- 有病的,患病的 physically or mentally unwell; ill
- [P] 恶心的,想吐的 likely to vomit; nauseous
- 腻烦的,厌恶的 bored with sb/sth
- [P] 心烦意乱的,恼火的 distressed or disgusted
- [U] 呕吐物 vomit
- people who are sick;
"they devote their lives to caring for the sick"
- affected by an impairment of normal physical or mental function;
"ill from the monotony of his suffering"
- feeling nausea; feeling about to vomit
- affected with madness or insanity;
"a man who had gone mad"
- having a strong distaste from surfeit;
"grew more and more disgusted"
"fed up with their complaints"
"sick of it all"
"sick to death of flattery"
"gossip that makes one sick"
"tired of the noise and smoke"
- (of light) lacking in intensity or brightness; dim or feeble;
"the pale light of a half moon"
"a pale sun"
"the late afternoon light coming through the el tracks fell in pale oblongs on the street"
"a pallid sky"
"the pale (or wan) stars"
"the wan light of dawn"
- deeply affected by a strong feeling;
"sat completely still, sick with envy"
"she was sick with longing"
- shockingly repellent; inspiring horror;
"the grim aftermath of the bombing"
"the grim task of burying the victims"
"a grisly murder"
"gruesome evidence of human sacrifice"
"macabre tales of war and plague in the Middle ages"
"macabre tortures conceived by madmen"
- eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth;
"After drinking too much, the students vomited"
"He purged continuously"
"The patient regurgitated the food we gave him last night"
- He fell sick with malaria on a trip to Africa.
- He put a maid in to look after his sick wife.
- You'll be sick if you eat any more of that candy.
- I'm sick of waiting around like this.
- I was sick in the car yesterday.
- The sick need special care.
- He sicked a dog on the thief.
- If you need something done, I'll sick him on it.
He is a very sick man.
The sick boy bathed himself in sunlight.
He visits his sick uncle in hospital every day.
He is in search of a doctor for his sick girl.
We must divide the sick men from the others.
With a sick husband, she was chained to the house all day.
The doctor dedicated his life to the sick people in the tropical country.
She has a sick stomach.
The boss called the foreman on the carpet for granting sick leave to a worker without first asking for permission.
Your little sister is sick, try to bear with her when she cries.
She has been sick for one month.
She attended to all his needs while he was sick.
He must be either sick or detained by business, otherwise he would surely have been here on time.
Grandmother became very sick and death was staring her in the face.
He began to feel sick as soon as the ship started to move.
I feel sick at my work.
He was rather sick at missing the last train.
He was awfully sick at being beaten.
He is sick for it.
The boy was obviously homesick.
He was always sick for old happy times.
He is sick from overeating.
I am heartily sick of them.
He acted the fool so often everyone got sick and tired of him.
They are sick of the food given by cooks in their school.
Thank goodness the days are drawing out again,I'm so sick of the winter.
We are sick of your complaining.
He fell sick with flu.
She fell sick with fever.
She is sick with me for being so late.
He smoked himself sick.
The smell made her sick.
It makes me sick to see her being treated so badly.
The basin was full of sick.
The sick need special care.
He said his work is to heal the sick.
We'll go to visit the sick in hospital tomorrow.
- as sick as a parrot
非常失望、妒忌等 very disappointed, envious, etc.
Mary is as sick as a parrot about losing her watch. 玛丽丢了表之后感到非常不高兴。
John is really jealous of my new house—he's as sick as a parrot. 约翰非常嫉妒我有了一栋新房子,他是个十足的妒忌鬼。
- 非常失望、妒忌等 very disappointed, envious, etc.
