- 用…作正面； 用…覆盖正面
- [S]前面,前部; 正面 the position directly before sb/sth; the surface or part facing towards, outwards, or upwards
- [S]前线,战线,阵线 a line along which fighting takes place in time of war, together the part behind it concerned with supplies
- [S]外表或样子 outward appearance or show
- [C](避暑地的湖滨或海滨的)散步道 a road, often built up and having a protecting wall, by the edge of the sea, especially in a town where people go for holidays
- [C](气)锋 a line of separation between two masses of air of different temperature
- [S]作为(秘密、非法活动的)掩蔽物 sth that serves to hide an illegal or a secret activity
- [A]前面的,前部的; 正面的 of (the) front; being at (the) front
- vt. 作…的正面 supply with a front
- vt. & vi. 面向,朝向 face towards
- the side that is forward or prominent
- the line along which opposing armies face each other
- the outward appearance of a person;
"he put up a bold front"
- the side that is seen or that goes first
- a person used as a cover for some questionable activity
- a sphere of activity involving effort;
"the Japanese were active last week on the diplomatic front"
"they advertise on many different fronts"
- (meteorology) the atmospheric phenomenon created at the boundary between two different air masses
- the immediate proximity of someone or something;
"she blushed in his presence"
"he sensed the presence of danger"
"he was well behaved in front of company"
- the part of something that is nearest to the normal viewer;
"he walked to the front of the stage"
- a group of people with a common ideology who try together to achieve certain general goals;
"he was a charter member of the movement"
"politicians have to respect a mass movement"
"he led the national liberation front"
- relating to or located in the front;
"the front lines"
"the front porch"
- be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to;
"The house looks north"
"My backyard look onto the pond"
"The building faces the park"
- confront bodily;
"breast the storm"
- The front of the postcard shows a picture of our hotel.
- Put the statue so that the front faces the light.
- The front of the building was covered with ivy.
- The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I had to brake.
- That morning we received a report from the front.
- This building fronts the railway station.
- Attractive gardens fronted the houses.
- We may argue among ourselves, but against the management we must present a united front.
- The hotels front onto the sea.
- Someone else will front for him in court.
- The man sitting in front of me is asleep.
- Can you see a red car in front of that house?
The first class carriages are in front.
The coat hooks in the front.
She fastened a flower to the front of her dress.
Write your name at the front of this dictionary.
We have a small garden at the front of the house and a large one at the back.
It's safest to remain a good distance behind, in case the car in front suddenly stops.
Sweeping all others aside, she pushed her way to the front.
The chief guest at the concert was led to a seat at the front of the hall.
The front of the brick house was faced with cement.
The estate is so designed that the front of each house faced away from busy roads.
The front of the house looks to the sea. It gets a beautiful view.
The main body of troops moved toward the front.
The regiment proceeds to the front in a few days.
The old woman told him that she had two grandsons at the front.
A messenger was dispatched to take the news to the soldiers at the front.
Victory was dawning on the battle front.
No enemy was contacted by our patrols on all our fronts today.
The fight against disease has had some fine success, and is making advances on all fronts.
Kehr's rudeness is just a front for her shyness.
Although he was very nervous, he put on a brave front.
This hotel is right on the sea front.
A cold front is the forward edge of a mass of moving cold air.
This firm is just a front for their illegal trade in diamonds.
The police believe that a foreign air travel company is being used as a front for bringing dangerous drugs into the country.
The trade-mark is printed on the front panel.
The wardrobe in the front bedroom has been built in.
The front stall seats are reserved for the guests.
The usher seated us in the front row.
We rolled up to the front porch.
The master of the house conceded me the right to use the front door.
I parked the car in the front yard.
A bold black headline screamed out from the front page.
Write your name on the front cover of the exercise book.
From our window we had a front view of the soldiers marching past.
The window fronts east.
The cinema fronts towards the south.
Imported marble will front the building.
The head post office fronts the railway station.
A large well-kept lawn fronted the house.
He stood fronting the audience.
We want to get a well-known businessman to front our organization.
Front the enemies and be a man.
The village is franked by high mountains and fronted by a small river.
