- 瞧！ 看！
- 留神！ 当心！
- vi. & vt. 看,瞧 turn the eyes so as to see sth or see in the stated direction
- vi. 面向,朝向 face in the stated direction
- link-v. 看来,显得 seem by expression or appearance
- [S]看,瞥 an act of looking
- [S]脸色,神色,表情 an expression in the eyes or on the face
- [P]容貌 person's appearance
the feelings expressed on a person's face;
"a sad expression"
"a look of triumph"
"an angry face"
the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually;
"he went out to have a look"
"his look was fixed on her eyes"
"he gave it a good looking at"
"his camera does his looking for him"
"I don't like the looks of this place"
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people;
"the feel of the city excited him"
"a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
"it had the smell of treason"
perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards;
"She looked over the expanse of land"
"Look at your child!"
"Look--a deer in the backyard!"
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect;
"She seems to be sleeping"
"This appears to be a very difficult problem"
"This project looks fishy"
"They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
have a certain outward or facial expression;
"How does she look?"
"The child looks unhappy"
"She looked pale after the surgery"
search or seek;
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"
"Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to;
"The house looks north"
"My backyard look onto the pond"
"The building faces the park"
take charge of or deal with;
"Could you see about lunch?"
"I must attend to this matter"
"She took care of this business"
convey by one's expression;
"She looked her devotion to me"
look forward to the probable occurrence of;
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"
"She is looking to a promotion"
"he is waiting to be drafted"
accord in appearance with;
"You don't look your age!"
have faith or confidence in;
"you can count on me to help you any time"
"Look to your friends for support"
"You can bet on that!"
"Depend on your family in times of crisis"
- He looked at the baby with a smile.
- They looked forward very much to seeing him again.
- He turned on the torch to look for his keys.
- He looks nervous.
- All people that go to church look happy.
- We may look at the world around us.
- The house looks east.
- Let's take a look round the exhibition.
- In such cases he would put on an aggrieved look.
- They've given the shop a completely new look.
- He had a startled look on his face.
- He looked aimlessly before him.
- Just look straight ahead and you will see a pagoda.
- What is the use of my showing this to you if you don't look?
- He looked aside when I spoke to him.
- The house looks south.
- The offices look onto a park.
- One must look higher and further.
- He often looks before and after when he deals with problems.
- When you look deeper, you'll find some differences between them.
- He looks an honest man.
- He looks a good athlete
- He's beginning to look his age.
- She scarcely looks her years.
- On that occasion, Clive looked a perfect fool.
- Well,I must say, you are looking quite a different person.
- He looks to be a young man of twenty.
- She looks to be the best person for the job.
- He looks anxious.
- They look almost alike.
- You're looking blue, what's the matter?
- She looks much younger than she is.
- She was looking her best,She looks her best in this suit.
- These houses look very nice, don't they?
- We seemed to be approaching Shanghai.The fields look wonderfully green here.
- As prices dropped lower and lower, things looked black for Henry's company.
- Whenever the future looks black, remind yourself of other difficulties that you have conquered in the past.
- He looked blank when he was informed of his dismissal.
- It looks very suspicious to me.
- The girl looked puzzled.
- Tom looked rather offended.
- He looks a little surprised.
- He looked startled when his nephew came in.
- The students looked a little surprised but said nothing,
- He looks in excellent health.
- She looks as if she were about to faint.
- It doesn't look to me as if we shall get there in time.
- She looks as if she knew all about the matter.
- They looked as if they didn't care.
- It looks as if it were going to rain.
- It looks as if we were going to have fine weather.
- It looks as if there will be a strike.
- It looks as if the coming autumn harvest will be even better than the last one.
- It looks as if they'll have to go home by taxi.
- It looks as if I'll finish the rest before the 15-day deadline too.
- I didn't look to meet you here.
- I look to be with you soon.
- If you're looking to buy a new car,I suggest you borrow some money from the bank.
- Please look what time the train starts.
- Look what time the clock says.
- Just look what you have done!
