- 较好的,更好的; 更准确的,更合适的 of a more excellent or desirable kind; of a more precise or suitable kind
- 渐愈或痊愈的 partly or fully recovered from (usually an illness)
- 更好地 in more excellent manner
- 更,较大程度地 more; to a greater degree
- [S]更好者; 较优越者 sth which is better
- [P]前辈; 长者; 上级 elder or wiser; more experienced people; higher authorities
- vt. 胜过,超越 do better than; surpass
- vt. & vi. 改善; 提高 improve
- something superior in quality or condition or effect;
"a change for the better"
- someone who bets
- a superior person having claim to precedence;
"the common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
- the superior one of two alternatives;
"chose the better of the two"
- (comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability; more highly skilled than another;
"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"
"a better coat"
"a better type of car"
"a suit with a better fit"
"a better chance of success"
"produced a better mousetrap"
"she's better in math than in history"
- (comparative of `good') changed for the better in health or fitness;
"her health is better now"
"I feel better"
- (comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable;
"it would be better to speak to him"
"the White House thought it best not to respond"
- more than half;
"argued for the better part of an hour"
- comparative of `well'; in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.;
"She had never sung better"
"a deed better left undone"
"better suited to the job"
- from a position of superiority or authority;
"father knows best"
"I know better."
- surpass in excellence;
"She bettered her own record"
"break a record"
- to make better;
"The editor improved the manuscript with his changes"
- get better;
"The weather improved toward evening"
- Her father transferred her to a better school.
- The union struck for better work conditions.
- You must pay extra for a better seat.
- You would write better if you had a good pen.
- You'll like it better when you understand it more.
- His solution of his debt enabled him to better his daily life.
- He had tried hard to better his status, but failed.
- We had hoped for better.
He is a better man than his father.
Having talked to the witness I now have a better idea of what happened.
Subsequent research has produced even better results.
He has better mental powers than I.
He resolved to lead a better life in the future.
He was thought to have a better right to the throne than his brother.
This is good but that is better.
The situation there will become still better as time goes by.
She's a little better.
I'm much better than I was.
Don't take it so hard, you'll feel better tomorrow.
He is no better yet.
She is better at tennis than at baseball.
I was better at mathematics than other subjects.
Direct light is better for reading than diffuse light.
This new medicine is better for a cold.
It's better staying here.
It's better to stay here.
It's better for you to stay here.
It might be better for you to see a doctor.
It's better that you (should) stay here.
It's better that she should go alone.
It will be better that we meet some other time.
It would be better if you sent me the book.
It would be better if he had not come.
She sings better than I.
I know better than to do such a foolish thing.
You can tell him now, remember better late than never.
This coat fits you better.
I like instrument better than vocal music.
She is now better able to cope with her task than before.
The better I know him the more I admire his abilities.
That's a fine horse; I couldn't get a better in a hurry.
Which is the better of these two bikes?
Take the better of the two roads.
You're my elders and betters.I was obliged to come when you sent for me.
Things have bettered since yesterday.
Living conditions have bettered a great deal.
The two countries are bettering relations between them.
This achievement cannot be bettered.
