- vi. 返回,回来 come or go back to a former place, condition, or activity
- vt. 还,归还,退回 give, put, or send back
- vi. 恢复 come or go back to an earlier activity or condition
- vt. 回报 give or do sth in exchange
- [S]返回,回来,恢复 the act or an example of returning
- [U]归还,回报 the act of giving, putting, or sending sth back
- [C]利润,收益 an amount of money produced as a profit
- document giving the tax collector information about the taxpayer's tax liability;
"his gross income was enough that he had to file a tax return"
- a coming to or returning home;
"on his return from Australia we gave him a welcoming party"
- the occurrence of a change in direction back in the opposite direction
- getting something back again;
"upon the restitution of the book to its rightful owner the child was given a tongue lashing"
- the act of going back to a prior location;
"they set out on their return to the base camp"
- the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property;
"the average return was about 5%"
- happening again (especially at regular intervals);
"the return of spring"
- a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one);
"it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"
- the key on electric typewriters or computer keyboards that causes a carriage return and a line feed
- a reciprocal group action;
"in return we gave them as good as we got"
- a tennis stroke that sends the ball back to the other player;
"he won the point on a cross-court return"
- (American football) the act of running back the ball after a kickoff or punt or interception or fumble
- the act of someone appearing again;
"his reappearance as Hamlet has been long awaited"
- go or come back to place, condition, or activity where one has been before;
"return to your native land"
"the professor returned to his teaching position after serving as Dean"
- give back;
- go back to a previous state;
"We reverted to the old rules"
- go back to something earlier;
"This harks back to a previous remark of his"
- bring back to the point of departure
- return in kind;
"return a compliment"
"return her love"
- make a return;
"return a kickback"
- answer back
- be restored;
"Her old vigor returned"
- pay back;
"Please refund me my money"
- pass down;
"render a verdict"
"deliver a judgment"
- elect again
- be inherited by;
"The estate fell to my sister"
"The land returned to the family"
"The estate devolved to an heir that everybody had assumed to be dead"
- return to a previous position; in mathematics;
"The point returned to the interior of the figure"
- give or supply;
"The cow brings in 5 liters of milk"
"This year's crop yielded 1,000 bushels of corn"
"The estate renders some revenue for the family"
- submit (a report, etc.) to someone in authority;
"submit a bill to a legislative body"
- We must return to Dalian within three days.
- What time does your husband return from work?
- Don't forget to return my keys.
- Good education is an investment for your future and will return substantial rewards.
- He neglected to return his income tax form.
- I'm afraid I have to insist on the return of my books at once.
- The hope of his safe return diminished as time passed by.
- I gave him some books in return for his assistance.
- He assist me with my income tax return.
I'll return at ten this evening.
Children return home when school is over.
Her husband left for work one morning and did not return.
Spring will return soon.
The bad weather had returned.
I slept well, but the pain has returned this morning.
My good humour soon returned.
What did he return to do?
He went an enemy and returned a friend.
He returned hungry.
Will you return my car key?
She hoped that you would return a call this evening.
You may use my bicycle, but you must return it this evening.
It was a goodwill trip to return the visit we made to their country.
Our troops immediately returned the fire.
She returned the compliment.
She smiled as I entered the room.I returned the smile.
Application form should be returned within three weeks.
She returned that she had not supposed that he had done it on purpose.
He has not returned me the book yet.
Don't forget to return me my keys.
When shall we return them a visit?
I return my sincere thanks for the trouble you have taken in the matter.
I am waiting for her return.
He flew to Chicago and made no return on the same day.
The return may be made on the same steamship.
She planned to do it on her return.
I shall do that on my return from America .
We look forward to your return from America .
He went out to buy one return ticket to London.
It's good thing I've got my return ticket.
The spectators cheered the tennis champion's return of service.
I can make little return for your kindness.
That bookstore would not accept returns, even ones in good condition.
The library is demanding the return of the books.
It brings us a fat return.
These articles make a quick return.
These shares have brought in good returns.
In the event of your having a return of the pain, take this medicine.
- return for (v.+prep.)
以…回报… use sth as a means of repaying (sth else) return sth for sth
We shouldn't return good for evil.我们不应该以德报怨。
We have made the decision to return blow for blow.我们决定以牙还牙。
In order to return thanks for his kindness, she went to help him every day.为了答谢他的好意,她每天都去帮他的忙。
- 以…回报… use sth as a means of repaying (sth else) return sth for sth
- return from (v.+prep.)
