- adj. 适宜的；合适的；健康的
- v. 适合；安装
- n. 发作；适宜
- =Failure in Time，及时失效
- vt. & vi. (使)适合 (cause to) be suitable for
- vt. 安装 provide and put correctly into place
- vt. & vi. 试穿 try on for size
- 合适的,适宜的 suitable or suited for sb/sth; well adapted for sb/sth; good enough for sb/sth
- 健康的 in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise
- 恰当的,正当的,得体的 suitable and right, usually according to accepted social standards
- [S]适合的样子,合身 way in which sth, especially a garment, fits
- [C](病)发作,昏厥,痉挛 a sudden attack of epilepsy disease with violent movements and loss of consciousness
- [S]突然爆发 sudden burst of (laughter, activity, etc.)
a display of bad temper;
"he had a fit"
"she threw a tantrum"
"he made a scene"
a sudden uncontrollable attack;
"a paroxysm of giggling"
"a fit of coughing"
"convulsions of laughter"
the manner in which something fits;
"I admired the fit of her coat"
a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason);
"a burst of applause"
"a fit of housecleaning"
meeting adequate standards for a purpose;
"a fit subject for discussion"
"it is fit and proper that you be there"
"water fit to drink"
"fit for duty"
"do as you see fit to"
(usually followed by `to' or `for') on the point of or strongly disposed;
"in no fit state to continue"
"fit to drop"
"laughing fit to burst"
"she was fit to scream"
"primed for a fight"
"we are set to go at any time"
physically and mentally sound or healthy;
"felt relaxed and fit after their holiday"
"keeps fit with diet and exercise"
be agreeable or acceptable to;
"This suits my needs"
be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired;
"This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
satisfy a condition or restriction;
"Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
"fit a dress"
"He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
insert or adjust several objects or people;
"Can you fit the toy into the box?"
"This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics;
"The two stories don't agree in many details"
"The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"
"The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
conform to some shape or size;
"How does this shirt fit?"
provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose;
"The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
make correspond or harmonize;
"Match my sweater"
- I don't see fit to tell you all my plans.
- The soil is fit for cotton planting.
- The room was a fit place for study.
- He could find a fit opportunity to divulge their marriage.
- The manager gave her a blank cheque to reorganize the department in any way she thought fit.
- He is now fit enough to go back to work.
- His endowments are limited, and scarcely fit him for this post.
- A plumber is a person who fits and mends the plumbing.
- Could you fit me up with a new bulb for the headlight of my car ?
- Can you fit it in the door?
- She had a fit of hysterics and called him some bad names.
- A fit of stubbornness came over him and he refused to have anything further to do with them.
- Humidity caused me another fit of rheumatism.
- This dress is a beautiful fit.
- The hat fits perfectly.
- This pair of shoes fit perfectly. I will take this pair.
- If this shirt doesn't fit, may I change it later?
- The door fits badly.
- They don't fit together.
- The broken pieces won't fit.
- Does the coat fit you?
- You ought to have that coat tailored to fit you.
- It's difficult to fit him; he's so fat.
- Therapeutic measures were selected to fit the patient.
- Does this plan fit our present and future needs?
- His speech fitted the occasion well.
- Each of you must find the technique that fits your convenience.
- No program of work will fit every community.
- The sheets are made in several sizes to fit different sizes of bed.
- He will just fit the post.
- As the work is great,I intend to appoint a strong man to fit it.
- The electrician fitted my new cooker.
- I took the wheels off and fitted them again and again, but they still didn't move.
- Each of the tubes has to be fitted inside the other.
- The machines were fitted in position.
- This room has been fitted carpets.
- The authorities fitted the explorers a fleet.
- His great height fitted him to play basketball.
- Through such activity in peace time, we have fitted ourselves to undertake many tasks in case of enemy attack.
- She is not fitted to play the part of Juliet.
- The food was not fitted to eat.
- We must decide at once on a fit time and place for the meeting.
- Only fit applicants need apply.
- She's not a fit person to be in charge of small children.
- I should have attended the lecture yesterday, but I was not fit.
- He runs 3 miles every morning; that's why he's so fit.
- You look very fit.
- I hope you're keeping fit.
- She is fit for the job.
- The old Prime Minister was a wise, honest man who was more fit for his office than anyone else.
- Such a boat is only fit for a calm sea.
- This book is fit for the children.
- He is now well and fit for work.
- We must decide at once on a fit time and place for the meeting.
- The house is fit for human habitation.
- The food is not fit for eating.
- The manager is not fit for his position.
- I don't think she's really fit for the job.
- She's just fit for a job as a secretary.
- The food was not fit to eat.
