- 瞧！ 看！
- 留神！ 当心！
- vi. & vt. 看,瞧 turn the eyes so as to see sth or see in the stated direction
- vi. 面向,朝向 face in the stated direction
- link-v. 看来,显得 seem by expression or appearance
- [S]看,瞥 an act of looking
- [S]脸色,神色,表情 an expression in the eyes or on the face
- [P]容貌 person's appearance
- the feelings expressed on a person's face;
"a sad expression"
"a look of triumph"
"an angry face"
- the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually;
"he went out to have a look"
"his look was fixed on her eyes"
"he gave it a good looking at"
"his camera does his looking for him"
- physical appearance;
"I don't like the looks of this place"
- the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people;
"the feel of the city excited him"
"a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
"it had the smell of treason"
- perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards;
"She looked over the expanse of land"
"Look at your child!"
"Look--a deer in the backyard!"
- give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect;
"She seems to be sleeping"
"This appears to be a very difficult problem"
"This project looks fishy"
"They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- have a certain outward or facial expression;
"How does she look?"
"The child looks unhappy"
"She looked pale after the surgery"
- search or seek;
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"
"Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
- be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to;
"The house looks north"
"My backyard look onto the pond"
"The building faces the park"
- take charge of or deal with;
"Could you see about lunch?"
"I must attend to this matter"
"She took care of this business"
- convey by one's expression;
"She looked her devotion to me"
- look forward to the probable occurrence of;
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"
"She is looking to a promotion"
"he is waiting to be drafted"
- accord in appearance with;
"You don't look your age!"
- have faith or confidence in;
"you can count on me to help you any time"
"Look to your friends for support"
"You can bet on that!"
"Depend on your family in times of crisis"
- He looked at the baby with a smile.
- They looked forward very much to seeing him again.
- He turned on the torch to look for his keys.
- He looks nervous.
- All people that go to church look happy.
- We may look at the world around us.
- Let's take a look round the exhibition.
- In such cases he would put on an aggrieved look.
- They've given the shop a completely new look.
- He had a startled look on his face.
He looked aimlessly before him.
Just look straight ahead and you will see a pagoda.
What is the use of my showing this to you if you don't look?
He looked aside when I spoke to him.
The house looks south.
The offices look onto a park.
One must look higher and further.
He often looks before and after when he deals with problems.
When you look deeper, you'll find some differences between them.
He looks an honest man.
He looks a good athlete
He's beginning to look his age.
She scarcely looks her years.
On that occasion, Clive looked a perfect fool.
Well,I must say, you are looking quite a different person.
He looks to be a young man of twenty.
She looks to be the best person for the job.
He looks anxious.
They look almost alike.
You're looking blue, what's the matter?
She looks much younger than she is.
She was looking her best,She looks her best in this suit.
These houses look very nice, don't they?
We seemed to be approaching Shanghai.The fields look wonderfully green here.
As prices dropped lower and lower, things looked black for Henry's company.
Whenever the future looks black, remind yourself of other difficulties that you have conquered in the past.
He looked blank when he was informed of his dismissal.
It looks very suspicious to me.
The girl looked puzzled.
Tom looked rather offended.
He looks a little surprised.
He looked startled when his nephew came in.
The students looked a little surprised but said nothing,
He looks in excellent health.
She looks as if she were about to faint.
It doesn't look to me as if we shall get there in time.
She looks as if she knew all about the matter.
They looked as if they didn't care.
It looks as if it were going to rain.
It looks as if we were going to have fine weather.
It looks as if there will be a strike.
It looks as if the coming autumn harvest will be even better than the last one.
It looks as if they'll have to go home by taxi.
It looks as if I'll finish the rest before the 15-day deadline too.
I didn't look to meet you here.
I look to be with you soon.
If you're looking to buy a new car,I suggest you borrow some money from the bank.
Please look what time the train starts.
Look what time the clock says.
Just look what you have done!
Look what I have found.
Look whether the postman has been yet.
Look if it is right.
Look, there comes the trolleybus.
Look! It is snowing, winter is here at last.
Well,I never !Look, who is here.
Look, life today is heaven.Before it was hell.
Look, there is a student here I ask you to meet.
Look here,Jack, we won't be back this afternoon.
Now look here! This sort of thing can't go on.
Now look here! You really can't do that.
May I have a look at it?
I took a close look at her photo.
The sailors took a last look at the port before sailing.
The old man was displeased and darted an angry look at me.
Jane darted an anxious look at the clock as she tried to finish her examination question.
She answered with an angry look.
I've had a good look, but I can't find it anywhere.
I took one look at the coat and decided I would have to buy it.
The country must have a long hard look at the tragedy of unemployment.
He gave her an astonished look.
She assumed a look of innocence.
He sat down at the table with a weary look on his face.
I knew she didn't like it by the look on her face.
He has the look of a winner.
She had a very disappointed look when she heard the news.
My mother wore a troubled look when she heard of my father's illness.
We threw a look of contempt at him because he told a deliberate lie.
Never judge a man by his looks.
His looks are really quite remarkable.
She's got her father's good looks.
She's starting to lose her looks.
The twins girls were almost identical in looks.
She used her good looks to compensate her lack of intelligence.
The cuts above his eye have spoilt his looks.
I knew something was wrong, everyone was giving me funny looks.
She kept her looks even in old age.
I don't like the look of this place.
This year's fashion introduces a new look in skirts.
- look about〔around〕1 (v.+adv.)
