- vt. & vi. 赌博; 冒风险 play games of change for money; take great risks for the chance of winning sth
- [C]赌博,打赌; 投机,冒险 act of gambling; undertaking with a risk of loss and a chance of profit
money that is risked for possible monetary gain
a risky act or venture
take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome;
"When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
play games for money
- He spends all his time gambling in the casino.
- He gambled all his winnings on the last race.
- I wouldn't gamble on the weather being fine.
- Drive carefully and don't gamble with your life.
- You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.
- The gamble paid off.
- I bet that he has lost all his money in the gamble.
- The company took a gamble by cutting the price of their products.
- Setting up this business is a bit of a gamble .
- He gambles when he is in cash.
- When he had gambled his money, he was put to shifts to live.
- He gambled his savings to start a small store.
- The Federal government gambled hundreds of thousands of dollars in research funds to work on the project.
- Their house and land were all gambled and lost by her husband that morning.
- I gambled that they wouldn't shoot.
- Setting up this business was a bit of a gamble.
- The operation may succeed, and it may not; it's a bit of a gamble.
- gamble away (v.+adv.)
赌博输掉钱 lose money by playing cards or other games for money
The men have been gambling away all night.
那些人赌了整整一夜。gamble sth ⇔ away
The foolish man gambled away all his money.
His father left him a fortune, but he gambled it away.
It is too easy to gamble away a fortune.
- gamble on (v.+prep.)
在…上冒风险或碰运气 take a chance on; be sure of sth, or sb doing sth
gamble on sth
He gambled heavily on the horses.
He gambled on the manager's support.
Are you going to gamble on the result of the boxing match?
They gambled on the result of a race.
他们为比赛的结果打赌。gamble sth on sth
He gambled all his winning on the last race.
他把所有赢得的钱都押在最后一场比赛上。gamble on sth
He may accept the invitation, but I wouldn't gamble on it.
It's not safe to gamble on the train arriving late.
You can't gamble on the weather in England.
I prepared to gamble on the possibility of finding empty seats at the theatre.
剧院中可能会找到空位,我准备去碰碰运气。gamble on v-ing
Don't gamble on getting the job.
He can not gamble on offending his boss.
- gamble with (v.+prep.)
以…冒险 risk with sth
gamble with sth
Drive carefully and don't gamble with your life.
Don't gamble with your future.
- take a gamble (on)
赌博; 冒险而为play games of chance, etc. for money; act in the hope of sth being successful, true, etc. despite the risk of loss
- gamble everything 什么都赌
- gamble at cards 赌纸牌
- gamble in oil shares 做石油股票投机
- gamble on 在…上进行赌博〔打赌〕
- gamble on horse races 买跑马票赌博
- gamble on the result of the contest 对比赛结果打赌
- gamble on the stock exchange 进行股票投机
- gamble oneself out of home 赌得倾家荡产
- gamble with one's future 用自己的前途冒险
- take a gamble 赌博,冒险
- on a gamble 碰运气
The real point is the chance, the uncertainty, the gamble.出自： G. Saintsbury
When they played cards, they always gambled.出自： D. H. Lawrence
The British government had..decided to gamble that Japan would remain neutral.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
He gambled on the horses.出自： F. Raphael
- gamble用作名词的意思是“赌博; 冒险”,转化为动词意思是“赌博,打赌”“投机”“冒风险”。
- gamble后接on表示“就…赌博”或“在…投机”; 接with表示“以…孤注一掷或冒险”。
- gamble, bet, wager