- Look what I have found.
- Look whether the postman has been yet.
- Look if it is right.
- Look, there comes the trolleybus.
- Look! It is snowing, winter is here at last.
- Well,I never !Look, who is here.
- Look, life today is heaven.Before it was hell.
- Look, there is a student here I ask you to meet.
- Look here,Jack, we won't be back this afternoon.
- Now look here! This sort of thing can't go on.
- Now look here! You really can't do that.
- May I have a look at it?
- I took a close look at her photo.
- The sailors took a last look at the port before sailing.
- The old man was displeased and darted an angry look at me.
- Jane darted an anxious look at the clock as she tried to finish her examination question.
- She answered with an angry look.
- I've had a good look, but I can't find it anywhere.
- I took one look at the coat and decided I would have to buy it.
- The country must have a long hard look at the tragedy of unemployment.
- He gave her an astonished look.
- She assumed a look of innocence.
- He sat down at the table with a weary look on his face.
- I knew she didn't like it by the look on her face.
- He has the look of a winner.
- She had a very disappointed look when she heard the news.
- My mother wore a troubled look when she heard of my father's illness.
- We threw a look of contempt at him because he told a deliberate lie.
- Never judge a man by his looks.
- His looks are really quite remarkable.
- She's got her father's good looks.
- She's starting to lose her looks.
- The twins girls were almost identical in looks.
- She used her good looks to compensate her lack of intelligence.
- The cuts above his eye have spoilt his looks.
- I knew something was wrong, everyone was giving me funny looks.
- She kept her looks even in old age.
- I don't like the look of this place.
- This year's fashion introduces a new look in skirts.
- look about〔around〕1 (v.+adv.)
(作出选择前)进行调查 make enquiries before choosing
- look about〔around〕2 (v.+prep.)
在(某处)或(某人)周围观望;在(某处)寻找 see in various directions about (a place or one);search in (a place)
look about〔around〕 sb/sth
The stranger looked about him with great interest.
You'd better look about you before you start your work here.
Looking about the whole room,I couldn't find any sign of being stolen.
- look about for (v.+adv.+prep.)
寻找(某人或某物) try to find and get (sth/sb) by searching
look about for sth
Are you still looking about for a job?
He failed to find his book though he had looked about for it.
As soon as Tony arrived in London, he looked about for a house to be lent.
- look after (v.+prep.)
照顾,照看(某人或某物) take care of;take the responsibility for (sb/sth)
- look at (v.+prep.)
接受 consider (sth) (as) acceptable
look at sb/sth
She is looking at you.
Everybody looked at the hero with great admiration.
I looked at him full in the face.
He looked at the stranger up and down.
I was used to looking at the stars at summer night when I was young.
The pupils are all looking at the chart on the wall.
The children spend too much time looking at television.
The picture was looked at by him.
My work hasn't been looked at for a week.
The flame in the furnace can be looked at through coloured glasses.
可以通过有色眼镜观看高炉内的火焰。look at sb to/ -v
Look at the boy run.
We looked at horses jump over the wall.
我们看着一匹又一匹马越墙而过。look at sb v-ing
We are looking at the boys swimming.
我们在看男孩子们游泳。look at sb/sth
Have you asked the plumber to come and look at the leaking pipe?
Will you please look at the battery of my car?
If your arm isn't better by tomorrow,I'd get the doctor to look at it.
We must learn to look at problems from all angles.
We must look at the matter in cold blood.
He looks at work in a different way now he's in charge.
The difficulty can now be looked at in a different light.
现在可以用不同的角度来看这个困难。look at sb/sth
I wouldn't look at a job like that.
I wouldn't look at such a poor offer.
No matter what I say they refuse to look at my suggestion.
- look away (v.+adv.)
不再看(某人或某物) turn one's eyes away from (sth/sb)
Don't look away while I am taking your photograph.
The singer was afraid that if she looked away , even for a moment, she would lose her place in the music.
- look down at (v.+adv.+prep.)