- The water is not fit to drink.
- She's not fit to be in charge of small children.
- The young man is now fit to ride.
- It is not fit that you should speak to your mother like that.
- It is fit that we give thanks.
- Don't you think the clothes are a nice fit?
- The coat is a bad fit.
- This coat is a beautiful fit.
- I'll try to climb through, but it's a tight fit.
- She suffers from epileptic fits.
- She fell down in a fit.
- I had a blue fit when he walked into the room,I thought he had died years ago.
- The man collapsed on the floor in a fit.
- In the election, he was beaten into fits.
- He beat his opponent into fits in the match.
- He laughed himself into fits.
- She screamed herself into fits.
- She burst into a fit of laughter.
- In a fit of anger he hit his friend.
- He did it in a fit of temper.
- I left him in a fit of indignation.
- In a fit of efficiency he answered all his mail in an hour.
- fit for (v.+prep.)
适于,适合 be suitable for sth
- fit in (v.+adv.)
相处融洽,合得来 behave or feel as if belonging or suiting
I don't think this is the box that this toy came in, it won't fit in.
All of us couldn't fit in there.
那里挤不下我们所有的人。fit sb/sth ⇔ in
There was so much furniture in the sale room that it became impossible to fit any more in.
The room is so small that I don't think we can fit in another bed.
这间房间太小了,我看再要放一张床就放不下了。fit sb/sth ⇔ in
Mr. Sharp is seeing people all morning, but if the matter is urgent,I will see if I can fit you in.
Although I am very busy,I'll try to fit in a game of tennis at the weekend.
I am sure you can fit me in somewhere.
Mary joined a painting group but didn't seem to fit in, so she left.
- fit in with (v.+adv.+prep.)
适合,适应,符合,与…一致 agree with
fit in with sb/sth
His plans to take his vacation early in August fit in with mine.
New members must fit in with the rest of the committee.
His examples fitted in well with his argument.
I will change my timetable to fit in with yours.
My holiday arrangements must fit in with yours.
Your ideas fit in with mine.
你的想法和我的一致。fit sb/sth in with sb/sth
I will try to fit my arrangements in with yours.
- fit into( v.+prep. )
适合,合乎…的时间〔空间〕,与…融为一体 take the right space or time in
fit into sth
If I gain any more weight,I won't be able to fit into my clothes.
I don't think she'll fit into the organization.
He did not fit so easily into the life in America .
The house fits into the scenery so well that you can hardly see it.
这个房子与这儿的风景浑然一体,几乎都看不出来了。fit sth into sth
I cannot fit this toy into the box, are you sure it is the right one?
Any new building must be fitted into the existing appearance of the city.
- fit on1( v.+adv. )
试穿 try clothing to see if it is the right size
- fit on2( v.+prep. )
把…安在…上 place sth exactly on sth
fit sth on sth
I cannot fit the lid on this box.
Father fitted a new tyre on my bike.
Expansion joints of various kinds are fitted on steam pipes.
- fit out( v.+adv. )
以…装备,供给…以必需品 supply with necessary
fit sb/sth ⇔ out
We must fit the expedition out with the best equipment.
We must fit the boy out for school.
The ship has been newly fitted out.
The new machine has been fitted out for a trial.
- fit round( v.+prep. )
为适应而改变… change to suit sth
fit round sb/sth
The baby's hands are too small to fit round the ball.
这个婴儿的手太小,抓不住这个球。fit sb/sth round sb/sth
I don't mind fitting my timetable round yours.
- fit to( v.+prep. )
与…相配,与…相称,相对应 match; suit
fit to sth
See if the frame fits to the door, and if it does, then finish making it.
看一看这门框是否与门吻合,如果吻合,就把它安装好。fit sth to sth
We should fit the punishment to the crime.
See if you can fit any of these odd lids to this set of containers.
Fit the appetite to the task.
We have to fit ourselves to the requirements of our jobs.
We always fit our deeds to our words.
- fit together( v.+adv. )
组成一个整体 form a whole or unity
fit sth ⇔ together
The ship-wrecked sailors were able to fit a rough shelter together from building materials that they found on the island.
These broken pieces of plates don't fit together, they must be parts of different ones.
The movements of this piece of music somehow don't fit together.
- fit up( v.+adv. )
给(某人)硬套罪名 make sb seem guilty of a crime when in fact he is not
fit sth ⇔ up
There's room at the end of the garage to fit up a workbench.
It costs a lot of money to fit up a new office.
The royal train was fitted up with costly furniture.
The hotel has been fitted up with modern comforts and conveniences.
这家旅馆配备有各种现代设备。fit sth ⇔ up
Please fit the machine up for this afternoon's class.
