- vt. 支持；承受；支撑；供养；资助；证实；支援；担任演出嘉宾
- n. 支持；支撑；援助；供养；依据；助演嘉宾
- 扶养， 赡养（家属），养活
- 【戏】替…当配角， 演…的角色
- vt. 支撑; 支持 keep from falling; hold up; help by agreeing with
- vt. 维持 provide enough food and water to keep sb/sth alive
- vt. 赞助; 供养 help to continue; give what is needed to live
- vt. 经常光顾,为…捧场 be a regular customer of or visitor to sth; be a fan of sb/sth
- vt. 忍受 bear; endure
- [U] 支撑,承受,支持,赞助 supporting or being supported
- [C] 支撑物,支柱,支座,支架 thing that supports or bears the weight of sth
- [C] 给予帮助〔同情〕的人 person who gives help, sympathy, etc.
- [U] 支持者,拥护者 people who support a political party, team, etc.
the activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with money or necessities;
"his support kept the family together"
"they gave him emotional support during difficult times"
aiding the cause or policy or interests of;
"the president no longer has the support of his own party"
"they developed a scheme of mutual support"
something providing immaterial assistance to a person or cause or interest;
"the policy found little public support"
"his faith was all the support he needed"
"the team enjoyed the support of their fans"
a military operation (often involving new supplies of men and materiel) to strengthen a military force or aid in the performance of its mission;
"they called for artillery support"
"his documentation of the results was excellent"
"the strongest support for this view is the work of Jones"
the financial means whereby one lives;
"each child was expected to pay for their keep"
"he applied to the state for support"
"he could no longer earn his own livelihood"
supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation;
"the statue stood on a marble support"
the act of bearing the weight of or strengthening;
"he leaned against the wall for support"
a musical part (vocal or instrumental) that supports or provides background for other musical parts
any device that bears the weight of another thing;
"there was no place to attach supports for a shelf"
financial resources provided to make some project possible;
"the foundation provided support for the experiment"
give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to;
"She supported him during the illness"
"Her children always backed her up"
support materially or financially;
"he does not support his natural children"
"The scholarship supported me when I was in college"
be behind; approve of;
"He plumped for the Labor Party"
"I backed Kennedy in 1960"
be the physical support of; carry the weight of;
"The beam holds up the roof"
"He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"
"What's holding that mirror?"
establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts;
"his story confirmed my doubts"
"The evidence supports the defendant"
adopt as a belief;
"I subscribe to your view on abortion"
support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm;
"The stories and claims were born out by the evidence"
argue or speak in defense of;
"She supported the motion to strike"
play a subordinate role to (another performer);
"Olivier supported Gielgud beautifully in the second act"
be a regular customer or client of;
"We patronize this store"
"Our sponsor kept our art studio going for as long as he could"
put up with something or somebody unpleasant;
"I cannot bear his constant criticism"
"The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"
"he learned to tolerate the heat"
"She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
- The lawyer cite a previous case to support his argument.
- Will you use your influence to prevail upon them to support the suggestion?
- The pillars support the weight of the roof.
- Is this bridge strong enough to support heavy lorries?
- Her father supported her until she got married.
- He needs a high income to support such a large family.
- Will the government provide money to support the arts?
- Our company has tied up with another firm to support the show.
- These findings support my primary diagnosis.
- Your testimony will support his plea of innocence.
- They were all on fire to support the disaster area.
- We are trying our utmost to support the construction of the border areas.
- They were supported by a local band.
- She spoke in support of the project.
- They hope to win mass support among the middle class.
- She was leaning on his arm for support.
- High back provides great support for your neck.
- You have no title to ask for our support.
- She dispensed with the financial support of her uncle.
- The child is dependent on his parents for support.
- A woman marries the first time for love, the second time for companionship, the third time for support, and the rest of the time just from habit.
- The statistics offer further support for our theory.
- The support has yet to be confirmed.
- Walls support the roof.
- You support the bottom of the box while I lift the top.
- Bill had to support Jill or she would have fallen to the floor.
- Air, food and drink are necessary to support life.
- They do not support the new President.
- She supported me emotionally.
- Support the army and cherish the people.
- He has always supported the weaker party.
- She supports birth control.
- The results support my original idea.
- This evidence supports my argument that she is guilty.
- I can support the situation no longer.
- His weakened body could never support another attack.
- Which football team do you support?
- They often support the local theatre.
- This branch needs to be supported.
- The bridge is supported by three pillars.
- The floors of the building are supported by wooden beams.
