- 好的,优质的,符合标准的,令人满意的 of high quality; of an acceptable standard; satisfactory
- [P]善于使用某物、处事、待人或用人 capable when using, dealing with, etc. sth/sb
- 乐于助人的,好心的,仁慈的 willing to help others; kind
- [A]无病的,健康的,强健的 not diseased; healthy; strong
- 合适的,恰当的 right or suitable
- [A]彻底的,着实的,完全的 thorough; complete; sound
- 有偿还〔借款〕能力的 such that he will be able to repay (a sum lent)
- (用以表示愉快或满意的) a word that you use when you are pleased
- [U]有道德的事,善 that which is morally right or acceptable
- [C]好处,利益 that which gives benefit, profit, advantage, etc.
"for your own good"
"what's the good of worrying?"
- moral excellence or admirableness;
"there is much good to be found in people"
- that which is pleasing or valuable or useful;
"weigh the good against the bad"
"among the highest goods of all are happiness and self-realization"
- articles of commerce
- having desirable or positive qualities especially those suitable for a thing specified;
"good news from the hospital"
"a good report card"
"when she was good she was very very good"
"a good knife is one good for cutting"
"this stump will make a good picnic table"
"a good check"
"a good joke"
"a good exterior paint"
"a good secretary"
"a good dress for the office"
- having the normally expected amount;
"gives full measure"
"gives good measure"
"a good mile from here"
- morally admirable
- deserving of esteem and respect;
"all respectable companies give guarantees"
"ruined the family's good name"
- promoting or enhancing well-being;
"an arms limitation agreement beneficial to all countries"
"the beneficial effects of a temperate climate"
"the experience was good for her"
- agreeable or pleasing;
"we all had a good time"
- of moral excellence;
"a genuinely good person"
"a just cause"
"an upright and respectable man"
- having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude;
"adept in handicrafts"
"an adept juggler"
"an expert job"
"a good mechanic"
"a practiced marksman"
"a proficient engineer"
"a lesser-known but no less skillful composer"
"the effect was achieved by skillful retouching"
"had a good workout"
"gave the house a good cleaning"
- with or in a close or intimate relationship;
"a good friend"
"my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
- financially sound;
"a good investment"
"a secure investment"
- most suitable or right for a particular purpose;
"a good time to plant tomatoes"
"the right time to act"
"the time is ripe for great sociological changes"
- resulting favorably;
"it's a good thing that I wasn't there"
"it is good that you stayed"
"it is well that no one saw you"
"all's well that ends well"
- exerting force or influence;
"the law is effective immediately"
"a warranty good for two years"
"the law is already in effect (or in force)"
- capable of pleasing;
- appealing to the mind;
"a serious book"
- in excellent physical condition;
"I still have one good leg"
"a sound mind in a sound body"
- tending to promote physical well-being; beneficial to health;
"beneficial effects of a balanced diet"
"a good night's sleep"
"the salutary influence of pure air"
- not forged;
"a good dollar bill"
- not left to spoil;
"the meat is still good"
- generally admired;
- (often used as a combining form) in a good or proper or satisfactory manner or to a high standard (`good' is a nonstandard dialectal variant for `well');
"the children behaved well"
"a task well done"
"the party went well"
"he slept well"
"a well-argued thesis"
"a well-seasoned dish"
"a well-planned party"
"the baby can walk pretty good"
- completely and absolutely (`good' is sometimes used informally for `thoroughly');
"he was soundly defeated"
"we beat him good"
- A good video camera will cost you a lot of money.
- My one good suit is at the cleaner's.
- Complaining won't do you any good.
- Good is rewarded with evil.
She had a good opinion of him.
We had a very good time last night.
A good student of science can't be an unobservant person.
The car has very good brakes.
A good hunting dog is alert to every sound and movement around.
Do you know of a really good hotel in this city?
Have you heard the good news about my award?
He is envious of my good fortune.
Her name is fragrant with good deeds.
My good wife,I bless you!
My good man, why should I help you?
He is a good friend of mine.
You were a good girl to help in the shop.
Fresh air is fundamental to good health.
The firm has had good times and bad times.
What good weather we're having!
Treatment with medicinal herb is attended with good results.
All traitorous persons and cliques came to no good end.
We had a good laugh at that.
I gave him a good scolding.
We had a good swim in the Yangtse River.
Last year was a good year.
It took me a good three weeks to do it.
He had to buy a good many things.
A good many people were present at the rally.
There I got to know a good many of the students.
His English is not so good.
Exercise is good for the health.
Milk is good for children.
His credit is good for 500 pounds.
The healthful air at the seaside is good for you.
She has always been very good to me.
A car's not much good to me,I can't drive.
Beef is good to the taste.
He is good at arithmetic.
Pork doesn't keep good in summer if you haven't got a refrigerator.
He's very good with children.