四下观望 look in several different directions
Concentrate your mind on study.Don't look around. 专心学习,别东张西望的。
I looked around and everything appeared crystal and clear. 我环顾四周,发现一切看上去都晶莹透彻。
(作出选择前)进行调查 make enquiries before choosing
We should look about carefully before deciding which house to buy. 在决定买哪栋房子之前,我们应当仔细察看一番。
He said he would look around to see who might be able to help us. 他说他要留心看看谁能帮我们的忙。
- 四下观望 look in several different directions
- look about〔around〕2 (v.+prep.)
在(某处)或(某人)周围观望;在(某处)寻找 see in various directions about (a place or one);search in (a place) look about〔around〕 sb/sth
The stranger looked about him with great interest.那陌生人怀着极大的兴趣看着他的四周。
You'd better look about you before you start your work here.在开始这儿的工作以前,你最好先了解一下周围的情况。
Looking about the whole room,I couldn't find any sign of being stolen.我查看了整个房间,没有发现任何被盗的迹象。
- 在(某处)或(某人)周围观望;在(某处)寻找 see in various directions about (a place or one);search in (a place) look about〔around〕 sb/sth
- look about for (v.+adv.+prep.)
寻找(某人或某物) try to find and get (sth/sb) by searching look about for sth
Are you still looking about for a job?你仍在找工作吗?
He failed to find his book though he had looked about for it.尽管他已四处寻找,可书仍没有找着。
As soon as Tony arrived in London, he looked about for a house to be lent.托尼一到伦敦就四处物色出租的房子。
- 寻找(某人或某物) try to find and get (sth/sb) by searching look about for sth
- look after (v.+prep.)
注视 watch (sb/sth)
Standing on the platform Lucy looked after her son getting into the train. 露希伫立在站台上,目送着儿子登上列车。
They looked after the train as it left the station. 他们目送火车出站。
照顾,照看(某人或某物) take care of;take the responsibility for (sb/sth)
He's well able to look after himself. 他很会照顾自己。
They don't look after themselves very well. 他们没有很好地照顾他们自己。
He needs a wife to look after him. 他需要一位妻子来照顾他。
She has looked after her elder parents for many years. 多年来她一直照顾她年迈的双亲。
She looks after the Drew's children during the day. 她白天给德鲁家看孩子。
I hope you will look after these animals properly. 我希望你会很好地照料这些牲畜。
She's been looking after the luggage. 她在照看行李。
We'll send an experienced expert over to look after the matter. 我们将派一个有经验的专家来关照此事。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
The patients were well looked after by the nurses. 护士们把病人照料得很好。
Now children are well looked after in kindergartens. 现在儿童在幼儿园里得到了很好的照料。
- 注视 watch (sb/sth)
- look at (v.+prep.)
看,注视(某人或某物) see;watch;direct one's eyes towards (sb/sth) look at sb/sth
She is looking at you.她在注视你。
Everybody looked at the hero with great admiration.大家都以钦佩的目光注视着那位英雄。
I looked at him full in the face.我盯着他的脸看了个够。
He looked at the stranger up and down.他上上下下仔细地打量着这个陌生人。
I was used to looking at the stars at summer night when I was young.我年轻的时候常常在夏夜瞧着繁星。
The pupils are all looking at the chart on the wall.学生都瞧着墙上的挂图。
The children spend too much time looking at television.孩子们花很多时间看电视。用于 be ～ed 结构
The picture was looked at by him.这幅画被他看过了。
My work hasn't been looked at for a week.我干了一个星期的工作也没人看一眼。
The flame in the furnace can be looked at through coloured glasses.可以通过有色眼镜观看高炉内的火焰。look at sb to/ -v
Look at the boy run.看,那个孩子跑了。
We looked at horses jump over the wall.我们看着一匹又一匹马越墙而过。look at sb v-ing
We are looking at the boys swimming.我们在看男孩子们游泳。
评判;审视 regard;judge;consider;take a point of view about (sth/sb);examine sth look at sb/sth
Have you asked the plumber to come and look at the leaking pipe?你叫管道工来检查漏水的管子了吗?
Will you please look at the battery of my car?请你检查一下我车上的电瓶好吗?
If your arm isn't better by tomorrow,I'd get the doctor to look at it.如果你的手臂明天还不见好,我就要请医生来给你检查了。
We must learn to look at problems from all angles.我们必须学会全面地看问题。
We must look at the matter in cold blood.我们必须冷静观察这个问题。
He looks at work in a different way now he's in charge.他现在是负责人了,因此,考虑工作的角度不同了。用于 be ～ed 结构
The difficulty can now be looked at in a different light.现在可以用不同的角度来看这个困难。
接受 consider (sth) (as) acceptable look at sb/sth
I wouldn't look at a job like that.我不愿接受这样的工作。
I wouldn't look at such a poor offer.我才不会接受这个无意义的提议呢。
No matter what I say they refuse to look at my suggestion.无论我说什么,他们都拒不接受我的建议。
- 看,注视(某人或某物) see;watch;direct one's eyes towards (sb/sth) look at sb/sth
- look away (v.+adv.)
不再看(某人或某物) turn one's eyes away from (sth/sb) look away
Don't look away while I am taking your photograph.我替你拍照时,不要看别的地方。
The singer was afraid that if she looked away , even for a moment, she would lose her place in the music.这位歌手担心,要是自己向一旁看,哪怕是一瞥也会唱走调。
- 不再看(某人或某物) turn one's eyes away from (sth/sb) look away
- look down at (v.+adv.+prep.)
看不起或不赞成(某人或某物) consider (sth/sb) unworthy look down one's nose at sb
John was an athlete who looked down his nose at the weak students.约翰是个运动员,因而看不起体弱的学生。
The natives look down their noses at foreigners.这些本国人看不起外国人。
- 看不起或不赞成(某人或某物) consider (sth/sb) unworthy look down one's nose at sb
- look down on (v.+adv.+prep.)
