- 把...挂起，挂在墙上， 挂在…之上
- vt. & vi. 悬,挂,垂下 support from above so that the lower end is free bent down or forward; drop
- vt. 贴,固定,安装 fix (wallpaper) on a wall; fix (a door) in position on hinges
- vt. & vi. (被)绞死,吊死 die, especially in punishment for a crime, by dropping with a rope around the neck
a special way of doing something;
"he had a bent for it"
"he had a special knack for getting into trouble"
"he couldn't get the hang of it"
the way a garment hangs;
"he adjusted the hang of his coat"
a gymnastic exercise performed on the rings or horizontal bar or parallel bars when the gymnast's weight is supported by the arms
be suspended or hanging;
"The flag hung on the wall"
cause to be hanging or suspended;
"Hang that picture on the wall"
kill by hanging;
"The murderer was hanged on Friday"
let drop or droop;
"Hang one's head in shame"
fall or flow in a certain way;
"This dress hangs well"
"Her long black hair flowed down her back"
be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive;
"This worry hangs on my mind"
"The cloud of suspicion hangs over her"
give heed (to);
"The children in the audience attended the recital quietly"
"She hung on his every word"
"They attended to everything he said"
be suspended or poised;
"Heavy fog hung over the valley"
hold on tightly or tenaciously;
"hang on to your father's hands"
"The child clung to his mother's apron"
"Picasso hangs in this new wing of the museum"
prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury
decorate or furnish with something suspended;
be placed in position as by a hinge;
"This cabinet door doesn't hang right!"
place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction;
"hang a door"
suspend (meat) in order to get a gamey taste;
"hang the venison for a few days"
- You may hang your coat on the hook.
- I'll hang the pictures as high as I can.
- All the shirts hang together in the same wardrobe.
- Her hair hung long in the back.
- Cigarette smoke hung in the air.
- The notion hung in his mind for days.
- He was hanged for murder.
- The hang of the curtain shows that somebody is standing behind it.
- She was condemned to hang for killing her husband.
- My coat is hanging in the hall.
- Your photograph is hanging in the drawing room.
- A full moon hung in the sky.
- The folds of her evening gown hang gracefully.
- Dark clouds hung overhead, and a heavy snow fell.
- The door hangs badly.
- The decision is still hanging.
- He hung between staying and going.
- He was hanged for his crimes.
- The clouds are hanging low today.
- Her hair hung long in the back.
- Will you hang the curtains?
- The flavour improves if you hang it for a few days.
- She hung her head in shame.
- He tried to hang himself.
- Never hang a man twice for one offence.
- Hang it all! we can't wait all day for him.
- Hang you!Why don't you watch where you're going?
- Slogans were hung in the hall.
- The trees were thickly hung with fruit.
- The murderer was caught and hanged.
- Mossolini was hanged by the Italian people.
- I'll be hung if I know.
- I'm hung if he didn't ask me to lend him another fifty pounds.
- hang about〔around, round〕1 (v.+adv.)
迫近,即将来临 be imminent; impend
- hang about〔around, round〕2 (v.+prep.)
围着,缠住 swing from or round sb/sth
hang about〔around, round〕 sb/sth
The children hung about their mother, hoping to hear a fairy tale.
Several teenage fans hung around the stage door to get a glimpse of the actor.
The children hung about Grandpa Wang, hoping to hear a story.
Several children were hanging round the toy shop window.
She had a strange object hanging round her waist.
- hang back (v.+adv.)
退缩,犹豫 hesitate; show unwilling to act or advance
hang sth ⇔ back
He took his neighbour's clothes by mistake, so he hung them back outside.
Jane is afraid of people, she always hangs back when we take her to a party.
The big boys jumped into the river, but little Ned hung back.
We tried to get her to go swimming with us, but she hung back.
He hung back before replying.
The bridge looked unsafe and so we all hung back in fear.
Tom offered the little girl candy, but she was shy and hung back.
Often I hung back after classes to ask more questions.
课后我常常留下来再问一些问题。hang back from sth
The child always hung back from any activities.
那个孩子总是什么活动都不愿参加。hang back from v-ing
When the police came around asking questions, he hung back from giving information.
They hung back from committing themselves to the scheme until they knew more about it.
- hang behind1 (v.+adv.)
落在后面 remain somewhere when others have left; be slow to join
Walk faster, or you'll hang behind.
A few students hung behind after class to speak to the teacher.
Tom is so annoying whenever we go on a trip, always hanging behind.
- hang behind2 (v.+prep.)
挂在…后面 fix sth behind
hang behind sth
His coat is hanging behind the door.
