- vi. 呼吁 make an earnest request
- vt. & vi. (法律)上诉 take a question to a higher court where it can be heard again and a new decision given
- vi. 有吸引力 interest
- vi. 诉诸裁判决定 make an appeal to the umpire or referee
- [C]呼吁,恳求 an earnest request
- [U]感染力,吸引力 being attractive or interesting to sb
- earnest or urgent request;
"an entreaty to stop the fighting"
"an appeal for help"
"an appeal to the public to keep calm"
- attractiveness that interests or pleases or stimulates;
"his smile was part of his appeal to her"
- (law) a legal proceeding in which the appellant resorts to a higher court for the purpose of obtaining a review of a lower court decision and a reversal of the lower court's judgment or the granting of a new trial;
"their appeal was denied in the superior court"
- request for a sum of money;
"an appeal to raise money for starving children"
- take a court case to a higher court for review;
"He was found guilty but appealed immediately"
- request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection;
"appeal to somebody for help"
"Invoke God in times of trouble"
- be attractive to;
"The idea of a vacation appeals to me"
"The beautiful garden attracted many people"
- challenge (a decision);
"She appealed the verdict"
- cite as an authority; resort to;
"He invoked the law that would save him"
"I appealed to the law of 1900"
"She invoked an ancient law"
- Their appeal for help went unheeded.
- He made one last appeal to his father to forgive him.
- His appeal to a higher court was set aside.
- The judge rejected the appeal made by the prisoner for a new trial.
- Jazz hasn't much appeal to me.
- Films of that sort have lost their appeal for children.
- The police appealed to the crowd not to panic.
- The community is appealing to everyone to save water.
- Her sense of humour appealed to him enormously.
- The sinking ship appealed to the rescue team for help.
- We will appeal to a great variety of source of information.
- The captain appealed against the light.
I intend to appeal that judgement.
Five times he appealed the case, always losing.
The defence will appeal the case to the Supreme court.
His appeal for forgiveness went unanswered.
We made an appeal to the villagers for money to build the bridge.
This kind of music hasn't much appeal for me.
Access to the park by ferryboat adds appeal to this excursion.
He lodged an appeal against the decision.
- appeal against〔from〕 (v.+prep.)
提起上诉 ask a higher court of law to reconsider (a judgment made by a lower court) appeal against/from sth
She will appeal against the judge's decision.她要对判决提出上诉。
He appealed against the conviction.他不服定罪而上诉。
He appealed from the judgement.他不服裁决而上诉。用于be ～ed结构
The decision of the Supreme Court shall not be appealed against.最高法院的这一判决为终审判决。
- 提起上诉 ask a higher court of law to reconsider (a judgment made by a lower court) appeal against/from sth
- appeal for (v.+prep.)
呼吁 make a special request for (usually money or behaviour) appeal for sth
He appealed for his parents' forgiveness.他恳求他的双亲宽恕他。
Politicians at all levels appealed for calm.各级政治家们呼吁保持平静。
The drivers whose cars had crashed appealed for help from passing motorists.两车相撞后,两位司机恳请路过的驾驶员给予帮助。appeal for sth to-v
He was appealing for funds to build a new school.他正申请资金建造新学校。
The government is appealing for more money to help people suffering from the flood in the southeast.政府呼吁人们捐赠更多的钱支援受洪灾的东南部地区。
- 呼吁 make a special request for (usually money or behaviour) appeal for sth
- appeal to (v.+prep.)
向…呼吁; 向…请求 ask (sb) strong request for help; look for support in appeal to sb
He earnestly appealed to his friends for support.他恳切地向朋友请求支持。
He appealed to his father.他向他父亲提出请求。
The prisoner appealed to the judge for mercy.囚犯恳求法官宽大处理。
He appealed to his attacker for mercy.他请求攻击他的人发慈悲。appeal to sb to-v
The government is appealing to everyone to save water.政府呼吁人人节约用水。
They appealed to the graduates in the whole department to go to work in the places where conditions are hardest.他们呼吁全系毕业生到条件最艰苦的地方去工作。
At Christmas and New Year, people appeal to us to help the poor.圣诞节和新年,有人呼吁我们捐助穷人。
The invalid appealed to her children to make less noise.病人请求她的孩子们别大声吵嚷。
I appeal to you to vote against him.我想请你投他的反对票。
向…投诉 ask for a reconsidered judgment in (a higher court of law) appeal to sth
She appealed to a higher court.她向上级法院上诉。
诉诸武力 resort to force appeal to sth
The two disputing countries decided not to appeal to arms.这两个有争端的国家决定不诉诸武力。
对…有吸引力 be attracted appeal to sb/sth
This job rather appeals to me.这工作对我有吸引力。
They appeal to her sense of duty.他们唤起了她的责任感。
Does the idea of working abroad appeal to you?你对去国外工作感兴趣吗?