看不起或不赞成(某人或某物) consider (sth/sb) unworthy
look down one's nose at sb
John was an athlete who looked down his nose at the weak students.
The natives look down their noses at foreigners.
- look down on (v.+adv.+prep.)
俯瞰(某处);看不起(某人) overlook;despise;consider oneself superior to;show false contempt for
look down on sb/sth
She looks down on people like that.
The rich man looked down on his poorer neighbours.
Women were looked down on in the old days.
Women have grown tired of being looked down on by employers.
- look for (v.+prep.)
希望得到 hope to get (sth);expect (sth/sb)
- look forward to (v.+adv.+prep.)
盼望;期待 expect and anticipate (sb/sth) pleasurably
look forward to sth/v-ing
I am looking forward to the dinner party.
The children are looking forward to the holiday.
We looked forward to hearing from you.
The party, which had been greatly looked forward to, was ruined by the rude behaviour of an uninvited guest.
National Day had been looked forward to for a month or more.
- look in1 (v.+adv.)
拜访;进行短暂访问 pay a short visit to (sb/sth)
At last he came to the house and looked in.
When I drew back the curtains, there outside the window stood a crowd of people looking in.
We shall be pleased to see you if you came to look in any time you're passing.
非常欢迎你路过时顺便进来坐坐。look in at sth
We just looked in at the exhibition, but we didn't stay long.
I'll look in at the shop on my way home.
我将在回家的路上顺便到这家商店里转一转。look in on sb
Dr. Smith looked in on the invalid the day before yesterday.
On his way downtown,Jim looked in on his aunt.
- look in2 (v.+prep.)
把注意力转向… turn one's attention to (sth)
look in sth
She seems to spend a lot of time looking in the mirror.
I got such a shock when I looked in the mirror.
Look in the cupboard and see if we have any more coffee.
看看碗橱里面是否还有咖啡。look in sth
When the professor entered the classroom, we all looked in the other direction, pretending not to see him.
当教授走进教室时,我们都朝另一个方向看去,假装没有看见他。look sb in sth
I won't be able to look him in the eye if I lie.
If he knows I told him a lie, how can I look him in the face again?
- look into (v.+prep.)
浏览;调查〔查找〕… ask;try to find information in;turn one's attention to sth
look into sb/sth/wh-to-v
I have looked into the book.
The government will look into how to reduce unemployment.
Your complaint is being looked into.When we have anything to report we will write to you again.
- look like (v.+prep.)
很可能出现或引起(某事、做某事) be likely to result in (sth or doing sth)
- look on1 (v.+adv.)
在一旁观看,袖手旁观 watch instead of (doing sth)
No,I'm not playing;I'm just looking on.
The children played in the park while their mother looked on.
He just looked on while we were playing football.
They stood looking on while the man was robbed.
- look on2〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
把眼光投向〔以某种观点来看待或对待〕(某物或某人) direct one's eyes towards (sth/sb);regard;consider;have a point of view about (sb/sth)
look on〔upon〕 sb/sth
He looked on me with curiosity.
We should look on the bright side of things.
I don't know how you look upon this matter.
我不知道你怎么看待这事。look on〔upon〕 sb/sth as sb/sth
They look on me as their own brother.
He looked upon the old man as his father.
Do you look on him as the best doctor in town?
I've always looked upon Mary as somebody I can trust.
We look upon you as belonging to the family.
Professor Hua is looked upon as an authority on mathematics.
- look oneself
显得健康或情绪正常 seem in one's usual state of health or spirits
- look out (v.+adv.)
挑出或找出(某物) find (sth) by choosing
My hotel room looks out across the lake.
The shop looks out into a busy street.
The castle looked out over the distant forest.
Our house looks out on the river.
My window looks out on the garden.
He asked me to look out of the door to see what a birthday gift he prepared for me.
Look out of the car window, there's a deer crossing the road.
Look out! Don't let the fire get near the gasoline!
Look out or you'll fall into the pond.
Tell the children to look out when they cross the main street.
