- v. 帮助；有助于；促进；擅自拿取；（不）能防止或避免某事物
- n. 帮助；援助；帮手；佣人；仆人
- int. 救命！
- [与 can或 cannot连用]避免，阻止，抑制，克制
- vt. & vi. 帮助 do sth for the benefit of sb in need
- vt. & vi. 有助于,有利于 be of aid or use to
- vt. 避免; 抑制,克制 avoid; restrain
- [U]帮助,援助 the act of helping; aid; assistance
- [S]助手,帮忙的人或物 a person or a thing that helps
- [C]佣人,女佣 domestic servant, especially female house servant
- [C]补救办法,治疗方法 a method of setting right; a way of curing diseases
the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose;
"he gave me an assist with the housework"
"could not walk without assistance"
"rescue party went to their aid"
"offered his help in unloading"
a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose;
"my invaluable assistant"
"they hired additional help to finish the work"
"visual aids in teaching"
a means of serving;
"of no avail"
"there's no help for it"
give help or assistance; be of service;
"Everyone helped out during the earthquake"
"Can you help me carry this table?"
"She never helps around the house"
improve the condition of;
"These pills will help the patient"
be of use;
"This will help to prevent accidents"
abstain from doing; always used with a negative;
"I can't help myself--I have to smoke"
"She could not help watching the sad spectacle"
help to some food; help with food or drink;
"I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
contribute to the furtherance of;
"This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries"
take or use;
"She helped herself to some of the office supplies"
improve; change for the better;
"New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture"
- Your advice helped me a lot.
- I'll do everything possible to help you.
- Trade helps industry to develop.
- This latest development doesn't exactly help.
- Local assembly will help sale to some extent.
- He's been helping himself to my stationery.
- He can't help having big ears.
- She burst out laughing and couldn't help herself.
- Thank you for your kind help.
- You must reckon without his help in this matter.
- We'll need outside help before we can finish.
- You're a good help to me.
- The help has not come this morning .
- Aaah, the monster's coming. Run! Help!
- We'll be happy to help if you need us.
- There must be some other reason for him refusing to help.
- I've got about 30 pence, will that help?
- An aspirin will help.
- I get terrible headaches but it helps if I lie down in the dark for a while.
- Mere words won't help.
- This reference book helps a lot.
- What you say helps enormously.
- I did my best to comfort her, but it didn't seem to help.
- Help, help!A boy is drowning.
- It is a teacher's business to help his pupils.
- We decided to send a veteran surgeon to help them.
- He had an enormous kind heart and would always be ready to help others.
- We will do our utmost to help these unfortunate people.
- We'll help the school as far as we can.
- Trade helps the development of industry.
- His sensible suggestions helped the negotiations immensely.
- He read Shakespeare to help his English.
- What have you got that will help a cold?
- Sorry I broke the cup, but I can't help it.
- She burst her crying; she couldn't help it.
- I realized my voice was shaking when I spoke, but I couldn't help it.
- If he doesn't listen to our advice, we can't help it.
- Would you help to cut down the tree?
- The villagers are helping to search the woods for the missing child.
- This dictionary will help improve your English.
- All this has helped raise farm yields steadily.
- The railways recently constructed have helped to promote our domestic trade.
- That helped to ease his grief.
- He has an obligation to help support his parents.
- It shall be our constant endeavour to help improve the living standard of our people.
- Words and actions should help to unite, and not divide, the people of our various nationalities.
- Will you help me prepare for the party?
- Help me sit up,Facer—I can't sleep.
- We must help him correct his shortcomings.
- Please come along and help me carry the big box upstairs.
- Help me put the room to rights.
- Will you help me move the table?
- Let's go to help them to unload the truck.
- Something went wrong with his machine so I helped him fix it.
- In this way they helped us build our confidence in victory.
- He cut a stout stick to help him walk.
- The travel service can help you to make onward reservations.
- A knowledge of English grammar will help you to speak less bad English.
- Thought helps us solve problems.
- This helped them adopt a correct attitude towards the masses.
- This helped him appreciate his advantageous position.
- You will be helped by them to go over your lessons.
- He has offered help.
- Can I give you any help?
- I appreciate your help.
- We need help but we will not beg for it.
- I can't promise my immediate help.
- I got help from her.
- Thank you for your help.
- We shall need outside help for this job.
- They all look to you for help.
- She called to her father for help.
- They didn't care how much help they could get from outside.They would rely chiefly on themselves.
- We declined his offer of help.
- Deeds are better than words when people are in need of help.
- But for your help,I might have failed.
- He has fulfilled the task through their help.
- Through your help I succeeded.
- I can't lift this box without help.
- I couldn't have done it without your help.
- The girl is a good help to her mother.
