- [C] 座位 a place for sitting
- [C] 所在地,场所 a place where a particular activity happens
- [C] 席位,职位 a place as a member of an official or controlling body
- vt. 使就座 cause or help to sit
- vt. 使就职 cause to assume or take office
- vt. 修理…的座〔底部〕 repair the seat or bottom of
- vt. 可容纳若干座位 (of a room, table, etc.) have room for seats for
a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane);
"he booked their seats in advance"
"he sat in someone else's place"
the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on;
"he deserves a good kick in the butt"
"are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
furniture that is designed for sitting on;
"there were not enough seats for all the guests"
any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit);
"he dusted off the seat before sitting down"
a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
the location (metaphorically speaking) where something is based;
"the brain is said to be the seat of reason"
the legal right to sit as a member in a legislative or similar body;
"he was elected to a seat in the Senate"
a part of a machine that supports or guides another part
the cloth covering for the buttocks;
"the seat of his pants was worn through"
show to a seat; assign a seat for;
"The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith"
be able to seat;
"The theater seats 2,000"
place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position;
"there was a ceremony to induct the president of the Academy"
put a seat on a chair
provide with seats;
"seat a concert hall"
place or attach firmly in or on a base;
"seat the camera on the tripod"
place in or on a seat;
"the mother seated the toddler on the high chair"
- He sat down on the nearest available seat.
- She got on the bus and picked a seat up front.
- His body was flung across the cell and fetched up against the base of the lavatory seat.
- He lost his seat in the Parliament at the election.
- I have worn the seat of this skirt thin .
- Washington is the seat of government of the US.
- We want to buy a car that can seat five persons.
- We can only seat you in twenty minutes.
- We can seat 300 in the auditorium.
- She purposely sat in the outside seat.
- He buckled himself into his seat.
- The furniture hadn't arrived so we were using crates as seats.
- These desks and seats can be adjusted to the height of any child.
- The seats were placed so that we could admire the view.
- These seats are reserved for old people.
- Shall we change seats?
- Mary exchanged seats with Anne.
- There are many vacant seats in the theater.
- There are two empty seats in the room.
- She rose from her seat to protest.
- I sit in the front seat of all.
- There's no danger—keep your seats,please.
- In the bus, this man gave his seat to the old woman.
- We reserved seats on the train.
- Have you reserved our theatre seats?
- The naughty child received several slaps on his seat.
- My seat's rather sore from horse riding!
- He had grass stains on the seat of his trousers.
- Don't put your feet on the seat of the chair.
- There was a cushion on the seat of the chair.
- Hollywood is the seat of the film industry.
- Oxford and Cambridge are England's most famous seats of learning.
- London is the British seat of government.
- Mr. Smith has a seat in the House of Commons.
- She won a seat in the Parliament at the election .
- She's got a good seat.
- Please seat yourself, sir.
- He seated himself at the desk.
- He seated us and called to his daughter to bring tea.
- I seated him in the chair.
- The mother seated her child on a bench.
- We seated our guest to the right of the chairman.
- We can't seat all these people.
- She is seating an old pair of trousers.
- Our table seats eight.
- Our auditorium can seat 1500 people.
- Please be seated, gentlemen.
- He then asked me to be seated.
- Margaret was seated near the fire.
- They were seated at their desks.
- Make sure the washer is firmly seated before tightening the pipe.
- The queen of that country was seated last year.
- He was seated last October.
- The chair should be seated.
- by the seat of one's pants
〈非正〉凭直觉,凭本能 do sth by instinct rather than careful thought
- take a back seat
处于次要地位 behave as if one were unimportant; take a less prominent part in sthI prefer to take a back seat in this matter.在这件事情上我宁可唱配角。
- take a seat
请坐 please sit down
- take one's seat
坐下,就座 be seated; seated on one's place
- seat at (v.+prep.)
坐在…的旁边 sit beside sth
seat oneself at sth
She seated herself at the writing-table, and began to write documents.
