- [C]头,头部 the part of the body which contains the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and the brain
- [C]领导,首脑 sb who is in control of a place, organization, etc.; a ruler or leader
- [S]上端,顶部,前端 a part at the top of an object which is different of, separate from the body
- [S]人,个人 a person
- [S](牛、羊等)头数 individual animal in a herd or flock
- [S]头脑,智力 ability to reason; intellect; imagination; mind
- vt. 带领; 居…之首; 主管 lead; be at the front of; be in charge of
- vi. 朝…行进; 长出头 move in a certain direction; (of plants) form a head
- vt. & vi. 用头顶球 strike (a ball) with the head
- the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains;
"he stuck his head out the window"
- a single domestic animal;
"200 head of cattle"
- that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason;
"his mind wandered"
"I couldn't get his words out of my head"
- a person who is in charge;
"the head of the whole operation"
- the front of a military formation or procession;
"the head of the column advanced boldly"
"they were at the head of the attack"
- the pressure exerted by a fluid;
"a head of steam"
- the top of something;
"the head of the stairs"
"the head of the page"
"the head of the list"
- the source of water from which a stream arises;
"they tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
- (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
- the tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
- the length or height based on the size of a human or animal head;
"he is two heads taller than his little sister"
"his horse won by a head"
- a dense cluster of flowers or foliage;
"a head of cauliflower"
"a head of lettuce"
- the educator who has executive authority for a school;
"she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
- an individual person;
"tickets are $5 per head"
- a user of (usually soft) drugs;
"the office was full of secret heads"
- a natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea)
- a rounded compact mass;
"the head of a comet"
- the foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container;
"the beer had a large head of foam"
- the part in the front or nearest the viewer;
"he was in the forefront"
"he was at the head of the column"
- a difficult juncture;
"a pretty pass"
"matters came to a head yesterday"
- forward movement;
"the ship made little headway against the gale"
- a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer;
"the point of the arrow was due north"
- the subject matter at issue;
"the question of disease merits serious discussion"
"under the head of minor Roman poets"
- a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about;
"the heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
- the rounded end of a bone that fits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint;
"the head of the humerus"
- that part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
- (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
- (usually plural) the obverse side of a coin that usually bears the representation of a person's head;
"call heads or tails!"
- the striking part of a tool;
"the head of the hammer"
- (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
- a projection out from one end;
"the head of the nail"
"a pinhead is the head of a pin"
- a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- oral stimulation of the genitals;
"they say he gives good head"
- to go or travel towards;
"where is she heading"
"We were headed for the mountains"
- be in charge of;
"Who is heading this project?"
- travel in front of; go in advance of others;
"The procession was headed by John"
- be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel;
"This student heads the class"
- direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
- take its rise;
"These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
- be in the front of or on top of;
"The list was headed by the name of the president"
- form a head or come or grow to a head;
"The wheat headed early this year"
- remove the head of;
"head the fish"
- Please raise your head and look at the blackboard.
- The stone caught him on the side of the head.
- He had no head for business.
- We walked straight to the head of the line.
- He is the head of our school.
- After Yao died, Shun became head of the tribal confederation.
- We are heading home.
- I would have a chance to head northward quickly.
- We elected Mr. Stevenson to head the team.
- The road heads the east.
- My mother is the head librarian of the school library.
- He got shocked by the head name on the list.
Tom got angry at his brother and aimed a heavy book at his head.
The old man arrived, bearing a large bundle on his head.
Maria bent her head instinctively to avoid being recognized.
I lifted my head and looked up.Red flags were flying from the top of the pass.
We lifted our heads to breathe in the fresh, clear air.
The electric fan blew hot air about our heads.
But at last the shells cracked, one after another.One little head after another appeared.
A passing lorry covered us in mud from head to foot.
The original founder is still head of the organization.
Bill was appointed head of the election committee when the government crisis was over.
The head of the workshop ordered that the work should be finished in two days.
Let us send the finished products to the head of the workshop to be checked.
