- v.翻一番；使 ... 加倍
- 双的，成双的，双人的， 成对的
- 供两者用的， 两人用的
- 往回跑，循原路折回， 曲折迂回，折回，掉头
- 复式下注， 二重彩
- 双的,双重的 consisting of two similar or combined parts
- 供两人用的,双人的 made for two people
- 两面派的,虚伪的 deceiving; seeming to be one thing while actually being another
- [U]两倍,双份 sth that is twice the size, quantity value, or strength of sth else
- vt. & vi. 把…对折,折叠 fold in half
- vt. & vi. 是…的两倍,(使)加倍 make or become twice as great or as many
- vt. & vi. 兼任,兼作 have a second use, job or purpose
- vi. 折回,掉头 turn back
- a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base;
"he hit a double to deep centerfield"
- a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts;
"his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
- someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor);
"he could be Gingrich's double"
"she's the very image of her mother"
- a quantity that is twice as great as another;
"36 is the double of 18"
- raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2;
"I decided his double was a bluff"
- having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities;
"a double (or dual) role for an actor"
"the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"
"every episode has its double and treble meaning"
- consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs;
"an egg with a double yolk"
"a double (binary) star"
"dual controls for pilot and copilot"
"duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
- twice as great or many;
"ate a double portion"
"the dose is doubled"
"a twofold increase"
- used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements;
"double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
- used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
- large enough for two;
"a double bed"
"a double room"
- having two meanings with intent to deceive;
"a sly double meaning"
"spoke with forked tongue"
- downward and forward;
"he was bent double with pain"
- two together;
"some people sleep better double"
- to double the degree;
"she was doubly rewarded"
"his eyes were double bright"
- increase twofold;
"The population doubled within 50 years"
- hit a two-base hit
- bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain;
"He doubled and vomited violently"
- do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions;
"She doubles as his wife and secretary"
- bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
- make or do or perform again;
"He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
- The date had a double significance.
- This machine serves a double purpose.
- The egg has a double yolk.
- He was so fat that he had a double chin.
- You can't park on a double yellow line.
- I'll give you double pay for working overtime.
- The output is double that of last year.
- Shard joy is a double joy and shard sorrow is half a sorrow.
- I think we can double our profits in one month.
- The modern equipment enables them to double their production.
- If you should be off guard,you would double the loss.
- If you double five， you make ten.
- The measures will enable us to double our output of bicycles.
- If you buy a new bicycle, it will cost more than double.
- I ordered the coffee in double before you come.
They bought a double bed.
We don't like the man who bears a double face.
The man will be given double pay if he wants to work on Sundays.
The total output is double that of last year.
It is more than double the 1976 figure.
20 is double 10.20
His share is double.
Ten is the double of five.
Two Scotches, please—and make those doubles.
He is my double.
Here is the double of your lost glove.
Movie actors sometimes employ their doubles.
He won the daily double.
They are a Championship of the mixed doubles.
She's going for the double this year, the Olympics and the World Championship.
As a result, daily output has doubled.
Tea and fruit crops doubled.
The efficiency of the furnace more than doubled.
They doubled along, carrying all their equipment .
He suddenly doubled and ran in the opposite direction.
The fox doubled on its tracts.
He doubles our wages on Sundays.
The baby doubled its weight in a yaer.
This will enable us to double the output of our TV-sets.
He was so sure his horse would win that he doubled his bet.
This has doubled the productivity of the mill.
She doubled the parts of mother and daughter.
He doubled the parts of king and slave in that play.
He is doubling the parts of a preacher and a teacher.
Let me double the shawl and put it round you.
She doubled the sheet of the paper and put it away.
In experimental plots the yield has been doubled.
- double as (v.+prep.)
兼扮(某个)角色 play the part of double as sb/sth
She doubled as the maid and the secretary in the play.她在这个剧里兼饰女佣和秘书。
This chair doubles as a bed.这张椅子兼作床。
- 兼扮(某个)角色 play the part of double as sb/sth
- double back (v.+adv.)
沿原路返回 return along the same path double back
She started running towards the street but suddenly doubled back to the house.她出发向大街跑去,但是突然折回头向屋子跑去。
将(某物)折起来 fold (sth), as in half double sth ⇔ back
He told me to double back the sheet of paper and tear it in half.他告诉我把纸对折然后撕成两半。
We doubled the top of the sheet back over the covers, for comfortable sleep.我们把单子边翻到毯子上面来,以便睡得舒服些。
- 沿原路返回 return along the same path double back
- double for (v.+prep.)
