- [C]机会; 时机 a time when you can do sth
- [C]某事物发生的可能性 a possibility that sth may happen
- [U]碰运气的事; 运气 sth that happens that you cannot control; luck
- vi. 偶然发生 happen by accident or unexpectedly
- vt. 冒险 take a risk
- a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances;
"the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"
"now is your chance"
- an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another;
"bad luck caused his downfall"
"we ran into each other by pure chance"
- a risk involving danger;
"you take a chance when you let her drive"
- a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible;
"the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5"
- the possibility of future success;
"his prospects as a writer are excellent"
- occurring or appearing or singled out by chance;
"seek help from casual passers-by"
"a casual meeting"
"a chance occurrence"
- be the case by chance;
"I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
- take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome;
"When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with;
"We find this idea in Plato"
"I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"
"She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- That would be a daunting task with little chance of success.
- Is there any chance of getting tickets for tonight's performance?
- Please give me a chance to explain.
- I never miss a chance of playing football.
- We may lose a lot of support, but that's a chance we'll have to take.
- I met her quite by chance.
- A chance meeting brought the two old friends together again.
- If it should chance to rain we'll take a taxi home.
- Perhaps you might chance on the dictionary at some old bookstall.
- We were very lucky to chance on him in the reading room.
- We'll have to chance meeting an enemy patrol.
I think you have a splendid chance.
A wise man turns chance into good fortune.
We planned we'd take the chance and visit a bit of your factory.
A good knowledge of English will improve their chances of employment.
I have not any chance of telling him the inner story.
I think I've got a good chance of winning.
I had the chance of visiting Sydney.
The team's victory consolidated its chance for the championship.
Here is an excellent chance for you.
His chances for recovery are favorable.
Give me time; I haven't had a chance to think about it.
Their chance to go abroad was lost.
He gave me no chance to reply.
He got a chance to go to college for further studies.
This is a good chance for me to practise speaking English.
The machine has had no proper chance to do its work.
The man runs the chance of being killed.
He had the chance of being presented to the chairman in the office.
It offers little chance of success.
It's wise to widen your chance of appointment.
They rate the president's chances of living through his crisis are fifty-fifty.
They would have little chance to survive against our might.
He has only one chance in fifty to make it a success.
There's little chance that the situation will improve.
There's a chance that I will see her.
The chances are against snow in May.
The chances are two to one against us.
Let's take the chance and buy these goods.
The boy had been climbing on the rocks with a couple of chance acquaintance.
He was a chance acquaintance, someone I'd met on a train journey.
He chanced to save the man.
I chanced to hear the mumbled conversation in the subway.
If it should chance to rain, we'll take a taxi home.
She chanced to be in.
I chanced to be out when he called me.
Should there chance to be a fire tonight, let's use the fire extinguisher.
It chanced that someone found the lost ring.
It chanced that the winter of that year was severe one.
It chanced that I was out when he called.
I wonder if you can get it, but let's chance our arm.
You shouldn't chance all your money at once.
It may be risky but we will chance it anyhow.
Though it's dangerous I'll chance it.
I'll do it and chance the luck.
Should we chance getting home before it snows?
Father will not chance driving on the icy roads.
We'll have to chance meeting an enemy patrol.
- a fifty-fifty chance
一半的可能性 half possibility
There is still a fifty-fifty chance to win the game. 赢得这场比赛有一半的可能性。
- 一半的可能性 half possibility
- a game of chance
碰运气的游戏 game dependent on luck
Cynics believe that finding a good husband these days is a game of chance. 愤世嫉俗者认为,现在要找到一个好丈夫是一件碰运气的事情。
Your match is only a game of chance. 你的比赛只是凭机会而不是凭本领的游戏。
- 碰运气的游戏 game dependent on luck
- a smart chance of
大量的,很多的 a great deal; a lot
They got a smart chance of fortune. 他们获得大量的财富。
- 大量的,很多的 a great deal; a lot
- an off chance
微小的希望 almost no hope
There is an off chance of finding him at home. 在家找到他的希望不大。
There is an off chance of his winning the chess game. 他赢棋的希望极小。
- 微小的希望 almost no hope
- as chance would have it
凑巧; 碰巧 by coincidence; as it happens
As chance would have it he was going to London as well and was able to give me a lift. 赶巧他也去伦敦,所以能载我一程。
As chance would have it they caught the last bus. 他们凑巧能赶上最后一趟车。
- 凑巧; 碰巧 by coincidence; as it happens
- by any chance
或许; 可能 perhaps; possibly
Would you by any chance have change for 5 pounds? 你能给我兑换5英镑的零钱吗?