- He had to be supported home.
- Our school is supported by the government.
- I hope you will support me in my efforts to discover the truth.
- Your support has meant a lot to me during this difficult time.
- I am the only support of my family.
- On her shoulders falls the support of the whole family.
- Don't bargain on getting any support from her; she's very selfish.
- He deceived us into believing that he could give us moral support.
- The plan was doomed to fail by their refusal to give it any financial support.
- The organization withdrew its support on an ideological pretext.
- They threatened to cease financial support to the university.
- He provided emotional support for the children when their father died.
- Scholars have found little support for this interpretation.
- The argument lacked support.
- These beams are the main support of the building.
- The roof may need extra support.
- One of the supports of the bridge collapsed.
- Most large-scale buildings now have steel supports.
- He was a great support to us in our time of need.
- The theatre had to close for lack of support.
- support against (v.+prep.)
支持(某人)反对 back sb against sb/sth
support sb against sb/sth
I support him against those who are finding fault with him.
- support in (v.+prep.)
在…方面支持 hold up in sth
support sb in sth
His family supported him in his decision.
- support on (v.+prep.)
靠…支持〔撑〕 keep from falling by sth; hold up by sth
support sb/oneself/sth on sth
He supported the heavy box on his shoulders.
I can't support my wife and children on such a small salary.
She decided to support herself on her musical talents.
The bridge is supported on stone piers.
It is supported on a narrow base.
The roof of the building is supported on pillars.
- come to sb's support
援助某人 aid sb
- in support
后备的,准备给予支援的 in reserve; ready to give support
- in support of
证明…正确 proving sth trueHe even made some experiments in support of his views.为了证明他的看法正确,他甚至进行了一些实验。
- support a candidate 支持某个候选人
- support a cause 支持某项事业
- support a family 养活一家人
- support a leader 支持某个领导人
- support a motion 赞成某项动议
- support a policy 支持某项政策
- support a scheme 支持某人的方案〔计划〕
- support a statement 证实一项声明有效
- support an attack 忍受攻击
- support an idea 支持某个想法
- support life 维持生命
- support oneself 振作精神
- support sb's rudeness 忍受某人的粗鲁
- support the argument 证明论点是对的
- support the claim 证明主张是对的
- support the government 拥护政府
- support the theory 证明理论是对的
- support abundantly 完全支持
- support adequately 充分支持
- support appreciatively 感激地支持
- support authoritatively 根据可靠
- support completely 完全支持
- support conscientiously 诚心诚意地支持
- support economically 经济上支持
- support effectively 有效地支持
- support enthusiastically 热情地支持
- support financially 财政上援助
- support firmly 坚决支持
- support heartily 由衷地支持
- support loyally 忠实地支持
- support materially 物质上支持
- support mutually 互相支持
- support plausibly 似乎有理地支持
- support poorly 根据不足
- support respectfully 恭敬地支持
- support spiritually 精神上支持
- support steadfastly 坚定地支持
- support strongly 强有力地支持
- support substantially 实质上支持
- support theoretically 理论上支持
- support warmly 热情地资助
- support wholeheartedly 全心全意地支持
- support zealously 热情地支持
- support against 支持…反对…
- support sb against the plan 支持某人反对这个计划
- support by 靠…得到支持
- support oneself by 靠…度日〔维持生活〕
- support in 在…方面给予支持
- support on 扶着,支撑在…上
- support with 扶着,用…支撑
- draw support 获得支持
- derive support from 获得…的支持
- enlist support 谋取支持
- express support 表示支持
- gain support 赢得支持
- get support from 得到…的支持
- give support 给予支持
- lack support 缺乏证据,缺少资助
- lend support to an argument 为某一论点提供证据
- lose the support 失去拥护
- need the support 需要资助
- obtain the support 获得支持
- pay support 付赡养费
- pledge support 保证予以支持
