- [S]后部,反面 part or surface of an object that is furthest from the front; part that is less used, less visible or less important
- [C]背,背部 rear part of the human body from the neck to the buttocks
- [C]椅背 part of a chair against which a seated person's back rests; part of a garment covering the back
- vt. & vi. (使)后退,(使)倒退 (cause to) go backward
- vt. 支持 support
- [A]后边的 situated behind
- [A]过去的,过期的 of or for a past time
- [A]迟交的,欠交的 owed for a time in the past; overdue
- [A]后元音的 (of a vowel) formed at the back of the mouth
- 往后,在后面 towards or at the rear; away from the front or centre
- 控制住,忍住 under control
- 恢复; 上溯 in an earlier position, condition or stage; into the past
- 回报 in return
- the posterior part of a human (or animal) body from the neck to the end of the spine;
"his back was nicely tanned"
- the side that goes last or is not normally seen;
"he wrote the date on the back of the photograph"
- the part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer;
"he stood at the back of the stage"
"it was hidden in the rear of the store"
- (football) a person who plays in the backfield
- the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord;
"the fall broke his back"
- the protective covering on the front, back, and spine of a book;
"the book had a leather binding"
- the part of a garment that covers the back of your body;
"they pinned a `kick me' sign on his back"
- a support that you can lean against while sitting;
"the back of the dental chair was adjustable"
- (American football) the position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage
- related to or located at the back;
"the back yard"
"the back entrance"
- located at or near the back of an animal;
"back (or hind) legs"
"the hinder part of a carcass"
- of an earlier date;
"back issues of the magazine"
- in or to or toward a former location;
"she went back to her parents' house"
- at or to or toward the back or rear;
"he moved back"
"tripped when he stepped backward"
"she looked rearward out the window of the car"
- in or to or toward an original condition;
"he went back to sleep"
- in or to or toward a past time;
"set the clocks back an hour"
"never look back"
"lovers of the past looking fondly backward"
- in reply;
"he wrote back three days later"
- in repayment or retaliation;
"we paid back everything we had borrowed"
"he hit me and I hit him back"
"I was kept in after school for talking back to the teacher"
- be behind; approve of;
"He plumped for the Labor Party"
"I backed Kennedy in 1960"
- travel backward;
"back into the driveway"
"The car backed up and hit the tree"
- give support or one's approval to;
"I'll second that motion"
"I can't back this plan"
"endorse a new project"
- cause to travel backward;
"back the car into the parking spot"
- support financial backing for;
"back this enterprise"
- be in back of;
"My garage backs their yard"
- place a bet on;
"Which horse are you backing?"
"I'm betting on the new horse"
- shift to a counterclockwise direction;
"the wind backed"
- establish as valid or genuine;
"Can you back up your claims?"
- strengthen by providing with a back or backing
- Three people can sit in the back of this car.
- It encouraged him to talk because his back had stiffened in the night and it hurt truly now.
- You'll make your back ache if you carry those heavy buckets.
- John plays back in the team.
- I'll back you up no matter what's happening.
- I found no evidence to back your interpretation.
- You'll have to back the car up into the garage.
- He refused to back away from his position.
- Stand back! You're stepping on my toes.
- The kangaroo uses its back legs to jump.
- I bought some back issues of science magazines yesterday.
There used to be a big and beautiful garden at the back of their house.
There is a lot of useful information at the back of this dictionary.
The last time I bought from a market trader I was given rotten fruit from the back of the pile.
I've got a sore place in my back.
He likes sitting in the back of the class.
Some fishes have gills on the back.
There is a bird on the back of a piece of cloth.
You write the address on the front of an envelope, not on the back of it.
I am afraid my report for the past year is not a very cheerful one, it is the story of one calamity on the back of another.
The little boy was dozing with his back against the chair.
Did you paint the back of the bookcase?
My home lies back of the school.
One of the backs was hurt in the match.
The horse backed suddenly.
Don't back off.
I hope you will back my thought.
Can you back your story with facts?
You could back the dress with silk.
All our books have now been backed.
On the back wall there is a map of China.
He came through the back door.
Does the back door have a lock on it?
He sat in a back seat in the car.
There is something wrong with the back wheels of the truck.
He clawed his way up from the back streets of Glasgow.