Is the light good enough to take photographs?
Would you be good enough to carry this for me?
It's good to be home again.
It was good for him to help me.
It's good of you to help me.
Through the good and bad, we'd get along .
He thought that aim of philosophy was to discover the good, the beautiful, and the true.
Is religion always a force for good?
I'm giving you this advice for your own good.
Do social workers do a lot of good?
What's the good in going to parties?
What good is it asking her?
It's no good talking to him.
Was his advice ever any good?
This gadget isn't much good.
- a good few
相当多(的),几个 a considerable number (of); several
There are still a good few empty seats. 还有好几个空位子。
- 相当多(的),几个 a considerable number (of); several
- as good as
几乎,实际上 almost, practically
He as good as said I'm a liar. 他无异于说我撒谎。
The matter is as good as settled. 这事等于解决了。
I bought a secondhand chair which is as good as new. 我买了一把二手货椅子,它如同新的一样。
She claimed that he as good as promised to marry her. 她声称他差不多已答应娶她了。
You may trust him, he is as good as his word. 你可以相信他,他说话算数。
The old machine is well maintained and looks as good as new. 这台旧机器保养得很好,看上去像新的一样。
- 几乎,实际上 almost, practically
- good and ...
〈美口〉完全,彻底 completely good and+adj.
I won't go until I'm good and ready.我完全准备好了才去。
She made me good and mad.她使我如痴如醉。
She was good and angry.她非常生气。
I was good and tired.我很累。
He knew good and well that she had stolen his watch.他清楚地知道她曾偷了他的表。
The melon was good and sweet.这瓜很甜。
- 〈美口〉完全,彻底 completely good and+adj.
- good for sb
某人干得好(用以祝贺某人) doing well (used when congratulating sb)
She passed the exam?Good for her! 她考试及格了?真行!
You mean you've arranged for a car to pick me up at 2 this afternoon?Good for you! 你的意思是说,你已安排了汽车下午两点来接我,是吗?你真好!
Dare you pick fault with cousin Linda? if so, good for you. 你敢去找林达表姐的岔子吗?如果你敢,那算你真行。
- 某人干得好(用以祝贺某人) doing well (used when congratulating sb)
- do good
有用的 useful do good
This cough medicine tastes nice but it doesn't do much good.这咳嗽药不难吃,但作用不大。
有益于某人 benefit sb do sb good
Eat more fruit, it will do you good.多吃水果,对你有好处。
Much good may it do you.但愿对你大有好处。do good to sb
You should do good to others.你应该对别人行善。
- 有用的 useful do good
- for good (and all)
永久,永远,决定性地 permanently; finally
Louise is determined to stop smoking for good and all. 路易斯决定永远不抽烟了。
We thought she'd come for a visit, but it seems she's staying for good. 我们本以为她只是来看一下就走,可是看起来她似乎要在这里一直呆下去。
- 永久,永远,决定性地 permanently; finally
- to the good
(用以记述某人的财务状况)盈余 (used to describe sb's financial state) in credit
We are 500 pounds to the good. 我们盈余500英镑。
We may have ordered too many bricks, but that's all to the good, we can use any that are over to build a garden wall. 我们订购的砖头可能太多了,不过那完全有好处,我们可以用多余的来建造花园的围墙。
- (用以记述某人的财务状况)盈余 (used to describe sb's financial state) in credit
- up to no good
做坏事,淘气,恶作剧 doing sth wrong, mischievous, etc.
Those children are very quiet,I bet they're up to no good. 那些孩子一声不响,我敢打赌他们想捉弄人。
- 做坏事,淘气,恶作剧 doing sth wrong, mischievous, etc.
- good beating 痛打
- good distance 相当远的距离
- good journey 一路平安
- good old days 美好的往日
- good six feet 足足六英尺
- good works 慈善事业
- good as 和…几乎一样,实际上等于,差不多,非常
- good at 擅长…的
- good at catching rats 善于捕鼠
- good at French 精通法文
- good for 对…有用,有效,宜于,适用,胜任
- good for nothing 一无所长
- good in 擅长…的
- good to 对…厚道,对…很好,有效到…程度
- good to one's children 对孩子和蔼
- good to the poor 对穷人慈善
- good to the taste 味道好
- good with 在…方面有本事的
- do good 做好事
- common good 共同的利益
If he had employ'd Those excellent gifts..Vnto the good, not ruin, of the State.出自：Jonson
What is the good of Greatness but the Power.出自：N. Rowe
A prayer-meeting..has become a power for good in the College.出自：W. S. Tyler
No good..building docks unless there were ships to load in them.出自：W. S. Jevons
One half of us slept on shore by a good fire.出自：W. Bligh
A good history of our foreign policy would be very useful.出自：M. Pattison
I..shot him the third time, which killed him good.出自：D. Crockett
My mother could never cook this good.出自：J. P. Donleavy
- good惯用于词组the good ship和the good town of中，一般不表示特别含义；
good to表示“和善”，而good for表示“有益于”。
He is good to her.
