- link-v. 变为,成为 come or grow to be
- vt. 适合 be well suited to
enter or assume a certain state or condition;
"He became annoyed when he heard the bad news"
"It must be getting more serious"
"her face went red with anger"
"She went into ecstasy"
undergo a change or development;
"The water turned into ice"
"Her former friend became her worst enemy"
"He turned traitor"
come into existence;
"What becomes has duration"
enhance the appearance of;
"Mourning becomes Electra"
"This behavior doesn't suit you!"
- Vast areas of land have become desert.
- You may also find that reading has become more fun than work!
- The entrepreneur has become a news figure.
- Every one cannot become businessman.
- This place has become a famous summer resort.
- This priest wants to become a bishop.
- The meeting began to become clamorous.
- I was pleased to see how peaceable the horse had become.
- The weather became warmer.
- Class distinctions have become less important during the last 50 years.
- Such behavior did not become her.
- Short hair really becomes you.
- Mr. Jones became headmaster last year.
- Naturally he became chairman of the commission.
- He became a great man.
- How did he become a statesman?
- She has become a famous scientist.
- Afterward, the boy became a very famous artist.
- We never imagined that John would become a doctor.
- I suppose she has talked to you about becoming a teacher.
- He has eventually become a folk song singer.
- Later I became a railway worker.
- He became one of the best actors on the stage.
- The boy rapidly became a man.
- It was some time before he became himself again.
- They resolved their differences and became good friends again.
- The tadpole becomes a frog.
- When water becomes solid, we call it ice.
- The battlefield became their training ground.
- The custom has now become a rule.
- The cycle of seasons becomes the year.
- His dream became a reality.
- After a decade,Dr. King's dream had not become a reality.
- I tell you, it's becoming a pretty serious problem.
- She'll soon become eighty.
- His coat has become badly torn.
- Maple leaves become red in autumn.
- The days are becoming short.
- He has become accustomed to his new duties.
- Billy soon became aware that the job was by no means easy.
- He became anxious about his own health.
- At last it became too tiring.
- The pain became intense.
- Such scenes have become quite familiar to everyone.
- She had become familiar with the house.
- I suddenly became conscious that someone was looking at me.
- Ferguson became silent.
- She became quite cheerful.
- It became clear that he was lying.
- When the masses are of one heart, everything becomes easy.
- It becomes true that the individual's own good is best secured by increasing the common wealth.
- They became dizzy with success.
- The smell became stronger and stronger.
- Our country is becoming stronger and stronger.
- After that our life became harder than ever.
- It has become much warmer.
- The wind and rain became heavier and the sky darker.
- The ground became softer after a heavy rain.
- They worked hard at their studies and became favourites of their teachers.
- Things haven't become any better lately.
- He became wiser as he got older.
- The enemy became more frantic in its death-bed struggle.
- It's becoming much more expensive to travel abroad.
- The room soon became crowded.
- Some of the land became covered with water.
- The sky became suddenly overcast with clouds.
- At last the truth became known.
- She practised so hard that her fingers became swollen.
- In less than two days his wound became infected.
- Work became more rushed, but also more exciting.
- Certain animals became trapped in the tar and died.
- He became confused.
- How did you become interested in maths?
- How did they become acquainted?
- She became influenced by these ideas.
- They are becoming more awakened with each passing day.
- Dauntless in spirit, they became steeled through hardship.
- Jamie was becoming annoyed with me.
- With the goal set, the problem became how to achieve that goal.
- Her new hat becomes her.
- Does this new dress become me?
- A white dress becomes her.
- Black becomes her well.
- This light blue sweater becomes her very well.
- This colour becomes my sister.
- This quiet old garden becomes me perfectly.
- This quiet little room became them perfectly.
- These words do not become a person in your position.
- He used language that does not become a man of his education.
- Such words do not become a gentleman.
- It would not become you to praise yourself.
- It doesn't become you to speak like that.
- It does not become a good boy to tell a lie.
- It would ill become you to complain.
- It does not become a senior pupil to cause all these troubles.
- We should become one to put our work forward.
- Everything becomes a pretty face.
- become of (v.+prep.)
发生; 结果是 happen to, often in a bad way
become of sb/sth
What has become of your beautiful piano?
What became of John after he left school?
What became of her son?
I don't know what has become of him.
I wonder what became of the others.
I don't know what will become of the children if their father dies.
I don't know what will become of the boy if he keeps failing his examinations.
What will become of those refugees?
What is to become of me if you go away?
Little Tom is lost and no one knows what has become of him.
Whatever became of that large suitcase we had?Did we give it to a friend?
- become with (v.+prep.)
与…打成一片 be a number of
become one with sb/sth
The army must become one with the people.
Now Xian Xinghai felt he had truly become one with the masses in thought and feeling.
