work through sth
The rain is working through the roof.
屋顶在漏雨。work sth through sth
It was difficult to work the needle through the stiff cloth.
把针穿过这种硬布料是不容易的。work through sth
I'm still working through this pile of papers.
We must work through the difficulties until we find an answer.
我们必须克服这些困难直到找到答案。work one's way through sth
It takes years to work your way through the examination system until you gain a degree.
She paid for her own education by working her way through college.
- work to (v.+prep.)
强迫…劳累过度 force sb or an animal to work too hard and become very tired
work to sth
See that you are careful with money and work to a budget.
Some writers are at their best when working to a plan.
一些作家按计划写作时能发挥其最高水平。work to sth
Do you like working to music?
你喜欢一边工作一边听音乐吗?work sb/sth to death
The company expects hard work, but refuses to work its employees to death.
- work together (v.+adv.)
和…在同一处工作 work with sb at the same place
Some people think that husband and wife should never work together.
- work towards (v.+prep.)
达到或获得 strive to reach or achieve
work towards sth/v-ing
Representatives of many nations at the peace talks are working towards agreement.
They are working towards having all countries sign a peace agreement.
- work under (v.+prep.)
在(某人的)领导下工作 have sb as one's director in one's jobMany men still don't like working under a woman, and would rather have a male director.许多男人仍不愿在女人手下工作,而愿意让男性当自己的上司。
- work up (v.+adv.)
增加,加强 increase in numbers or strength; improve in efficiencyShe worked up her typing speed to seventy words a minute.她把打字速度提高到每分钟70个字。
- work up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
逐步升职至 advance gradually toHe works up to the position of vice-governor.他逐步升到副总督之职。
- work with (v.+prep.)
从事…工作 go in for; be engaged in
work with sb
I find it so refreshing to work with young people in this department.
我发现和这一部门的青年一起工作令人精神振奋。work with sth
He has always liked working with machinery.
I would rather work with the bigger brush, it's faster.
我宁愿用大点的刷子干活,这样干得快些。work sth with sth
He likes working the clay with his hands.
- at work
工作中 do sth, especially work
- at work on
从事 going in for
- change one's work
换工作 exchange the work
- get on with the work
好好干活 do work hard
- go to work
开始行动 start doing sth
- in work
就业 having a job
- saddle work on〔upon〕
〈非正〉强迫(某人)接受 force acceptance of work or sb unwanted on〔upon〕 sb
- set about one's work
开始做某事 begin to do sth
- shoot the works
不遗余力,孤注一掷 risk everything on one attempt
- speed up one's work
(使)加速干活 (cause to) increase the speed of work
- work a coal mine 开采煤矿
- work a farm 经营一家农场
- work an abacus 打算盘
- work machine 操作机器
- work many changes 发生许多的变化
- work wonders 产生奇效
- work hard 努力工作
- work arduously 费力地工作
- work assiduously 专心致志地工作
- work beautifully 漂亮地工作
- work chiefly 主要地工作
- work closely 密切合作
- work confidently 自信地工作
- work conscientiously 认真地工作
- work diligently 勤勉工作
- work faithfully 忠心地工作
- work frantically 紧张地工作
- work freely 自由地工作
- work handily 方便地工作
- work heartily 全身心地工作
- work joylessly 不高兴地工作
- work laboriously 辛勤地工作
- work nervously 紧张地工作