New blackboards have been fitted up in all the classrooms.
教室里都安装上了新黑板。fit sth ⇔ up
Please stay here, we can fit up a bed for the night.
请住在这儿吧,我们可以搭一张床过夜。fit sb ⇔ up
I will fit you up with a bed at my house.
Your uncle should be able to fit you up with a job in his firm.
你叔叔应该能够替你在他的公司里找到一份工作。fit sb ⇔ up
I didn't take the jewels, the police have fitted me up.
- fit with( v.+prep. )
给…装配… supply with sth
fit sb/sth with sth
I must ask the dentist to fit me with some new teeth.
Each drawer was fitted with a lock.
Each office is fitted with bookshelves.
- as fit as a fiddle
非常健康的,感觉良好 in very good physical condition
- fit to burst
几乎要爆炸 as if about to explode
- fit to drop
几乎要瘫在地上的 (as if) about to fall on the ground, especially because of extreme tiredness
- see〔think〕 fit
认为干…是合适的 consider it correct, convenient or acceptable (to do sth); decide or choose
Do as you think fit.
你认为怎么做好就怎么做吧。see〔think〕 fit to-v
In his mercy,Allah had seen fit to spare him once again.
The newspaper did not see fit to publish my letter.
She thought fit to buy two expensive hats at a time.
- fit and start
一阵一阵地 in irregular bursts of activity over a period of time
- have a fit
大吃一惊,大发脾气 suffer a fit
- fit a lock 装锁
- fit facts 符合事实
- fit fog lights 安装在雾中使用的灯
- fit new seat covers 安装新椅套
- fit the conditions 适合情况
- fit all right 完全合适
- fit best 最适于
- fit well 好关
- fit badly 关不上
- fit closely 完全适合
- fit eminently 非常符合
- fit exactly 完全地吻合
- fit ideally 完美地结合
- fit neatly 绝对地符合
- fit nicely 十分贴切
- fit perfectly 完美地结合
- fit physically 自然地符合
- fit plainly 简陋地装备
- fit successfully 成功地结合
- fit temperamentally 不稳定地结合
- fit uniquely 独一无二地结合
- fit in 适合
- fit in with 适合,符合
- fit on 试穿(衣服),安上,安装,盖上
- fit out 供应,装备,配备
- fit throughout 全部地符合
- fit together 配得上,配得起来,契合在一起
- fit up 供应,装备,配备
- fit for 使…适应,使…胜任
- fit oneself for 做好…准备
- fit into 使…任命于,使…适合于
- fit round 调整得一致
- fit to 把…装到…上,使一致,使适应
- fit with 用…装备,给…配备,向…供应
- fit enough 足够
- fit for 适合于
- food fit for a dog 适合狗吃的食
- fit for the standard 合乎标准
- fit to be tied 极为愤怒的,气冲冲的
- fit to burst 笑破肚子
- fit to drop 简直要倒下
- give sb fits 使人大吃一惊,使人极端愤怒
- have〔throw〕 a fit 大发脾气,大为震惊
- have a fit of blues〔a blue〕 fit 情绪低落,无精打采,郁郁不乐
- apoplectic fit 中风
- bad fit 不合身
- beautiful〔excellent〕 fit 合身极了
- blue fit 大惊失色,震惊
- comfortable fit 舒适
- easy〔exact〕 fit 很〔正〕合身
- fainting fit 昏厥
- good fit 合身
- perfect fit 完全合身
- special fit 特制接头
- curve fit 曲线拟合,实验曲线的符合
- by〔in〕 fits and starts 一阵一阵地,间歇地
- in a fit (of) 突发地
- beat〔knock〕 sb into fits 把某人打得落花流水,轻易地打败某人
- burst into a fit of laughter 哈哈大笑起来
This noble king..The firste night had many a mery fitte With eche of hem.出自： Chaucer
The..words meshed with each other like oiled millstones ground to a fine fit.出自： J. Kosinski
Black men..are noticeable for the..superb fit of their clothes.出自： A. Lurie
You must have a hollow key with a worm fit to that screw.出自： J. Harington
This Boldness does not fit a Stranger.出自： N. Rowe
What the contents of Middleton's letter were it fitted me not to inquire.出自： H. Siddons
How have mine eyes out of their spheres been fitted In the distraction of this madding fever!出自：Sonnets , Shakespeare
- fit用作形容词时,其基本含义是“合适的”“适宜的”,指物时表示该物适用于所考虑的用途或要做的工作; 指人时表示能力或所需的资格; 还可表示在身体、情绪、条件等方面准备就绪。fit作“健康的”“身体好的”解时,指因经常锻炼而身体“健康”。fit引申还可表示“恰当的”“正当的”“得体的”。fit指能力时,表示学得的能力,含有被动的意味。
- fit具有主观评价意义,可作表语或定语,作表语时,其后常跟动词不定式或“for+ n./pron. / v- ing”。当fit的主语是人时, be fit to do具有主动意义; 当fit的主语是物时,具有被动意义。
- fit作名词时,意思是“适合,合身,贴身(的衣服)”,常用单数,经常用于“a＋ adj. ＋fit”的句型,通常置于形容词之后。
These shoes don't fit me.
