- n. 封面；盖子；套子；表面
- v. 覆盖；涉及；包含；掩护；给…保险
- vt. 覆盖,遮盖 shelter, hide sth; put sth under the shelter
- vt. 掩盖 conceal sth
- vt. 能达到,能控制 command; dominate
- vt. 涉及,包含 comprise; include
- [C]盖子,套子,覆盖物 sth that covers
- [C](书等的)封面、封皮 binding of a book, etc., an envelope or wrapper for mail
- [S]隐藏物,躲避处 place or area giving shelter or protection
- [S]幌子,伪装 means of concealing sth illegal, secret
- [S]掩蔽,掩护 protection from attack
- [C](一副)餐具,餐席(位) a table wetting for one person
a covering that serves to conceal or shelter something;
"a screen of trees afforded privacy"
"under cover of darkness"
"the brush provided a covert for game"
"the simplest concealment is to match perfectly the color of the background"
bedding that keeps a person warm in bed;
"he pulled the covers over his head and went to sleep"
the act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it;
"the cover concealed their guns from enemy aircraft"
the protective covering on the front, back, and spine of a book;
"the book had a leather binding"
a natural object that covers or envelops;
"under a covering of dust"
"the fox was flushed from its cover"
covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container);
"he removed the top of the carton"
"he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
"put the cover back on the kettle"
fire that makes it difficult for the enemy to fire on your own individuals or formations;
"artillery provided covering fire for the withdrawal"
a fixed charge by a restaurant or nightclub over and above the charge for food and drink
a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else;
"they made a cover of a Beatles' song"
a false identity and background (especially one created for an undercover agent);
"her new name and passport are cover for her next assignment"
provide with a covering or cause to be covered;
"cover her face with a handkerchief"
"cover the child with a blanket"
"cover the grave with flowers"
form a cover over;
"The grass covered the grave"
span an interval of distance, space or time;
"The war extended over five years"
"The period covered the turn of the century"
"My land extends over the hills on the horizon"
"This farm covers some 200 acres"
"The Archipelago continues for another 500 miles"
"The grant doesn't cover my salary"
act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression;
"This book deals with incest"
"The course covered all of Western Civilization"
"The new book treats the history of China"
include in scope; include as part of something broader; have as one's sphere or territory;
"This group encompasses a wide range of people from different backgrounds"
"this should cover everyone in the group"
travel across or pass over;
"The caravan covered almost 100 miles each day"
be responsible for reporting the details of, as in journalism;
"Snow reported on China in the 1950's"
"The cub reporter covered New York City"
hold within range of an aimed firearm
to take an action to protect against future problems;
"Count the cash in the drawer twice just to cover yourself"
hide from view or knowledge;
"The President covered the fact that he bugged the offices in the White House"
protect or defend (a position in a game);
"he covered left field"
maintain a check on; especially by patrolling;
"The second officer covered the top floor"
protect by insurance;
"The insurance won't cover this"
make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities;
"he is compensating for being a bad father"
invest with a large or excessive amount of something;
"She covered herself with glory"
help out by taking someone's place and temporarily assuming his responsibilities;
"She is covering for our secretary who is ill this week"
be sufficient to meet, defray, or offset the charge or cost of;
"Is this enough to cover the check?"
spread over a surface to conceal or protect;
"This paint covers well"
cover as if with a shroud;
"The origins of this civilization are shrouded in mystery"
copulate with a female, used especially of horses;
"The horse covers the mare"
put something on top of something else;
"cover the meat with a lot of gravy"
play a higher card than the one previously played;
"Smith covered again"
be responsible for guarding an opponent in a game
sit on (eggs);
"The female covers the eggs"
clothe, as if for protection from the elements;
"cover your head!"
- The front cover of the novel has been torn off.
- I can't make the cover of the tin fit on.
- The car should be housed with a cover for a longer time's parking.
- Tooth-colored porcelain will cover the metal crowns.
- The collective trichome cover of a plant surface is called pubescence.
- Snow covered the ground.
- The talks are expected to cover other topics too.
- The dictionary's articles cover a wide range of topics.
- We tried to find cover from the storm.
- Do not try to cover a mistake.
- Snow covered the ground.
- The floods covered large areas on both banks of the river.
- The thief covered his tracks.
- The thick wood covered the guerrillas.
- He tried to cover his mistakes.
- He tried to cover his nervousness.
- Our school covers an area of 100 mu .
- I want to cover 100 miles before it gets dark.
- I had covered 200 pages by ten o'clock last night.
- The price just covers the cost.
- Will ￡10 cover the cost of a new skirt?
- Do you have enough to cover all your household expenses?
- Recorded history covers a period of five thousand years.
- Our heavy artillery covered every possible approach to the town.
- This dictionary does not cover all the English verbs.
- Our best reporter covered the trial.
- The top of the mountain was covered by a cloud.
- Carriage is not covered by the quotation.
- When the water boils, take the cover from the pan.
- The chairs are fitted with loose covers.
- Tom pushes back the covers and gets out of bed.
- If you are cold in the night get some more the covers from the wardrobe.