代替(某人) act as a replacement for (sb) double for sb
I'll double for you in the committee meeting.我将代替你去参加委员会的会议。
- 代替(某人) act as a replacement for (sb) double for sb
- double in brass (v.+prep.+n.)
〈美〉能兼奏另一种乐器(如铜管乐器或其他管乐器) be able to play another musical instrument
Can any of the players double in brass? 乐队中有人能兼奏铜管乐器吗?
〈美口〉能做专业外的其他事情 be able to do sth else as well as the work in which one specializes
The young man can double in brass by writing as well as printing the magazine. 这个年轻人既能刊印杂志又能写。
The boss didn't like him to double in brass. 老板不喜欢他同时干两份工作。
- 〈美〉能兼奏另一种乐器(如铜管乐器或其他管乐器) be able to play another musical instrument
- double over (v.+adv.)
将(某物)叠起来 fold (sth), as in half double sth ⇔ over
Double over the map so that we can read it more easily.把地图对折起来,这样看起来更容易。
Double over the edge before sewing.在缝纫时先把边折过来。
(使)弯腰 (cause to) bend double over (with sth)
Rose doubled over when Facer walked in wearing his funny clothes.当费塞穿着滑稽的服装走进来时,露丝笑得直不起腰来。
On her way back from the fields, she suddenly doubled over with labour pains.从地里回来时,她突然一阵阵痛,不由得蹲了下去。double sb ⇔ over
The blow doubled the fighter over.那一击把这个拳击手打得弯下了腰。
- 将(某物)叠起来 fold (sth), as in half double sth ⇔ over
- double up (v.+adv.)
把(某物)叠起来 fold (sth), as in half double up (with sth)
The carpet is too thick to double up.地毯太厚,折不起来。double sth ⇔ up
We shall have to double up the sheets to get them in the drawer.我们得把这些被单折叠起来才能放进抽屉里。
He doubled up his fists in anger.他愤怒地握紧拳头。
(使)弯腰 (cause to) bend double up (with sth)
They all doubled up when I told my joke.当我讲笑话时,他们都笑得直不起身子来。
He doubled up with the pain of the blow.这一下打得他痛得蹲了下去。double sb/sth ⇔ up
He doubled up his legs and kicked out.他腿弯起又伸开。
The sad news doubled him up.噩耗使他悲痛欲绝。
〈非正〉挤在一起 increase one's numbers double up (with sb)
We haven't any single rooms left.Do you mind doubling up?我们已没有单人房间了,您和别人挤挤行吗?
Do you mind doubling up with Gara tonight?你今晚和加拉挤在一起睡好吗?
- 把(某物)叠起来 fold (sth), as in half double up (with sth)
- double along 弯得低低的,全副武装
- double back 把…对折,循原路折回
- double the map back 将地图对折
- double in 向内折叠
- double over 折起,(使)弯下身子
- double sb over (使)某人弯下身
- double over the edge 把边折起来
- double up 折起,弯〔曲〕,与别人同住一室
Ten, which is the double of five.出自：B. Jowett
Like to a double cherry.., Two lovely berries moulded on one stem.出自：Midsummer Night's Dream,Shakespeare
Is Dimpple spelt with a single or double P?出自：Steele
Nickleby gave a double knock.出自：Dickens
The double burden of her own poor circumstances and illness.出自：L. Durrell
Thy fifty yet doth double five and twenty.出自：King Lear,Shakespeare
Ignorance doubled by conceit of knowledge.出自：B. Jowett
If I doubled the number of trips I would see her twice as often.出自：O. Henry
He doubled the tip.出自：G. Greene
- double作名词的基本意思是“两倍,双份”,引申可作“极相似的(人)”“替身演员”“赛马中的复式下注”解; 也可指网球等的“双打”,此时一般用复数形式; 还可指在同类比赛中“两次获奖”,此时一般用单数形式,且其前有定冠词。
- double的基本意思是“对折起来”。引申可指“折回”“掉头”,还可指“是…的两倍”“使加倍”等。另外, double还可表示在剧中“扮演两种角色”或“担任某角色的替身”。
- double可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,常与as, for等介词连用,还常与back, up等副词连用。
- double作“是…的两倍”“兼任”解时,如果所接的宾语是可数名词,要用复数形式; 作“折叠”解时,即使宾语是可数名词,但也要用单数形式,因为折叠起来后仍然是一个。
- double over, double up
- ☆ 13世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的dlboe；最初源自拉丁语的duplus，意为两倍。
- double:double n. 两倍, [计] 双精度型adj. 两倍的, 双重的vt. 使加倍vi. 加倍, 快步走, 加倍努力 英英解释:名词double:1. a base hit on which the…