- 迟的,晚的,迟到的 arriving, happening, etc., after the usual, arranged necessary
- 晚期的,后期的 happening or being towards the end of the day, life, a period, etc.
- [A]不久之前的,最近的 happening a short time ago
- [A]已故的;前任的;刚到的,新的 who died recently;the late changes in the recent;just arrive, new;fresh
- 迟,晚 after the usual, arranged, necessary, or expected time
- 接近末期 far on in a period of time
being or occurring at an advanced period of time or after a usual or expected time;
"late 18th century"
"a late movie"
"took a late flight"
"had a late breakfast"
after the expected or usual time; delayed;
"a belated birthday card"
"I'm late for the plane"
"the train is late"
"tardy children are sent to the principal"
"always tardy in making dental appointments"
of the immediate past or just previous to the present time;
"a late development"
"their late quarrel"
"his recent trip to Africa"
"in recent months"
"a recent issue of the journal"
having died recently;
"her late husband"
of a later stage in the development of a language or literature; used especially of dead languages;
at or toward an end or late period or stage of development;
"the late phase of feudalism"
"a later symptom of the disease"
"later medical science could have saved the child"
(used especially of persons) of the immediate past;
"the former president"
"our late President is still very active"
"the previous occupant of the White House"
later than usual or than expected;
"the train arrived late"
"we awoke late"
"the children came late to school"
"notice came so tardily that we almost missed the deadline"
"I belatedly wished her a happy birthday"
to an advanced time;
"deep into the night"
"talked late into the evening"
at an advanced age or stage;
"she married late"
"undertook the project late in her career"
in the recent past;
"he was in Paris recently"
"lately the rules have been enforced"
"as late as yesterday she was fine"
"feeling better of late"
"the spelling was first affected, but latterly the meaning also"
- I'm afraid I may be a little late.
- The train was 10 minutes late.
- This country was founded in the late eighteenth century.
- Tell me about his late illness.
- There were several clashes before this latest incident.
- He found the charity in memory of his late wife.
- We went to bed late.
- I overslept because I stayed up too late last night.
- We had a late dinner last night.
- We had a late supper because we came home late.
- She returned in the late afternoon.
- The late edition of this paper appears at 3 p.m.;there is a later one at 5 p.m.
- It's late summer, soon the days will be cooler.
- The later arrivals had to stand in the back.
- We favour late marriage.
- He is in his late sixties.
- We will discuss this in more detail in a later chapter.
- These fruits are ripe in late autumn.
- He will come here in late May.
- He lived alone in the big house with only the memory of his late wife for company.
- The rule was set by the late king.
- The visitor is the late President, now a scholar.
- Some late news of the war has just come in.
- The late storm did much harm.
- This is the late changes in the government.
- Can you give me a reasonable excuse for your being so late?
- I was ten minutes late.
- Spring is late this year.
- He was late for appointment.
- He was too late for the train.
- We hurried so we would not be late for class.
- She dislikes people who are late for work.
- He was late at the office.
- The bus was late in coming.
- Owing to a meeting,I was late in arriving.
- The movie was late in starting because of projection difficulties.
- We were late with lunch today.
- The bus is late arriving.
- I was late getting up yesterday morning.
- It's too late to go now.
- It's never too late to mend.
- It's never too late to learn.
- She married late in life.
- He always comes to work early and leaves off late.
- He got here five minutes late.
- I went to bed late on Saturday night.
- I saw him as late as yesterday.
- They were here as late as 10 July.
- They sat up late for his return.
- He came home late at nigh.
- He reached success late in life.
- Dr. Smith, late of the Maudsley Hospital, has now taken up private practice.
- be late for one's own funeral
老是迟到 be late usually
- late in the day
最后 at last
- of late
- hour late 晚了一小时
- late afternoon 近傍晚(时)
- late day 今晚
- late hour 深夜
- late husband 已故的丈夫
- late month 月末
- late season 季末
- late summer 夏末
- the latest news 最新消息
- the late president 已故总统
- late twenties 快30岁
- late wife 已故的妻子
- late year 年末
- five minutes late 迟到5分钟
- better late than never 晚做总比不做好
Trust me...It is not too late to escape.出自： E. Waugh
Light woke me early, but the trams were late.出自： J. Stallworthy
I was quite ten minutes late for my appointment.出自： A. MacLean
The snow lay late that year.出自： J. Buchan
I got back from Germany late in September.出自： C. P. Snow
A middle-aged man who had been ordained late in life.出自： B. Pym
The show started ten minutes late.出自： L. Cody
Better late than never.出自：Proverb
- 表示“做某事迟了”, late后接(in+) v -ing 。如果动名词后面有宾语, in+ v -ing 形式则可用with代替。在口语中, late可直接跟动名词,省略in。
- late用作表语时后接for表示“迟于规定时间做某事”“赶不上做某事”;后接at表示“迟于规定时到达某地”;后接“ in + v -ing ”表示“做某事迟了”;后接of表示“从前”,指从前居住的地方或某人参加的某种组织、协会等。
- as late as后跟年月日时,不再加介词。
- late, latter
- She returned in the late afternoon.她下午很晚才返回来。
- He mentioned it in the latter part of his speech.他在演讲的后面提到了它。
- The train was ten minutes late.那趟火车晚了10分钟。
- Of the pig and the cow, the latter is more valuable.猪和牛相比,后者更有价值。
- last, latest
- 在正式用法中, last表示“顺序上的最后”;而latest则表示“时间上的最近”。例如:
- This is his latest book,I hope it's not his last.这是他最近的著作,我希望这不是他的最后著作。
- late, lately, of late, recently
- late的意思是“迟”“晚”,反义词是early;lately的意思是“不久前”“最近”,即not long ago;of late的意思是“最近以来”,强调时间持续的过程;recently的意思是“最近”“近来”,比lately和of late更加庄重。例如:
- We went to bed late.我们很晚才上床睡觉。
- Have you been there lately?你近来到那里去过吗?
- He has been behaving strangely of late.他近来的行为一直很古怪。
- I have seen him quite recently.我最近见过他。
Have you read Steinway's latest novel?
误 He withdrew from politics in his late years.
正 He withdrew from politics in his later years.
误 It happened in late 1960s.
正 It happened in the late 1960s.
误 Tell him not to be late at the meeting.
正 Tell him not to be late for the meeting.他晚到公共汽车站。
误 He was late for the bus stop.
正 He was late at the bus stop.
析 “(做某事)迟到”须用be late for,“(到某地)迟到”须用be late at。
误 Tom came to school lately and missed the first lesson.
正 Tom came to school late and missed the first lesson.
析 late的形容词形式和副词形式相同, lately并不是late的副词形式, lately的意思是“最近,近来”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的lat；最初源自原始日耳曼语的latas，意为慢的，迟缓的。