- [A]过去的,在前的,以前的 of an earlier period or time
- the first of two or the first mentioned of two;
"Tom and Dick were both heroes but only the former is remembered today"
- referring to the first of two things or persons mentioned (or the earlier one or ones of several);
"the novel was made into a film in 1943 and again in 1967; I prefer the former version to the latter one"
- belonging to some prior time;
"our former glory"
"the once capital of the state"
"her quondam lover"
- (used especially of persons) of the immediate past;
"the former president"
"our late President is still very active"
"the previous occupant of the White House"
- belonging to the distant past;
"the early inhabitants of Europe"
"in other times"
- Mr. Heath is the former Prime Minister of Britain.
- I paid a visit to my former English teacher.
- Many of his former supporters voted against him.
- a former of ideas
- He is a fifth former.
He is the former premier.
Some of them bitter attacked their former friends.
It was the former capital of Turkey.
He's back to his former self again.
The Framer and Former of the Vniverse.出自：R. Cudworth
The last thing..I want is to reopen our disagreements of former days.出自：B. Moore
- the former表示“前者”，the latter表示“后者”，两者相对，只可用于两个人或物之间；
- former Mayor表示“前任市长”，而former Ambassador表示“前任大使”，这种former的用法多见于美国，英国人习惯用ex-来表示“前任的”。
- former:former adj. 从前的, 以前的n. 形成者, 创造者, 模型, 样板…