The war is all back history now, and our two countries are good friends.
He owed three months' back rent.
The crowd fell back to let the fire engine through.
Our army forced the enemy to fall back.
I bent back too far and hurt my neck.
I hope you'll never change back from the person you have recently become.
Students have no way of getting back at a teacher who marks their work unfairly.
The sight of the garden bears back the days when we lived in Paris.
It was he who bore back the latest news.
He will be back before the month is out.
He is sure to be back soon.
I shall be back this evening.I'm not sure what train.
After a year in the hospital, he's back in circulation.
That smell of freshly baked bread carries me back!
May I borrow your pen?I'll bring it back tomorrow.
Don't bend the book back, you'll damage it.
Would you carry the chairs back into the house for me?
- at the back of
作为…背后的原因 ultimately responsible
After a long time the police discovered the man at the back of the famous robbery. 经过很长的时间,警察发现此人就是那桩有名的抢劫案的背后主使者。
You are at the back of all our difficulties. 我们的一切困难都是你造成的。
Could you feel anything at the back of it? 你感到这里有点名堂吗?
The people are at the back of the reformers. 人民支持改革家。
- 作为…背后的原因 ultimately responsible
- at the back of mind
在内心中 in one's thoughts, but without being of immediate or central concern
The issue has been lingering at the back of my mind for a long time. 长期以来这个问题一直在我的脑海里萦绕。
The idea of writing a book slowly grew at the back of his mind. 写书的想法在他的思想深处慢慢地成熟起来。
I have an idea at the back of my mind that I met him at a conference about two years ago. 我模糊记得大约两年前在一次会议上见过他。
I think I shall sell this house and buy a smaller one,I have had it at the back of my mind for some time. 我想要把这房子卖掉,买一栋小一点的,我有这想法已有一段时间了,但不肯定。
- 在内心中 in one's thoughts, but without being of immediate or central concern
- back be to the wall
处于绝境 in difficulties with no retreat
They made more than ten objections but William overcame them all; he always fights best when his back's to the wall. 他们提出了十多条反对的理由,但是威廉把它们全都驳倒了,他处于绝境时最能争斗。
Their backs are to the wall.If they don't find another creditor, they will go bankrupt. 他们的处境困难,如果找不到另一个贷款的人,他们就要破产。
- 处于绝境 in difficulties with no retreat
- back to back
背靠背 back against back
She arranged the chairs in two rows, placed back to back. 她把椅子背靠背地摆成两排。
- 背靠背 back against back
- back to front
前后颠倒 with the back placed where the front should be
Your pullover is on back to front. 你的套头毛衣前后穿反了。
The windows had rude words written in the grime outside, which Mrs. Rober could read back to front as she sat and rocked the baby. 窗子外面有用灰写的下流话,罗珀太太坐着摇婴孩可以从反面看到。
- 前后颠倒 with the back placed where the front should be
- back to the drawing-board
一切从头再来 restarting from the beginning
The furniture won't all fit in that way so I am afraid it's back to the drawing-board. 那样摆设的话,这套家具就不能全放进去,因此我想只好从头再来。
They didn't like our first suggestion much, so we said,“Ah, well, back to the drawing-board.” 他们不大喜欢我们最初的一些建议。因此,我们说:“啊,好啦。一切从头来吧!”