- He is rather a hindrance than a help to us.
- His advice was a great help to our success.
- Aspirin may be a help to your headache.
- I find this tool is a great help when I dig the garden.
- There is a miner attack in words but a major help in deeds.
- We require extra help.
- They need a domestic help.
- He laid off half of his help.
- The cook is in charge of the kitchen help.
- The help are demanding higher wages.
- She has hired a new help.
- It is beyond help.
- The patient is past medical help.
- can't be helped
没有法子的事,只好这样 cannot prevent or avoid sth
- can't help but
必须; 只好 must; can only
- can't help oneself
不能控制自己,不能自拔 cannot control oneself
- can't help v-ing
〈英〉抑制不住,禁不住 can't restrain or prevent
can't help v-ing
When she saw the strange and funny person, she could not help laughing.
We couldn't help being moved by his perseverance.
I couldn't help overhearing what they said.
I can't help feeling that it was a mistake to let him go.
我不禁感到让他离开是个错误。can't help sb/sth v-ing
I can't help him saying that.
I can't help my wife having so many dull relations.
She couldn't help the tears of rage rolling down her face.
- help along〔forward〕 (v.+adv.)
有助于发展 produce favourable conditions for
- help back (v.+adv.)
搀扶着返回 assist (sb) to return
help sb back
There's no hope to succeed, the secretary is helping the old manager back sadly.
The sick old lady has fallen on the floor; we must help her back into bed.
They helped him back to an honest life.
- help down1 (v.+adv.)
帮助把…搬〔扶〕下来 help sb lift sth; help sb come down
help sth down
Hurry! hurry! the police will come no time; help the box down; throw it into the car.
赶快!赶快!警察快来了; 帮助把箱子搬下来,塞进车里。help sb down from sth
He helped the little boy down from a horse.
The nurse is helping a sick person down from his bed.
- help down2 (v.+prep.)
帮助某人下到…来 help (sb) go down
help sb down sth
It is regarded as a natural behavior that a man helps the old down stairs.
- help in1 (v.+adv.)
搀扶着进去 help (sb) go into a place
help sb in
He helped his grandmother in.
- help in2 (v.+prep.)
搀扶着进入 help (sb) enter into a place
help in sth
They often help in the farm work in our village.
We sent a lot of people there to help in the construction.
我们派了很多人到那里去帮助施工。help sb in sth/v-ing
Their aim is to help the working people in their struggle for emancipation.
I helped her in unpacking.
Your words have helped us a great deal in understanding your people.
These reference books will help you in improving your maths.
这些参考书将会帮你提高数学水平。help sb in sth
A new Bluebird stopped in front of the door, and a gentleman helped a tall lady in it.
- help into (v.+prep.)
帮助进入 help (sb) enter into
help sb into sth
The nurses helped the wounded soldiers into the hospital.
Can you help me into the yard?My football has been kicked into it.
Kehr helped me into my coat.
- help off (v.+adv.)
帮助离开 help (sb) to leave
help sb off with sth
We helped the injured man off with his clothes.
Please help me off with my boots; they are so tight!
请帮我脱掉靴子,它们实在是太紧了。help sb off
This wall is too high for me to jump from, will you help me off?
The people are in danger; we must help them off.
- help on (v.+adv.)
help sb on with sth
The boy is too little to dress himself, so his mother helps him on with the clothes.
这个小孩太小不能自己穿衣服,所以他的妈妈帮助他穿衣服。help sb on
They always helped us on in times of difficulty.
What you have passed on to us today will help us on very much,I'm sure.
- help oneself
自取,自用 take oneself; use oneself
Have a cigarette.Help yourself.
Can I borrow a pencil?—Yes, help yourself.
我能借用一支铅笔吗?——可以,自己拿吧。help oneself to sth
Help yourselves to the food on the table.
He helped himself to some more fish.
He got up and helped himself to more coffee.
Help yourself to some sweets.
The guests help themselves to the refreshments at the buffet.
The money was on the table and no one was there, so he helped himself to it.
Those thieves have helped themselves to my jewels.
- help out (v.+adv.)
帮助,帮助…出来 render assistance; help to get out
Help out, don't hinder.
She dug wild vegetables and picked over cinders to help out.
They helped out by making air blowers for us.
On Sundays we used to go back to help out in our factories.
A good dictionary will help out in one's reading.
一部好词典对阅读是有帮助的。help sb/sth out (of sth)
A sheep fell into a pit, and I helped it out.
The driver is helping an old man out of his taxi.
I can't work out this math problem.Please help me out.
I don't know how to translate this sentence.Can you help me out?
Would ten yuan help you out? 10
She gave part of her wage to help out the families of those comrades who had died for our cause.
The neighbours were good enough to help us out by watering the plants while we were away.