Tuesday would suit me very well for a meeting.
She cried fit to break her heart.
- think fit to ...表示“认为可行，但事实上的确也是”，绝对不能用来表示“认为可行，但事实上不是”；
The authorities fitted the explorer a fleet.
- fit, adapt
- The chameleon adapts to its surroundings by changing color.变色蜥蜴用变色来适应环境。
- This dress doesn't fit me any more.这件衣服再也不合我的身了。
- 3.adapt的对象由介词for或to引出; fit的对象由for引出。例如:
- The novel has been adapted for the stage.这本小说已改编成剧本。
- He quickly adapted to the climate in the high mountains.他很快就适应了高山气候。
- Her experience and abilities fit her admirably for the job.凭她的经验和才能她非常适合胜任这项工作。
- fit, suit
- 1.fit在用于衣着、鞋帽等场合下的“适合”时,指的是大小、形状、宽松方面; 而suit则着重指颜色、款式、色调方面的合适。例如:
- That colour doesn't suit her.
- The suit fitted her nicely.
- I love you in that dress, it really suits you.我很喜欢你穿的这件衣服,它使你看上去很有吸引力。
- fit, adjust, match
- fit是一般用语,意味很广,指适合条件、环境、目的、要求等,用于衣服、帽子等时,指它们的形状或大小适合身体; match多指“大小、色调、形状、性质等方面的搭配”; adjust指“(作些)调整使完全符合或适应”,一般与具体事物连用,有时也用反身代词作宾语。例如:
- Try the new key and see if it fits.试试新配的钥匙,看看是否合适。
- We should get some new curtains to match the carpet.我们应该买些新窗帘来配这条地毯。
- She adjusted the lamp so that the light fell directly on her book.她把灯移动了一下,使灯光正好照在书上。
- fit, appropriate, proper, suitable
- 1.proper强调经过判断觉得是适宜的、合理的; fit指适合某种目的、用途、条件、要求或某人有能力胜任某种工作或职务等; suitable强调适合某种环境、情况或某种特殊需要; appropriate除指某一事物符合一定的目的外,也可指人、物品、特征、地方、时间等被社会公认为正确。例如:
- Thick woollen clothes are not appropriate for a hot summer day.厚的毛衣不适于夏天穿。
- They will visit the country again at a proper time.他们将在适当的时候再度访问这个国家。
- These clothes are suitable for a weekend.这些衣服适宜于周末穿。
- That man is not fit for the position.那个人不适合那一位置。
- 2.proper是较正式的用法; fit是最普通用法。
- fit, apt
- fit表示学得的能力适合,可指某人对于某项工作是合格的、能胜任的,还可指做某事是适当的; apt表示自然的或天生的倾向，含有主动的意味。例如:
- He is physically fit to be an airman.他体格健康,适合当飞行员。
- The ground is apt for the plow.这块地适于耕作。
- fit, healthy, well
- He stays so fit because he often goes to keep-fit classes.他之所以能保持健康是因为他经常去上健身课。
- I think I'll go to bed. I don't feel well at all.我要睡觉去了,我感到很不舒服。
- He wasn't fit.
- He didn't fit.
- give sb a fit 使某人大吃一惊
- give sb fits 轻易击败某人
误 I'm not fitted by my shoes.
正 My shoes don't fit me.
误 The dress fitted for her nicely.
正 The dress fitted her nicely.
误 The tune is exactly fitting the words.
正 The tune exactly fitts the words.
误 The dictionary is fit to our use.
正 The dictionary is fit for our use.
误 The food is not fit to be eaten.
正 The food is not fit to eat.
析 be fit to do表示“适合〔适宜〕做…”,习惯上用不定式的主动形式,而不用被动形式。国家正在打仗时你不应该享乐。
误 It is not fit that you made merry while the country is fighting a war.
正 It is not fit that you should make merry while the country is fighting a war.
析 It is (not) fit that-clause表示“…是(不)适合的”,从句中要用“should+动词原形”的结构。
- ☆ 1540年进入英语，直接源自古英语的fitt，意为冲突。
- suit adj.
- well n.