- 一切从头再来 restarting from the beginning
- be on one's back
依靠某人 depend on sb
Tamkin would get through his crisis, too, and bring him,Wilhelm, to safety also.And Wilhelm realized that he was on Tamkin's back. 塔姆金也会设法渡过这场危机,同时也会把他,威海姆,带到安之全地。威海姆也意识到他须依赖塔姆金。
取笑〔烦扰〕某人 annoy, hinder or persecute sb
She was always on his back, nagging him from morning to night to move to a quieter district. 她总是烦扰他,从早到晚唠叨不停地要他搬到安静一点的地区去。
- 依靠某人 depend on sb
- behind one's back
背着某人 without sb's knowledge or consent
We should not speak ill of a man behind his back. 我们不该在背后讲别人的坏话。
I think we should wait till he arrives; I don't like criticizing people behind their backs. 我认为我们应该等他来,我不爱背后批评人。
- 背着某人 without sb's knowledge or consent
- break the back of
解决了最艰难的部分 finish the more or most difficult part of sth
I should break the back of this piece of the work by this weekend. 到这个周末我应该完成这件工作中最艰巨的部分。
I finally broke the back of the problem. 我终于解决了这个问题最艰难的部分。
- 解决了最艰难的部分 finish the more or most difficult part of sth
- get on sb's back
找某人的麻烦 persecute sb
Even since she came to stay, your mother has been getting on my back, telling me how to do things and making unkind remarks. 自从你母亲到这儿来住,她就一直找我的麻烦,告诉我该怎样做事,说一些刺耳的话。
- 找某人的麻烦 persecute sb
- like the back of a bus
She has a nice figure but she's got a face like the back of a bus. 她的身材很好,但是她的脸很难看。
- 难看的,丑陋的 ugly
- like the back of one's hand
She knows the layout of the back streets like the back of her hand. 她对那些偏僻的街道了如指掌。
- 熟悉 intimately
- pat on the back
对…表示赞扬 praise pat sb/oneself on the back
It can be very embarrassing to have to listen to someone patting you on the back in public.不得已而需要在大庭广众之下听人赞扬自己会使你很窘。
Her performance wasn't so wonderful—I don't know what cause she has to pat herself on the back.她的表演并不怎么精彩——我不知道她有什么理由自鸣得意。
The first minutes of his speech consisted mainly of patting himself on the back.他发言的前几分钟主要是自吹自擂。
- 对…表示赞扬 praise pat sb/oneself on the back
- put one's back into
竭尽全力 make a strenuous effort
They put their backs into the work and finished it in half an hour. 他们全力以赴地干,半小时就完成了这项工作。
If you really put your back into it, you should be able to finish repairing the roof by tonight. 如果你真正全力以赴地干,到今天晚上,你就能把屋顶修好。
- 竭尽全力 make a strenuous effort
- stay on sb's back
纠缠 be in a tangle
These sergeants stay on my back how I stand in the line, how I hold my gun, how I salute, how I walk, everything.I can't do anything right. 这几位中士纠缠我,指导我该怎样站队列,怎样持枪,怎样敬礼,怎样走,样样都不放过我。我一样都做得不对。
- 纠缠 be in a tangle
- turn one's back on
不理睬 not pay attention to
She turned her back on him. 她不理睬他。
I appealed to my father for help, but he turned his back on me. 我向父亲求援,可是他不肯帮忙。
The unions have turned their backs on the employer's latest offer of talks and the argument over pay continues. 工会对雇主最新提出的建议置之不理,关于工资的争议还在继续。
背弃 abandon; deliberately ignore
He has turned his back on his past way of life. 他脱离了过去的生活方式。
He turned his back on his family when he became famous. 他成名以后就背弃了家庭。
- 不理睬 not pay attention to
- you scratch my back and I will scratch yours
为了与己方便而给某人以方便; 投之以桃,报之以李 you do me a favour and I will do you one in return
If you give me a hand clearing the rubbish from my garden I will help you to paint your house—you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. 如果你帮助我把这些垃圾从我的花园清除出去,我会帮你粉刷房子——投桃报李嘛!
