- =illustrated, illustration, illustrator
- [P]有病的,不健康的 physically or mentally unwell, sick
- [A]不好的,坏的 not good; bad
- [A]恶意的,敌意的 unkind, resentful
- 坏,恶劣地 badly; wrongly
- 不利地,不充分地 unfavourably; not enough
- an often persistent bodily disorder or disease; a cause for complaining
- affected by an impairment of normal physical or mental function;
"ill from the monotony of his suffering"
- resulting in suffering or adversity;
"it's an ill wind that blows no good"
"of ill repute"
- indicating hostility or enmity;
"you certainly did me an ill turn"
- presaging ill fortune;
"my words with inauspicious thunderings shook heaven"
"a dead and ominous silence prevailed"
"a by-election at a time highly unpropitious for the Government"
- (`ill' is often used as a combining form) in a poor or improper or unsatisfactory manner; not well;
"he was ill prepared"
"it ill befits a man to betray old friends"
"the car runs badly"
"he performed badly on the exam"
"the team played poorly"
"an ill-conceived plan"
- unfavorably or with disapproval;
"tried not to speak ill of the dead"
"thought badly of him for his lack of concern"
- with difficulty or inconvenience; scarcely or hardly;
"we can ill afford to buy a new car just now"
- There's one bad apple for every three good ones.
- He was ill, but made out to be all right.
- The new arrangement caused a lot of ill feeling.
- You should not speak ill of your friend.
- Jim accepted that he was wrong with an ill grace.
- It would be mulish not to admit to a feeling of relief that Russia has accepted these changes without too much ill grace.
- It is better to fight for good than to rail at the ill.
- The world goes ill with the man who takes to drink.
- More unhappiness followed Mansfield when she became seriously ill.
- The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.
- I've never spoken ill of him in my life.
- You should not speak ill of your friend.
He is a man of ill fame.
He broke away his ill habits.
Ill temper made him lose the job.
The unusually heavy rainfall was an ill omen for the travellers.
There's a lot of ill feeling about her being promoted.
On my return here, as ill luck would have it, this was the only room vacant.
She became ill previous to her visit.
He looks ill these days.
He lay ill in bed for a month.
He has been ill for many years.
Even my father became ill from anxiety.
I am ill of a fever.
He was ill of gall stone.
She was ill with anxiety.
He fell ill with a bad cold last month.
He was ill through grief.
He that is ill to himself will be good to nobody.
Is he ill enough to need a doctor?
He was too ill to eat much.
He made himself ill by drinking.
He often speaks ill of me behind my back.
Don't think ill of him.
He speaks ill of his former friends.
Sam was often ill treated when he worked on the rubber plantation.
The whole affairs turned out ill.
A work ill done must be done twice.
The bridges are ill built.
It ill becomes you to speak so.
Such conduct ill befits the occasion.
He is ill able to sustain the burden.
His envy was ill concealed.
We can ill afford such extravagances.
I'm ill prepared for it.
We can ill afford the time or money for a holiday.
The school boy took it ill that the teacher reproved him for idleness.
They were ill provided with ammunition.
The country can ill afford to wage a large war.
What they did ill accords with the interests of this country.
- it's an ill wind
失此得彼 an apparently unfavourable situation has its good aspects
It now takes me an hour on the train to travel to work, but at least I can catch up on my leisure reading; it's an ill wind. 现在我要花上一个小时乘火车去上班,但是,至少我可以有时间悠闲地读书了,失此得彼嘛。
It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good. 世上没有对人人都不利的事。
- 失此得彼 an apparently unfavourable situation has its good aspects
- go ill with
于某人不利 end in trouble for sb
Things have gone ill with them. 他们的处境不妙。
He warned them it would go ill with them if they insisted. 他告诫他们,如果他们坚持,就会吃亏。
It will go ill with him if he doesn't admit he was in the building when the crime took place. 如果他不承认犯罪行为发生时他在大楼里,那将对他不利。
- 于某人不利 end in trouble for sb
- ill at ease
He was ill at ease and remained silent. 他觉得不自在,一直保持沉默。
With two children bedridden the mother was ill at ease. 两个孩子病得躺在床上,母亲非常焦急。
The boy was ill at ease in the presence of the headmaster. 那男孩在校长面前感到局促不安。
He felt as ill at ease as if he had swallowed a fly. 他感到像吞了一只苍蝇那样不自在。
He's so aggressive I always feel ill at ease in his company. 他太爱挑衅了,因此和他在一起我老是觉得不自在。
Whenever there was a knock at the door, she felt ill at ease. 只要有人敲门,她就会惶惶不安。
- 局促不安的,不自在的 uncomfortable
- ill blood 怨恨,恶意
- ill breeding 教养不好
- ill deeds 恶劣行为
- ill fortune 不幸
- ill health 不健康
- ill luck 不幸
- ill management 管理不善
- ill nature 劣根性
- ill will 怨恨,恶意
Oh yet we trust that somehow good Will be the final goal of ill.出自：Tennyson
The roads were dotted with roving characters of possibly ill intent.出自：T. Hardy
- ill, sick
这两个词的共同意思是“生病的”。其区别是：ill只用作表语,而sick既可用作表语,也可用作定语。另外,作“恶心”解时只用sick,作“坏的,糟的”解时只用ill。例如:She's visiting her sick uncle in hospital.她到医院去看望生病的叔叔。The man looks pretty sick.这人看上去病得很重。We began to feel sick as soon as the ship started to move.轮船刚刚开动,我们就觉得恶心。
- ill, bad, evil, wicked
这组词的共同意思是“坏”。其区别是：1.从所指范围上说, ill和bad范围最广,从稍有不利、不良到邪恶均可使用, evil和wicked指“邪恶”,程度较重。2.从语气上说,从弱到强依次为bad, ill, evil , wicked。3.evil多用于道德方面, wicked谴责意味最强。例如:That woman has an evil tongue.那女人有一张惯于恶语中伤的嘴。It's a wicked waste of money.这样浪费金钱简直是罪恶。4.ill还可作“有病的,不健康的”解, bad还可作“不幸的,太可惜的”解。例如:Too bad you couldn't come last night.真可惜,你昨晚没能来。
- ill, unwell
这两个词都有“感觉不适”的意思。unwell指短期生病, ill时间相对较长。另外, unwell语气较ill委婉。例如:I didn't go to the concert because I felt unwell that evening.因为感到不舒服,那天晚上我没去听音乐会。
- bad evil ill poor wicked
误 The ill student has been absent from school for two days.
正 The sick student has been absent from school for two days.
误 She did not come to class because she had to look after her ill brother.
正 She did not come to class because she had to look after her sick brother.
析 ill作“有病的”解时,只能用作表语。ill作为定语是“坏的,拙劣的,不恰当的”意思, sick作“有病的”讲可用作表语,也可用作定语。
- ☆ 直接源自古挪威语的illr，意为病，邪恶。
- ill:ill adj. 有病的, 坏的, 恶意的, 生病 英英解释:名词ill:1. an often persistent bodily disorder or disease; a cause for…