告诉孩子们过马路时要当心。look out (that-)clause
I shall look out that I don't trust him again .
Look out the milk doesn't spill.
当心不要让牛奶溢出来。look sth ⇔ out
I'll look out the photograph you want to see.
I have asked the librarian to look out a book on butterflies for me.
Have those things for the jumble sale been looked out yet?
- look out for (v.+adv.+prep.)
搜寻(某人或某物);试图得到(某物) try to find (sb/sth) by searching;try to get sth
look out for sb/sth
Will you go to the station and look out for Mr. White?
I'm looking out for a new house.
- look over1 (v.+adv.)
仔细检查〔审视〕(某人或某物) examine (sth/sb) carefully
The boy pulled himself to the top of the wall and looked over.
那个孩子趴在墙头上看。look sb/sth over
Please look them over.
He asked my age, height and weight and looked me over.
He signed the contract without even looking it over.
We must look the school over before sending our son there.
- look over2 (v.+prep.)
宽容… excuse;choose not to notice or punish (a fault)
- look through1 (v.+adv.)
对(某人)视而不见 look at without seeming to notice sb, on purpose or because of deep thought
- look through2 (v.+prep.)
粗略地翻阅;细审… look quickly in (sth, often written or printed)
- look to (v.+prep.)
依靠〔指望〕(某人或某事) depend on;expect
look to sth
The front of the house looks to the sea. It gets a beautiful view.
Tian An Men looks to the south and the Monument to the People's Heroes looks to Tian An Men.
天安门面朝南面,而人民英雄纪念碑面朝天安门。look to sb/sth
Would you look to the children, please?
Look to it that you don't violate the regulations.
Look to it that this doesn't happen again.
Look to it that you don't offend the old man.
Look to it that all the arrangements are completed before next week.
Look to it that you catch the train.
Look (to it) that everything is ready.
Look (to it) that they do not escape.
Look that all is right.
注意是否一切都齐备。look to sb/sth
The child looks to his mother in curing his hurt.
She has always looked to her parents for advice.
We always look to the mountains to see what kind of weather we shall have next, as it always comes from that direction.
我们经常观望群山,以预测天气的变化,因为天气变化总是从那个方向来的。look to sb to-v
I look to you to support me in this matter.
- look up (v.+adv.)
查找… seek (information) in a reference book
Don't look up.
She looked up and saw me.
The clerk looked up from his desk and frowned.
Business is looking up.
The trade between the two countries is looking up.
Their economic conditions began to look up.
The weather is looking up, so we can go for a picnic this Sunday.
The first year was tough, but business looked up after that.
第一年是艰难的,但在那以后,生意好转了。look sb ⇔ up
Next time you are in Beijing, look me up.
Don't forget to look me up when you come to Hainan.
I want to look up an old friend when I get there.
While he was in Chicago,Henry looked up a friend of college days.
亨利在芝加哥时,拜访了一位大学时的朋友。look sth ⇔ up
Please look up a fast train to Leeds.
Every student should look up all new words in his dictionary each day.
When all the facts have been looked up, pass them on to me.
- look up and down (v.+adv.)
上下打量(某人) search (sb) with the eyes
look sb up and down
He looked her up and down and decided to ask her out.
After looking me up and down for a few minutes, he decided that I was telling the truth.
- look up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
抬头看(某人或某物);尊重〔敬仰〕(某人) admire, respect sb highly
look up to sb
Mr. Smith had taught for many years, and all students looked up to him.
The schoolmaster was a scholarly man. All his pupils looked up to him.
Pupils should be taught to look up to their parents.
She is looked up to by her friends.
He is looked up to by everybody there.
Teachers are very much looked up to in China.
在中国,教师很受尊敬。look up to sb as sb/sth
The peasants looked up to him as a specialist.
We looked up to you as a shining example of devotion to the scientific cause.