No sooner had he finished supper than he seated himself at his desk.
She was seated at the piano, with her back to them.
- seat on (v.+prep.)
把…安在…上 install sth on sth
seat sb/oneself on sth
You could seat the baby on your knees.
She seated herself on the sofa.
她在沙发上坐下。seat sth on sth
Seat the telescope on the tripod.
- arrange the seat 排座次
- assign seat 分配座位
- book a seat 预订座位
- change a seat 换座位
- exchange seat 对换座位
- find a seat 找座位
- get a seat 得到座位
- give a seat to 给…让座
- give up sb's seat 放弃座位
- have a seat 有座位
- keep sb's seat 保留座位
- lost seat 未当选
- occupy a seat 占座
- offer a seat to 给…让座位
- take sb's seat 就座
- win seat 当选
- hold a seat 占有一个席位
- lose sb's seat 失去席位,未能当选为议员
- obtain a seat 取得一席位
- resign sb's seat 辞去(国会)议席
- win a seat 取得一个席位,当选国会议员
- back seat 后座
- comfortable seat 舒适的座位
- empty seat 空座位
- front seat 前部座位
- front-row seat 前排座位
- hot seat (处死刑的)电椅
- legitimate seat 合法席位
- reserved seat 预订的座位
- unoccupied seat 空座位
- vacant seat 空座位
- box seat 包厢座位
- bucket seat 可翻起的凹背单人座位
- cane seat 藤椅
- car seat 汽车座位
- jump seat 折叠式座位
- love seat 双人坐椅〔沙发〕
- spindle seat 轴座
- stone seat 石凳
- suicide seat 司机旁边的座位
- Cabinet seat 内阁席位
- county seat 县城所在地
- school seat 学校所在地
- seat cushion 坐垫
- seat for ladies 女宾座位
- seat for the press 记者席位
- seat in a theatre 剧院中的座位
- seat in the parliament 议会中的席位
- seat in the train 火车上的座位
- seat of a bus 公共汽车的座位
- seat of a car 汽车上的座位
- seat on a carriage 马车上的座位
- seat of commerce 商业中心
- seat of learning 求学之地,学府
- seat of pain 痛的部位
- seat of war 战场
- seat abruptly 突然就职
- seat calmly 冷静地坐下
- seat carefully 小心地就座
- seat drowsily 懒洋洋地坐下
- seat exactly 精确地修理…的底座
- seat idly 懒散地坐下
- seat modestly 端庄地就座
- seat musingly 沉思地坐下
- seat peacefully 安静地坐下
- seat regally 庄严地就座
- seat rustically 粗俗地就座
- seat wearily 萎靡地坐下
A rider is good because of a secure and balanced seat.出自： E. Baird
Ben seated himself on the easy chair.出自： A. Brink
- 在骑马术语中, seat可作“骑姿”解。
- seat只用作及物动词,作“使就座”“使就职”解时,一般接人或反身代词作宾语,常用于be ～ed结构。
- seat, bench, chair, sofa
- 这四个词所指并不相同:bench指长凳,可有背,也可无背; chair指有背的单人椅; seat指固定在汽车、火车、飞机、轮船,剧院、礼堂里的座位; sofa则指沙发。
- seat, sit
- 这两个词都有“坐”的意思。它们的区别是：seat作“使就座”解,是及物动词,一般和反身代词连用,或用于被动结构,强调坐在座位上, be seated是正式用语; sit 作“坐”解,与stand(站)相对,一般作不及物动词。例如:
- Sit down, please.(请坐)。
- 此外, seat还有“可容纳若干人”的意思,而sit无此义。例如:
- Don't just sit there watching—come and help me!别坐在那儿观看,过来帮帮我的忙吧!
- The hall will seat 200.这大厅将能容纳二百人。
误 He seated at his desk and began to work.
正 He seated himself at his desk and began to work.
正 He was seated at his desk and began to work.
析 seat是及物动词,一般须接反身代词作宾语,或用be seated结构,表示“坐下,坐着”。