They advanced him over the heads of his seniors.
I waited at the head of the queue.
He climbed to the head of his class.
Write your address at the head of this page.
You'd better equip your bicycle with a head light.
The head post office fronts the railway station.
I did a quick head count and discovered that one member of the class was missing.
It costs about 10 pounds a head to eat there.
He has twenty head of cattle on the farm.
Two hundred head of cattle were killed this morning.
His brother has a good head for mathematics.
He should go in for accounting because he has a good head for figures.
She being a modest woman her head was by no means turned by the acclaim which broke over her.
You are heading north.
The crowd is heading eastward, believing that they can find gold there.
He realized that he was heading in the wrong direction.
His name heads the list.
Their cars headed the funeral procession.
He will head a firm.
When the president died, the vice president was chosen to head the firm.
The delegation was headed by our Foreign Minister.
- above〔over〕 sb's head
太高深而使人难以理解 beyond sb's ability to understand
The only magazine in the waiting room was a scientific journal full of technical jargon above my head. 候诊室里唯一的杂志是一份全是术语的科学期刊,我看不懂。
The lecture was a bit over their heads. 这演讲过于深奥了一点,他们不能理解。
- 太高深而使人难以理解 beyond sb's ability to understand
- bang〔knock〕 one's head against a brick wall
白费力气 do sth to no avail
I've tried five times to explain how to use the machine but he still cannot do it,I'm just banging my head against a brick wall. 该如何使用机器,我已经讲解了五次,但他仍然不会操作,简直是白费力气。
Trying to make him change his mind is just knocking your head against a brick wall. 要想使他改变主意真是枉费心机。
- 白费力气 do sth to no avail
- bang〔knock〕 sb's heads together
用武力制止争吵 threat to put an end to a dispute
If you two boys don't stop quarrelling immediately,I'll bang your heads together. 如果你们两个男孩不马上停止争吵,我就要使用武力制止你们的争吵了。
- 用武力制止争吵 threat to put an end to a dispute
- bring to a head
(使)时机成熟,濒临危急关头 bring to a point where sth must be done or decided bring sth to a head
The assassination of the president brought matters to a head.总统遭暗杀使事态到了严重关头。
Matters have been brought to a head in the peace talks; tomorrow they will either succeed or fail.和平谈判已到紧要关头,成败系于明天的会谈。
- (使)时机成熟,濒临危急关头 bring to a point where sth must be done or decided bring sth to a head
- come to a head
时机成熟,濒临危急关头 come to a point where sth must be done or decided
The long-standing dispute about working conditions finally came to a head when the workforce voted for strike action. 关于工作条件的长期争论终于达到了白热化的程度,工人们投票赞成罢工。
- 时机成熟,濒临危急关头 come to a point where sth must be done or decided
- eat one's heads off
〈口〉吃大量的食物 eat a large amount of food
There are two horses in the stable, eating their heads off and doing no work. 马厩里有两匹马,吃得多,不干活。
The children came in an hour ago from their long walk, and now they're in the dining room eating their heads off. 孩子们走了很长的路,一小时前刚到,现在正在餐厅里大吃呢。
When boys get to the age of fifteen or sixteen they eat their heads off. 男孩子到了十五六岁的年龄,食量大得吓人。
They ate their heads off at the banquet, with so much food around. 宴会上东西那么多,他们吃得简直要把肚皮都撑破了。
- 〈口〉吃大量的食物 eat a large amount of food
- get into one's head
充分理解,明白; 熟记 grasp an idea; memorize get sth into one's head
Can't you get it into your head that it is dangerous to ride a motorbike without wearing protective clothing?难道你不明白骑摩托车不穿防护衣有危险吗?
