- (表示位置)在…的后面 at or to the rear of; at or to the back of
- (表示时间)迟于,比…晚 later than
- (表示比较)落后于,不如 not having made so much progress as
- (表示顺序)在身后; 跟着; 通过…之后 at the back or be attached to; after one has passed through
- (表示状态)被…遮挡; 隐藏在…后面 hidden or concealed or screened by
- 在后面; 向后 at or towards the back
- (落)在后面,(留)在原处 in the place where sth/sb was before
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on;
"he deserves a good kick in the butt"
"are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
having the lower score or lagging position in a contest;
"behind by two points"
"the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
in or to or toward the rear;
"he followed behind"
"seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front"
"the final runners were far behind"
remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from;
"when he died he left much unfinished work behind"
"left a large family behind"
"the children left their books behind"
"he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
"the clock is almost an hour slow"
"my watch is running behind"
in or into an inferior position;
"fell behind in his studies"
"their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
"he fell behind with his mortgage payments"
"a month behind in the rent"
"a company that has been run behindhand for years"
"in arrears with their utility bills"
- Who is the girl standing behind Richard?
- The train was 10 minutes behind time.
- Britain is behind Japan in developing modern technologies.
- Behind your every action is self-interest.
- The police were hard behind the escapees.
- He caught up with the parade and walked behind.
- The lights of the city were left behind us soon as we drove along the street.
- You'll lag behind if you don't study harder.
- He didn't want to fall behind in his lessons.
- I fell behind in my payments.
- She was never behind in offering advice.
- Little Tom gave him a kick in the behind.
- Behind Sandy is a large mirror.
- There is a raincoat behind the door.
- She was more than two hours behind her appointment time.
- That pleasant moon was hit behind a cloud.
- She had not known there was a real reason behind it all.
- He has left a sweet memory behind him.
- He left the studio quietly, locking the outer door behind him.
- There was rain behind the wind.
- He was behind the others in ability, but before them in diligence.
- He has someone behind him.
- Don't look behind or you may fall.
- I had to stay behind after school.
- He is two months behind with his rent.
- In terms of economic strength she is far behind.
- My watch was behind.
- The enemy attacked us from behind.
- behind the scenes
在后台；在幕后；在暗中behind the main stage;out of sight of the audience;in private
- behind the times
- behind time
在指定的时间之后，迟later than the appointed or proper time
- drop〔fall〕 behind 落后于;落在…的后面
- get behind 支持,赞助,解释,找出原因
- go behind 调查,研究,审查
- leave behind 遗留,留下,丢弃
- lie behind 是(某事的)原因,是(某事的)理由;对…说来已成往事
- put...behind 把某事忘掉
- rally behind （把…）集合…在背后
- set behind 抛弃
- stand behind 作后盾,支持,拥护；是…的指导原则
- throw one's weight behind 支持
- behind bars 坐牢
- behind closed doors 秘密地
- behind sb's back 背着某人，暗中
- behind schedule 在预定时间之后
- behind the scenes 在幕后,秘密地
- behind the eightball 处于不利地位，处于困境
- behind time 在指定的时间以后，迟，晚
- behind the times 落后,不合时宜的
- not dry behind the ears 乳臭未干的，没见过世面的
- wet behind the ears 乳臭未干的，幼稚的
- drop〔fall〕 behind 掉队,落后
- get behind 落后，跟不上
- hang behind 落后；逗留不走
- leave behind 忘带；留下
- look behind 向后看
- remain behind 逗留，留下
- run behind 没有赶上(会议、电影等)时间表
- stay behind 留下
- wait behind 留下
- walk behind 走在后面
To leave this world behinde, is death.出自： Donne
The salt is left entirely behind, and nothing but pure water evaporated.出自： T. H. Huxley
Conditions for those who remained behind were also bad.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
I left the table behind In the attic.出自： P. Jay
- behind time, behind the times
- 这两个短语的意义并不相同，behind time意为“迟到；误时；不及时”；而behind the times则意为“落后；跟不上时代；不合时宜”。
- behind, after
- after往往表示时间的先后; behind多表示位置或方向的先后,与动态动词连用时表示运动方向。
- behind, back
- 这两个词都有“在…之后”的意思。其区别在于:behind是介词,指在某物或某时间之后; back是副词,与另外的物〔时间〕无关。例如:
- But communications were back to normal this morning.但是今天上午通讯恢复了正常。
- I want no monkey business behind my back.我不准任何人背着我捣鬼。