- by the look(s) of
从外表看起来;看样子 probably;judging from the way
- look a gift horse in the mouth 对一礼物吹毛求疵
- look death in the face 决意一死,不顾死活
- look one's affairs in the face 深知自己的财政状况
- look one's age〔years〕 看模样和岁数相同
- look one's consent 面露同意之色
- look one's despair 露出失望之色
- look one's gratitude 用眼神表示谢意
- look one's thanks 面露感激之色
- look oneself 不改常态,是正常的样子
- look oneself blind 眼睛看花
- look sb in the face 注视某人的脸
- look sb full in the face 盯着某人的脸仔细看
- look sb into silence 瞧得某人不作声
- look sb out of countenance 瞧得某人局促不安
- look sb to shame 瞧得某人难为情
- look sb up and down 上下打量某人
- look a bit nervous 看起来有点紧张
- look a little surprised 显得有些吃惊
- look alike 看起来相像
- look alive 当心,留心,快些,赶快
- look angry 好像生气
- look anxious 面带愁容,焦急,担心
- look big 摆出一副了不起的样子,洋洋自得,盛气凌人
- look black 面容凶恶,形势恶劣
- look blank 显得惊骇惶惑,茫然若失
- look blue (人)无能,灰溜溜的,颓丧,面带忧伤或不满之色
- look cheerful and healthy 看来健康愉快
- look closed 看来保密
- look cold 显得冷淡的样子
- look complicated 显得复杂
- look convinced 看来相信
- look deserted 显得冷清清的
- look doubtful 好像靠不住,似乎可疑
- look embarrassed 显得尴尬
- look fit 看起来很健康
- look foolish 显得笨
- look frightened 似乎害怕
- look good 看来不错
- look grave 似乎严重
- look guilty 显得内疚,好像是犯罪的样子
- look happy 喜形于色
- look honest 看来诚实
- look ill 看上去有病,看来不漂亮
- look kind 看起来仁慈
- look nice 看起来漂亮
- look pale 脸色苍白
- look puzzled 好像迷惑
- look quite strong 身体显得很壮实
- look rather offended 显得相当生气
- look sad 面带悲容
- look sharp 非常留心,赶快
- look shocked 显得震惊
- look sleepy 显得困的样子
- look small 畏缩,羞涩,显得卑劣
- look smart 看起来漂亮
- look snappy 看起来敏捷
- look startled 显得吃惊
- look suspicious 似乎不可靠,有些可疑
- look terrible 貌似可怕
- look tired 脸色疲倦
- look ugly 显得很丑
- look very serious 面貌很端庄
- look well (指人)气色好,看来健康,(指物)美观,悦目,令人满意
- look wonderfully green 看起来一片翠绿
- look worried 面带忧伤
- look ahead 预测,向前看
- look far ahead into the future 展望遥远的未来
- look before and after 瞻前顾后
- look deep 仔细研究
- look every inch 看上去是十足的
- look hard 死盯着,愤怒地看着
- look higher and further 看得更远大
- look high and low 到处寻找
- look upward 向上看
- look blankly 毫无表情地看
- look carefully 细看
- look cautiously 谨慎地看
- look closely 仔细查明
- look coldly 冷淡地看待
- look compassionately 显露出怜悯之情
- look confidently 满怀信心地期待
- look critically 窥视
- look cursorily 粗略地看
- look demurely 拘谨地看着
- look disapprovingly 不以为然地看着
- look disconsolately 郁郁不乐的样子
- look disdainfully 蔑视
- look dubiously 犹豫不决的样子
- look eagerly 热切地期望
- look ferociously 看上去凶猛,残忍
- look fixedly 凝视
- look haggardly 形容枯槁的样子
- look impertinently 不礼貌〔傲慢〕地看着
- look incredulously 表示出怀疑的样子
- look inquiringly 好奇地看
- look intently 热切地〔目不转睛地〕看
- look joyfully 高兴地看
- look keenly 目光敏锐地弄清〔查明〕
- look kindly 看上去和蔼〔仁慈〕
- look meditatively 陷入沉思的样子
- look mockingly 嘲笑〔愚弄〕地看着
- look narrowly 仔细调查
- look nervously 神经紧张地看着
- look obliquely 斜眼看
- look ominously 看起来有不祥之兆
- look strangely 奇怪地看着
- look vacantly 茫然地看着
- look vindictively 报复地怒视
- look about 向四下看,环顾,留心察看
