not act or do anything;
"He just stood by when the police beat up the demonstrators"
be available or ready for a certain function or service
be loyal to;
"She stood by her husband in times of trouble"
"The friends stuck together through the war"
- How can you stand by and let him treat his dog like that?
- In Berlin a small number of army officers stood by.
- He is the sort of person who will always stand by a friend.
- I'll stand by you whatever happens.
- S&P analysts say they stand by their moves to downgrade France.