- in front of
在…前面 in the position directly before
There's the house, right in front of you. 房子在那里,就在你的前面。
My view of the stage was blocked by the big hat of the woman sitting in front of me. 我的视线被坐在前排的妇女的大帽子遮住了,看不见舞台。
My wife was still in front of the mirror. 我妻子仍站在镜前照镜子。
She is a bit wooden in front of a television camera. 在电视镜头前她有点呆板。
It is not lawful to park in front of a hydrant. 在消火栓前停车是不合法的。
In front of the labour agency there are many people desiring to get a job. 职业介绍所门前有许多想找工作的人。
I sat in front of the fire, watching the sparks fly up the chimney. 我坐在壁炉前,看着火星顺着烟囱飞溅。
在…面前 in the presence of
You shouldn't use such bad language in front of the children. 在小孩面前,你不应该说这种粗话。
The cheques must be signed in front of the cashier at the bank. 必须当着银行出纳员的面签这些支票。
I admit now that I was wrong, and I am ready to acknowledge it in front of every one. 现在我承认自己错了,并准备当众认错。
- 在…前面 in the position directly before
- in the front of
在最前面; 在最重要的位置 in the most forward or important position
In the front of the picture is the figure of a man. 在这张照片的最前面是一位男士。
- 在最前面; 在最重要的位置 in the most forward or important position
- out front
〈非正〉在观众席中 in or among the people watching a theatrical or other performance
My girlfriend is out front this evening, so I shall hope to give a good performance. 我女友今晚来看表演,因此我希望自己表演出色。
- 〈非正〉在观众席中 in or among the people watching a theatrical or other performance
- up front
〈非正〉预先付款 as payment in advance
We'll pay you half up front and the other half when you've finished the job. 我们先付给你一半钱,剩下的一半等你干完了再付。
〈非正〉在前锋位置 in the most forward position
In football, the players who play up front get the most goals. 在足球赛中,打前锋位置的人进球最多。
- 〈非正〉预先付款 as payment in advance
- front for (v.+prep.)
为…作掩护 protect for
The police suspected her of fronting for a gang of forgers. 警察怀疑她是一帮伪造者的掩护人。
Some claimed that the docker's union fronted for the smuggling ring. 某些人声称码头工人工会是走私集团的掩护所。
对…负责 be responsible for
During divorce proceedings the husband got his assistant to front for him at the office. 办理离婚手续期间,丈夫让助手代他在办公室负责。
- 为…作掩护 protect for
- front on (v.+prep.)
朝向 face towards front on sth
The hotel fronts on the main road.旅馆朝向大马路。
The shop fronts on the main street.这家商店面向大街。
- 朝向 face towards front on sth
- front with (v.+prep.)
用…作正面 supply with a front front sth with sth
They fronted the building with red brick.他们用红砖作这个建筑物的正面。用于 be ～ed 结构
The house is fronted with stone.这幢房子的正面是用石头砌成的。
- 用…作正面 supply with a front front sth with sth
- change front 改变方向
- come to the front 出风头,出名
- look to front 往前看
- form a front against 组成反对…的战线
- go to the front 上前线
- start for the front 出发上战场
- water front (城镇)靠海(湖)的一边
- in front 前面
- in front of 在…前面
- in the front of 在…前面
- upon the front of 在正面
- at the front 在前线
- soldiers at the front 前线的战士
- news from the front 来自前线的消息
- on the front 在…战线
Till thrice the sun his rising front has shown.出自：W. Jones
Having a few small Rooms fronting outward.出自：H. Maundrell
The balcony fronted on the swollen river.出自：W. Golding
- front偶可用作副词意为“朝前”。例如:Eyes front!向前看!
- front既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接简单宾语; 用作不及物动词时,常与介词for, on等连用。
- in front of, ahead of
ahead of和in front of均可表示“在…前面”，指具体的或比喻的空间时，两者均可使用；指时间时，只可使用ahead of。例如：He was running 50 meters ahead of〔before〕 me.他跑在我前面50米。At that moment two girls passed in front of me.那时有两个姑娘在我面前经过。They say there is a great future ahead of me.他们说我有远大的前程。You have a splendid life in front of you.你有大好的前程。
- in front of, in the front of
- He's sitting in front of the car with the driver.
- 他跟司机坐在车子的前面。 (两人在车外)
- He's sitting in the front of the car with the driver.
- 他跟司机坐在车子的前面。 (两人在车里)
- come to the front, go to the front
- Brooks has come to the front recently.
- Our troops have gone to the front.
误 There is a truck parked before my gate, and I can't get out.
正 There is a truck parked in front of my gate, and I can't get out.
析 在现代英语中,当表示在具体的地点前面时一般不用before,而往往用in front of。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期期进入英语，直接源自古法语的front，意为前额；最初源自古典拉丁语的fronetm，意为额头。
- front:front n. 前面, 开头, 前线, (政治上的)阵线, 态度, 外表vt. 面对, 朝向, 对付vi. 朝向习惯用语be at the front 在前线be to the front 站在前面…