俯瞰(某处);看不起(某人) overlook;despise;consider oneself superior to;show false contempt for look down on sb/sth
She looks down on people like that.她看不起那种人。
The rich man looked down on his poorer neighbours.那个有钱人看不起比他穷的邻居们。用于 be ～ed 结构
Women were looked down on in the old days.在旧社会,妇女是被轻视的。
Women have grown tired of being looked down on by employers.雇主轻视妇女,已使妇女难以忍受。
- 俯瞰(某处);看不起(某人) overlook;despise;consider oneself superior to;show false contempt for look down on sb/sth
- look for (v.+prep.)
寻找(某人或某物) try to find (sth/sb), often that is lost
We are looking for an ambitious young assistant. 我们正在找一名有雄心壮志的青年助手。
You are the very man I'm looking for. 你正是我要找的人。
Some birds are looking for food. 有些鸟在寻找食物。
Tom's brother is anxious to look for a job. 汤姆的哥哥急于找到一份工作。
〈口〉找(麻烦);找(苦头)吃 behave in such a way as to cause or fail to avoid trouble
That foolish fellow is looking for trouble. 那个愚蠢的家伙在自找麻烦。
Joe often gets into fights because he is always looking for trouble. 乔常跟人家打架,因为他总是惹麻烦。
希望得到 hope to get (sth);expect (sth/sb)
It's too soon yet to look for results. 要想知道结果为时尚早。
We did not look for such a success. 这样的成功是我们没意料到的。
- 寻找(某人或某物) try to find (sth/sb), often that is lost
- look forward to (v.+adv.+prep.)
盼望;期待 expect and anticipate (sb/sth) pleasurably look forward to sth/v-ing
I am looking forward to the dinner party.我期待着宴会的举行。
The children are looking forward to the holiday.孩子们盼望假期。
We looked forward to hearing from you.我们期望着收到您的来信。用于 be ～ed 结构
The party, which had been greatly looked forward to, was ruined by the rude behaviour of an uninvited guest.那位不速之客举止粗野,破坏了大家热切盼望的聚会。
National Day had been looked forward to for a month or more.一个多月以来,人们一直盼望着国庆节的到来。
- 盼望;期待 expect and anticipate (sb/sth) pleasurably look forward to sth/v-ing
- look in1 (v.+adv.)
往(建筑物)里面看 direct one's eyes into (sth such as a building) look in
At last he came to the house and looked in.最后,他来到房间并向屋里看了看。
When I drew back the curtains, there outside the window stood a crowd of people looking in.我拉开窗帘,窗外站着一群人正往里面看。
拜访;进行短暂访问 pay a short visit to (sb/sth) look in
We shall be pleased to see you if you came to look in any time you're passing.非常欢迎你路过时顺便进来坐坐。look in at sth
We just looked in at the exhibition, but we didn't stay long.我们顺路去看了一下展览,但没有呆很久。
I'll look in at the shop on my way home.我将在回家的路上顺便到这家商店里转一转。look in on sb
Dr. Smith looked in on the invalid the day before yesterday.史密斯大夫前天去看望伤病员。
On his way downtown,Jim looked in on his aunt.在他进城去的路途上,吉姆顺便看望了他的姑母。
- 往(建筑物)里面看 direct one's eyes into (sth such as a building) look in
- look in2 (v.+prep.)
向…里面看 direct one's eyes inside;try to see in sth look in sth
She seems to spend a lot of time looking in the mirror.她花了很长时间照镜子。
I got such a shock when I looked in the mirror.我对着镜子看了看,不禁大吃一惊。
Look in the cupboard and see if we have any more coffee.看看碗橱里面是否还有咖啡。
把注意力转向… turn one's attention to (sth) look in sth
When the professor entered the classroom, we all looked in the other direction, pretending not to see him.当教授走进教室时,我们都朝另一个方向看去,假装没有看见他。look sb in sth
I won't be able to look him in the eye if I lie.我要是撒谎,我就不敢直视他的眼睛。
If he knows I told him a lie, how can I look him in the face again?如果他知道我对他撒了谎,我还怎么再见他!
- 向…里面看 direct one's eyes inside;try to see in sth look in sth
- look into (v.+prep.)
浏览;调查〔查找〕… ask;try to find information in;turn one's attention to sth look into sb/sth/wh-to-v
I have looked into the book.我已略看过这本书。
The government will look into how to reduce unemployment.政府将研究如何降低失业率。用于 be ～ed 结构
Your complaint is being looked into.When we have anything to report we will write to you again.你的诉讼正在研究之中。如果有事需要通知,我们会写信给你的。
- 浏览;调查〔查找〕… ask;try to find information in;turn one's attention to sth look into sb/sth/wh-to-v
- look like (v.+prep.)
看起来与(某人或某物)相像或相似 have an appearance the same or nearly the same as (sb/sth else)
He looks like a scholar. 他看上去像个学者。
He looks like his father. 他长得像他父亲。
These houses look exactly like each other, which makes the street look very dull. 这些房屋的外观极为相似,使整条街道显得十分呆板。
很可能出现或引起(某事、做某事) be likely to result in (sth or doing sth)
It looks like rain;Let's start for home. 天像是要下雨了,咱们回家吧!
It does not look like rain. You needn't take your umbrella. 看来不会下雨,你不必带伞。
- 看起来与(某人或某物)相像或相似 have an appearance the same or nearly the same as (sb/sth else)
- look on1 (v.+adv.)