- look about for sth 四下寻找某物,东寻西找
- look around 四下里张望,环视,随便看看
- look around for a house to let 四处物色出租的房子
- look away 把脸转过去,看别的地方
- look back 回忆；畏缩,停滞不前
- look back at sb 回顾某人
- look back on the past 回顾过去
- look back upon〔to〕 the old days 回想以往的岁月
- look back to the scenes of childhood 回忆童年的情景
- look beyond 往远处看
- look down 低下头
- look down at the beach 看海滩
- look down on 看不起…
- look in 顺便访问
- look over 审阅
- look up 向上看,好转,(物价等)上涨,(市面等)兴旺,(在词典中)查找,访问,看望
- look beyond 朝比…更远的地方看,考虑…以后(更大)的问题
- look beyond the grave 考虑身后事
- look for a needle in a haystack 海底捞针；徒劳无益
- look forward to 盼望,期待,希望,预计会有
- look in 往…里看,直视,正视
- look in splendid health 看上去身体好极了
- look in that direction 朝那个方向看
- look into 向…里面看,浏览,窥视,调查,了解,研究
- look into a book 查书本
- look into a man's eyes 观其目见其心
- look into a matter 调查事实
- look into chronicles of the Middle Ages 浏览中世纪的编年史
- look into darkness 朝暗处看
- look into the future 展望未来
- look into the past 回顾过去
- look like 好像,看起来(仿佛)要…,是…样子
- look on〔upon〕 看作,面朝
- look on a project with favour 欢迎新计划
- look on sb as an authority 把某人看作权威
- look on sb with distrust 对某人抱不信任态度
- look on the bright side of 抱乐观态度
- look on the street 面临街道
- look out for 当心,提防,照顾,注意,留心,寻找
- look out of 往…外看
- look sb out of countenance 瞧得某人局促不安
- look over 打量,从…上面看过去,俯视,察看,审阅,复习,原谅
- look over sb's faults 原谅某人的过错
- look through 透过…看去,看穿,仔细查看,从头读(看)一遍,浏览,故意忽视
- look through a window 透过窗户看
- look through coloured spectacles 有偏见
- look through one's eyes 从目光中显露出来
- look through one's fingers at a man's faults 放过不究
- look through one's notes before the examination 考前把笔记看一遍
- look through sb's trick 识破某人的诡计
- look straight through sb 故意不理睬某人
- look to 向…看去,面向,倾向,照管,注意,负责,指望,依赖
- look to everything oneself 一切来自过目
- look to sb for help 期待〔指望〕某人的帮助,请某人帮助
- look to the matter 注意观察此事
- look to the mountains 向群山看去
- look to the south (房子等)朝南
- look to your health 千万珍重,保重身体
- look towards 往…看去,面朝,倾向,期待,(口)向某人敬酒
- look towards future 放眼未来
- look towards the development of local industries 促使地方工业发展
- look towards the east 向东面看
- look towards the sea 面临大海
- look upon sb/sth as 把…认为是…
- look with favour on sb 重视某人
- look with pity at 同情地看着
- look with respect on sb 尊敬某人
- bend one's look upon 朝…看
- get a look 看一看,瞧一眼
- give a look 看一眼
- have a look 看一看
- shoot a look 瞥一眼
- steal a look at 偷看…一眼
- take a look at 看…一眼
- throw a look 投来目光
- flash look 使外表闪光
- improve one's looks 改善某人的容貌
- introduce a new look 流行一种新款式
- lose one's good looks 失去美貌
- put on a look 装模作样
- wear a look of 呈现…神色
- anxious look 焦急的神色
- dirty look 非难的表情
- distant look 心不在焉的神情
- frequent look 经常的表情
- funny look 怪模怪样的目光
- gentle look 温和的表情
- good looks 美貌
- grim look 严厉的神色,凶狠的目光
- honest look 诚实的外表
- hopeless look 无望的表情
- friendly look 友好的表情
- last look 最后一眼
- loving look 爱慕的眼色
- new look 新貌
- pale look 苍白的神态
- second look 再看一眼