If, by any chance he fails to come, we'll ask another one. 万一他没来，我们就叫别人。
Do you have by any chance a pen with you? 你带笔了吗?
- 或许; 可能 perhaps; possibly
- by chance
偶然地,意外地 by accident; accidentally; unintentionally
I met her quite by chance. 我遇见她完全是偶然的。
I heard their talking by chance. 我偶然听到他们的谈话。
- 偶然地,意外地 by accident; accidentally; unintentionally
- by some chance
不知为啥 having no idea for what
By some chance the man left without a word. 不知为啥，这人一言不发离去了。
- 不知为啥 having no idea for what
- cat's〔snowball's〕 chance in hell
毫无机会,机会渺茫 even the remotest chance of all
She hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of persuading her boyfriend to take her to Hawaii for a holiday. 她毫无可能说服其男朋友带她去夏威夷度假。
- 毫无机会,机会渺茫 even the remotest chance of all
- chance in a million
希望渺茫 very remote chance, virtual impossibility
She has only a chance in a million of getting the job. 她能得到那份工作的希望很渺茫。
You might get a seat on the train but it's a chance in a million 你或许能在火车上找到一个座位,但是希望很小。
- 希望渺茫 very remote chance, virtual impossibility
- chance meeting〔encounter〕
偶尔相遇 meeting by chance
I had a chance meeting with your brother today. He seemed glad to see me. 今天我偶然碰见你的兄弟,他看到我似乎很高兴。
It was during a chance encounter with Jeferies at a concert that I first heard of his interest in the project. 就是在一次音乐会上当我与杰弗里斯偶尔相遇时,我才第一次听说他对这项科研项目感兴趣。
- 偶尔相遇 meeting by chance
- chance of a lifetime
一生难得的机会,千载难逢的机会 an exceptional opportunity
Then came an invitation to Martinique, an island in the French Caribbean.It was chance of a lifetime. 然后被邀请到法属加勒比海的马提尼克岛,这真是千载难逢的机会。
It would be foolish to let such an opportunity slip; it's a chance of a lifetime. 坐失这个良机,那真是太傻了,这是一生中难得的机会。
- 一生难得的机会,千载难逢的机会 an exceptional opportunity
- chances are (that...)
很可能发生的情况 the probability is
I shouldn't look forward too much to seeing Grace at the party; chances are that she won't come anyway. 我不该过多地期望能在宴会上见到格雷斯,很可能她根本就不会来。
Chances are he's already heard the news. 可能他已经听到这个消息了。
- 很可能发生的情况 the probability is
- chances are even〔against it〕
胜败各半的机会〔不可能〕 it is equally possible〔unlikely〕
The chances are even that Grace will come to the party. 格雷斯来参加宴会的可能性为百分之五十。
If you're wondering whether Grace will come to the party,I think the chances are against it. 如果你想知道格雷斯是否会来参加宴会,我认为那不太可能。
- 胜败各半的机会〔不可能〕 it is equally possible〔unlikely〕
- fancy one's chances
过分自信会成功 be overconfident that one will succeed
Ann really fancies her chances of promotion to the vacant job of chief supervisor. 安过分自信她会被提升到还空缺的主管人的职位。
- 过分自信会成功 be overconfident that one will succeed
- fighting〔sporting〕 chance
成败均有可能的公平机会 fair〔reasonable〕 chance
I think the Tory's have a fighting chance of winning the next election. 我认为英国托利党要经过艰苦的努力才有可能赢得下届的竞选成功。
Priscilla won't even give me a sporting chance of saying sorry for what I did the other day. 普里西拉甚至不给我机会让我为前几天所做的事情表示歉意。
The examination offers everybody a sporting chance. 考试给每个人提供了一个公平的机会。
- 成败均有可能的公平机会 fair〔reasonable〕 chance
- give a chance
给(某人)一次机会; 讲点道理吧 let sb have another chance give sb a chance
I made a mistake but you should give me a chance.我犯了一次错误,但你应该给我一次机会。
- 给(某人)一次机会; 讲点道理吧 let sb have another chance give sb a chance
- have as much chance as a snowflake in hell
毫无希望 no hope at all