在一旁观看,袖手旁观 watch instead of (doing sth) look on
No,I'm not playing;I'm just looking on.不,我并没有玩,我只不过是在旁观。
The children played in the park while their mother looked on.孩子们在公园里玩耍,而他们的母亲则在一旁观看。
He just looked on while we were playing football.当我们踢足球时,他只是旁观。
They stood looking on while the man was robbed.正当那个人被抢劫时,他们却站在那儿袖手旁观。
- 在一旁观看,袖手旁观 watch instead of (doing sth) look on
- look on2〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
把眼光投向〔以某种观点来看待或对待〕(某物或某人) direct one's eyes towards (sth/sb);regard;consider;have a point of view about (sb/sth) look on〔upon〕 sb/sth
He looked on me with curiosity.他好奇地凝视着我。
We should look on the bright side of things.我们应该看到事物的光明面。
I don't know how you look upon this matter.我不知道你怎么看待这事。look on〔upon〕 sb/sth as sb/sth
They look on me as their own brother.他们把我当作是自己的兄弟。
He looked upon the old man as his father.他把那位老人看作自己的父亲。
Do you look on him as the best doctor in town?你认为他是城内最好的医生吗?
I've always looked upon Mary as somebody I can trust.我一直把玛丽看作是我可以信赖的人。
We look upon you as belonging to the family.我们把你当作家人。用于 be ～ed 结构
Professor Hua is looked upon as an authority on mathematics.华教授被看成数学权威。
- 把眼光投向〔以某种观点来看待或对待〕(某物或某人) direct one's eyes towards (sth/sb);regard;consider;have a point of view about (sb/sth) look on〔upon〕 sb/sth
- look oneself
显得健康或情绪正常 seem in one's usual state of health or spirits
Mary had a long illness, but now she looked quite herself again. 玛丽病了很久,但现在已恢复健康了。
- 显得健康或情绪正常 seem in one's usual state of health or spirits
- look out (v.+adv.)
向外看;面向;朝外 direct one's eyes outside;have a view of (sth) look out
My hotel room looks out across the lake.从我住的旅馆房间望出去是一派湖光景色。
The shop looks out into a busy street.这个店铺面朝一条繁华的街道。
The castle looked out over the distant forest.城堡对着远处的森林。
Our house looks out on the river.我们的房屋面向大河。
My window looks out on the garden.我的窗户对着花园。
He asked me to look out of the door to see what a birthday gift he prepared for me.他叫我向门外看,看他为我准备了什么生日礼物。
Look out of the car window, there's a deer crossing the road.从车窗向外看,有只鹿正在横穿道路。
当心;警惕 take care;be watchful look out
Look out! Don't let the fire get near the gasoline!小心!别让火靠近汽油!
Look out or you'll fall into the pond.小心点,不然你会掉进池塘里。
Tell the children to look out when they cross the main street.告诉孩子们过马路时要当心。look out (that-)clause
I shall look out that I don't trust him again .我要留神,下次不再信任他了。
Look out the milk doesn't spill.当心不要让牛奶溢出来。
挑出或找出(某物) find (sth) by choosing look sth ⇔ out
I'll look out the photograph you want to see.我会把你要看的照片找出来。
I have asked the librarian to look out a book on butterflies for me.我已请图书管理员帮我找一本有关蝴蝶的书。用于 be ～ed 结构
Have those things for the jumble sale been looked out yet?作旧杂货拍卖的那些东西已找出来了吗?
- 向外看;面向;朝外 direct one's eyes outside;have a view of (sth) look out
- look out for (v.+adv.+prep.)
搜寻(某人或某物);试图得到(某物) try to find (sb/sth) by searching;try to get sth look out for sb/sth
Will you go to the station and look out for Mr. White?你到车站去等待怀特先生好吗?
I'm looking out for a new house.我正在找一幢新房子。
- 搜寻(某人或某物);试图得到(某物) try to find (sb/sth) by searching;try to get sth look out for sb/sth
- look over1 (v.+adv.)
从(某物上面)看过去 direct one's eyes over (sth) look over
The boy pulled himself to the top of the wall and looked over.那个孩子趴在墙头上看。
仔细检查〔审视〕(某人或某物) examine (sth/sb) carefully look sb/sth over
Please look them over.请把它们检查一遍。
He asked my age, height and weight and looked me over.他询问了我的年龄、身高和体重,又上下打量了我一番。
He signed the contract without even looking it over.他甚至看都没有看，就在合同上面签了字。
We must look the school over before sending our son there.送儿子进那所学校之前,得先了解一下该校的情况。
- 从(某物上面)看过去 direct one's eyes over (sth) look over
- look over2 (v.+prep.)
越过(某物)看;能看到(某处) direct one's eyes over sth;have a view of (sth)
From the top of the hill we can look over the city. 在山顶上,我们可以俯瞰全城。
The child was not tall enough to look over the wall. 这孩子个头不够高,不能从墙头望过去。
Our teacher had a way of looking over her glasses at us whenever we offered a silly answer. 每当我们的回答不着边际时,我们的老师就从她的眼镜框上面看我们。
I am looking backward over my shoulder. 我正回头向后看。
检查或审视(某物);研究〔考虑〕(某物) examine sth carefully;study (sth), as by repeating
I shall be glad if you'll look over these letters. 你如果愿意把这些信件看一遍,我很高兴。
You may look over this photograph album while waiting for us here. 在这儿等我们时,你可以翻阅这本相册。
I've looked over these English exercises several times, but I still don't understand them. 我已将这些英文练习看过好几遍了,但还是不理解。
宽容… excuse;choose not to notice or punish (a fault)
I'll look over your carelessness this time, but be more careful in future. 这次我原谅你的粗心,但以后要认真。
- 越过(某物)看;能看到(某处) direct one's eyes over sth;have a view of (sth)
- look through1 (v.+adv.)