- hang by (v.+prep.)
由…吊着 (cause to) swing from (sth such a rope); be held by
hang by sth
A door hangs by its hinges.
When we drew the bucket up from the well, we saw that the rope had worn away , and the bucket was left hanging by a very thin thread.
The climber hung by his fingers for over an hour until his companions could bring a rope.
那位登山者靠手指扒着悬了一个多小时,直到他的伙伴找来了一根绳子。hang sb by sth
The bandits hung him by a rope from the branch of a tree.
- hang down (v.+adv.)
挂下来 be held or suspended from above
Her hair was hanging down.
The branches hung down to the ground with the weight of the apples.
果实累累的苹果树枝低垂到地面。hang sth ⇔ down
He hung down his head and did not answer.
他低下头,没有回答。hang down on〔upon〕 sth
His red hair hung down upon his white face.
Her hair hung down on her shoulders.
Two black plaits hung down on her back.
- hang from (v.+prep.)
吊在… put sb to death by dropping him from above with a rope round his neck
hang from sth
Big lights hung from the ceiling.
The family wash hung from the windows.
Long streamers hung from the tops of tall buildings.
The key was kept hanging from a string round his neck.
那把钥匙用线拴着挂在他的脖子上。hang from sth
Nine massacred comrades were hanging from a big tree on the slope of the western mountain.
西山坡的大树上,吊着9个被害同志的尸首。hang sb/oneself from sth
The last Ming dynasty emperor hanged himself from this tree.
- hang in (v.+adv.)
不泄气,坚持下去 refuse to be discouraged or intimidated; show pluck; persist
Hang in, boys!
We must hang in whenever we come across difficulties.
- hang on1 (v.+adv.)
别放下听筒 ask sb who is calling to wait until they can talk to the person they want
Help! I can't hang on any longer.
Don't let go.Hang on tight.
Although the branch was breaking, he hung on.
尽管树枝快断了,他还是抓住不放。hang on to sth
There are some people who hang on to their jobs long after they should have retired.
Whatever I've got,I'm going to hang on to it.
He did not expect them to hang on much longer.
It's hard work, but if you hang on, you are sure to succeed in the end.
Though we are not promoted, we still hang on.
You should be relieving me of the duty at 10:30, but don't hurry if it's inconvenient; I'll hang on till you arrive.
你应该在十点三十分接我的班,但如果不方便的话,你不用急急忙忙赶来,你没到之前,我会继续干下去。hang on to sth
John did not like his job, but he decided to hang on to it until he found a better one.
Will you hang on a minute?I'm not quite ready.
Hang on, please. He is coming in a minute.
I'm sorry the line is busy, would you like to hang on?
I asked him to hang on while I ran for a pencil and a sheet of paper.
- hang on2〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
取决于 depend on
hang sth on〔upon〕 sth
Hang your coat on the hook.
She was hanging her washing (out) on the line.
The teacher hung a map of Europe on the wall when she taught geography in Europe.
Cornucopias are hung on Christmas trees.
圣诞树上挂着糖果纸袋。hang on〔upon〕 sth
They hung on every word he said.
We are all hanging on your answer.
我们都在渴望得到你的答复。hang on sth
Please don't hang on my arm so heavily.
She hung on his neck and wept.
她搂着他的脖子哭。hang on〔upon〕 sth
Whether we can succeed or not hangs upon this single action.
His future hangs on the outcome of their discussion.
His election hangs on one vote.
The case hangs upon the judge's opinion of the prisoner's character.
Everything hangs on your decision.
一切都取决于你的决定。hang on〔upon〕 wh-clause
Everything hangs on where they went next.
The result will hang on whether the secret is discovered.
- hang onto (v.+prep.)
紧紧抓住,不放弃 hold tightly; keep or retain sth
hang onto sth
It was so windy that I had to hang onto my hat all the way along the street.
He hung onto the branch though it was broken.
We should hang onto the house and sell it later when prices are higher.
- hang out (v.+adv.)
不屈服,坚持下去 be unyielding; persevere
Can you tell me where Jim hangs out?
This is your friend John, is it?And where does he hang out?
Your shirt tail is hanging out.
The dog's tongue was hanging out.
狗的舌头伸在外面。hang out of sth
Don't hang out of the window, it's dangerous.
别把身子探出窗外去,那很危险。hang sth ⇔ out
Hang out the flag, the victory is ours.
She hung out the wet clothes on the line to dry.
她把湿衣服晾在外面的绳子上。hang out of sth
A white banner was hanging out of the window.
Can you make the food hang out until next payday?
The besieged garrison managed to hang out for ten days, after which their supplies became exhausted.