They have as much chance as a snowflake in hell. 他们毫无希望。
- 毫无希望 no hope at all
- leave nothing to chance
把事情做得四平八稳,不留漏洞 make things well organized
They try their best to leave nothing to chance. 他们尽最大努力不留漏洞。
She left nothing to chance and got fully prepared. 她做好充分准备,不留漏洞。
- 把事情做得四平八稳,不留漏洞 make things well organized
- leave things to chance
顺其自然; 听天由命 trust to luck
He likes to leave things to chance. 他喜欢听天由命。
- 顺其自然; 听天由命 trust to luck
- long chance
冒相当大的险; 没有多大把握的事情 take a great risk; be unsure
It's a long chance to build a city in the desert. 在沙漠中建一座城市要冒相当大的险。
- 冒相当大的险; 没有多大把握的事情 take a great risk; be unsure
- (no) earthly chance/fat chance
可能性很小 (not even) the remotest chance
You've no earthly chance of driving from London to Bristol in under an hour. 你根本不可能在一小时内驱车从伦敦到达布里斯托尔。
A higher school team would have a fat chance beating a strong college team. 一个中学队不太可能击败实力强的大学队。
- 可能性很小 (not even) the remotest chance
- on the chance of
怀有…的希望; 期望 in the hope; in view of the possibility
I'll return to the station on the chance of meeting his brother. 我将回到车站，期望遇到他的兄弟。
- 怀有…的希望; 期望 in the hope; in view of the possibility
- on the off chance
万一,对…抱着微小的希望 in case; in the hope
I'm glad I found you at home; I just called round on the off chance that you'd be in. 看到你在家我很高兴,我只是抱着万一的希望来拜访你的。
- 万一,对…抱着微小的希望 in case; in the hope
- run a chance of
To take the job means running a chance of being dismissed. 干这个工作就意味着承担被解雇的风险。
- 冒险 risk
- stand a good/fair chance of
有…的希望 be fairly likely to
Why don't you enter the competition?I think you stand a good chance of winning a prize. 你为什么不参加比赛?我认为你大有获奖的希望。
He stands a fair chance of going abroad. 他大有出国的希望。
Fred doesn't stand a fair chance of being elected. 福瑞德没有获选的可能性。
- 有…的希望 be fairly likely to
- take a chance〔chances〕
冒险 behave riskily
We will take a chance to have the party outdoor. 我们将冒险举行露天聚会。
I won't take a chance on a July holiday in Britain—it always rains. 我不会冒险在7月份去英国度假——那时天老是下雨!
They took a chance on the weather and decided to hold the sports meet next day. 天气虽然不好,但他们还是要碰碰运气,决定在第二天开运动会。
We may take a chance on her being at home. 也许碰巧她在家。
- 冒险 behave riskily
- take no chances〔not take chances〕
不冒险,对…提防一手 not take a risk
You should never take chances when driving a car. 开车时绝对不应冒险。
I didn't know what I had expected of him, and I had taken no chances with him, but now I found that I could relax a little. 起初我摸不清他的底,因此对他一直存有戒心,而我现在可以放心一些了。
You are valuable to the organization, you mustn't take chances. 组织上对你很器重,你不得掉以轻心。
- 不冒险,对…提防一手 not take a risk
- take one's chance
碰运气,听凭命运 take whatever happens to come
Let's go there to take our chances. 咱们去那儿碰碰运气。
The old man was too poor to take care of his son, and had to let him take his chance in society. 这老头儿太穷没法抚养他的儿子,只好让他到社会上去闯了。
Those orphanized children were left to take their chances in the world. 那些失去父母的孤儿只好任其在社会上自生自灭。
- 碰运气,听凭命运 take whatever happens to come
- the main chance
发财的机会; 得意的机会 opportunity of making money
He always has an eye to the main chance, seeing when money can be made. 他总在注意着赚钱的机会。
- 发财的机会; 得意的机会 opportunity of making money
- chance on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
偶然找到,遇到 happen to meet sb or find sth chance on〔upon〕 sb/sth