- serious look 严肃的神色
- sharp look 敏锐的目光
- shy look 害羞的表情
- silly look 糊涂的表情
- soft look 柔弱的表情
- strange look 古怪的目光
- unusual look 特殊的表情
- weak look 神色不好
- wild look 野蛮的表情
- wise look 明智的表情
- dreamy look 精神恍惚的样子
- droopy look 精神萎靡的样子
- dying look 垂死的样子
- eager look 焦急的样子
- elusive look 难以捉摸的样子
- envious look 嫉妒的样子
- expectant look 期待的样子
- fearful look 胆怯的样子
- fierce look 凶狠的样子
- frank look 坦率的样子
- frowning look 皱眉不展的样子
- furious look 狂怒的样子
- glad look 充满欢乐的样子
- grateful look 感激的样子
- happy look 高兴的样子
- hasty look 仓促的样子
- helpless look 无助的样子
- hungry look 显出饥饿的样子
- hunted look 被搜寻的样子
- hurried look 匆忙的样子
- hurt look 感情受到创伤的样子
- lingering look 缠绵的样子
- moody look 生气的样子
- naughty look 顽皮的样子
- open look 坦率的样子
- pitiful look 令人怜悯的样子
- resigned look 逆来顺受的样子
- sad look 悲伤的样子
- scared look 受惊的样子
- silly look 傻乎乎的样子
- by looks 根据相貌
- for the look of the thing 为了装点门面,为了维护面子
- from the look of the sky 根据天气
- in looks 外貌上
- upon the look 在寻找中
- with a look 带…神色
- with a look of great composure 泰然自若的样子
- with a look of relief 带着放松的神态
Mons. Broussard..took a good look at us.出自： A. Loos
The hat she stuck on without giving a look in the glass.出自： V. Woolf
Then she saw me..and if looks could have killed!出自： K. Tennant
'What are you doing with that torch?' 'Just having a look round.'出自： D. Eden
The whole question of mobilisation requires a new look.出自： B. Montgomery
She gives me a couple of long looks.出自： W. Wharton
When we look only with one eye.出自： G. Berkeley
Yes, you may look!出自：Oxford English Dictionary
Though the police looked with care, they had discovered no fingerprints.出自： W. S. Maugham
They'd run over you as soon as look at you.出自： E. O
Resplendently dressed ladies looked significantly at each other.出自： J. C. Powys
Looking grimly into the mirror.出自： C. Isherwood
He looked straight ahead of him.出自： B. Rubens
Go into the study and look at TV.出自： M. Sarton
Roy looked from one man to the other.出自： E. Welty
I liked to look; I noticed everything.出自： V. S. Naipaul
- look还可用作系动词,其后可接(to be+) n./adj. / v -ed/ prep. -phrase或as if引起的从句作表语,意思是“看起来…”。
- look作“留心”“注意”解时,常用于look (to it)结构,其后接that从句充当it的同位语。
- I look forward to,I am looking forward to
- 短语look forward to在句中可用于一般现在时,也可用于一般进行时,前者口气较随便,多用在私人信件中;后者口气较正式,常用在公文中。
- look for, look forward to, anticipate, expect
- expect指“等待某事发生”,常有一定的根据,发生的可能性较大；anticipate含有“预先体味”的意味；look for是日常用词,也可表示“期待”；look forward to指以欢乐或焦急的心情期待某事发生。例如:
- I expect to see some fine films during the holidays.我期望假期能看上几部好电影。
- We anticipate that we shall hear from you again.我们预感到将会再接到你的信。
- I think we may look for a better result next time.我想下次结果可能会好一些。
- I'm looking forward to your visit.我期待着你的来访。
- look, appear, seem
- 1.在含义上, appear 强调外表上给人的某种印象,有时含实质上并非如此的意思; look意味着看上去如此,实际亦是如此; seem 则暗示判断有一定根据,这种判断往往接近事实。例如:
- He appears to be very young.