Our food supply will hang out for only two or three days more.
It is doubtful whether our resources will hang out for two or three days more.
- hang over1 (v.+adv.)
搁置起来,存留下来 effect resulting from an earlier event or state; remain
The custom hangs over from the old days.
They let the final decision hang over until next week.
- hang over2 (v.+prep.)
威胁,即将降临或发生 be going to happen; threaten sb/sth
hang over sb/sth
This picture hangs over the mantle.
The trees grow so tall that they hang over the river from either side.
White clouds hung over the mountain peaks.
The incident happened in the morning still hung like a cloud over them.
早上发生的事,还像一片乌云似的罩在他们心头。hang sth over sth
His wife hung a beautiful curtain over the window.
A beautiful doll is hung over the window.
窗上挂着一个漂亮的洋娃娃。hang over sb/sth
A great danger will hang over him.
I hate to have unfinished work hanging over me.
The uncertainty of war hung over Europe for twenty years.
- hang together (v.+adv.)
互相支持,团结一致 support one another; unite
- hang up (v.+adv.)
将电话听筒挂上 put a telephone receiver down
Decorations are hanging up everywhere in the city on the Spring Festival.
Tools hanging up in the shed are never used.
挂在木屋中的工具从未用过。hang sth ⇔ up
You can hang up your raincoat there.
They hung up their coats.
Hang your hat up.
They hung up a portrait of Lu Hsun on the wall.
In winter, when clothes are washed, they are often hung up near a fire. And they get drier and drier.
冬天衣服洗了,常挂在火旁边,衣服变得越来越干。hang sth ⇔ up
The bad weather has hung up the work of excavation.
The accident hung up the traffic for several hours.
The plan has been hung up.
The work must not be hung up for any reason.
After she finished her conversation, she hung up.
Please hang up properly after calling.
Before I could answer him, he hung up.
我还没有来得及回答,他就把电话挂断了。hang sth ⇔ up
While I was talking with a friend on the phone he suddenly hung it up.
Time is up.I have to hang up the receiver now.
时间到了,我必须挂断电话了。hang up on sb
I was so angry that I hang up on him.
I didn't have a chance to apologize, she hung up on me.
- hang with (v.+prep.)
以…装饰 decorate sth with sth
hang sth with sth
We hang the walls with wallpaper once a year.
The walls of the restaurant were hung with paintings done by the owner's daughter.
The room is hung with flags.
The rooms were hung with tapestries.
- hang a lamp from the ceiling 将一吊灯吊在天花板上
- hang a picture on the wall 把一张画挂在墙上
- hang a scythe 装镰刀把
- hang an oil painting 挂油画
- hang curtains 挂窗帘
- hang curtains over the window 把窗帘挂在窗上
- hang door on its hinges 把门安装到铰链上
- hang it 该死
- hang one's coat on the hook 把外衣挂在衣钩上
- hang one's head and admit one's quilt 低头认罪
- hang oneself 自缢,吊死
- hang the hall with red flags 用红旗装饰大厅
- hang the jury 因陪审团意见不一而无法作出判决
- hang the lip 撇嘴以示轻蔑
- hang the washing out 把洗过的衣物晾晒在外面
- hang wallpaper 贴壁纸
- hang badly 装得转动不灵活
- hang breathlessly 吊得透不过气来
- hang conspicuously 醒目地装饰
- hang disconsolately 忧郁地犹豫不决
- hang doggedly 固执地拖延
- hang dolefully 悲惨地绞死
- hang fatefully 致命地绞死
- hang fondly 愚蠢地拖延
- hang gracefully 优美地飘垂着
- hang lankly 细长地垂下
- hang listlessly 无精打采地拖延
- hang loosely 宽松地披着
- hang precariously 根据不足地搁置
- hang stubbornly 顽固地拖延
- hang unevenly 不平直下垂
- hang well 很合身
- hang about〔around, round〕 无所事事地等待,进展缓慢