- work nimbly 灵活地工作
- work punctually 准时地工作
- work quickly 迅速地工作
- work specially 特殊地工作
- work steadily 沉着地工作
- work strenuously 艰苦地工作
- work successfully 成功地工作
- work tirelessly 不知疲倦地工作
- work zealously 积极地工作
- work on 不停地工作
- work on till late at night 一直工作到深夜
- work out a compromise 达成妥协
- work out a mine 开发矿山
- work out a plan 制订计划
- work up (使)逐步上升
- work against 为反对…而活动
- work against the clock 争分夺秒地工作
- work at 在…方面努力
- work at social reform 从事社会改革
- work by night 夜间工作
- work for 在…工作,为…而工作
- work for a firm 在一家公司工作
- work for a living 为生活而工作
- work for peace 为和平而奋斗
- work in the interests of humanity 为人类利益而工作
- work into 激起
- work through (使)逐渐通过,穿过,完成,解决
- work one's way through a crowd 在人群中挤出来
- work one's way through college 靠打工读完大学
- work through difficult material 慢慢读完难懂的东西
- work towards 向(某目标)工作
- work towards peace 为和平而努力
- work with 跟…合作,以…做(活儿)
- work with hand 用手操作
- work with head 进行脑力劳动
- work with young people 和年轻人一起工作
- accomplish splendid work 取得优异的成绩
- arrange work for sb 为某人安排工作
- begin work 开始工作
- bring a work to a close 结束一项工作
- carry a work to its conclusion 完成一项工作
- carry on work 做工作
- come back to one's work 回来继续工作
- complete work 完成工作
- continue one's work 继续工作
- die at one's work 殉职
- do work 做工作,干工作
- find work 找到工作
- finish work 完成工作,结束工作
- get through work 完成工作
- give work to 给…提供工作
- go about one's work 着手工作,开始工作
- go to work 去上班
- handle work 处理工作
- leave work 歇工
- leave off work 中止工作
- look for work 找工作
- perform work 从事工作
- quit work 停止工作
- return to work 回去工作,重新上班
- set about one's work 着手工作,开始工作
- set to work 开始工作,着手工作
- simplify the work 简化工作
- take on work 承担工作
- want work 需要工作,要求工作
- exhibit one's works 展出自己的作品
- publish a work 出版著作
- academic work 学术工作
- administrative work 行政事务
- anti-flooding work 抗洪工作
- backbreaking work 极其繁重的体力劳动
- boring work 令人厌倦的工作
- clerical work 文书工作
- confidential work 机要工作
- copying work 抄写工作
- creative work 创造性工作
- daily work 日常工作
- delicate work 细致的工作
- demanding work 要求高的工作
- dirty work 脏活,吃力不讨好的活
- disagreeable work 令人不愉快的工作,不乐意做的工作
- domestic work 家务
- easy work 容易的工作
- educational work 教育事业
- everyday work 日常工作
- excessive work 过度的劳动
- exhausting work 令人筋疲力尽的工作
- experimental work 实验工作
- firsthand work 第一手工作
- grand-scale work 大规模工程
- hard work 艰苦的劳动
- heavy work 繁重的工作
- indoor work 室内工作
- light work 轻松的工作
- manual work 体力劳动
- medical work 医疗工作
- mental work 脑力劳动
- noble work 高尚的工作
- orderly work 有秩序的工作
- organizational work 组织工作
- outdoor work 室外工作
- outstanding work 成绩超群
- patient work 耐心的工作
- physical work 体力劳动
- pleasant work 令人愉快的工作
- political work 政治工作
- productive work 生产工作
- public work 公职
- regular work 固定的工作
- rough work 粗活
- social work 社会工作,民政工作
- splendid work 优异的成绩
- taxing work 繁重的工作
- tiring work 令人筋疲力尽的工作
- tough work 困难的工作
- undercover work 秘密工作
- useful work 有益的工作
- collected works 文集
- extinct work 遗书
- great work 伟大的作品
- handwritten work 手写本
- highly-regarded works 备受好评的著作
- historical works 历史著作
- important works 重要的著作
- latest work 最近的作品
- learned works 学术著作
- literary work 文学作品
- maiden work 处女作
- main work 主要作品
- popular work 受欢迎的作品