从…返回… go or come back from (a place or doing sth) return from sth/v-ing
They have just returned from the conference at Brussels.他们刚从布鲁塞尔开会回来。
When I return from the coast,I shall bring good news.我从海滨回来后会带来好消息的。
We were tired out when we returned from taking the dog for a walk.领着狗散步回来后,我们已经筋疲力尽。
- 从…返回… go or come back from (a place or doing sth) return from sth/v-ing
- return to (v.+prep.)
返回到…,把…送回… go back to (a place, a point, etc.); take sth back to sb/sth return to sth
They all recovered and returned to their units.他们都养好伤病,回自己部队去了。
Returning to a city where one used to live can be a saddening experience.重归故地有时会给人带来几许惆怅。
After graduating from a middle school she returned to her home village to do farm work.中学毕业后,她回到家乡务农。
During harvest time the farmers often return to the fields in the evening for extra labour.在收获季节,农民们常常在晚上还要到地里加班干活。
I shall return to this subject later.我一会儿还要讲到这个题目。
Now she returned to the subject of juvenile delinquency in that country.现在她又回到了那个国家青少年犯罪的话题上。return sth to sb/sth
They returned the property to the original owner.他们把财产归还原主。
We returned the empty bottles to the shop.我们把空瓶子还给了商店。
Please return the book to the library before Friday.请在星期五以前把书还给图书馆。
You are asked to return the cassette tape recorders to the department office.要求你们把盒式磁带录音机还给系办公室。
He returned a polite answer to our inquiries.对我们的询问,他作了客气的回答。用于 be ～ed 结构
After nearly one year, the bike he lost was returned to him.差不多过了一年,他丢失的那辆自行车又回到他手里了。
All books are to be returned to the library before the end of the term.学期结束前,所有借的书都必须归还图书馆。
恢复到… take up again; make use of (sth such as a former method or habit) again return to sth
The situation has returned to normal in the city.这座城市的局势已恢复正常。
He has returned to his old habits.他又恢复了他的旧习惯。
After going straight for a bit, he returned to petty thieving again.走了一段正道后,他又重操旧业当起小偷来。
- 返回到…,把…送回… go back to (a place, a point, etc.); take sth back to sb/sth return to sth
- return with (v.+prep.)
带…归来 come back with (sb or a thing) return with sb/sth
Calling at my uncle's on our way home, we returned with his two children.回家途中,我们到了我叔父那里,带着他的两个孩子一同回来了。
After two weeks' hot weather in Spain we returned with very brown skins.我们在西班牙炎热的天气里待了两个星期,回来时皮肤都晒得黑黑的。
- 带…归来 come back with (sb or a thing) return with sb/sth
- by return
随下一批邮件 by the next post
Please let us know your answer by return. 请在下一班回程邮递寄回你的答复。
Please answer her letter by return. 请把给她的回信随下一班邮件寄来。
Please send me a quick reply by return. 请立即给我一个答复。
- 随下一批邮件 by the next post
- in return (for)
作为…的交换〔回报〕 in exchange or as payment (for)
I wish I could do something in return for the kindness I have received from him. 我希望我能做点什么事来酬谢他。
I am very grateful for your assistance, and hope that one day I may be able to do something for you in return. 我非常感激你对我的帮助,并希望有一天我能为你做点什么来报答你。
- 作为…的交换〔回报〕 in exchange or as payment (for)
- on one's return
在回来时 when one gets back
Good-bye, old chap,I'll see you on my return. 再见吧,老伙计,等我回来再见面。
- 在回来时 when one gets back
- return to
回到… coming back to
He sent her off a telegram announcing his immediate return to London. 他给她发出一份电报,说他立即返回伦敦。
Let me make it clear that I am not advocating the return to the traditional grammar-translation method. 让我确定一点,我并不是倡导重新恢复传统的语法—翻译法。
- 回到… coming back to
- to return
言归正传,回到本题 back to the subject
But to return, they didn't get married in the end. 言归正传,他们最后并没有结婚。
- 言归正传,回到本题 back to the subject
- return a book 归还书
- return a compliment 回礼,还礼,报复
- return a kindness 回报,报答
- return a profit 产生效益〔利润〕
- return a visit 回访
- return an answer 回答
- return fire 回击