仔细检查或审查(某物) examine (sth) carefully
I'll look your suggestion through before passing it to the committee. 我要先审查一下你的建议,然后再送交委员会。
Please look through your desk and see if my English dictionary is there. 请仔细检查一下你的书桌,看看我的英语词典是不是在里面。
对(某人)视而不见 look at without seeming to notice sb, on purpose or because of deep thought
Ever since we had the argument, she looks me straight through as if I didn't exist. 自从我们那次争论之后,她总是故意不理睬我,好像我根本不存在似的。
- 仔细检查或审查(某物) examine (sth) carefully
- look through2 (v.+prep.)
穿过…看 direct one's eyes through (sth)
I looked through a telescope. 我从望远镜里看过去。
I looked through the open door, but the room was empty. 通过敞开的门向里看,我看到屋里空无一人。
看穿或识破(某人或某事) know the truth about;not to be deceived by (sth/sb)
Every time I try to fool him, he looks through my tricks. 我每次企图愚弄他都被他识破了。
粗略地翻阅;细审… look quickly in (sth, often written or printed)
He looks through several newspaper before breakfast. 他早饭前通常浏览几份报纸。
Let's look through these lessons more carefully. 我们来把这几课好好复习一下。
You should look through your notes before the examination. 考试前你应该复习一下笔记。
Look through this article and tell us what you think of it. 把这篇文章好好看一下,然后谈谈你的看法。
I have looked through your report and made some notes on it. 我已仔细看完了你的报告,并在上面写了些评语。
- 穿过…看 direct one's eyes through (sth)
- look to (v.+prep.)
朝(某物)看去;面对〔面朝〕(某物) direct one's eyes towards (usually sth);face (sth) look to sth
The front of the house looks to the sea. It gets a beautiful view.这座房子面朝大海,可以看到很美的景观。
Tian An Men looks to the south and the Monument to the People's Heroes looks to Tian An Men.天安门面朝南面,而人民英雄纪念碑面朝天安门。
留神〔照看〕(某人或某物) guard;be careful about;pay attention to;take care of (sth/sb) look to sb/sth
Would you look to the children, please?请你照料这些孩子好吗?
Look to it that you don't violate the regulations.注意别犯规。
Look to it that this doesn't happen again.注意不要让这种事情再发生。
Look to it that you don't offend the old man.注意别让老年人生气。
Look to it that all the arrangements are completed before next week.确保下星期前完成所有的安排。
Look to it that you catch the train.你一定要赶上火车。
Look (to it) that everything is ready.注意把一切都准备好。
Look (to it) that they do not escape.当心别让他们逃跑。
Look that all is right.注意是否一切都齐备。
依靠〔指望〕(某人或某事) depend on;expect look to sb/sth
The child looks to his mother in curing his hurt.孩子依赖母亲来治疗他的创伤。
She has always looked to her parents for advice.她总是指望她的父母替她出主意。
We always look to the mountains to see what kind of weather we shall have next, as it always comes from that direction.我们经常观望群山,以预测天气的变化,因为天气变化总是从那个方向来的。look to sb to-v
I look to you to support me in this matter.在这件事上我要靠你支持。
- 朝(某物)看去;面对〔面朝〕(某物) direct one's eyes towards (usually sth);face (sth) look to sth
- look up (v.+adv.)
向上看;抬头看 raise one's head to have a look look up
Don't look up.不要向上看。
She looked up and saw me.她抬头看见了我。
The clerk looked up from his desk and frowned.办事员从办公桌上抬起头来一看,皱了皱眉头。
改善;好转 appear to be improving look up
Business is looking up.生意日趋繁荣。
The trade between the two countries is looking up.两国间的贸易关系正在好转。
Their economic conditions began to look up.他们的经济状况开始改善。
The weather is looking up, so we can go for a picnic this Sunday.天气开始好转,所以星期日我们可以去野餐了。
The first year was tough, but business looked up after that.第一年是艰难的,但在那以后,生意好转了。
拜访(某人) visit sb look sb ⇔ up
Next time you are in Beijing, look me up.你下次来北京时,来找我。
Don't forget to look me up when you come to Hainan.到了海南,可别忘了来看我。
I want to look up an old friend when I get there.我到那儿后要去拜访一位老朋友。
While he was in Chicago,Henry looked up a friend of college days.亨利在芝加哥时,拜访了一位大学时的朋友。
查找… seek (information) in a reference book look sth ⇔ up
Please look up a fast train to Leeds.请查一下去利兹的快车。
Every student should look up all new words in his dictionary each day.学生每天都应该在词典里查所有的生词。用于 be ～ed 结构
When all the facts have been looked up, pass them on to me.查对了所有的事实之后,把它们传给我。
- 向上看;抬头看 raise one's head to have a look look up
- look up and down (v.+adv.)