This book appealed to them.这本书引起了他们的兴趣。
Abstract paintings did not appeal to Tom.抽象派绘画不能引起汤姆的兴趣。
Your argument appeals to us.你的论点我们很感兴趣。
Jogging appeals as much to girls as to boys.女孩同男孩一样喜欢慢跑。
- 向…呼吁; 向…请求 ask (sb) strong request for help; look for support in appeal to sb
- appeal earnestly 恳切地请求
- appeal forcibly 强有力地呼吁
- appeal irresistibly 不可抗拒地吸引
- appeal powerfully 强烈地吸引
- appeal profoundly 深深打动
- appeal publicly 公开呼吁
- appeal strongly 极大地触动
- appeal against 不服…而上诉
- appeal against an arbitration 不服仲裁而上诉
- appeal against a decision 不服决定
- appeal against a judgement 不服判决
- appeal for 请求…,呼吁…
- appeal for aid 求援
- appeal for charity 乞求施舍
- appeal for helpers 要一些帮手
- appeal for mercy 乞求怜悯
- appeal for redress 要求赔偿
- appeal from a decision 不服决定
- appeal from a judgement 不服判决
- appeal to 呼吁,合…的意,引起…的兴趣/注意,求助于
- appeal to arms 诉诸武力
- appeal to common sense 借助普通常识
- appeal to force 诉诸武力
- appeal to a higher court 向上一级法院上诉
- appeal to low and vulgar taste 迎合庸俗低级趣味
- appeal to public opinion 激起社会舆论
- appeal to sb for help 请求某人帮助
- appeal to the law 诉诸法律
- address an appeal to 向…呼吁
- broadcast an appeal 广播呼吁
- deny an appeal 驳回上诉
- file an appeal 提出上诉
- lose an appeal 上诉失败
- make an appeal 恳求
- refuse an appeal 拒绝要求
- reject an appeal 驳回上诉
- respond to sb's appeal 响应某人的呼吁
- support an appeal 支持呼吁
- throw out appeal 撤回上诉
- voice an appeal 发出呼吁
- win an appeal 上诉获胜
- eloquent appeal 有说服力的呼吁
- final appeal 最后的呼吁
- last appeal 最后的呼吁
- ringing appeal 有力的呼吁
- strong appeal 强烈要求
- artistic appeal 艺术魅力
- great appeal 巨大的吸引力
- appeal court 上诉法庭
- appeal against 不服…而提出的上诉
- appeal for 呼吁,恳求
- appeal for a new trial 重新审理的请求
- appeal for extra staff 恳求增添职员
- appeal for food 恳求食物
- appeal for help 恳求援助
- appeal for mercy 恳求宽恕
- appeal from 对…上诉
- appeal from a decision 不服判决而上诉
- appeal to 向…的呼吁
- appeal to the public 向公众发出的呼吁
The casting up of the eyes..is a kind of appeal to the Deity.出自：Bacon
There was real appeal in her voice...She was crying.出自：D. Storey
A very moving appeal to all Christians to do all they can to assist in the manufacture of the H-bomb.出自：J. Osborne
The Revising Barrister's..decisions have never been appealed against.出自：G. O. Trevelyan
Thus Lloyd George appealed from the ruling classes to 'the people'.出自：A. J. P. Taylor
appeal作不及物动词时，后面常接to，而appeal to常表示不同意思。例：appeal to the court (向法院上诉)， appeal to history (弓|证历史)， appeal to the public (向大众呼吁)， appeal to patriotism (引起爱国心)， appeal to force (求助于武力)。
I appeal to you to say whether I am not right.
This book appeals to them.
He appealed the case three times.
He is going to appeal against the decision.
在appeal to 后接宾语再加不定式时，要注意不定式所修饰的对象会不同。
The boy appealed to his mother to tell him what to do.
The boy appealed to his mother to know what to do.
第一句的to tell是appealed to的表语，属于his mother，而第二句的to know表示目的，属于the boy。
- appeal的基本意思是强烈的请求他人注意某事或希望他人认真考虑自己的请求,即“呼吁”“恳求”; 也常表示坚持让人听其申诉,由此引申而表示法律上的“上诉”; appeal所表示的申诉有时含有动用感情试图引起有利于自己的反应或裁决之意,由此引申可表示“有感染力”“有吸引力”。此外, appeal还可表示“诉诸”“诉诸裁决或证实”。
- appeal除美式英语中表示“将…上诉”时用作及物动词外,一般用作不及物动词。表示“向…呼吁”“对…有吸引力”“诉诸…”时可接介词to; 表示“呼吁”时可接介词for; 表示“不服…而上诉”则可接介词against或from。
- appeal用作名词的基本意思是“恳求”,指急切地请求给予帮助,用于法律上则指“上诉”; 也可指向裁判员提出请求和抗议; appeal后接to sb表示“恳求的对象”,接for sth表示“恳求的内容”。
- on appeal的意思是“在上诉中”,注意appeal前无冠词。
- ☆ 1300年进入英语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的apeler，意为控告；最初源自拉丁语的appelalre，意为接近，称呼，召唤。
- appealing adj. 吸引人的
- appeal:appeal n. 请求, 呼吁, 上诉, 吸引力, 要求vi. 求助, 诉请, 要求vt. 控诉 英英解释:名词appeal:1. earnest or urgent request同义词：entr…