- adj. 更好的；较好的
- adv. 更好地
- v. 使更好；改善
- n. 更好者；更优者；下赌注者
- 较好的,更好的; 更准确的,更合适的 of a more excellent or desirable kind; of a more precise or suitable kind
- 渐愈或痊愈的 partly or fully recovered from (usually an illness)
- 更好地 in more excellent manner
- 更,较大程度地 more; to a greater degree
- [S]更好者; 较优越者 sth which is better
- [P]前辈; 长者; 上级 elder or wiser; more experienced people; higher authorities
- vt. 胜过,超越 do better than; surpass
- vt. & vi. 改善; 提高 improve
something superior in quality or condition or effect;
"a change for the better"
someone who bets
a superior person having claim to precedence;
"the common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
the superior one of two alternatives;
"chose the better of the two"
(comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability; more highly skilled than another;
"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"
"a better coat"
"a better type of car"
"a suit with a better fit"
"a better chance of success"
"produced a better mousetrap"
"she's better in math than in history"
(comparative of `good') changed for the better in health or fitness;
"her health is better now"
"I feel better"
(comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable;
"it would be better to speak to him"
"the White House thought it best not to respond"
more than half;
"argued for the better part of an hour"
comparative of `well'; in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.;
"She had never sung better"
"a deed better left undone"
"better suited to the job"
from a position of superiority or authority;
"father knows best"
"I know better."
surpass in excellence;
"She bettered her own record"
"break a record"
to make better;
"The editor improved the manuscript with his changes"
"The weather improved toward evening"
- Her father transferred her to a better school.
- The union struck for better work conditions.
- You must pay extra for a better seat.
- You would write better if you had a good pen.
- You'll like it better when you understand it more.
- His solution of his debt enabled him to better his daily life.
- He had tried hard to better his status, but failed.
- We had hoped for better.
- He is a better man than his father.
- Having talked to the witness I now have a better idea of what happened.
- Subsequent research has produced even better results.
- He has better mental powers than I.
- He resolved to lead a better life in the future.
- He was thought to have a better right to the throne than his brother.
- This is good but that is better.
- The situation there will become still better as time goes by.
- She's a little better.
- I'm much better than I was.
- Don't take it so hard, you'll feel better tomorrow.
- He is no better yet.
- She is better at tennis than at baseball.
- I was better at mathematics than other subjects.
- Direct light is better for reading than diffuse light.
- This new medicine is better for a cold.
- It's better staying here.
- It's better to stay here.
- It's better for you to stay here.
- It might be better for you to see a doctor.
- It's better that you (should) stay here.
- It's better that she should go alone.
- It will be better that we meet some other time.
- It would be better if you sent me the book.
- It would be better if he had not come.
- She sings better than I.
- I know better than to do such a foolish thing.
- You can tell him now, remember better late than never.
- This coat fits you better.
- I like instrument better than vocal music.
- She is now better able to cope with her task than before.
- The better I know him the more I admire his abilities.
- That's a fine horse; I couldn't get a better in a hurry.
- Which is the better of these two bikes?
- Take the better of the two roads.
- You're my elders and betters.I was obliged to come when you sent for me.
- Things have bettered since yesterday.
- Living conditions have bettered a great deal.
- The two countries are bettering relations between them.
- This achievement cannot be bettered.
- better than
比…更好 be finer than
- be better off
比较富裕; 较舒服 be richer; be more comfortable
- had better
最好would find it wiser to (do)
- for better or for worse
不管是好是坏,不管结果如何 whether the result is good or bad
- get the better of
占上风,胜过… get the upper hand; win an advantage; prevail
- so much the better
甚至更好 that is even better
The grey mare is the better horse here.出自： G. B. Shaw
Andrew would be a better man than he had been.出自： V. Woolf
Better planes, better explosives, better guns and gasessevery improvement increases the sum of fear and hatred.出自： Aldous Huxley
She left to better herself, and obtained the situation of nurse.出自： F. Marryat
Their speech and dress were bettered while she kept them in her charge.出自： W. C. Williams
I lack the will-power to do anything with my life, to better my position by hard work.出自： L. Durrell
- better作“较好的,更好的”解时是good的比较级,可用far, much但不可用more, very修饰。但在作“渐愈或痊愈的”解时不用于比较结构,也不可用much修饰。
- better用作副词的基本意思是“更好地”,既可修饰动态动词,也可修饰静态动词。作“更,更大程度地”解时,与more同义,常与love, like, know, understand等表示心理感情的静态动词连用。
- better常用于be better off短语中,意思是“比较富裕,较舒服”,其后可接名词或动名词。better还常用在the better..., the more...结构中,意思是“越…就越…”。
- better一般只用于单数形式,其前可加冠词; 作“前辈”“上级”解时常用于习语elders and betters中。
I am better today, but not well yet.
You had better go at once.
had better have结构的例句:
I think/thought I had better have gone already.
- Better go at once属于美国口语，同You had better go at once有相同意思。Better to go at once也是口语，同It is better to go at once有相同意思；
- You'd better go at once.句中的You'd可作You had，也可作You would，前者比较普遍些；
- no better than, not better than, not any better than
- 这三个短语都可用于两者之间的比较,但含义各不相同。no better往往表示“两者都一样(不好)”; not better一般按字面意思来翻译,即“不比…好”; not any better则表示前者还不如后者,即“一点也不比…好”。试比较以下几个句子:
- He is no better than an idiot.
- I'm not better than you in this respect.
- I think she is not any better than me in this respect.
- better, improve
- 1.在提高的速度和水平上, improve比better更快更高。
- He has bettered himself in living condition.他的生活条件已大有改善。
- I wish to improve myself in drawing.但愿我在绘画方面有所长进。
误 I'm completely better now.
正 I'm completely well now.