- 表示“做某事没有用，无效”时，可用句式it is no good doing something来表达。
He is not good at the game.
He is no good at the game.
Somebody is not very good at something.
There is no good in doing something.
Somebody is not much good at something.
There is not much good in doing something.
It is most good of you to come.
He looks more good than you.
He looks better than you.
区别for good和for ever：两者都指“永远”，但for good表一次动作带来的永久性结果。
Philip left the country for good.
I shall love my work for good.
该句的表示是错误的，应改for good为for ever。
可以省略good morning中的good，但不可省略good afternoon, good evening和good night中的good；as good as是状语短语，表示“几乎”的意思。
He as good as said so.
- good and+形容词,在美国口语中常用来加强语气,表示“很”,等于very。
- It's good of sb 和It's good for sb 都可接to do sth,但含义不同。前者重在“人”很好,后者重在“事”很好。
- the good常可表示一类人或事。
- a good many〔number〕的意思是“好些”“许多”,跟可数名词连用。
- a good可表示“足足”“至少”。
- good修饰名词时常有两种含义,如a good writer可指人品好,也可指文笔好; a good soldier可指人品好,也可指善战。
- good表示“有道德的事,善”时,是不可数名词; 表示“好处,利益”时是可数名词。
- be good for sb, be good to sb
1.be good for sb 表示“有益于某人”, be good to sb 表示“待某人好”。2.be good for还可接sth/to- v ,而be good to不可。
- good at, good to, good with
这三个短语都常用于系动词后作表语,其区别是：1.good at的意思是“善于,擅长”; good with的意思是“善用(某物)”“善待(某人)”; good to的意思是“对…慈爱友善”“对…有益”。2.good at后主要接表示科目、活动的名词或动名词, good with后主要接表示工具、人体器官、人的名词; good to后主要接表示人或人格化的名词。3.good at的反义词是bad at。good at中的at可换成in; good to作“对…有益”解时介词to可换成for。
- good, fine, nice, well
这组词都有“好”的意思。其区别在于:good意为“好”,常用词,含义很广,一般用作定语和表语; fine主要指质量、特点、能力方面的“好”,语气比good强,也可指健康状况,相当于well; nice指某人或某物能取悦他人的感官,使人感到喜悦,感到舒适; well主要指人的健康状况好,只用作表语,有时也可指情况状态正常,良好。例如:He is a man of good family.他是一个家世很好的人。He is living in a fine house.他住在一幢华丽的房子里。We had a very nice trip to the Jiangnan Park yesterday.昨天我们去江南公园畅游了一番。
- good, goodly, well
这组形容词的共同意思是“好的”。其区别是：1.good可指人或物的“好”,使用广泛; well专指人身体“健康的”,也指“良好的”“幸运的”; goodly指某物是“质量好的”“极好的”,也可指某人或某物是“好看的”“漂亮的”。例如:I am very well, thank you.谢谢你,我身体很好。So far as I know, things are well with them now.据我所知,现在他们事事顺利。A beautiful car is a goodly gift.一辆漂亮的小车是上等礼品。The table spread with food made a goodly sign.摆满了食物的桌子显得非常美观。John is a goodly youth.约翰是一个漂亮的青年。2.good可作表语,也可作定语; well只能作表语。
- She looks good.
- She looks well.
- good for, for good
这两个短语构成相同,词序不同。其区别是：1.good for中的good是形容词,也可作为名词; for good中的good是名词。2.good for的意思是“对…有用〔益〕”; 而for good的意思是“永远”“永久”“为…利益”。3.good for作形容词性短语时,在句中作表语或后置定语; 而for good是副词性短语,在句中作状语。4.good for作“价值为…”解时后接表示币值的名词,仅用于口语中,而for good无此意。
- good, goods
误 They asked me a good deal of questions.
正 They asked me a good many questions.
析 a good deal (of)应和不可数名词连用,修饰可数名词用a good many。
误 Drink it down.It will do good for you.
正 Drink it down.It will do good to you.
正 Drink it down.It will do you good.
析 “(对某人)有好处”可以说do sb good。如果间接宾语sb 后移,则应该加介词to而不用for。
错句：it is no good to blame him.
纠正：it is no good blaming him.
分析：表示“做某事没有用，无效”时，可用句式it is no good doing something来表达，而非不定式。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ogd，意为有权，或者好质量。
- adj.(形容词) able acceptable accomplished admirable agreeable beneficial cheerful clear considerate convenient correct dependable dutiful efficient enjoyable fair friendly full gracious great healthy large long loyal nice noble precious super
- n.(名词) advantage benefit excellence goodness interest merit morality profit right use usefulness virtue weal worth