I have difficulty learning French irregular verbs; I just can't seem to get them into my head.我学法语的不规则动词有困难,我似乎无法记住。
- 充分理解,明白; 熟记 grasp an idea; memorize get sth into one's head
- go off one's head
发疯的,精神错乱的 go mad; lose control of one's reason
When I told my husband how much my new coat cost he said I must have gone off my head to spend so much. 当我把我的新外套花了多少钱告诉丈夫时,他说花那么多钱我一定发疯了。
- 发疯的,精神错乱的 go mad; lose control of one's reason
- head over heels
完全地,全部地 completely; totally
Now that I've paid the tax demand and the children's school fees,I'll be head over heels in debt for the next six months. 由于我已缴了应纳的税和孩子们的学杂费,在以后的6个月中我将债台高筑。
- 完全地,全部地 completely; totally
- hold one's head high〔up〕
昂首,不垂头丧气 be proud; be unashamed
Now that the case against me has been dismissed,I can once again hold my head up in public. 由于对我不利的判决已经撤销,我可以重新在公共场合昂首挺胸了。
- 昂首,不垂头丧气 be proud; be unashamed
- keep one's head
保持冷静 remain calm
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you. 当你周围的人都头脑发热并对你横加指责时,但愿你能保持冷静。
- 保持冷静 remain calm
- keep one's head above water
使自己免于负债 remain out of debt
With high interest rates and a wage freeze, many householders are only just managing to keep their heads above water. 由于实行高利率和工资冻结措施,许多户主只能是使自己免于负债。
- 使自己免于负债 remain out of debt
- not know whether one is on one's head or one's heels
不能理解; 被…弄糊涂 be unable to understand; be completely confused by
It was hectic at work today,I had so many phone calls and queries to answer that I didn't know whether I was on my head or my heels. 今天的工作真紧张,我要接的电话和要回答的问题太多了,我真不知所措。
- 不能理解; 被…弄糊涂 be unable to understand; be completely confused by
- off the top of one's head
不假思索 without thinking
I don't know the exact number of people who have been invited but off the top of my head I should think there will be about forty. 我不知道被邀请者的确切数字,但不用思索我认为会有40人左右。
- 不假思索 without thinking
- old head on young shoulders
年轻而有见识(的人),人小鬼大 wisdom in youth
Young Mark seems very knowledgeable and experienced for his age—definitely an old head on young shoulders. 年轻的马克似乎比他同龄的人更有知识和经验——确切地说,他是一个年轻而有见识的人。
- 年轻而有见识(的人),人小鬼大 wisdom in youth
- on one's head
由某人负责 on one's responsibility
I don't approve of your getting married so young, but if you're determined to do so it's on your own head. 我不同意你这么年轻就结婚,但是如果你决意这样做的话,那么一切就由你自己负责。
- 由某人负责 on one's responsibility
- put one's heads together
共同商量 think out a plan with other people
I don't know as much about the theoretical side as you do,I'm more of a practical person. But if we put our heads together we should be able to find a solution to the problem. 我不像你,我理论方面懂得不多,我是个实干的人。不过如果我们共同商量,我们应该能够找到解决问题的办法。
- 共同商量 think out a plan with other people
- put out of one's head
放弃某念头 deliberately forget put sth out of one's head
I had considered becoming a model, but I soon put the idea out of my head when I got married and started a family.我曾想要当一个模特,但我结婚有了家庭后马上就放弃了那个念头。
- 放弃某念头 deliberately forget put sth out of one's head
- standing on one's head
十分容易 effortlessly; with ease
It's your best subject and you should be able to pass the exam standing on your head. 那是你学得最好的科目,你应该能够毫不费力地通过考试。
I know I could do that job standing on my head. 我知道我可以不费吹灰之力就把那个工作做好。
- 十分容易 effortlessly; with ease
- turn sb's head
使某人爱慕 make sb fall in love
Her beauty had quite turned his head. 她的美貌还真使他神魂颠倒。
- 使某人爱慕 make sb fall in love
- head after (v.+prep.)
开始追赶… begin to chase (usually sb) head after sb
If you head after the robbers now, you might catch them before they leave the town limits.如果现在追赶盗贼,你们可能在他们跑出城区之前逮住他们。
- 开始追赶… begin to chase (usually sb) head after sb
- head away from (v.+adv.+prep.)