- published works 已出版的著作
- rare works 珍贵的作品
- recent work 新作
- representative works 代表作
- scholarly work 学术著作
- second-rate work 二流作品
- selected works 选集
- technical work 技术书籍
- valuable work 贵重的书籍
- brain work 脑力劳动
- charity work 慈善事业
- composition work 作文练习
- desk work 书写工作
- farm work 农活
- fieldwork 野外测量或考察,现场工作
- hand work 手工
- head work 脑力劳动
- laboratory work 实验室工作
- life work 一生的工作
- muscle work 体力劳动
- newspaper work 新闻工作
- night work 夜班
- paper work 文书工作
- police work 警察事务
- practice work 实习
- reconstruction work 重建工作
- relief work 救援工作
- rescue work 救援事业
- research work 研究工作
- trade-promotion work 贸易促进工作
- unemployment relief work 失业救济工作
- welfare work 福利事业
- art work 美术作品
- early period work 早期作品
- late period work 晚期作品
- middle period work 中期作品
- defence works 防御工事
- engineering works 土木工程
- foundation works 基础工程
- gas works 煤气厂
- steel works 钢铁厂
Another Work of Charity upon my hands..to reform an extravagant Husband.出自： R. Boyle
The works performed by Jesus..were beyond the unassisted powers of man.出自： R. Whately
The special work..and the rich ability with which he wrought it.出自：English Historical Review
- work, function, operate
- 这三个词都有“功能”“作用”的意思。其区别在于： operate更强调成功大于结果; work暗示成功、有效; function暗示某物之目的、任务和结果。
- work, career, job
- 1.career指的是终身事业; 而job和work却指的是人们为谋生而做的工作。
- 2.job主要指有报酬的工作; 而work可指任何需要做出努力来完成的事。
- work, chore, job, task
- task是可数名词,一般指分配的工作,也可指自愿承担的工作,尤指较困难、紧张的工作; work是不可数名词,指工作、劳动、职业、操作、运转等,这个词是一般用语,可用于各种场合; job是可数名词,指一件必须做的工作,或有报酬的工作,也可指职业,多用于口语中; chore指日常琐事,尤指家庭或农场干的杂务,家务事常用复数形式。例如:
- He goes to work at eight.他八点钟去上班。
- It takes a lot of work to build a house.盖一幢房子要费很大的工夫。
- They are paid by job.他们是按件计酬。
- I got a job with a firm.我在一家公司找到了工作。
- Each morning she would get up, do the chores, then go next door for a talk with her neighbour.每天早晨她都起来做些家务事,然后去隔壁和邻居聊天。
- works, factory, mill, plant
- factory可指各类工厂,也可指任何制造物品的地方; mill原指把原料加工成粉或浆的磨坊,现在多指轻工业或手工工厂。例如:
- There is a wood mill behind our school.我们学校后面有一家锯木厂。
- This is a power plant.这是一家发电厂。
- The iron works is outside the town.这家铁厂在城外。
- work, job, place, position
- 1.place主要指“公职”; position主要指白领阶层有身份的工作。例如:
- It's not your place to tell me what to do.你无权吩咐我做什么。
- He applied for the position of assistant manager.他申请经理助理一职。
- 2.work和job都指一般的工作。job可数,而work不可数; job是有薪酬的,而work有无报酬均可; job常指临时性的工作,而work则相对固定些; job不一定需要技术或经过训练,而work则包括体力、脑力、技术性、非技术性等所有工作,尤指需作出努力来完成的工作; job与“失业”相对, work与“休息”相对。例如:
- I have a lot of work to do this evening.今晚我有很多的工作要做。
- What time do you go to work every day?你每天几点上班?
- work, labour, toil
- He brought work home from the office.他把要做的工作从办公室带回了家。
- They had pretty hard work getting the roof of the storehouse repaired before the rain came.他们费了很大劲在下雨前将仓房顶修好。
- I have a lot of work to do.我有许多工作要做。
- This Association does social work.这个协会从事社会工作。
- After much toil the furniture was all in the moving van.经过一番劳累,家具都被搬进了搬运车。
- They spent months of toil on the water conservancy project.他们为这个水利工程辛辛苦苦地干了几个月。
- The wealth of industrial society could only come from the toil of the masses.工业社会的财富来自群众的辛勤劳动。
- He never does a lick of work.