Don't count on other people to help you out of trouble.
别指望他人能帮你摆脱困境。help out with sth/v-ing
She often helped out with washing in the hotel.
Bob helped out with milking every morning.
- help over (v.+prep.)
帮助(某人)克服〔对付〕 help (sb) to deal with (a difficulty)
- help up (v.+adv.)
帮助往上搬 help (sb) lift (sth) up
help sb up
Since the time that the boy helped the girl up when she fell down, they have been falling into love.
He helped the wounded boy up to his feet by holding his arm.
他搀扶着那受伤男孩的手臂帮他站起来。help sth up
Tomorrow morning we will move into a new building, so we need hands to help the furniture up.
- help with (v.+prep.)
用…来帮助 assist (sb/sth) with (sth)
help with sth
During busy seasons they help with field work.
At home he helps with whatever jobs there are.
May I help with the washing-up?
我帮你洗餐具好吗?help sb with sth
My mother used to help me with my lessons.
Would you help me with my English?
Please help me with this luggage.
He often helps his mother with her housework.
I want to persuade him to help me with the great work I am doing.
When the autumn harvest is coming, we help the farmers with their corn.
This organization may be able to help you with such information.
该组织也许能帮助你获得这种信息。help with sth
The government helped with materials and money.
政府帮助提供材料和资金。help sb/sth with sth
I asked the bank to help me with a loan.
They helped us with a few suggestions.
He helped me enormously with advice on how to do ideological work.
They also help nearby factories with technical advice.
- not more than one can help
能少尽量少 as little as is possible or necessary
- so help me (God)
我发誓; 老天作证 I swear it
- come to sb's help
帮某人的忙 help sb
- no help for it
无法避免〔挽回〕 no way of avoiding
- with the help of
借助于,利用 by means of
- help a cold 治好感冒
- help digestion 促进消化
- help oneself 自取,自用
- help sb's house cleaning 帮助某人搞卫生
- help sb's wound 治好伤口
- help the development of industry 促进工业的发展
- help the good work 促成美事
- help the poor 帮助穷人
- help this project 帮助进行这项工程
- help beneficially 有利地帮助
- help cheerfully 乐意地帮助
- help effectually 有效地帮助
- help enormously 很有帮助
- help freely 自由地帮助
- help generously 慷慨地帮助
- help greatly 大大地有助于
- help immensely 有力地促成
- help kindly 友好地帮助
- help leisurely 从容地克制
- help materially 实质性地帮助
- help personally 个人地帮助
- help perversely 反常地帮助
- help possibly 尽可能地帮助
- help really 真正地帮助
- help sympathetically 热情地帮助
- help along 搀扶着前进,有助于发展
- help back 搀扶着返回
- help down 帮助,搀扶(某人)下来,帮助(某人)把东西搬下来
- help in 搀扶着进去
- help off 帮助或扶(某人)离开
- help on 鼓励,促进…
- help out 帮助或搀扶(某人)出来,帮助(某人)解决难题或解决暂时之需
- help up 把(某人)扶起来,帮助(某人)往上搬东西
- help up with 为…所累
- help about the house 帮助干家务
- help at home 贴补家用
- help sb in his work 帮助某人工作
- help sb into his coat 帮某人穿上衣服
- help sb into the car 扶某人坐进车内
- help sb off the horse 扶某人下马
- help sb on the horse 扶某人上马
- help sb out of his difficulties 帮助某人摆脱困境
- help sb over the fence 帮助某人摆脱困难
- help sb through the university 资助某人读完大学
- help sb to bed 扶某人上床
- help oneself to sth 自取,自用
- help sb to the bank 扶某人上岸
- help oneself to the wine 自斟自饮
- help sb with a loan 用一笔贷款来帮助某人
- help sb with lessons 帮助某人复习功课
- help sb with money 用钱帮助某人
- help yourself without ceremony 请自用,不要拘束
- accept help 接受援助
- acknowledge help 对(别人提供的帮助)表示感谢
- ask for help 请求帮助
- beg for help 乞求帮助
- call for help 要求帮助
- come to sb's help 帮某人的忙
- cry for help 求救
- depend on sb's help 依靠某人的帮助
- enlist sb's help 获得某人的帮助
- expect help 期待援助
- extend help 提供帮助
- get help 得到帮助
- give help 给予帮助