上下打量(某人) search (sb) with the eyes look sb up and down
He looked her up and down and decided to ask her out.他上下打量她,并打算要她出去。
After looking me up and down for a few minutes, he decided that I was telling the truth.他仔细打量了我几分钟之后,认定我是在讲实话。
- 上下打量(某人) search (sb) with the eyes look sb up and down
- look up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
抬头看(某人或某物);尊重〔敬仰〕(某人) admire, respect sb highly look up to sb
Mr. Smith had taught for many years, and all students looked up to him.史密斯先生教了多年的书,他的所有学生都尊敬他。
The schoolmaster was a scholarly man. All his pupils looked up to him.校长是个很有学问的人,他的学生都尊重他。
Pupils should be taught to look up to their parents.应该教育学生尊敬父母。用于 be ～ed 结构
She is looked up to by her friends.她受朋友的尊敬。
He is looked up to by everybody there.他在那里受到众人的尊敬。
Teachers are very much looked up to in China.在中国,教师很受尊敬。look up to sb as sb/sth
The peasants looked up to him as a specialist.农民们尊他为专家。
We looked up to you as a shining example of devotion to the scientific cause.我们把你看作献身于科学事业的光辉榜样。
- 抬头看(某人或某物);尊重〔敬仰〕(某人) admire, respect sb highly look up to sb
- by the look(s) of
从外表看起来;看样子 probably;judging from the way
Taxes are going to go up by the look of it. 看样子要加税了。
Yes. In fact, she didn't need a trunk at all from the looks of this. 是的,看起来她实际并不需要一只箱子。
By the looks of him, he won't live much longer. 看他的样子怕是活不长了。
- 从外表看起来;看样子 probably;judging from the way
- look a gift horse in the mouth 对一礼物吹毛求疵
- look death in the face 决意一死,不顾死活
- look one's affairs in the face 深知自己的财政状况
- look one's age〔years〕 看模样和岁数相同
- look one's consent 面露同意之色
- look one's despair 露出失望之色
- look one's gratitude 用眼神表示谢意
- look one's thanks 面露感激之色
- look oneself 不改常态,是正常的样子
- look oneself blind 眼睛看花
- look sb in the face 注视某人的脸
- look sb full in the face 盯着某人的脸仔细看
- look sb into silence 瞧得某人不作声
- look sb out of countenance 瞧得某人局促不安
- look sb to shame 瞧得某人难为情
- look sb up and down 上下打量某人
- look a bit nervous 看起来有点紧张
- look a little surprised 显得有些吃惊
- look alike 看起来相像
- look alive 当心,留心,快些,赶快
- look angry 好像生气
- look anxious 面带愁容,焦急,担心
- look big 摆出一副了不起的样子,洋洋自得,盛气凌人
- look black 面容凶恶,形势恶劣
- look blank 显得惊骇惶惑,茫然若失
- look blue (人)无能,灰溜溜的,颓丧,面带忧伤或不满之色
- look cheerful and healthy 看来健康愉快
- look closed 看来保密
- look cold 显得冷淡的样子
- look complicated 显得复杂
- look convinced 看来相信
- look deserted 显得冷清清的
- look doubtful 好像靠不住,似乎可疑
- look embarrassed 显得尴尬
- look fit 看起来很健康
- look foolish 显得笨
- look frightened 似乎害怕
- look good 看来不错
- look grave 似乎严重
- look guilty 显得内疚,好像是犯罪的样子
- look happy 喜形于色
- look honest 看来诚实
- look ill 看上去有病,看来不漂亮
- look kind 看起来仁慈
- look nice 看起来漂亮
- look pale 脸色苍白
- look puzzled 好像迷惑
- look quite strong 身体显得很壮实
- look rather offended 显得相当生气
- look sad 面带悲容
- look sharp 非常留心,赶快
- look shocked 显得震惊
- look sleepy 显得困的样子
- look small 畏缩,羞涩,显得卑劣
- look smart 看起来漂亮
- look snappy 看起来敏捷
- look startled 显得吃惊
- look suspicious 似乎不可靠,有些可疑
- look terrible 貌似可怕
- look tired 脸色疲倦
- look ugly 显得很丑
- look very serious 面貌很端庄
- look well (指人)气色好,看来健康,(指物)美观,悦目,令人满意
- look wonderfully green 看起来一片翠绿
- look worried 面带忧伤
- look ahead 预测,向前看
- look far ahead into the future 展望遥远的未来
- look before and after 瞻前顾后
- look deep 仔细研究
- look every inch 看上去是十足的
- look hard 死盯着,愤怒地看着
- look higher and further 看得更远大
- look high and low 到处寻找
- look upward 向上看
- look blankly 毫无表情地看
- look carefully 细看
- look cautiously 谨慎地看
- look closely 仔细查明
- look coldly 冷淡地看待
- look compassionately 显露出怜悯之情
- look confidently 满怀信心地期待
- look critically 窥视
- look cursorily 粗略地看
- look demurely 拘谨地看着
- look disapprovingly 不以为然地看着
- look disconsolately 郁郁不乐的样子
- look disdainfully 蔑视
- look dubiously 犹豫不决的样子
- look eagerly 热切地期望
- look ferociously 看上去凶猛,残忍
- look fixedly 凝视
- look haggardly 形容枯槁的样子
- look impertinently 不礼貌〔傲慢〕地看着
- look incredulously 表示出怀疑的样子
- look inquiringly 好奇地看
- look intently 热切地〔目不转睛地〕看
- look joyfully 高兴地看
- look keenly 目光敏锐地弄清〔查明〕
- look kindly 看上去和蔼〔仁慈〕
- look meditatively 陷入沉思的样子
- look mockingly 嘲笑〔愚弄〕地看着
- look narrowly 仔细调查
- look nervously 神经紧张地看着
- look obliquely 斜眼看
- look ominously 看起来有不祥之兆
- look strangely 奇怪地看着
- look vacantly 茫然地看着
- look vindictively 报复地怒视
- look about 向四下看,环顾,留心察看
- look about for sth 四下寻找某物,东寻西找
- look around 四下里张望,环视,随便看看
- look around for a house to let 四处物色出租的房子
- look away 把脸转过去,看别的地方