- 为了与己方便而给某人以方便; 投之以桃,报之以李 you do me a favour and I will do you one in return
- back away( v.+adv. )
为了让出地方而后退,由于害怕而后退 move to allow space, in fear, etc. back away
The crowd backed away to let the wounded man pass through.人群向后退,让受伤的人通过。back away from sth
The child backed away from the fierce dog.那孩子害怕那只恶狗,直往后退。
不愿考虑 be unwilling to consider an idea back away from sth
I could see she was backing away from the idea.我看得出来她不愿考虑这一意见。
- 为了让出地方而后退,由于害怕而后退 move to allow space, in fear, etc. back away
- back down ( v. + adv. )
退让,退回去,撤销(要求等) accept defeat in an argument, opinion, or claim; admit that one was wrong back down
I saw that she was right, so I had to back down.我看到她是正确的,所以我只好放弃原来的主张。
- 退让,退回去,撤销(要求等) accept defeat in an argument, opinion, or claim; admit that one was wrong back down
- back into( v. + prep. )
(使)倒进… (cause to) move back into sth back into sth
Be careful when you back into the garage, the doorway is very narrow.你把车倒入车库时要小心,门道很窄。back sth into sth
Next you must learn how to back a car into a parking space.下一步你应该学会如何把车倒入停车的空地。
- (使)倒进… (cause to) move back into sth back into sth
- back onto( v. + prep. )
后面是,背靠着 be near to or have at the back back onto sth
Our house backs onto a piece of woodland.我们的房屋后面是一块林地。
We chose this house because the garden backs onto the tennis courts.我们选择这一住宅是因为它的花园背靠着网球场。
- 后面是,背靠着 be near to or have at the back back onto sth
- back out( v. + adv. )
不遵守(诺言、合同等),改变主意 fail to fulfil a promise, contract, etc.; change an idea back out
I hope I can depend on you not to back out at the last moment.我希望能信赖你不至于在最后关头撒手不干。
Please don't try to back out now that everything's been arranged.既然一切都已安排妥当,请不要试图改变主意。
You said you would go; you can't back out now.你答应要去,你不能食言啊!back out of sth
He would like to back out of the contract, but we can't allow it.他想取消这个合同,但是我们不能答应。
- 不遵守(诺言、合同等),改变主意 fail to fulfil a promise, contract, etc.; change an idea back out
- back up( v. + adv. )
支持 support especially in an argument back sb/sth ⇔ up
The policeman wouldn't have believed me if you hadn't backed me up.如果当时没有你的支持,警察是不会相信我的。
He backed up his arguments with facts.他以事实支持自己的论点。
堵塞 fill with people, cars, etc., so that movement is difficult or impossible back sth ⇔ up
The flood water from the storm backed up the pipes.暴雨引起的洪水堵塞了管道。
往后退 go backward back up
You'll have to back up and turn around.你将不得不往后退并转身。
复制 make a copy of back sth ⇔ up
Make sure you back up the disk before you turn the computer off.在你关机之前要确定磁盘已存档。
- 支持 support especially in an argument back sb/sth ⇔ up
- take a back seat
居于次要的地位; 知趣靠边 adopt an inconspicuous position or role
At these discussions he always takes a back seat and listens to the others talking. 在这些讨论中,他总是退在后面,倾听别人谈话。
It's about time you took a back seat and let your son run the business. 你该退居二线了,让你儿子来经营吧。
After forty years in the business it's time for me to take a back seat and make room for younger men and new ideas. 我在这一行干了40年,现在该退居二线,让位给青年人和新思想了。
- 居于次要的地位; 知趣靠边 adopt an inconspicuous position or role
- through the back door
走后门,通过不正当的秘密途径 in an unofficial way; indirectly
They were so involved with the main issues that I was able to slip through the back door. 他们都深深地卷入了对重要问题的讨论,这样才使得我通过后门得以摆脱。
- 走后门,通过不正当的秘密途径 in an unofficial way; indirectly
- answer back
- back and forth
来回地 from one place to another and back again repeatedly
I spend more than three hours a day going back and forth to the office. 我每天上下班途中要花三个多小时。
The wind moved the twigs gently back and forth. 风吹得树枝轻轻地来回摇晃。
- 来回地 from one place to another and back again repeatedly
- get one's own back
报复have one's revenge
He tricked me this time but I'll get my own back (on him) one day. 这次他骗了我，可是我有一天要(向他)报复。
- 报复have one's revenge
- go back on one's word
- hold back
- keep back
- pay back
- there and back
往返,来回 to a place and back again
Can I go there and back in one day? 我能够一天打来回吗?