- hang back 犹豫,畏缩不前
- hang behind 留下来,落在后面
- hang down 披下来
- hang the head down (羞得)低下头
- hang off 挂断电话
- hang on 紧握着,(打电话时)不挂断,坚持下去,密切注意
- hang out 把身子探出窗外,挂出窗外或门外,闲逛
- hang it out 怠工
- hang out the red flag 宣战
- hang out the white flag 投降
- hang out two shirts 把两件衬衣拿出去晾
- hang over 伸过去,(从某一时间)延续下来,遗留下来
- hang up 挂断电话,推迟,暂停
- hang up a mark 创新纪录
- hang up one's hat in sb's house 在别人家久留不走
- hang up the numbers 宣布比赛结果
- hang about〔around, round〕 (使)环绕(身体某部位)摆动,晃动,在(某处)附近等待,呆在(某处)附近
- hang about the streets 在街上闲荡
- hang between staying and going 去留不决
- hang by the eyelid 系得不牢,易于落下
- hang by the wall 束之高阁
- hang from the ceiling 吊在天花板上
- hang in doubt 疑惑不决
- hang in suspense 悬而不决
- hang in the balance wind 安危未定,成败未决
- hang on 把…晾在…上,靠在…上,依…而定,依…而变化,密切注意…,急切等待
- hang heavy on 使劳累
- hang one on 向…猛击一拳,大醉
- hang on sb's lips 听得入神
- hang on sb's sleeve 依赖某人
- hang on sb's words 仔细听某人的话
- hang a picture on the wall 在墙上挂一幅图画
- hang over (使)悬〔伏〕在…上,威胁,笼罩
- hang to 缠住,紧贴着
The minute adjustments to..the hang of a skirt.出自： A. Brookner
In the next garden but one, a woman was hanging washing on the line.出自： P. Mortimer
Where did we finally decide to hang those two Broidal portraits..?出自： G. Charles
- hang的基本意思是“悬”“挂”,一般指把某物悬挂在高处或线上,由此下垂并能够摆动,引申可表示某物依赖于他物的状态; 某物缠在或贴在他物之上的状态以及一切能使人由悬挂的情景联想到的事物或状态。hang还可作“吊死,绞死”解。
- hang可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,主动形式含有被动意义。
- 在正式英语中, hang作“绞死”解时,其过去式和过去分词为hanged, hanged; 作其他意义解时,其过去式和过去分词为hung, hung。非正式用法无此区别,所有意义皆用hung, hung。
- hang, depend, hinge, turn
- depend侧重思想上的悬念,无法进行预测,常指对某物的未来情景捉摸不定; hinge侧重思想上的悬念; hang不太侧重事件的捉摸不定或没把握的成功等; turn侧重旋转和对变化的、偶然的东西的依赖。例如:
- Whether he goes back to jail depends on whether he violates parole.他是否重回监狱得看他假释期是否犯罪而定。
- Everything hinges on where we go next.一切要看我们下一步去哪里而定。
- The future of the company hangs on the outcome of his meeting.公司的前途取决于这次会议的结果。
- The success of the negotiations turns on getting the agreement of the Italian delegation.谈判的成功依赖于取得意大利代表团的同意。
- hang, dangle, sling, suspend
- 这组词都有“悬挂”的意思。它们的区别是:hang指一端固定在一点或一条线上,另一端悬在空中的状态,也指依附在一点上; dangle指晃来晃去地吊着某物; sling指用吊索轻松地吊起笨重的物体或指吊在肩上; suspend指悬浮在空中可以灵活运动。例如:
- Hang the picture on the wall.把画挂在墙上。
- He sat on the edge of the table dangling his legs.他坐在桌子沿上,悬荡着双腿。
- He stood up and slung his gun over his shoulder.他站起来把枪往肩上一背。
- They could see the dust suspended in the beam of light.他们能看见悬浮在那道光中的灰尘。
- hang, kill, murder, shoot
- 1.kill是一般用语,指任何致死的行动,不能表示“杀而未死”; murder主要指用非法手段蓄意地、有预谋地杀害某人; shoot专指用枪打死或用非法手段暗杀某人,本词有“打(杀)而未必死”之义,故若强调“打(杀)死”时需要其他词的辅助,常见的结构有:
- shoot...and kill..., shoot...to death, shoot...dead等; hang特指“绞死或吊死”。例如:
- She killed him with a hammer.她用铁锤砸死了他。
- He was murdered by his brother.他被他哥哥谋杀了。
- He shot a lion with his rifle.他用步枪打中一头狮子。
- He was hanged for murder.他因杀人而被绞死。
- 2.kill的宾语可以用于人,也可用于动物、植物; shoot的宾语可以用于人,也可用于动物; murder, hang的宾语只用于人,不能用于动物、植物。例如:
- The frost killed the flowers.严霜使花枯死。
- He shot a bird and killed it.他打中了一只鸟,并且把它打死了。
- She murdered her husband.她谋杀了她的丈夫。
- He hanged himself in sorrow after his wife died. 他妻子死后,他在悲痛之下吊死了。
- He pointed to a picture hanging in the cor- ner.
- He pointed to a picture hung in the corner.
- ☆ 15世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古英语的hangian；最初源自古挪威语的hanga，意为吊，悬挂。