- return thank(s) 答谢
- return trace 回描,归迹
- return voyage 返航
- return home 回家
- return customarily 按惯例回家
- return deliberately 不慌不忙地回家
- return expeditiously 迅速地回家
- return fortuitously 偶然回家
- return habitually 按惯例回家
- return honorably 衣锦还乡
- return incessantly 连续地回家
- return infallibly 绝对可靠地获利
- return promptly 迅速归还
- return testily 暴躁地反驳
- return traditionally 按惯例回家
- return triumphantly 凯旋
- return unceremoniously 唐突地回家
- return after … 后回故里
- return for an exam 温课迎考
- return from 从…回来
- return from the conference 开会回来
- return from a trip to Europe 从欧洲旅行回来
- return from this digression to subject 言归正传
- return to 回到…
- return to normal 恢复正常
- return to one's old habit 故态复萌
- return to one's subject 言归正传
- return with 带…回来
- accept return 接受退还
- ask for return 索还…
- bring return 带来利润
- commemorate return 纪念凯旋
- compile return 编制统计表
- demand return 要求归还
- expect return 图回答
- have return 复发
- make return 申报…,汇报…
- realize return 获得利润
- seek return 牟取利润
- show return 显示成果
- welcome return 欢迎归来
- adequate return 足够的利润
- Board of Trade return 商务部统计表
- census return 人口〔户口〕统计表
- diminishing return 报酬递减
- election return 选举结果报告
- fair return 相当大的利润
- fat return 丰厚的利润
- financial return 会计〔财务〕报告
- good return 优厚利润
- happy return (敬祝)福寿,长命百岁
- insulated return 绝缘回线
- little return 难以答谢
- maximum return 最大的利润
- official return 公报
- poor return 以怨报…,辜负了…
- profitable return 得到利润
- prompt return 立刻返回
- property return 资产统计表
- quick return 快速回转
- safe return 安全返航
- return air 回流空气
- return command 返回指令
- return curve 回复曲线
- return gear 回行〔随动,跟踪〕装置
- return half 回程票
- return main 回水总管,回汽管
- return period 重现〔回复〕期
- return pipe 回(油,水,汽)管
- return postcard 来回明信片
- return pump 抽空泵
- return riser 回水立管
- return spring 回动〔复〕弹簧
- return ticket 来回票
- return time 回描时间
- return transfer function 返回传送操作
- return water 回归水
- according to return 根据…的申报表
- after return 归还后
- at return of the year 过了年就
- by return of post 由下一班回程邮递寄回
- in return 作为…的报酬,作为…的交换
- on one's return 回来时
- with the return of 随着…的到来
- without return 无利润,无赚头
His return was the signal for..national joy.出自：J. R. Green
Going back felt disturbingly like a return to school.出自：V. Brittain
Their blood shall..returne vpon the head of Ioab.出自：Bible (AV): 1 Kings
Till the earl..was returned from Bologna.出自：J. Lingard
The subject is one to which..I shall..return.出自：J. A. Froude
Man's love once gone never returns.出自：Tennyson
Sounds of battle began to return.出自：E. Waugh
What grows on the desert returns as dust to dust.出自：D. C. Peattie
She was returning home.出自：M. L. King
Ministers had arrived..by train but were returning..by air.出自：P. Scott
From Earl's Court they returned directly to Paddington.出自：S. Weintraub
- return, be back, come back, get back, go back
这组词(组)都可表示“回去”。其区别是：return与其他词相比有些书卷气; come back的意思是“回归”“回来”,指回到说话人所在的地方; go back指回到出发点,是一种非正式说法,常用于口语中; get back是回到原来的出发点; be back意为“回来了”,表示状态,是日常应用最广的非正式说法。例如:Did Duff come back?—Yes, he came back.达夫回来了吗?是的,他回来了。Now let's go back to the beginning of the page.现在让我们回到这页的开头。When he got back, he found that supper was over.当他回来的时候,他发现晚餐已经结束了。I'll be back next Saturday.我将在下个星期六回来。
- She will return next week.
- She returns next week.
- She is returning next week.
误 I have returned home for a week.
正 I returned home a week ago.
正 It is a week since I returned home.
误 He'll return back soon.
误 He'll return again soon.
正 He'll return soon.
- ☆ 14世纪中期英入进语，直接源自古法语的retorner：re (回） + torner (转），意为转回，返回。
- return:return n. 回来, 返回, 来回票, 利润, 回答adj. 返回的, 回程的, 报答的, 反向的, 重现的vi. 回返, 归还vt. 归还, 回报, 报告, 获得, 回答, 返回习惯用语bri…