They chanced on a dying wolf.他们偶然遇到一只奄奄一息的狼。
You might chance on the thing you need in the store.在这个店里你也许能碰到你所需要的东西。
He chanced on the solution to his problem.他偶然找到了解决问题的办法。
On our vacation we chanced upon an interesting antique store.我们度假时无意中发现一家有趣的古玩店。
I was looking for the book I wanted, and chanced upon another with the same title.我正在找我所要的那本书,却碰到同样的一本书。
- 偶然找到,遇到 happen to meet sb or find sth chance on〔upon〕 sb/sth
- advance a chance 促进可能性
- await a chance 等待机会
- blast a chance 毁灭机会
- claim the chance 要求得到这个机会
- diminish a chance 减少…的机会
- dispose of a chance 安排机会
- forfeit a chance 丧失机会
- get a chance 得到机会
- grasp a chance 抓住机会
- have a chance 有机会
- have no chance (of) 没有(…的)可能
- hold out a chance 提供机会
- improve the chance of 利用…的机会
- increase chance 增加机会
- invite chance 招引机会
- lessen chance 减少机会
- let the chance go 放过机会
- lose a chance 失去机会
- miss a chance 错过机会
- muff chance 错过机会
- offer chance 提供机会
- reduce chance 减少机会
- risk a chance 碰运气,冒险
- stand a good chance 很有可能,很有希望
- stand no chance 没有可能,没有希望
- take a chance 冒险,投机
- take one's chance 碰运气,听凭命运
- throw away one's chance 抛弃机会
- try one's chance 试一试运气
- wait for a chance 等待机会
- wreck one's chances 毁掉时机
- give sb a chance 给某人机会
- offer sb a chance 给某人机会
- additional chance 额外的机会
- all chance 一切机会
- amazing chance 惊人的运气
- bare chance 暴露的机会
- better chance 更好的机会
- big chance 大冒险
- blind chance 毫无希望
- brilliant chance 极好的机会
- calculable chance 可靠的机会
- capital chance 绝好的机会
- complicated chance 复杂的偶然性
- convenient chance 方便的机会
- desperate chance 危急的机会
- divine chance 天赐的机会
- earthly chance 无希望
- endless chances 没完没了的机会
- equal chance 同等的机会
- even chance 百分之五十的可能,一半可能
- excellent chance 极好的机会
- fair chance 一次好机会
- fat chance 微小的机会
- fatal chance 重要机会
- fighting chance 经过努力有可能获得成功的机会
- fine chance 极好的机会
- fortuitous chance 偶然的机会
- frustrated chance 无益的机会
- full chance 十足的运气
- glamorous chance 富有迷惑力的运气
- golden chance 绝好的机会
- good chance 好机会,良机
- hazardous chance 冒险的机会
- ill chance 不佳的运气
- impossible chance 不可能的机会
- incorruptible chance 不易败坏的机会
- individualized chance 适应个别需要的机会
- ironical chance 讽刺的机会
- last chance 最后一次机会
- little chance 很小的可能性
- lost chance 失去的机会
- lucky chance 好运
- main chance 绝妙的机会
- matrimonial chance 婚姻的机会
- mere chance 偶然的机会
- miraculous chance 不可思议的机会
- only chance 唯一的机会
- opening chance 开始的运气
- opportune chance 恰逢其时的机会
- outside chance 不大可能的机会
- poor chance 很少有希望
- pure chance 纯粹的偶然机会
- reasonable chance 合理的机会
- remote chance 很少的机会
- repeated chance 重复的机会
- robust chance 机会充分
- scant chance 机会很小
- sheer chance 纯机会
- slender chance 机会渺茫
- slight chance 机会微小
- slim chance 机会很小
- small chance 很小的希望
- smart chance 巧妙的机会
- sporting chance 成败不定的机会
- strange chance 偶然的机会
- timely chance 及时的运气
- undue chance 不适当的机会
- unfair chance 不公正的机会
- unfortunate chance 不幸的运气
- unlimited chance 无限的机会
- unlooked-for chance 意外的机会
- unlucky chance 不幸运
- vote-getting chance 得票机会
- beyond a chance 没有希望的
- by chance 偶然,碰巧
- by any chance 万一,碰巧
- by mere chance 纯属偶然地
- by pure chance 纯属偶然地
- by some chance 不知为何
- off chance 可能性很小
- on the chance of 怀着…希望,也许可能,希望可能
- seize on〔upon〕 a chance 趁机
- brood over chance 盘算机会
- owing to chance 由于机会
- leave things to chance 听天由命
- chance against 胜过…的机会