向(某地点)的反方向移动,运动 move in the opposite direction to (sth such as a place) head away from sth
Heading away from the mountains,I soon found an easier path leading downhill to the village.我背着山走了不久,就发现了一条通往该村的比较平坦的下山小路。
- 向(某地点)的反方向移动,运动 move in the opposite direction to (sth such as a place) head away from sth
- head back (v.+adv.)
转身,折回 turn round; begin to return head back
We ought to be heading back if we want to reach home before dark.如果我们想天黑前到家,现在该往回走了。
- 转身,折回 turn round; begin to return head back
- head for〔toward〕 (v.+prep.)
朝…进发 aim to travel in the direction of (usually a place) head for〔toward〕 sb/sth
We saw him heading for us, so we stepped aside.我们看见他向我们走来,就让到一边。
We got on a bus and headed toward Dover.我们登上了一辆公共汽车朝多佛方向驶去。head sth for〔toward〕 sth
They headed the boat toward the shore.他们把船驶向岸边。
〈非正〉引向好〔坏〕结果 cause to encourage (sth good or bad effect) to happen head for〔toward〕 sth
You're heading for an accident if you drive after drinking alcohol.如果你酒后开车就会招致车祸。
You are heading for trouble if you go on behaving like that.你要还是那样胡来,就是在自找麻烦。
The firm will head toward bankruptcy unless a new manager is elected.如果再不选出新的经理,这个公司就会破产。
- 朝…进发 aim to travel in the direction of (usually a place) head for〔toward〕 sb/sth
- head in (v.+prep.)
用头把(球)顶入球门 (in football) send (the ball) into the goal with one's head head sth in sth
The centre forward headed the ball in goal.中锋用头把球顶入球门。
He scored by heading the ball in goal during the last two minutes of the match.比赛最后两分钟,他顶球入门得分。
- 用头把(球)顶入球门 (in football) send (the ball) into the goal with one's head head sth in sth
- head into (v.+prep.)
迎着(风等)而行 take a course facing the direction of (usually the wind) head into sth
It looks as though we're heading into a storm; let's stop here in this town overnight and wait till it has passed.看来我们正在迎着风暴行驶,咱们在这个城市住一晚,等风暴过后再走。
- 迎着(风等)而行 take a course facing the direction of (usually the wind) head into sth
- head off1 (v.+adv.)
使改变方向; 阻挡,拦截(某人) cause to move in a different direction; travel in front of (sb), cutting across his course, usually so as to stop him
They were running towards the house, but we headed them off by calling from the field. 他们正朝着那幢房子跑去,但是我们从地里一喊,使他们改变了方向。
Whenever mother starts to talk about something that Jane is sensitive about, we try to head her off onto another subject. 每逢母亲谈及使简敏感的事,我们都尽量把她引向其他的话题。
If you take the next turning to the right, you'll be able to head them off at the big crossroad. 如果你在下一个转弯处向右转,你就能在大的十字路口拦住他们。
防止…发生 prevent (sth unpleasant, or sb from reaching an unpleasant subject)
He restrained himself in order to head off a quarrel. 他为了避免发生争吵而克制住自己。
You will have to speak to both groups of men quickly if you want to head off a nasty disagreement. 如果你想避免一场令人讨厌的争执,就必须跟两方的人谈一谈。
- 使改变方向; 阻挡,拦截(某人) cause to move in a different direction; travel in front of (sb), cutting across his course, usually so as to stop him
- head off2 (v.+prep.)
防止…发生 prevent (sth unpleasant, or sb from reaching an unpleasant subject) head sb off sth
We tried our best to head Henry off the topic, because we knew he'd reveal confidential information.我们竭力把亨利从那个话题上扯开,因为我们知道那样谈下去他会泄露机密。
- 防止…发生 prevent (sth unpleasant, or sb from reaching an unpleasant subject) head sb off sth
- head to (v.+prep.)