- He did cartoons and covers for the New Yorker magazine.
- Her portraits appeared on several covers of the magazines.
- The book was bound in paper covers.
- She will some day put the story of her life between the covers of a book.
- The huntsmen drew the cover.
- A thicket makes good cover for animals to hide in.
- His business was a cover for drug dealing.
- The spy's cover was that she was a consultant engineer.
- Artillery gave cover while the infantry advanced.
- Covers were laid for eight.
- At some night clubs you have to pay a cover charge even when you don't order anything.
- cover against (v.+prep.)
cover sb/sth against sth
Insurance companies try to persuade young married men to cover themselves against illness or death.
These goods are covered against fire.
- cover for (v.+prep.)
代替,顶替 take charge of or assume responsibility for another person's duties or work
cover for sb
Will you cover for me at the telephone switchboard while I run out to post a letter?
John's ill today so will you cover for him,Jean?
- cover in1 (v.+adv.)
遮盖住,填满 complete the covering of; place or spread sth upon or over sth
cover sth ⇔ in
They have covered in the whole market.
The workmen covered in the hole in the road.
The car park is covered in to keep your car dry.
The grave was quickly covered in.
- cover in2 (v.+prep.)
以…覆盖或包裹 complete the covering of
cover sb/sth in sth
A passing lorry covered us in mud from head to foot.
She covered her face in her hands.
He is covered in spots; I think he's ill.
Just give me ten minutes to clean myself up; I'm covered in oil.
The trees are covered in new leaves now that Spring is here.
- cover over (v.+adv.)
用遮盖物保护,在…上盖上东西 protect with a cover, spread sth over
cover sth ⇔ over
Be quick, cover the blood-stains over.
The peasants covered the rice over before the rain began.
The ground was covered over with snow.
- cover up (v.+adv.)
掩盖,掩饰 hide sth wrong or bad, protect sb else from blame or punishment
It's cold and you should cover up warmly.
天冷,你要穿暖和些。cover sb/oneself/sth ⇔ up
He covered the child up with a blanket.
Cover the baby's feet up, or he'll catch cold.
Cover it up so that nobody will see it.
He advised me to cover myself up well.
他劝我穿暖和些。cover sb/sth ⇔ up
He tried to cover up the gun.
She tried to cover up her nervousness as she waited to make her speech.
The authorities were able to cover up what really happened.
当局设法掩盖了事件的真相。cover up for sb
Naturally his wife will try to cover up for him, so we can't believe everything she says.
If I'm late tomorrow you'll cover up for me, won't you?
He says he did it, but he's covering up for a friend.
- cover with (v.+prep.)
被(感情)所压倒 be overcome by (a strong feeling)
- break cover
从隐蔽处出来 come out of hiding
- cover girl
(杂志)的封面女郎 bookbinding girl
- read from cover to cover
从头看〔读〕到底 read from top to end
read sth from cover to cover
He read the book from cover to cover.
- take cover
- under cover
在信封或邮包中 in an envelope or parcel
- under (the) cover of
以…为口实 on the excuse of
- cover a dish 把碟子盖起来
- cover a saucer 把茶托盖起来
- cover a wall 涂刷墙壁
- cover all the expenses 包括一切费用
- cover consumer price rises 抵偿消费价格上涨
- cover ground 覆盖大地
- cover miles 走了…英里
- cover one's confusion 掩饰狼狈相
- cover one's eye 捂住眼睛
- cover one's face 捂住脸
- cover one's knees 盖住双膝
- cover one's mistake 掩盖错误
- cover one's shame 掩饰羞耻
- cover one's tracks 掩藏踪迹或证据
- cover space 占空间
- cover the case 涉及〔包括〕…情形
- cover the distance 走完这路程
- cover the landing of an army 掩护军队登陆
- cover years 有几年
- cover all over 沾满
- cover adequately 足够支付
- cover amply 足够支付
- cover barely 刚够支付
- cover completely 完全遮住
- cover conically 圆锥形状地覆盖
- cover flimsily 不可信地报导
- cover frailly 脆弱地保护
- cover fully 完全地概括
- cover garishly 不实地报导
- cover grotesquely 可笑地报导