- He looks to be very young.
- He seems to be very young.
- 2.在用法上,这三个词都可跟形容词或“to be+形容词或名词”结构,也可用于It appears〔appeared〕/looks〔looked〕/seems〔seemed〕 as if...结构。但是, appear 和seem跟to- v 时仍表示“看起来”,而look 接to- v 则是“盼望”的意思。例如:
- He appears〔seems〕 to know it.
- He looks to hear from you.
- 另外, appear 和seem可用于It appears〔appeared〕/seems〔seemed〕 that...结构,而look不能。例如:
- ［误］ It looks to me that he enjoys read- ing the novel.
- ［正］ It appears〔seems〕 to me that he enjoys reading the novel.
- 还有, appear 和seem一般不用于进行体; 而look可用现在进行时,这和一般现在时所表示的意思无多大区别。例如:
- You are looking〔look〕 very unhappy.你看起来很不高兴。
- look, glance
- glance指匆忙地看一眼,也指粗略地、随便看看、暗暗地看; 而look则表示有意识地注意看,将视线集中于某人或某物上,着重于看的动作。例如:
- She felt very nervous with so many people looking at her.这么多人瞧着她,她感到非常紧张。
- I found the child opposite looking at my red hat.我发现对面的孩子在看我的红帽子。
- look, see, watch
- We looked but saw nothing.我们看了,可是什么也没看到。
- They are watching a TV play.他们在看电视剧。
- look for, discover, find, find out, invent
- 这组词(组)都有“发明”“发现”的意思。discover指发现或偶然发现原来就存在但一直未被认识的东西; look for作“寻找”解时,指寻找的动作和过程; find指寻找的结果,即“找到”,是非延续性动词,不如discover正式; find out指经过观察、调查把某事、某物查出来,搞清楚,弄明白,多用于复杂而不易直接查出的情况; invent指发明原来不存在的东西,有时也可指虚构、捏造。例如:
- Whilhelm Roentgen discovered X rays.威尔海尔姆·伦琴发现了X射线。
- He was amazed to find her there.发现她在那里,他很吃惊。
- Let's try and find out what's at the back of this problems.咱们想法弄清问题的背景是怎样的。
- Whatt invented the steam engine.瓦特发明了蒸汽机。
- She ran across some old letters when she was looking for something else.她找别的东西时,偶然翻出几封过去的信。
- He looks an honest man.
- He looks like an honest man.
- He looks to be honest.
- He looks honest.
- The old man looks good.
- The old man looks well.
- Look out of the window!
- Look out at the window!
- look over one's shoulder
- look over sb's shoulder
- look down on
- look down at
- look to the matter
- look into the matter
- look over my hat
- look my hat over
- look upon as an authority
- look up to as an authority
- look, air
- 1.air所表达的表情往往是虚假的; 而look则是真实的。例如：
- The accused spoke about it with an air of secrecy.(是装出来的)
- The accused spoke about it with a look of secrecy.(是真情的流露)
- Judy always gives himself airs.朱迪常摆架子(表示抽象概念)。
- look, appearance, aspect, countenance, face, features, visage
误 I am looking forward to see you.
正 I am looking forward to seeing you.
析 look forward to中的to是介词,不是动词不定式符号。他看上去很高兴。
误 He looks happily.
误 He is looking happy.
正 He looks happy.
误 He is looked handsome.
正 He looks handsome.
误 He looks as a monkey.
正 He looks a monkey.
析 look用作系动词时可跟as if引导的从句,或to be n./adj. 结构, to be有时可省略,但不跟as短语。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的locian；最初源自西日耳曼语的lokjan，意为看，凝视，偷窥。