- 往返,来回 to a place and back again
- break one's back 拼命干,尽最大努力
- break the back of sth 完成某事最艰难的部分
- get sb's back up 触怒某人
- get off sb's back 不再找某人的麻烦
- give sb one's back 不理睬某人
- have one's back to the wall 陷入绝境
- lean one's back against the wall 以背靠墙
- put one's back into sth 孜孜不倦地做某事
- see the back of 赶走,撵走
- sit in the back 坐在后面
- turn one's back on 对…掉头不顾,轻视
- at sb's back 幕后支持
- at the back 在后部
- at the back of one's mind 在脑中酝酿
- behind sb's back 瞒着某人
- from the back 从后面
- in the back (of) 在(…的)后部
- in the back of the book 书后的附录中
- in the back of one's mind 下意识地,潜意识地
- lie on one's back 仰卧
- on one's back 仰天而卧,用背驮
- on the back of a magazine 杂志的封底上
- back agilely 机敏地支持
- back consistently 一贯支持
- back contemptuously 傲慢地支持
- back deliberately 故意支持
- back discreetly 谨慎地支持
- back strongly 坚决支持
- back down 退出
- back off 后退,放弃
- back out 不遵守
- back up 支持,堵塞,后退
- back against 面对,反对
- back by sb's influence 在某人权势的支持下
- back away from 从…避开
- back into the garage 倒进车库
- back onto 背朝着
- back through the gate 倒出大门
- back dress with silk 用绸布做衣服衬里
- answer back 反驳，回嘴，顶嘴；还击
- bite back 很快忍住说出(秘密或冒犯他人的话)
- blink back one's tears 用眨眼来抑制泪水
- bounce back (失意后)恢复，回升
- bring back 带回；归还；使回忆起；恢复
- bring back to health 使恢复健康
- bring back to life 使恢复生命
- call back 回电话；叫回
- carry...back (to) 使回想起
- choke back 忍住，抑制
- claim back (from) 要求收回，索回
- come back 回来；又流行起来；恢复记忆；想起来；(指制度、法律)恢复
- cut back 修剪；缩减
- date back to 追溯到
- double back (为躲避追捕)原路返回；折叠起来，对折
- draw back (from) 引开，拉开，缩回；撤回，取消；(比赛中)超越
- drive back 迫使…后退；驾车返回
- drop back 落后；后撤
- fall back 后退，退却
- fall back on〔upon〕 求助于，依赖
- feed back (to) 反馈回…
- fold back 折叠，折起
- get back 回来，回到；失而复得；取回，恢复原位；对…报复
- get back into circulation 重新恢复正常生活
- get back into harness 病愈后重新工作
- get back to 返回
- give back 归还；恢复(视力、自由等)；反射出，照出
- go back on (one's word) 背弃；食言
- go back to 返回，归还，退回；重做某事，重操旧业；(冬令制)把钟表调回；追溯，时光返回到
- hand back (to) 交还；物归原主
- hang back 犹豫；退缩
- have back 收回(被借走、偷走等之)某物；允许(分手的配偶等)返回
- hold back 阻止前进；控制；抑制；(由于谨慎、害怕而)犹豫，踌躇；保留，扣住(不发表)，保密
- keep back (from) 保持一定距离，克制住，挡住；隐瞒住，不让知道；扣留；留住；不付
- lie back 往后靠坐；放松
- look back (on) 回顾
- pay back 归还；还清；报复
- play back 放，放送(唱片、磁带等)
- pull back 撤退，撤回
- push back 逼迫；使撤退；把…推回原处
- put...back 把…放回原处；倒拨时钟；使(日期)推迟；放慢；延迟；阻止
- put the clock back 倒行逆施；开倒车
- read...back 读出(信息内容等)以供核对
- refer...back (to) (将文件等)退回、交回给…予以某种处理；重新提及
- report back (to) 归来报到；作调查汇报
- ring back 再打电话；回电话
- roll back (使)卷起来；把(录音带等)卷回；(浪潮)退落；撤退，击退；(过去的时光)返回
- run back 倒卷，倒回(影片、录音带等)
- run back over 回顾；再次审议
- send back (因不满意)送回，退还(商品或饭菜)
- set back 耽误，阻碍进展；使…破费；使(建筑物)坐落在离开…一定的距离
- settle back 安坐在椅子里
- shrink back (from) (由于害怕)畏缩；退缩
- sit back 在一旁闲着，袖手旁观
- spring back 弹回
- stand back 位于离…有一段距离的地方；保持距离以便更好地理解或判断；拒绝介入；退出
- step back 后退
- take back 使回来；归来；同意接受退货；重新任命被解职者；收回，撤回
- take sb back (to) 使某人回想起