- better than
比…更好 be finer than
This is in every way better than that. 这个在各方面都比那个好。
This one is far better than the other. 这个比那个好得多。
Neither road out of town is very good, but this one is better than the other one. 出镇的两条路都不太好,但这条比另一条好。
The new method is not perfect; even so, it's much better than the old one. 新的方法并不完美,但即使如此,它比老的方法要好得多。
It's better to win than to lose. 胜利总比失败好。
It's better to say little than (to) say much. 少说为妙。
- 比…更好 be finer than
- be better off
比较富裕; 较舒服 be richer; be more comfortable
They are better off this year. 他们今年宽松些。
He would be better off leaving everyday care to his wife. 如果把日常家务让他的妻子去管,他就会轻松些。
You'd be better off going to the police about it. 把这件事告诉警方,你就会舒服些。
- 比较富裕; 较舒服 be richer; be more comfortable
- had better
最好would find it wiser to (do)
You'd better have a rest. 你最好休息一下。
We'd better stay indoors today. 我们今天还是呆在家里好。
I don't think we'd better go in. 我认为咱们不该进去。
You'd better go out, or I will throw you out of the window. 你最好出去，不然的话我就把你从窗户扔出去。
You'd better have come earlier. 你本该早点来的。
We'd better not accept the invitation. 咱们还是不接受邀请的好。
Hadn'd we better go now? 我们是不是现在就去呢？
Had'd you better tell the truth? 你坦白交代不是更好吗？
Better not wait for him. 最好不要等他了。
“Can I telephone him now?”“Better not.” “我现在可以给他打电话吗？”“最好不要打。”
“We'd better leave soon.”“Yes, we'd better.” “我们最好还是快点走吧。”“是的，我们快点走吧。”
- 最好would find it wiser to (do)
- for better or for worse
不管是好是坏,不管结果如何 whether the result is good or bad
He has resolved to take her for better or for worse. 不论是福是祸,他决心娶她为妻。
It's been done, and, for better or for worse, we can't change it now. 事已至此,无论是好是坏,已无法改变。
- 不管是好是坏,不管结果如何 whether the result is good or bad
- get the better of
占上风,胜过… get the upper hand; win an advantage; prevail
He made a mistake by allowing his anger to get the better of him. 他的错误是没有能够克制住自己的愤怒。
If you work hard, you will get the better of your classmates. 如果你努力学习,你将胜过同班同学。
He always gets the better of me at chess. 他下国际象棋总是赢我。
She always gets the better of our quarrels. 我们吵架时她总是占上风。
- 占上风,胜过… get the upper hand; win an advantage; prevail
- so much the better
甚至更好 that is even better
The result is not very important to us, but if we do win, so much the better. 结果对我们并不重要,但假如我们真赢了,那就更好了。
- 甚至更好 that is even better
The grey mare is the better horse here.出自：G. B. Shaw
Andrew would be a better man than he had been.出自：V. Woolf
Better planes, better explosives, better guns and gasessevery improvement increases the sum of fear and hatred.出自：Aldous Huxley
She left to better herself, and obtained the situation of nurse.出自：F. Marryat
Their speech and dress were bettered while she kept them in her charge.出自：W. C. Williams
I lack the will-power to do anything with my life, to better my position by hard work.出自：L. Durrell
I am better today, but not well yet.
You had better go at once.
had better have结构的例句:
I think/thought I had better have gone already.
- Better go at once属于美国口语，同You had better go at once有相同意思。Better to go at once也是口语，同It is better to go at once有相同意思；
- You'd better go at once.句中的You'd可作You had，也可作You would，前者比较普遍些；
- better作“较好的,更好的”解时是good的比较级,可用far, much但不可用more, very修饰。但在作“渐愈或痊愈的”解时不用于比较结构,也不可用much修饰。
- “我的感冒好些了。”通常用I'm better.来表示,有时也有人用My cold is better.来表示,但不是地道的英语。
- better用作副词的基本意思是“更好地”,既可修饰动态动词,也可修饰静态动词。作“更,更大程度地”解时,与more同义,常与love, like, know, understand等表示心理感情的静态动词连用。
- better常用于be better off短语中,意思是“比较富裕,较舒服”,其后可接名词或动名词。better还常用在the better..., the more...结构中,意思是“越…就越…”。
- better有时可表示原级所没有的特殊意义。例如:She says he is honest, but I know better.她说他很诚实,但我却不以为然。
- better一般只用于单数形式,其前可加冠词; 作“前辈”“上级”解时常用于习语elders and betters中。
- no better than, not better than, not any better than
这三个短语都可用于两者之间的比较,但含义各不相同。no better往往表示“两者都一样(不好)”; not better一般按字面意思来翻译,即“不比…好”; not any better则表示前者还不如后者,即“一点也不比…好”。试比较以下几个句子:
- He is no better than an idiot.
- I'm not better than you in this respect.
- I think she is not any better than me in this respect.
- better, improve
improve与better意思相近,都指在原有基础上改进得更好。其区别是：1.在提高的速度和水平上, improve比better更快更高。2.better比improve更有生气和亲切感。3.better和improve都可接反身代词再接介词in,前者指某人的社会经济地位向好的方面发展,后者指本身向更好的方面变化。例如:He has bettered himself in living condition.他的生活条件已大有改善。I wish to improve myself in drawing.但愿我在绘画方面有所长进。
误 I'm completely better now.
正 I'm completely well now.
错句：better not to drink any more.
纠正：better not drink any more.
- better:better adj. 较好的adv. 更好的, 更多的, 更佳的习惯用语be better than one's word 做的多于所许诺的a better part of 过半I haven't…