引至,通到 lead to head sb to sth
The girl headed her little sister to the school.姐姐把小妹妹领到学校。
〈非正〉引出好〔坏〕结果 cause to encourage (sth good or bad) effect head to sth
Disobeying the law can head to trouble.不守法可能会引起麻烦。
- 引至,通到 lead to head sb to sth
- head up (v.+adv.)
在…前面 go ahead of sth head sth ⇔ up
A band headed up the parade.一个乐队走在游行队伍的前面。
领导或主管(某个团体) lead (a group) head sth ⇔ up
She heads up the Student Union.她主管学生会的工作。
Who is the best person to head up the special committee?特别委员会负责人的最佳人选是谁?
(植物)长大 (of a plant) form a complete part, as of head or ears head up
When the green vegetables head up, we'll pick what we need and give the rest to our neighbours.蔬菜长大后,我们将采下我们所需要的,把其余的送给邻居们。
(报社)为(某专栏)安排大字标题 supply a headline for (a page) head sth ⇔ up
One of my jobs at the newspaper office was to head up the page before it was printed.我在报社的工作之一是在该页付印前标出标题。
- 在…前面 go ahead of sth head sth ⇔ up
- heads up (v.+adv.)
小心 be careful
Heads up, boys!A train is coming. 孩子们,当心点,火车开过来了。
- 小心 be careful
- beat sb's head off 彻底战胜某人
- bury one's head in the sand 闭眼不看即将来临的危险
- count heads 清点人数
- cut off sb's head 割下某人的头
- eat one's head off 贪吃
- give one's head for the washing 俯首受辱
- go to sb's head 使某人兴奋,冲昏某人的头脑
- hang one's head 把头低下来
- have a head on one's shoulders 有见识
- have a good head 有头脑
- have a hard head 头脑顽固
- have a long head 有远见
- hide one's head 把头藏起来
- hold one's headhigh 趾高气扬,扬眉吐气
- keep one's head 保持镇静
- keep one's head above water 免遭灭顶之灾,(考试)能及格,(生意)能维持
- knock head 叩头
- knock heads together 使两人的头相撞,用武力制止两人争吵
- knock one's head against a post 头撞在柱子上
- knock sb's head off 轻易胜过某人
- lay our heads together 聚在一起商量
- laugh one's head off 狂笑不已
- lift up one's head 振作起来
- lose one's head 丧命,慌乱
- make head against 迎头痛击
- make head against all difficulties 战胜一切困难
- make head against the storm (船等)顶着风暴前进
- make head with sth 使某事有进展
- put heads together 商议,图谋
- put a head on sb 击败某人
- put one's head out of the window 把头伸出窗外
- put sth out of one's head 不再想某事
- raise one's head 抬起头
- rest one's head on the pillow 把头靠在枕头上
- run one's head against a wall 试图干不可能的事
- run one's head off 狂笑不已
- shake one's head 摇头
- show one's head 到场,出现
- talk sb's head off 谈个不休使某人厌烦
- turn one's head 回头,头脑发热
- use one's head 动脑筋
- big head 大脑袋
- clear head 清醒的头脑,头脑清楚
- good head 头脑聪明
- grey head 长有灰白发的人,白发老人
- thick head 傻瓜,笨蛋
- white head 白发苍苍的人
- wooden head 呆头呆脑的人
- business head 经济头脑
- mathematics head 数学头脑
- department head 部门主任
- family head 户主
- figure head 挂名首脑,傀儡
- household head 户主
- by head and ears 粗暴地
- taller by a head 高出一头
- from head to foot 从头到脚,全身
- feel a pain in one's head 头痛
- be light in the head 头晕,头脑简单
- be weak in the head 不大聪明
- be off one's head 神经错乱
- on one's head 在头上,四脚朝天地,归罪于某人
- blow sb on the head 击某人的头
- strike sb on the head 击某人的头
- out of one's head 精神错乱
- over sb's head 超越某人的理解力
- head to head 头对头,交头接耳地
- head for a political problem 政治头脑
- a head of hair 一头头发
- head of a table 餐桌的首位
- head of state 国家元首
- head of the household 户主
- head of the list 名单之首
Kelsoe..had had his head..torn from his body.出自：R. Ingalls
The only starers were the glass eyes of a pair of buffalo heads.出自：J. Masters
If you head and hang all that offend that way.出自：Measure for Measure,Shakespeare
with bend head, Jack made a full confession.