- talk back 回嘴，顶嘴
- think back on 回想，回忆
- think back to 回想，回忆
- throw back 扔回；揭去，拉开；阻击，耽误，击退；(责备地)向…重提
- throw back on 迫使…依靠
- trace back (to) 追溯；回溯
- turn back (使)折回，往回走
- whip back 迅速返回或弹回
- win back 赢回，夺回
- wind back (磁带)倒带；(胶卷)倒卷
Down his back from his mane to his tail went a line of black.出自：O. Henry
She stood with her back against the door feeling the brass handle press against a bone in her spine.出自：A. Schlee
A small flat back claw, or toe.出自：J. Ray
Coming unexpectedly from a back parlour into the shop.出自：L. Sterne
A little morocco box, which..contained the Major's back teeth.出自：Thackeray
The bomber..might have to travel only 50 miles..to the back areas of the German Army to bomb dumps.sssss J. le Carr&eacusc;出自：E. C. Shepherd
They sat over a pot of tea in the back kitchen.出自：F. Forsyth
The ashler walls were backed..with rubble stone, or with bricks.出自：J. Smeaton
The angel of the Lord rolled back the stone.出自：Bible (AV): Matthew
Back, beardless boy! Back, minion!出自：Sir W. Scott
I sort of brushed my hair back with my hand.出自：J. D. Salinger
Looking back when at the gate.出自：P. Porter
again同back的意思相近，但用法不同：back与动词连用时，作为副词，常指退回到前一个状态，或是从与之前相反的状态返回去，而again不可这样用。again与动词连用时，表示“重复，再一次”。注意sell back和sell again的不同，前者是卖回给同一个人，后者是再次卖，卖给不同的人。当动词本身指“退回，返回”的意思时，不可再用back，而可以用again加强“退回，返回”的意思。在副词+动词+介词结构中，back和again都表示“回到上一状态”。
Give me my watch back.(NOT Give me my watch again.)
Can you play it again?
The bike you sold me is too small.
Can I sell it back to you?
If we buy this house and then have to move somewhere else, how easy will it be to sell it again?
Stefan can never return to his country (again).
I stood up, and then I sat (back) down (again).
Take back your money.
Count the money again, please.(NOT Count again the money.)
- back and forth，backwards and forwards以及to and fro意思相似，美国人常用第一种表达方式，而英国人习惯用后两种表达方式；
- back of同in back of有“在……后面”的意思，美国人常用，前者比后者使用普遍；
- back有时指“拖欠着的”，常见的搭配有back pay/salary（欠薪），back rent（欠租），back taxes（欠税）等；
- 注意as far back as the fifteenth century中第2个as后没有in。
- back作“后面”“背面”“反面”解时用单数形式,其前须加定冠词the。在表示较近的“后面,背面”时用on the back of；在表示较远的“后面”时用at the back of(范围之外)或in the back of(范围之内)，在美式英语中at〔in〕可省略。
- back常修饰动态动词(如不及物动词go, come, get,及物动词bring, get, take等),在句中作状语,也可用作表语。
- back和be连用可引申表示“恢复”; back和beat, hit, fight等动词连用可表示“打退”。
- at the back of, in the back of
这两个短语的意思相近,都是“在…后面”的意思。其区别在于:1.at the back of指在某地方之外的后面部分; in the back of的意思是指在某地方之内的后面部分。2.at the back of也可引申为“支持”“在…印象中”,而in the back of没有此义。
- turn one's back on, turn one's back to
两者不同义,前者含有轻蔑的感情色彩,而后者没有这种色彩。例如:In the old society, the rich always turned their back on the poor.在旧社会,富人总是瞧不起穷人。But Jack has turned his back to the trouble over it.可杰克并不把这件麻烦事放在心里。
- Stand back, please.
- Stand behind, please.
- We all wish to see her back.
- We all wish to see the back of her.
