- 厄尔利（Jubal Anderson Early ，1816-1894，美国南北战争时期的南方联盟将领）
- 早; 先; 提早 before the usual, arranged or expected time
- 在初期,在早期 near the beginning of a period
- 早的,提早的 arriving, developing, happening, etc. before the usual, arranged or expected time
- 早期的; 清早的; 早年的 happening towards the beginning of the day, one's life, a period of time, etc.
- 早日的,及早的 happening soon
at or near the beginning of a period of time or course of events or before the usual or expected time;
"an early warning"
"an early death"
"took early retirement"
"an early spring"
"early varieties of peas and tomatoes mature before most standard varieties"
being or occurring at an early stage of development;
"in an early stage"
"early forms of life"
"an early computer"
belonging to the distant past;
"the early inhabitants of Europe"
"in other times"
"at an early age"
of an early stage in the development of a language or literature;
"the Early Hebrew alphabetical script is that used mainly from the 11th to the 6th centuries B.C."
"Early Modern English is represented in documents printed from 1476 to 1700"
expected in the near future;
"look for an early end to the negotiations"
during an early stage;
"early on in her career"
before the usual time or the time expected;
"she graduated early"
"the house was completed ahead of time"
in good time;
"he awoke betimes that morning"
- They figured on your arriving early.
- The apple trees are fruiting early this year.
- Could you come back home early this evening?
- John will doubtless come early as he always does.
- It's too early for getting up.
- This Greek dish is of a very early date.
- Please make every endeavor to be early.
- His genius as a painter flowered very early.
- He got skinning in his blood at a very early age.
- Sorry,I can't be here so early.
- Please come early.
- He got up exceedingly early this morning.
- Mike comes to school earlier than Kate.
- I got up early so as to be in time for the train.
- I'll have to see about your request to leave early.
- Tired out after her long walk, she went to bed early.
- Shop early and avoid the crowd.
- Dusk sets early in winter.
- Man learned early to use tools.
- His genius as a painter flowered very early.
- Her musical talent blossomed early.
- Earlier this week he told me he was leaving for London.
- Although their daughter is in her early twenties, they still treat her as a child.
- The sun is not hot early in the day.
- The early bird catches the worm.
- He is an early riser.
- I hope for an early answer to my question.
- Man's earliest implements were carved from stone and bone.
- The early morning train is being taken off for the summer.
- She returned in the early morning.
- We were up talking about various things until the early hours of the morning, and didn't turn in until past two o'clock.
- In his early years he liked ships.
- He graduated from an academy of music in his early days.
- Waterfalls are from very early times a favourite theme for the painters.
- In addition to stone tools, the early people must have made pottery in this area.
- The archaeologists uncovered an early Egyptian city.
- It is an early tool in recent excavations.
- Please reply at your earliest convenience.
- You are early.
- The crops and the fruits are early this year.
- It is still quite early.
- It is better to be too early than too late.
- The train was ten minutes early.
- It is too early for getting up.
- It is early for her twenties.
- early and late
从早到晚 at all times
- early or late
早晚 sooner or later
- early days (yet)
尚早 too soon to be sure how a situation,etc. will develop
- go to earlier graves than
比…死得早 die earlier than sb
- keep early hours
早睡早起 be early to bed and early to rise
- quite early 很早
- too early 太早
- appropriately early 早得适当
- comfortably early 早得适宜
- conveniently early 早得合适
- exceptionally early 特别地早
- gloriously early 早得恰当
- needlessly early 不必要地早
- remarkably early 非常早
- ridiculously early 早得可笑
- sufficiently early 很早
- unnecessarily early 早得不必要
- unpleasantly early 早得令人不愉快
- unusually early 特别地早
Our most important are our earliest years.出自： W. Cowper
She had come up..by an early train.出自： H. James
My earliest memory is a smell of bacon.出自： Day Lewis
Women pick up these conventions at such an early age.出自： I. Murdoch
In the early hours of the next morning.出自： U. Bentley
Voltaire perceived very early in life that to be needy was to be dependent.出自： J. Morley
We got out early, just after sunrise.出自： S. Leacock
One clear, bright morning early in April.出自： K. Amis
- early用作副词意思是“早; 先; 提早”,也可作“在初期,在早期”“从前,古时候”解。
- early作形容词用时,意为“早的,提早的; 早日的,及早的; 早期的; 早年的”。
- early, early on
- early on原为英式英语,现在美式英语也通用,在非正式文体中须去掉on。其意思是“初时,在较早的阶段,早些时候”。有些语法学家认为这和later on一样属于用词不够经济的例子,但在实际英语中, early on经常有人用。例如:
- Mary came to see you earlier on, but you weren't at home then.玛丽早些时候来看望过你,但你当时不在家。
- early, ago
- 两者都可表达“某时之前若干时间”。其区别在于:如果是从现在起向过去推算,用表示时间度量的短语加ago,并与动词的一般过去时连用; 如果表示从过去时刻向更深远的过去推算,则用earlier,并常与动词的过去完成时连用。例如:
- Stirring scene from the film still sticks in my mind, though I saw it several years ago.虽然这部影片我是几年前看的,但那激动人心的场面仍然印在我的脑海里。
- Four days earlier his foot had been bitten by a poisonous snake.4天前他的脚被毒蛇咬了一下。
- early, quick, shortly, soon
- 这组词的共同意思是“不久”“即刻”“快”。其区别在于:early常指时间比原来或通常早些; quick含有匆忙、仓促之意; soon指在某一特定时间过现在之后不久,多用于将来时或过去时,通常放在句末或主要动词之前; shortly与soon同义,但比soon更郑重,常用于新闻报道等。例如:
- You have to think quick with the mind and act quick with the body.你必须脑子转得快,行动也得快。
- I came early, and had to wait for others, but soon after five o'clock they appeared.我来得早,得等其他人,可是刚过5点他们就都来了。
- Shortly after that, the police arrived.那事情发生不久警察就到了。
- The train will arrive in the early morning.
- The train will arrive early in the morning.
- 第一句中的early是形容词,修饰morning; 第二句中的early是副词,修饰in the morning。
误 It happened on a cold morning in the early of January,1980.
正 It happened on a cold morning early in January,1980.
析 “1月初”在英语里是early in January。
误 You early; none of the others are here yet.
正 You are early; none of the others are here yet.
误 Earlier to bed and earlier to rise is a good habit which every one of us should practise.
正 Early to bed and early to rise is a good habit which every one of us should practise.
析 early to bed and early to rise是习惯用语,其中early不可用比较级形式。