- have help 得到帮助
- invoke sb's help 恳求某人的帮助
- need help 需要援助
- obtain help 得到援助
- offer help 提供帮助
- promise help 答应帮助
- provide help 提供帮助
- receive help 得到帮助
- refuse help 拒绝帮助
- seek help 寻求帮助
- employ help 雇工
- engage help 雇工
- hire help 雇工
- lay off help 辞退佣人
- require extra help 需要临时工
- active help 积极的帮助
- any help 任何帮助
- appropriate help 适当的帮助
- big help 很大的帮助
- efficient help 有效的帮助
- emergency help 紧急援助
- financial help 财政援助
- friendly help 友好的援助
- generous help 慨慷的援助
- good help 很大的帮助
- great help 巨大的帮助
- human help 人力上的帮助
- immediate help 紧急援助
- important help 重要的帮助
- invaluable help 非常宝贵的援助
- kind help 好意相助
- kindly help 亲切的帮助
- little help 没有什么帮助
- much help 很大的相助
- mutual help 互助
- pecuniary help 资助
- secret help 秘密援助
- some help 一些帮助
- special help 特殊帮助
- substantial help 巨大的帮助
- tremendous help 极大的帮助
- useful help 有益的帮助
- valuable help 宝贵的援助
- outside help 外援
- printed helps 参考书籍
- skilled help 技术熟练的工人
- beyond help 无法挽救
- by help of 因为…的帮助
- by sb's help 靠某人帮助
- by the help of 借助于
- be of help to 对…有帮助
- in need of help 需要帮助
- past medical help 已无药可救
- through sb's help 由于某人的帮助
- with the help of 借助于,利用
- without help 没有帮助〔帮手〕
They..have a tough job..and they need all the help they can get.出自： K. Vonnegut
It's an advanced communications system which summons help in an emergency.出自：Dumfries Galloway Standard
They must all think me crazy and beyond help.出自： D. Wigoder
He felt as though he were in a strange country without any maps to help him.出自： G. Greene
Help! I've a bee in my hair!出自： Day Lewis
- help既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、代词或动词不定式作宾语,也可接以动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。接动词不定式作宾语或宾语补足语时, to常可省略,但用于被动结构时, to则不能省。help用作不及物动词时常表示“有用”“有帮助”。
- help常常与否定词can't连用,表达的意思不同。can't help it的意思是“没有办法”“控制不了”; can't be helped的意思是“没有办法的事,只好这样”; can't help v -ing的意思是“禁不住做某事”“身不由己”; can't help but to/- v 的意思是“不得不做某事”; can't help oneself的意思是“不能控制自己”“不能自拔”。
- not more than one can help的意思是“能少尽量少”; help oneself的意思是“自取,自用”。
- Can〔May〕 I help you?用作商业或服务用语,意为“您要点什么?”
- help作“帮助,援助”解是不可数名词,作其他意思解均为可数名词。表示“助手,帮忙的人或物”时多用于单数形式,其后常接由介词to引导的短语作后置定语; 作“佣人”解表示总称时用于单数形式,但谓语动词要用复数形式。表示一个佣人时,谓语动词要用单数形式,多用于美式英语。
This book will help (to) improve your English.
You will be helped to improve your English.
I cannot help thinking so.
cannot help同cannot but都表示“不能避免，不得不”，前者后接动名词，后者接没有to的不定式。
I cannot help thinking so.
在美国有cannot help but接不含to的不定式格式。
I cannot help but think so.
在美国，help还可表示为“佣工”，既可指单个，也可指多个。with/without the help of others和with/without help from others属于固定的搭配，注意介词和the的存在；
His help is a young man.
All his help are young men.
- help sb in/with sth表示“帮助某人做某事”。
- help sb to-v, help sb to/-v
- help后充当宾语补足语的动词不定式可带to,也可不带to,一般情况下区别不大。如果主语和宾语一起参与动词不定式所表示的活动,常可省去to; 如果不是,则常保留。试比较以下两个句子的含义:
- Please help me find a seat. (是两人一起去找)
- Please help me to find a seat. (是你而不是我去找)
- I can't help respecting them.(BrE)
- I can't help but respect them.(ArE)
- help, aid, assist
- 1.aid多指经济上或其他方面急需的援助,而assist只是表示辅助性的帮助, help用法则比较广泛,它可以代替aid和assist,可以指任何形式的帮助。
- 2.help和aid既可用作名词,也可用作动词; assist只能用作动词。
- 3.help强调积极地予以实际的、精神的或物质的帮助; assist主要用于帮助别人工作、学习或研究; aid是对别人的努力加以援助,还可指不必亲自动手的帮助。
- 4.就对象而言, aid不仅用于个人,还多用于团体; assist多用于个人,特别是智力方面的研究。
- 5.help是普通用语,特别是在日常谈话中; aid和assist是比较正式的用语,在日常谈话中不常用。
- help, relief
- 这两个词都有“帮助”的意思:同relief相比, help提供的帮助有更加急迫需要的意思,并带有出于好心慷慨施予的含义。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的helpan；最初源自原始日耳曼语的khelpanan，意为帮助，支持。