- He never does a stroke of work.
- He never does a stitch of work.
误 They have worked hard with this subject for many years.
正 They have worked hard at this subject for many years.
析 表示“研究”“钻研”或“进行某项活动”时,可用work at,这里的at不可以用with替代。他这个月上夜班,所以他白天需要休息。
误 He is working night this month, so he needs to rest during the day.
正 He is working nights this month, so he needs to rest during the day.
析 说“上夜班”,不管上几个夜班,都是work nights,不是work night。船终于到达了港口。
误 The ship worked the way into the harbor.
正 The ship worked its way into the harbor.
析 表达“费劲地(到达某处)”时,可说work one's way。汤姆想逐步晋升成为一名销售经理。
误 Tom wants to work up to be a sales manager.
正 Tom wants to work up to being a sales manager.
析 表达“逐步晋升至(某一职位)”时,可以用work up to,这里的to是介词,不是动词不定式符号。我们每个人都必须制订一个目标,然后朝这个方向努力。
误 We must each set a goal for ourselves and work for achieving it.
正 We must each set a goal for ourselves and work towards achieving it.
析 work for表示“为…工作”,而work toward(s)表示“朝…方向或目标”努力。我用那把钥匙开门,却打不开。
误 I used the key to open the door, but it didn't succeed.
正 I used the key to open the door, but it didn't work.
误 We met with many difficulties when we worked out the new design.
正 We met with many difficulties when we worked on the new design.他一会儿就解出了这道数学题。
误 He worked on the maths problem in a short time.
正 He worked out the maths problem in a short time.
析 work on意为“从事某工作”,是一个表示延续意义的短语; 而work out意为“研究出”“制订好”,是一个表示瞬时意义的短语。
误 I cannot find a work in this town.
正 I cannot find work in this town.我有许多工作要做。
误 I have a lot of works to do.
正 I have a lot of work to do.
误 It is such unusual work of art that everyone wants to have a look at it.
正 It is such an unusual work of art that everyone wants to have a look at it.
析 work of art(艺术品)中的work作“作品”解,是可数名词,故冠词an不可省。我起床了并准备去上班。
误 I got up and got ready to go to my work.
正 I got up and got ready to go to work.
析 go to work作“上班”解,其中不插入my〔your,his〕等。同样, leave work作“下班”解,其中也不插入my〔your,his〕等。上百万人失业。
误 Millions of men are out of the work.
正 Millions of men are out of work.
析 表达“失业”用out of work, work前不可加定冠词the。同样,表达“有工作”说in work,中间也不加the。他在上海铁厂工作已有十年了。
误 He has served in the Shanghai Iron Work for ten years.
正 He has served in the Shanghai Iron Works for ten years.
误 Owing to the pressure of the work,I have to decline your kind invitation.
正 Owing to pressure of work,I have to decline your kind invitation.
析 owing to pressure of work是习惯用语, work前无定冠词the。如果你努力工作,一定会成功的。
误 You will achieve success by hard working.
正 You will achieve success by hard work.
正 You will achieve success by working hard.
析 说“努力工作”,如果用名词work,应该说hard work,这里的hard是形容词; 如果用动名词working,要说working hard,这里的hard是副词。正在工作的人多数是年轻人。
误 The people in work are mostly young men.
正 The people at work are mostly young men.
析 表示“(人)在工作”用at work,不用 in work。这个纺织厂有多少工人?
误 How many workers are there in this textile works?
正 How many workers are there in this textile mill?他们将去北京钢铁厂参观。
误 They are going to visit the Beijing Iron and Steel Mill.
正 They are going to visit the Beijing Iron and Steel Works.
析 works多指钢铁等重工业方面的工厂; mill多指纺织等轻工业方面的工厂。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的weorc，意为做过的事。
- working adj. (涉及)工作的; (人)有工作的,劳动的; 劳力的; (时间)用于工作上的; (想法等)可作为基础的; 有效用的,起作用的