- look back 回忆；畏缩,停滞不前
- look back at sb 回顾某人
- look back on the past 回顾过去
- look back upon〔to〕 the old days 回想以往的岁月
- look back to the scenes of childhood 回忆童年的情景
- look beyond 往远处看
- look down 低下头
- look down at the beach 看海滩
- look down on 看不起…
- look in 顺便访问
- look over 审阅
- look up 向上看,好转,(物价等)上涨,(市面等)兴旺,(在词典中)查找,访问,看望
- look beyond 朝比…更远的地方看,考虑…以后(更大)的问题
- look beyond the grave 考虑身后事
- look for a needle in a haystack 海底捞针；徒劳无益
- look forward to 盼望,期待,希望,预计会有
- look in 往…里看,直视,正视
- look in splendid health 看上去身体好极了
- look in that direction 朝那个方向看
- look into 向…里面看,浏览,窥视,调查,了解,研究
- look into a book 查书本
- look into a man's eyes 观其目见其心
- look into a matter 调查事实
- look into chronicles of the Middle Ages 浏览中世纪的编年史
- look into darkness 朝暗处看
- look into the future 展望未来
- look into the past 回顾过去
- look like 好像,看起来(仿佛)要…,是…样子
- look on〔upon〕 看作,面朝
- look on a project with favour 欢迎新计划
- look on sb as an authority 把某人看作权威
- look on sb with distrust 对某人抱不信任态度
- look on the bright side of 抱乐观态度
- look on the street 面临街道
- look out for 当心,提防,照顾,注意,留心,寻找
- look out of 往…外看
- look sb out of countenance 瞧得某人局促不安
- look over 打量,从…上面看过去,俯视,察看,审阅,复习,原谅
- look over sb's faults 原谅某人的过错
- look through 透过…看去,看穿,仔细查看,从头读(看)一遍,浏览,故意忽视
- look through a window 透过窗户看
- look through coloured spectacles 有偏见
- look through one's eyes 从目光中显露出来
- look through one's fingers at a man's faults 放过不究
- look through one's notes before the examination 考前把笔记看一遍
- look through sb's trick 识破某人的诡计
- look straight through sb 故意不理睬某人
- look to 向…看去,面向,倾向,照管,注意,负责,指望,依赖
- look to everything oneself 一切来自过目
- look to sb for help 期待〔指望〕某人的帮助,请某人帮助
- look to the matter 注意观察此事
- look to the mountains 向群山看去
- look to the south (房子等)朝南
- look to your health 千万珍重,保重身体
- look towards 往…看去,面朝,倾向,期待,(口)向某人敬酒
- look towards future 放眼未来
- look towards the development of local industries 促使地方工业发展
- look towards the east 向东面看
- look towards the sea 面临大海
- look upon sb/sth as 把…认为是…
- look with favour on sb 重视某人
- look with pity at 同情地看着
- look with respect on sb 尊敬某人
- bend one's look upon 朝…看
- get a look 看一看,瞧一眼
- give a look 看一眼
- have a look 看一看
- shoot a look 瞥一眼
- steal a look at 偷看…一眼
- take a look at 看…一眼
- throw a look 投来目光
- flash look 使外表闪光
- improve one's looks 改善某人的容貌
- introduce a new look 流行一种新款式
- lose one's good looks 失去美貌
- put on a look 装模作样
- wear a look of 呈现…神色
- anxious look 焦急的神色
- dirty look 非难的表情
- distant look 心不在焉的神情
- frequent look 经常的表情
- funny look 怪模怪样的目光
- gentle look 温和的表情
- good looks 美貌
- grim look 严厉的神色,凶狠的目光
- honest look 诚实的外表
- hopeless look 无望的表情
- friendly look 友好的表情
- last look 最后一眼
- loving look 爱慕的眼色
- new look 新貌
- pale look 苍白的神态
- second look 再看一眼
- serious look 严肃的神色
- sharp look 敏锐的目光
- shy look 害羞的表情
- silly look 糊涂的表情
- soft look 柔弱的表情
- strange look 古怪的目光
- unusual look 特殊的表情
- weak look 神色不好
- wild look 野蛮的表情
- wise look 明智的表情
- dreamy look 精神恍惚的样子
- droopy look 精神萎靡的样子
- dying look 垂死的样子
- eager look 焦急的样子
- elusive look 难以捉摸的样子
- envious look 嫉妒的样子
- expectant look 期待的样子
- fearful look 胆怯的样子
- fierce look 凶狠的样子
- frank look 坦率的样子
- frowning look 皱眉不展的样子
- furious look 狂怒的样子
- glad look 充满欢乐的样子
- grateful look 感激的样子
- happy look 高兴的样子
- hasty look 仓促的样子
- helpless look 无助的样子
- hungry look 显出饥饿的样子
- hunted look 被搜寻的样子
- hurried look 匆忙的样子
- hurt look 感情受到创伤的样子
- lingering look 缠绵的样子
- moody look 生气的样子
- naughty look 顽皮的样子
- open look 坦率的样子
- pitiful look 令人怜悯的样子
- resigned look 逆来顺受的样子
- sad look 悲伤的样子
- scared look 受惊的样子
- silly look 傻乎乎的样子
- by looks 根据相貌
- for the look of the thing 为了装点门面,为了维护面子
- from the look of the sky 根据天气
- in looks 外貌上
- upon the look 在寻找中
- with a look 带…神色
- with a look of great composure 泰然自若的样子
- with a look of relief 带着放松的神态
Mons. Broussard..took a good look at us.出自：A. Loos
The hat she stuck on without giving a look in the glass.出自：V. Woolf
Then she saw me..and if looks could have killed!出自：K. Tennant
'What are you doing with that torch?' 'Just having a look round.'出自：D. Eden
The whole question of mobilisation requires a new look.出自：B. Montgomery
She gives me a couple of long looks.出自：W. Wharton
When we look only with one eye.出自：G. Berkeley
Yes, you may look!出自：Oxford English Dictionary