- procure support 获得支持
- promise continued support 答应继续给予支持
- provide support 提供帮助
- put a support under 在…下面放一支撑物
- receive support from 得到…的支持
- refuse support to 拒绝支持
- require support 需要支持
- secure support 深得支持
- solicit support 请求支持
- switch one's support 转向而支持
- win public support 赢得公众的支持
- active support 积极的支持
- ardent support 热情的帮助
- consistent support 一贯的支持
- effective support 有效的支持
- emotional support 感情上的关怀
- enthusiastic support 热情的帮助
- extra support 外加的支撑
- firm support 坚定的支持
- financial support 财政支援
- full support 完全支持
- generous support 慷慨的支持
- hearty support 热诚的支持
- influential support 有影响力的支持
- keen support 热心的支持
- liberal support 慷慨的资助
- main support 主要的支持
- moral support 道义上的支持
- only support 唯一的支持
- popular support 大众的拥护
- powerful support 强有力的支持
- principal support 主要支撑物
- public support 大众的拥护
- scarce support 极少的支持
- substantial support 切实的支援
- sympathetic support 出于同情的支持
- unconditional support 无条件的支持
- unwavering support 毫不动摇的支持
- urgent support 紧急支援
- vigorous support 大力支持
- warm support 热情支持
- wholehearted support 全心全意的支持
- zealous support 热心的支持
- for its own support 自给
- in support of 支持,拥护,支援
- sure of support 确信会支持
- swell of support 支援的浪潮
- with the support of 在…支援下
- without support 孤立无援
Proclaimed enthusiastic..support for the League of Nations.出自： V. Brittain
He..needed support against his self-doubt.出自： C. Wilson
The thought was not to be supported without bitter tears.出自： E. Langley
- support的基本意思是“支撑; 负担(重量); 搀扶”,指凭借支撑(物)维持某特定的位置或状态,有时含有不屈服或不过分痛苦地忍受艰难困苦的意味。引申还可表示“维持”“养(家)”“赞成”“证实”“激励”“经常光顾,为…捧场”等。
- support后接介词against表示“支持…反对…”; 后接介词in表示“在…方面给予支持”; 后接介词on表示“靠…支持〔撑〕”。
- support, advocate, uphold
- 这组词的共同意思是“支援,赞助”。其区别在于:support指道义上或物质上支持某人,也可指对一项事业的支持或赞助; advocate指通过发表演说或写文章来表示支持、拥护,常暗示提倡某事或为某事辩护; uphold指把快要倒下的东西扶直并撑稳,引申指支持正受到攻击或挑战的某人或某事。例如:
- I was supported by him both materially and spiritually.我既得到了他的物质支持,也得到了他的精神支持。
- He advocated building more good roads.他主张修筑更多的好公路。
- He upheld his brother's honor.他维护他兄弟的名誉。
- support, bolster, brace, buttress, maintain, prop, sustain
- 这组词的共同意思是“支撑”。其区别在于:support指有基础或基座来承受某物的压力或重量,使其不坍塌或倒下,用于比喻可指能够经受住艰难困苦而不屈服; bolster指用垫枕等支撑物来支撑或承受负荷; brace指用支柱、支架来支住、撑牢某物,使其能抗住压力; buttress指用在建筑物应力点上加扶壁的办法来支住、加固某物,引申指用物质、金钱、事实等来支持某论点; maintain指保持某种状况或状态,给予所需的力量,以防力量、价值等有所损失; prop指支持需要立即加强或加固的事物; sustain强调始终不渝地支撑或保持。例如:
- This matter bolstered up his pride.这件事提高了他的自尊心。
- The struts are firmly braced.构架的支柱很牢固。
- She buttressed her argument with lots of solid facts.她用很多具体事实来支持她的论点。
- The state maintains the highways.政府养护公路。
- She propped up the baby's head by putting her hand behind its neck.她把手放在婴孩的头后,支撑他的头。
- She was sustained by pride in her family.对家庭的自豪感支持着她。
- support, back, champion
- 这组词的共同意思是“支持”。它们的区别在于:back多指给予物质或道义上的资助,有“作后台”的意味; support指支撑重量或作为支柱或给予需要的力量,以防某人或某物跌倒或陷下; 而champion则指支持他人或某项运动而去奋斗、辩论或演说。例如:
- Don't worry. I will back you up.不要忧虑,我支持你。
- The teammates supported the injured player.队友扶着那受伤的球员。
- We champion a just cause.我们支持正义的事业。
- support, livelihood, living
- Painting, once merely a hobby, became his livelihood.绘画先前不过是他的一种业余爱好,后来成了他的维持生计的工作。
- He depended on his parents for support.他靠父母抚养。
误 Do you support that we should work for a shorter time each day?
正 Do you support the idea that we should work for a shorter time each day?
误 All the audience cheered in the support of the president's suggestion.
正 All the audience cheered in support of the president's suggestion.
析 在give support, require support, in support等短语中, support前不可加a或the。
- ☆ 15世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的supporter；最初源自古典拉丁语的supportare：sup (从上而下） + portare (提，拿），意为传达，运送，养育。
- uphold n.
- supporter n. 支持者,拥护者;赞助者