- back away, back off
这两个短语的共同意思是“后退”,一般说可以互换,特别是指“因害怕而后退”。而在表示“后退(让出地方)”时,含义略有差异, back away强调目的,即“为让出地方而后退”,而back off则强调结果,即“因后退而让出了地方”。
- back down, back off
- back out, go back on
这两个短语都有“言而无信”之意。其区别在于：1.back out指主体违背或撤销其过去一度许下的诺言，或从所承担的义务、所参与的计划中撤出来；而go back on仅指“食言”，即说话不算数。2.back out后可接of或from短语说明失信的具体内容；go back on后可接to短语或动词不定式说明具体的对象。3.go back on直接接sb时往往含“不忠”或“出卖”的意思，而back out无此意义及用法。
- back, champion, support
这组词的共同意思是“支持”。它们的区别在于:back多指给予物质或道义上的资助,有“作后台”的意味; support指支撑重量或作为支柱或给予需要的力量,以防某人或某物跌倒或陷下; 而champion则指支持他人或某项运动而去奋斗、辩论或演说。例如:Don't worry. I will back you up.不要忧虑,我支持你。The teammates supported the injured player.队友扶着那受伤的球员。We champion a just cause.我们支持正义的事业。
- back, backwards
- back, behind
这两个词都有“在…之后”的意思。其区别在于:behind是介词,指在某物或某时间之后; back是副词,与另外的物〔时间〕无关。例如:But communications were back to normal this morning.但是今天上午通讯恢复了正常。I want no monkey business behind my back.我不准任何人背着我捣鬼。
- be back, come back, get back, go back, return
这组词(组)都可表示“回去”。其区别是：return与其他词相比有些书卷气; come back的意思是“回归”“回来”,指回到说话人所在的地方; go back指回到出发点,是一种非正式说法,常用于口语中; get back是回到原来的出发点; be back意为“回来了”,表示状态,是日常应用最广的非正式说法。例如:Did Duff come back?—Yes, he came back.达夫回来了吗?是的,他回来了。Now let's go back to the beginning of the page.现在让我们回到这页的开头。When he got back, he found that supper was over.当他回来的时候,他发现晚餐已经结束了。I'll be back next Saturday.我将在下个星期六回来。
- bring back, call to mind, call up, come back to, think back
这组短语都有“回忆起”的意思。其区别是：1.在含意上，bring back指从现在的事物中引起对过去事情的回忆，含触景生情之意，主语是人时意为“记起；想起”，主语为事物时意为“使想起”；come back to和think back指“回忆起”某事物；call to mind主语是人时意为“记起；想起”，主语为事物时意为“使想起”；call up的含意与bring back相同，但主语通常为事物，不指人。2.在用法上，bring back通常用memory作宾语；come back多用被想起的事物或it作主语，to后接表人的词或mind, memory等与记忆有关的词作宾语表示“回忆起”某事物；think back的主语多指人，如指事物则常与make作补语，back后常接“to〔on〕+被想起的事物”；call to mind不用于被动结构，其中的call为及物动词，其宾语多置于mind之后，mind可有物主代词修饰。
- date back to, go back to, run back to, trace back to
这组短语都指“追溯到”过去某时、某时期或过去发生的某事的意思。其区别是：date back to指“始于，追溯到”，强调某事物开始的时间，一般不用被动结构，常用一般时；go back to和run back to意思相同，但run back to少用，均多指友谊、家事的起源，强调从现在起回到过去开始的某一时期；trace back to与go back to, run back to意思相近，但更强调追根溯源。
- hold back, keep back, put back, set back
这组短语都有“推迟；延迟”的意思。其区别是：1.从含意上说，hold back和keep back都表示“推迟”某事的进行或某人做某事，强调比通常或预定的时间要晚；put back和set back都指某事因某种原因而“被推迟”进行。2.从用法上说，hold的宾语可以是人，也可以是物，可用于被动结构；put back和set back后可加to短语指被延期到未来的某时候进行，一般用被动结构。
- back backward hind behind
误 He lay to his back and stared up at the ceiling.
正 He lay on his back and stared up at the ceiling.
析 表示“仰卧”,应该说lie on one's back,介词用on不用to。
误 He rented a room in back of the house.
正 He rented a room in the back of the house.
析 in back of表示“在…后面”,相当于behind。in the back of表示“在…后部”,相当于in the rear part of。“一间后房”应该是a room in the back of the house。
误 There is a vegetable garden in the back of the house.
正 At the back of the house there is a vegetable garden.
析 表示“在…之外的后面部分”,应该说at the back of,不用in the back of。
误 When you finish the book, please return it back to the library.
正 When you finish the book, please return it to the library.
- back:back adj. 后面的, 在后面, 早过去的, 前(欠)的钱adv. 向后地n. 背部, 后面v. 后退, 支持 英英解释:名词back:1. the posterior part of a hu…