- chance for… 的机会
- chance for success 成功的机会
- chance of a lifetime 千载难逢的机会
- chance of failure 失败的危险
- chance of success 成功的机会
- chance on〔upon〕 偶然找到,遇到
- chance on a boy 巧遇这男孩
- chance on a car 巧遇小轿车
- chance on a friend 碰巧遇见一位朋友
- chance on a wallet 碰巧见到一个钱包
- chance on a bicycle 巧遇一辆自行车
- chance on books 碰巧见到这些书
- chance on a purse 偶然发现一个皮夹
- chance on the secret 偶然听到这个秘密
- chance upon a beautiful woman 巧遇美人
- chance upon the dictionary 巧遇这种字典
The chance of war Is equal, and the slayer oft is slain.出自：W. C. Bryant
It was pure chance that was now to bring us together.出自：W. Plomer
Him chaunst to meete..A faithlesse Sarazin.出自：Spenser
If it so chance that we be separated, let each make for London Bridge.出自：M. Twain
An occasion chanced to present itself.出自：H. James
They fell silent, wondering what would chance.出自：Tolkien
My mother chanced to be passing.出自：D. Murphy
- It chanced that...结构中的chance可视为系动词。
- 关于“It chanced that...”结构,多数语法学家分析为形式主语结构,即that从句为主语从句,但Quirk等人认为这里的that从句是表语从句, it是无人称主语。一般说形式主语结构中主语从句是可以提前的,但本句却是不可提前的。
- chance, occasion, opportunity
这组词都有“机会”“机遇”“运气”的意思。其区别在于:1.chance常与opportunity互换使用,但occasion常指一般性的机会,而opportunity则多指特殊的机会。2.chance含有侥幸的意味,而opportunity则含有期待的意味。chance常表示可能性,而opportunity则无此义。例如:I had no chance〔opportunity〕 to see him.我没有机会见到他。They had no chance〔opportunity〕 to escape.他们没有逃跑的机会。He has few occasions to speak English.他很少有机会讲英语。I never miss a chance〔an opportunity〕 of playing football.我从不放弃踢足球的机会。Chance plays an important part in many card games.在很多纸牌游戏中,运气起着重要的作用。The chances are ten to one that we will win.我们获胜的可能性是10比1。
- chance, fortune, luck
这三个词的共同意思是“运气”。其区别是：luck是口语用词,可指好的或坏的运气,没有修饰语时,多指好运,往往含有成功或愉快之义;chance侧重偶然的、无法推测的因素;fortune指决定或影响未来的机遇,常含有变幻无常和人力无法改变的意味。例如:We had the luck to get the best seats.我们真幸运,得到了最好的座位。Chance plays an important part in many card games.在许多纸牌游戏中运气起很大作用。What wonderful fortune she was enjoying!她多走运啊!
- chance, come off, take place
这组词(组)的共同意思是“发生”。其区别在于:1.chance含有“偶然”发生的意味; take place和come off常指按计划“发生”。例如:On our vacation we chanced upon an interesting antique store.我们度假时无意中发现一家有趣的古玩店。The sports meet came off in spite of the rain.尽管下雨运动会仍如期举行了。The talk is scheduled to take place tomorrow morning at eight o'clock.预定明早8时举行会谈。2.take place的主语只能是事物; come off强调出现的结果。例如:What may take place with telephones in the future?将来电话会发生什么变化呢?The wedding came off in spite of Jim and Mary's last minute quarrel.尽管吉姆和玛丽结婚前最后一刻还在争吵,婚礼还是正常举行了。3.chance是一个较庄重并带有几分古风的用语。例如:It chanced that the winter of that year was a severe one.碰巧,那年冬天特别寒冷。
- chance, endanger, hazard, imperil, risk, venture
这组词都可表示“有失败或受伤害的可能”。其区别是：venture强调冒险的勇气和获得成功的可能,而不太侧重结果; chance不顾及行动或过程中的冒险成分,而寄希望于幸运; endanger强调面临危险,但本身不侧重冒险; imperil也强调面临危险,但更侧重不可肯定和危险的紧迫性; hazard侧重有失掉的危险,强调不确定,获得好结果的希望不大; risk更强调面对真正的危险。
- chance opportunity occasion
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的cheance，意为偶然事件，色子掷下；最初源自古典拉丁语的cadenetm，意为下落。
- CHANCE:Community Help And Neighbourly Care For Everyone社区照顾每个人的时机和帮助
- CHANCE:Competence-building and Higher Awareness about Networking and Collaboration for EuropeCompetence-building和更高的意识和合作网络
- chance:chance n. 机会, 可能性, 偶然性, 运气v. 碰巧, 偶然发生, 冒...的险adj.偶然的习惯用语a dog's chance 极微小的一点儿机会a fat chance [口]良机 […