- sick about 对…很不愉快
- sick at 对…不愉快
- sick at failing the examination 为考试未能及格而不快
- sick at heart 忧心忡忡
- sick for 渴望,想望
- sick for one's home 想家
- sick in the car 晕车
- sick of 得…病,厌恶…的
- sick of a fever 发烧
- sick of lies 厌恶说谎
- sick of waiting 等得不耐烦
- sick to one's stomach 恶心的,作呕
- sick with 患…病,(对)感到不快〔懊丧〕
- sick with flu 患流行性感冒
- sick with sb for being so late 怪某人来得太迟
- full of sick 充满呕吐物
You two'll get sick.., if you don't get more rest.出自：T. Dreiser
When she was sick..he wanted her to get the best doctor.出自：P. Roazen
This whole continent is sick with race hatred.出自：fig.
His infant misdeeds like the time he..sicked up in the bus.sssss J. le Carr&eacusc;出自：ssssP. Leach
'Sic 'em, Tulip,' he said.出自：P. G. Wodehouse
George didn't come in last week because he was ill.
be sick作“呕吐的”解。 fall sick作“患病”解；
I was sick three times in the night.
- 在美式英语里，通常将sick用在身体某部分的名称前面，如sick kidneys，sick nerves和sick hair；
Allen has got sick of city life,and is now sick for his home in the country.
- 在现代英语里，sick与with连用，后面加病名，而不用介词of，如：sick with fever sick；
- a sick child指“一个有病的孩子”，但只是暂时或经常有病的，如a little sick child是“经常有病的”，而a sick little child是“暂时有病的”。不同的是，a sickly child指“一个多病的孩子”，表示很容易生病。
- sick的基本意思是“有病的”,在英式英语中只用作表语,而在美式英语中则既可用作表语,也可用作定语,常用于修饰人,偶尔也用于修饰事物如sick leave(病假)。
- sick在非正式文体中偶尔也可用作动词,通常与up连用,表示“呕吐出…”。例如:The baby sicked up a little milk.婴儿吐出了一点奶。
- sick at, sick for, sick of, sick with
这四个短语意思不同：sick at表示“对某事感到懊丧或不高兴”,相当于sick about 。sick for表示“渴望,盼望”,相当于eager for。sick of表示“对某人或某人做某事感到厌恶或不耐烦”,相当于tired of。sick with意思有三：一是“因…呕吐”,相当于sick from; 二是“患…病”,相当于sick of; 三是“对…懊丧或不高兴”,相当于sick about。
- sick, ill
这两个词的共同意思是“生病的”。其区别是：ill只用作表语,而sick既可用作表语,也可用作定语。另外,作“恶心”解时只用sick,作“坏的,糟的”解时只用ill。例如:She's visiting her sick uncle in hospital.她到医院去看望生病的叔叔。The man looks pretty sick.这人看上去病得很重。We began to feel sick as soon as the ship started to move.轮船刚刚开动,我们就觉得恶心。
- sick, sickly
这两个形容词共同的意思是“患病的”,其区别是：sick主要用于人,而sickly既可用于人,也可用于其他生物或非生物。用于人时, sick通常指“小恙”,含有“暂时”的意味; 而sickly往往指“痼疾”,含有“慢性”或“经常性”的意味。例如:
- The sick boy is a friend of my son's.
- The mother was lulling her sickly baby to sleep.
- sickly用于其他生物时,也具有“不健康的”意义; 修饰非生物时,含有“令人厌恶的、不好的”意味。例如:
- These plants look rather sickly.这些植物看起来有些不健康。
- There is a sickly smell.有一股令人作呕的气味。
- I feel sick in the stomach.
- I am sick at the stomach.
误 She is sick in heart.
正 She is sick at heart.
析 表示“心里烦闷”通常用固定短语be sick at heart表示,其中的介词at不能改为in。
误 I'm sick at winter; why doesn't spring come?
正 I'm sick of winter; why doesn't spring come?
析 表示“讨厌或厌烦…”须用be sick of sb/sth 结构,其中的介词of不能改为at。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的soec；最初源自古日耳曼语的seukaz，意为不舒服的，生病的。
- sick:sick n. 病人 adj. 不舒服, 有病的, 恶心的, 厌恶的, 渴望的, 病态的 vt. 呕吐, 追击, 使狗去咬英英解释:名词sick:1. people who are sick动词si…