- cover inadequately 不够支付
- cover instructively 启发性地讨论
- cover loathsomely 令人厌恶地掩饰
- cover luxuriantly 文字华丽地报导
- cover partially 部分地遮盖住
- cover perpetually 终年覆盖
- cover protectively 防护性地遮盖
- cover safely 安全地掩护
- cover thoroughly 透彻地概括
- cover in 填满
- cover over 盖住,覆盖
- cover up 掩盖,遮盖,隐藏,蒙盖,包庇某人
- cover up one's tracks 掩盖踪迹或证据
- cover against 保险,抵偿
- cover oneself behind 躲在…后面
- cover by 被盖住了
- cover for 代替
- cover from 掩藏在…中
- cover into the Treasury 解交国库
- cover with 用…盖住
- cover oneself with 蒙受,获得
- attach cover 附有套子
- back cover 封底
- beat the cover 在鸟兽隐藏处搜索
- break cover (猎物)由隐蔽处窜出
- do cover 画封面
- draw a cover 把禽兽从丛林中赶出
- find cover 找到隐藏处
- form cover 形成覆盖层
- improvise cover 临时拼凑套子,临时准备餐具
- lift cover 吊起盖子
- need a new cover 需要一个新盖子
- ornament cover 装饰美化隐蔽处
- provide cover for 为…提供隐蔽处
- raise cover 抬起盖子
- remove cover 移动盖子
- screw on cover 拧紧盖子
- seek cover from 寻找…的掩蔽处
- take cover 利用掩护物
- take off the cover 揭去盖子
- take to cover 喜欢这套子
- wrap in cover 封在信封里,包裹在…内
- accidental cover 临时隐蔽处
- coarse cover 粗糙的盖子
- conical cover 圆锥形的罩
- detachable cover 可拆开的盖子
- dewy cover 带有露水的覆盖物
- enameled cover 搪瓷盖
- ephemeral cover 暂时隐蔽处
- excellent cover 顶好的封面
- frail cover 经不起攻击〔风浪〕的隐蔽处
- front cover 封面
- garish cover 色彩艳丽的封面
- ghostly cover 鬼魂的隐蔽处
- illuminated cover 用经过装饰的字画等装饰的封面
- lagging cover (汽锅的)包衣
- practical cover 实用的罩子
- protective cover 保护层
- reversible cover 双面用盖子
- chair cover 椅子套
- bed cover 床罩
- drain cover (沟、渠)盖,下水道盖
- dust cover 防尘护罩
- engine cover 发动机罩
- floor cover 地毯
- flux cover 熔剂覆盖层
- glass cover 玻璃罩
- magazine cover 杂志封面
- pile cover 桩帽
- pillow cover 枕头套
- plastic cover 塑料封面
- quilt cover 被套
- seat cover 椅套
- cover bead 外胎唇
- cover charge 服务(附加)费
- cover coat 盖层
- cover crop 护田
- cover die 盖模
- cover girl 封面女郎
- cover glass 盖片
- cover note 保险证明
- cover paper 平装(书)
- cover plate 盖片
- cover story 封面故事
- cover transformation 改变封面
- cover tyre 外胎
- cover wire 外层钢丝
The alluvial cover which rests upon the rocks of this district.出自： W. Buckland
Cover the saucepan for an instant.出自： A. B. Soyer
The winter sun had..been covered by fresh clouds.出自： R. C. Hutchinson
He wore a cap to cover his baldness.出自： J. Thurber
I covered my face with my hands.出自： P. Mortimer
- cover也可作“隐藏物”“躲避处”解,是把事物隐藏起来以确保安全的保护物,它既可指野生动物找到的树丛等天然的躲避处,也可指阻挡袭击的物体、房屋等,引申可表示“幌子”“伪装”,指隐瞒非法事物、秘密等的手段或指虚假的身份; 也可表示为“掩蔽”“掩护”，作此解时只用作单数形式。
- cover还可作“(一副)餐具,餐席(位)”解, cover用复数形式,其前加定冠词the，特指“毯子”“被子”。
- be covered by, be covered with
- The mountain is covered with〔by〕 snow all the year round.山上终年积雪。
- The mountains are covered with forests.
- His teeth were never entirely covered by his lips.
- 2.当介词宾语为一件较小的覆盖物(如:cloth, book)时,一般要用with,因为此时往往用“人”作为行为施动者。例如:
- The table was covered with a table cloth (by me).(我在)桌上盖着一块桌布。
- cover, conceal, dissemble, hide
- hide是这组词中含义最广泛的词,既可指故意的隐藏,也可指无意中偶然的隐藏,有时还指客观上某物被另一物所掩盖; conceal强调故意将事物隐藏起来,不使他人知道; dissemble和cover指用言语或行动来隐藏或掩饰真正的感情、思想、意向、计划等, cover有蒙混过关或不被人发觉的意味; 而dissemble指可以令人产生一种错觉。例如:
- The trees concealed me from view.
- He was thinking the enemy must have hidden themselves somewhere.
- How can we cover up our mistakes?
- 我们怎样才能把我们的错误掩盖起 来呢?
- She dissembled her anger with a smile.
- cover, protection, refuge, shelter
- 这组词都是指一处保护某人使不受袭击或伤害的地方,但含义有所不同:cover的意思是“隐蔽物”“躲避处”,是把事物隐藏起来以确保安全的保护物,它既可指野生动物找到的树丛等天然的躲避处,也可指阻挡袭击的物体、房屋等; protection的意思是“保护物”“保护”,在这组词中,它的词义最笼统,用途最广,可指任何阻挡伤害或破坏的事物; refuge和shelter都用以指无家可归的人能够得到照顾和施舍的地方。例如:
- Take cover in the barn as soon as you hear gun fire.
- A strong defence system offers protection from sudden attack by the enemy.
- 坚固的防御系统提供保护以防备敌人 的突袭。
- The trees formed a shelter over our heads.
- He has found a refuge.
- ☆ 12世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的covrir；最初源自拉丁语的cooperire，意为完全盖住，遮住。
- include n.