- 短语bend down表示“弯腰”。
- head作物体的“上端,顶部,前端”解,是单数名词,常接定冠词the和of,组成the head of的结构。
- head表示抽象概念时,有时即使前面带有复数形式的所有格,也可以不加s,但作为具体概念时要加s。例如:They gave their lives for their country, and now they have no roof over their head.他们不惜为国家献出生命,可是现在他们连住房都没有。The company will pay the rent, keep a roof over our heads.公司会为我们付房租,使我们有住处。
- head在现代英语中还可作“思考”解。例如:The work is worth your while. Give it some head.这个活儿是值得你干的。想一想吧。
- 在足球术语中, head表示用头进球,可用作不及物动词或及物动词,其后常接介词in。
- head, chief, chieftain, president
这组词的共同意思是“头头”或“领导人”。1.president指“总统,主席”或“(大学)的校长”。2.chief通常指一个团体中身居最高职位的人或国家,也可指政府中某个部门的主管,多用于美式英语中,且具有较为庄重的色彩。例如:The mayor displaced the police chief.市长把警察局局长撤换了。The Queen is the chief of the armed forces by right.女王理应是武装部队的统帅。He was the chief of the clan.他是那个部族的族长。3.head一般用于比chief地位稍低的人,有时可与chief互换使用,多用于英式英语中。例如:Zhang Hua was chosen the head of the factory.张华被选为厂长。The original founder is still the head of the organization.最早的创始人仍是该组织的领导人。4.chieftain则专指一个部落的酋长、族长,或强盗、土匪等的头头。例如:He used to be a Highland chieftain.他过去是一个苏格兰高地的族长。John was the chieftain of a band of robbers.约翰是一伙强盗的头目。
- head for, head to
这两个短语中介词不同,意义用法也都不同:1.head for的意思是“引向某地〔某人〕”,而head to则是“引出…结果”。2.在用法方面, head for常用于进行体; head to一般不用于进行体。
- head up, heads up
这两个短语中的head一个是单数形式,一个是复数形式,但词义和用法完全不同。head up的意思是“在…前面”“领导或主管…”; 而heads up的意思是“小心,当心”。head up在句中作谓语,而heads up则在口语中用于独立祈使句。
误 They sold six million heads of horses, cattle and sheep to the state.
正 They sold six million head of horses, cattle and sheep to the state.
析 head用来表示动物数量时,不管前面的数字为多少, head总是用单数形式。
误 He has a good head to language.
正 He has a good head for language.
误 His father struck his head.
正 His father struck him on the head.
析 “敲打某人的头”要用strike sb on the head来表示。
误 They are all heading to Chicago.
正 They are all heading for Chicago.
错句：he bent his back to pick the coins.
纠正：he bent down to pick the coins.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语eh的afod；最初源自原始日耳曼语的khaubuthan，意为身体顶部。
- HEAD:High Energy Astrophysics Division (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics; Cambridge, Massachusetts)高能天体物理分区(哈佛史密森天文物理中心。剑桥,麻萨诸塞州)
- HEAD:Hand-held Encryption Authentication Device手持加密认证装置
- HEAD:High Energy Astrophysics Division (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)高能天体物理分区(哈佛史密森天文物理中心)
- head:简介 HEAD（海德）奥地利著名运动品牌－Hea 详细介绍 Head NV是世界领先的高级运动用品制造商和经销商。Head是以科技驱动的企业,其座右铭为:卓越表现源于卓越科技。Head 公司可以…