Though the police looked with care, they had discovered no fingerprints.出自：W. S. Maugham
They'd run over you as soon as look at you.出自：E. O
Resplendently dressed ladies looked significantly at each other.出自：J. C. Powys
Looking grimly into the mirror.出自：C. Isherwood
He looked straight ahead of him.出自：B. Rubens
Go into the study and look at TV.出自：M. Sarton
Roy looked from one man to the other.出自：E. Welty
I liked to look; I noticed everything.出自：V. S. Naipaul
- look还可用作系动词,其后可接(to be+) n./adj. / v -ed/ prep. -phrase或as if引起的从句作表语,意思是“看起来…”。
- look作“留心”“注意”解时,常用于look (to it)结构,其后接that从句充当it的同位语。
- 关于look at sth 结构,有两种分析方法,一是把look at视为及物动词, sth 是其宾语;二是把look at视为介词,而把sth 看作是介词at的宾语。笔者倾向第一种分析,因为其中的sth 常可转换为被动句的主语。
- I look forward to,I am looking forward to
短语look forward to在句中可用于一般现在时,也可用于一般进行时,前者口气较随便,多用在私人信件中;后者口气较正式,常用在公文中。
- look for, look forward to, anticipate, expect
这组词(组)的共同意思是“期待,等待”。其区别是：expect指“等待某事发生”,常有一定的根据,发生的可能性较大；anticipate含有“预先体味”的意味；look for是日常用词,也可表示“期待”；look forward to指以欢乐或焦急的心情期待某事发生。例如:I expect to see some fine films during the holidays.我期望假期能看上几部好电影。We anticipate that we shall hear from you again.我们预感到将会再接到你的信。I think we may look for a better result next time.我想下次结果可能会好一些。I'm looking forward to your visit.我期待着你的来访。
- look, appear, seem
这三个词都可用作系动词,表示“看起来”。其区别是：1.在含义上, appear 强调外表上给人的某种印象,有时含实质上并非如此的意思; look意味着看上去如此,实际亦是如此; seem 则暗示判断有一定根据,这种判断往往接近事实。例如:
2.在用法上,这三个词都可跟形容词或“to be+形容词或名词”结构,也可用于It appears〔appeared〕/looks〔looked〕/seems〔seemed〕 as if...结构。但是, appear 和seem跟to- v 时仍表示“看起来”,而look 接to- v 则是“盼望”的意思。例如:
- He appears to be very young.
- He looks to be very young.
- He seems to be very young.
- He appears〔seems〕 to know it.
- He looks to hear from you.
- 另外, appear 和seem可用于It appears〔appeared〕/seems〔seemed〕 that...结构,而look不能。例如:
- ［误］ It looks to me that he enjoys read- ing the novel.
- ［正］ It appears〔seems〕 to me that he enjoys reading the novel.
- 还有, appear 和seem一般不用于进行体; 而look可用现在进行时,这和一般现在时所表示的意思无多大区别。例如:
- You are looking〔look〕 very unhappy.你看起来很不高兴。
- look, glance
这两个词的共同意思是“看”,都可接介词at。其区别是：glance指匆忙地看一眼,也指粗略地、随便看看、暗暗地看; 而look则表示有意识地注意看,将视线集中于某人或某物上,着重于看的动作。例如:She felt very nervous with so many people looking at her.这么多人瞧着她,她感到非常紧张。I found the child opposite looking at my red hat.我发现对面的孩子在看我的红帽子。
- look, see, watch
这三个词都有“看”的意思。其区别是：look指有意识的“动作”;see指有意或无意的“结果”;watch则指有意识地以期待、警觉等心情看上一段时间。例如:We looked but saw nothing.我们看了,可是什么也没看到。They are watching a TV play.他们在看电视剧。
- look for, discover, find, find out, invent
这组词(组)都有“发明”“发现”的意思。discover指发现或偶然发现原来就存在但一直未被认识的东西; look for作“寻找”解时,指寻找的动作和过程; find指寻找的结果,即“找到”,是非延续性动词,不如discover正式; find out指经过观察、调查把某事、某物查出来,搞清楚,弄明白,多用于复杂而不易直接查出的情况; invent指发明原来不存在的东西,有时也可指虚构、捏造。例如:Whilhelm Roentgen discovered X rays.威尔海尔姆·伦琴发现了X射线。He was amazed to find her there.发现她在那里,他很吃惊。Let's try and find out what's at the back of this problems.咱们想法弄清问题的背景是怎样的。Whatt invented the steam engine.瓦特发明了蒸汽机。She ran across some old letters when she was looking for something else.她找别的东西时,偶然翻出几封过去的信。
- He looks an honest man.
- He looks like an honest man.
- He looks to be honest.
- He looks honest.
- The old man looks good.
- The old man looks well.
- Look out of the window!
- Look out at the window!
- look over one's shoulder
- look over sb's shoulder
- look down on
- look down at
- look to the matter
- look into the matter
- look over my hat
- look my hat over
- look upon as an authority
- look up to as an authority
- look, air
2.作“神态”讲,即表达抽象概念,只能用air,而不能用look。例如：Judy always gives himself airs.朱迪常摆架子(表示抽象概念)。
- The accused spoke about it with an air of secrecy.(是装出来的)
- The accused spoke about it with a look of secrecy.(是真情的流露)
- look, appearance, aspect, countenance, face, features, visage
- appear look seem
- appearance look face aspect
误 I am looking forward to see you.
正 I am looking forward to seeing you.
析 look forward to中的to是介词,不是动词不定式符号。
误 He looks happily.
误 He is looking happy.
正 He looks happy.
误 He is looked handsome.
正 He looks handsome.
误 He looks as a monkey.
正 He looks a monkey.
析 look用作系动词时可跟as if引导的从句,或to be n./adj. 结构, to be有时可省略,但不跟as短语。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的loiacn；最初源自西日耳曼语的lokjan，意为看，凝视，偷窥。
- look:v.【luk】v.看，望，注视；显得 n.看，望；外表，脸色 vi.1. 看【(+at)】These flowers are good to look at.这些花很好看。What are you l…