- become abstracted 变得心不在焉
- become accustomed to sth 习惯于某事
- become acquainted 变得熟悉
- become acute 变尖锐
- become angry 发怒
- become annoyed 变得生气
- become better and better 变得越来越好
- become confused (变得)混淆起来
- become crowded 变得拥挤
- become excited 兴奋起来
- become infected 受感染
- become interested in... 对…开始感兴趣
- become intoxicated 变得陶醉
- become known 成名
- become mixed 使混合
- become nervous 紧张起来
- become poor 变贫穷
- become quiet 变得安静
- become rich 变富有
- become silent 变得默默无言
- become steady 变得坚定
- become tired 变疲倦
- become a doctor 成为医生
- become a drunkard 酒鬼
- become a famous man 成为名人
- become a political centre 成为政治中心
- become a rule 变成规则
- become a statesman 成为政治家
- become a teacher 成为教师
- become an artist 成为艺术家
- become an engineer 成为工程师
- become an expert 成为专家
- become reality 成为现实
- become ill 不合适
- become soon 很快变成
- become eventually 终于成为
- become lively 活跃起来
- become perfectly 十分合适
- become rapidly 迅速成为
- become undoubtedly 肯定成为
Houses so full of Glasse, that one cannot tell, where to become, to be out of the Sunne.出自： Bacon
- become of只能与疑问代词what(ever)连用,用于直接或间接疑问句中,表示“变得怎样”,后接人或有形的东西,多用于完成时或将来时。
- become, be
- 1.become是非延续性动词,不可与表示延续性的时间状语连用; 而be则是延续性动词,可表示状态,能与表示延续性的时间状语连用。
- 2.become不可用于被动结构; 而be则可用于被动结构。
- 3.become不可接动词不定式; 而be则可接动词不定式。
- become, come, go, grow, turn
- 1.come多指向好的方向转变; go往往指向坏的方面转变; become指向好的(也可指向坏的)方面发展, turn是正式用语,指向好的,也指向坏的方面转变。试比较:
- When did that style of dress come into fashion?
- When did that style of dress go out of fashion?
- 2.come的主语往往是人; become的主语可以是人或物; 而go的主语多是物。
- 3.come的表语通常是形容词; become的表语可以是形容词、代词或名词(须加不定冠词); go和grow的表语为形容词; turn的表语可以是形容词或名词(不加不定冠词)。
- become, go
- 1.当表示人们感情上的变化时,通常用become; 指人的身体上的变化时,可用go或become。例如:
- He became aware of the gravity of the situation.他开始意识到情况的严重性。
- She became〔went〕 mad.她疯了。
- His mother became〔went〕 blind. 他母亲双目失明了。
- The milk went sour.牛奶变酸了。
- Fish soon goes bad in hot weather.热天鱼很快会坏。
- He has become accustomed to his new duties.他对他的新职务已习惯了。
- become, alter, change, convert, modify, turn, vary
- Whatever we do, we can't change〔alter〕 the facts.不管我们做什么,我们总不能改变事实。
- He has changed〔altered〕 a lot since I last saw him.自从上次见面到现在,他变了很多。
- The weather changes〔alters〕 almost daily.天气差不多天天在变。
- 1.change在这几个词中是最普遍、最不正式的一个,可用于任何变化的过程,而不论变化的性质和程度; alter指局部的、表面的、轻微的“改变”“改动”,修改后仍基本上保持原状; alter和convert都指形式和用途上的局部微小改变; turn指彻底改变,以至面目全非,且常用于朝坏的方向改变; modify指限定在一定范围内的修改或修饰,以使之更完美; vary则指事物或其一部分暂时地或反复地变化,从而使事物各部分呈现不同外貌和特点。例如:
- When matter changes to a substance different from what it was, the change is a chemical change.当物质变成和原来不同的物质时,这种变化是化学变化。
- The plan is O.K. at large, but I suggest it be altered.该计划总的来说是可以的,但我建议做进一步修改。
- Pressure varies directly with temperature and inversely with volume.压力随温度成正比例变化,与容积成反比例变化。
- All the bank bill was converted into cash.所有的银行票据都兑换成了现金。
- Those who were once for him have turned against him.那些原来支持他的人现在转而反对他。
- The newspaper turned against the president.该报转而攻击总统。
- After he left the university, he became a teacher, but he later turned to translation.他大学毕业后当了教师,但后来转向翻译工作。
- 2.convert可指改变信仰,尤其是宗教信仰; modify指态度变温和。例如:
- He has converted from Buddhism to Catholicism.他已放弃佛教改信天主教了。
- You'd better modify your tone.你最好缓和一下你的口气。
- He will have to modify his views if he wants to be elected.他如果想当选,就得把观点变得明朗些。
- become, turn into
- become着重目前状态; turn into着重改变用途。例如:
- The storeroom has become a workshop.
- The storeroom has been turned into a workshop.
误 She became to like swimming.
正 She began to like swimming.妇女们正在变得更加独立自主。
误 Women are becoming to be more independent.
正 Women are becoming more independent.
误 What has become to him lately?
正 What has become of him lately?
析 become of表示“…怎么样”,是习语,此处的of不能用to替代。该货变成畅销货将近一年了。
误 This product has become a best seller for nearly one year.
正 This product has been a best seller for nearly one year.他当了两年技术员。
误 He has become a technician for two years.
正 He became a technician two years ago.
正 It is two years since he became a technician.
误 These similarities made them become close friends.
正 These similarities made them close friends.
误 She was become as white as a sheet.
正 She became as white as a sheet.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的becuman，意为发生；最初源自古日耳曼语的bikweman，意为变成。