- 大 ，大大地
- 自由（现仅用于at large，in the large）
- 大的,巨大的;大规模的,众多的 more than usual in size, number, or amount;big
- a garment size for a large person
- above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent;
"a large city"
"set out for the big city"
"a large sum"
"a big (or large) barn"
"a large family"
"a big expenditure"
"a large number of newspapers"
"a big group of scientists"
"large areas of the world"
- fairly large or important in effect; influential;
"played a large role in the negotiations"
- ostentatiously lofty in style;
"a man given to large talk"
"tumid political prose"
- generous and understanding and tolerant;
"a heart big enough to hold no grudges"
"that's very big of you to be so forgiving"
"a large and generous spirit"
"a large heart"
"magnanimous toward his enemies"
- conspicuous in position or importance;
"a big figure in the movement"
"big man on campus"
"he's very large in financial circles"
"a prominent citizen"
- having broad power and range and scope;
"taking the large view"
"a large effect"
"a large sympathy"
- in an advanced stage of pregnancy;
"was big with child"
"was great with child"
- at a distance, wide of something (as of a mark)
- with the wind abaft the beam;
"a ship sailing large"
- in a boastful manner;
"he talked big all evening"
- Shanghai is a large city.
- The oceans are large bodies of water.
- The hill was surmounted with a large castle.
- The concert drew a large audience.
- He has a large amount of mail to answer every day.
- He has a large number of reference books at his disposal.
- You should change from the small to a large size.
- This issue is so large and the process was so lengthy.
- The President is a man of large experience.
- He tends to talk large.
This creature has the largest eyes in the whole animal kingdom.
The knives and forks were kept in a large jam jar.
The Pacific is by far the largest ocean.
Japan is mainly formed of four large islands.
The flooding of large areas of land was consequent upon the heavy rain.
This system of heating is satisfactory for large buildings.
The libraries in large cities are well supplied with books on many subjects.
The small shops were merged into a large market.
China has a large population.
The little boy has a very large collection of model cars.
A large number of our students are English.
He has a large amount of mail to answer every day.
A large number of American firms have agents in this country.
We now have large reserves to tide us over a difficult patch.
He is a man of large experience.
Don't say large talk.
America is larger than England.
This room is much larger than that one.
The houses of the rich are generally larger than those of the poor.
This coat is too large for me.
Exports for the first three months are larger by 20 per cent than those for the corresponding period of last year.
- as large as life
像实物一样大 as big as true thing
The toy dog is as large as life. 这只玩具狗和真狗一样大。
The statue is as large as life. 这个塑像和真人一样大。
确确实实 unexpectedly present
He is here as large as life. 他确实在这儿。
- 像实物一样大 as big as true thing
- at large
The soldier reported that a prisoner was at large. 士兵报告说一名囚犯在逃。
The escaped prisoner is still at large. 那个逃犯仍逍遥法外。
The suspect is still at large. 嫌疑犯仍在逃。
一般说来,随便地 as a whole, altogether
The people at large want peace. 总的来说,人民是渴望和平的。
They wandered at large over the country side. 他们在乡间随便地漫游。
Did the people at large approve of the government's policy? 一般老百姓赞成政府的政策吗?
The country at large is hoping for great changes. 这个国家普遍来说都希望有大变化。
详细地 in detail
She talked at large about her plans. 她详细地谈了她的打算。
He spoke at large on the subject. 他详细地谈了这个问题。
- (囚犯)在逃,逍遥法外 uncontrolled
- by and large
总的来说 on the whole;in general
By and large, the British working class is better off today than it was a generation ago. 大体上说,英国工人阶级的境况比二、三十年前更好。
By and large, women can bear pain better than men. 一般说来,女人比男人更能忍受痛苦。
- 总的来说 on the whole;in general
- have large hand in
在…出了很大的力量 work hard on sth
She had already had a large hand in the recovery of Allied prisoners of war from Germany. 她在遣返在德国的被俘盟军官兵回国工作中曾经作出了很大的贡献。
- 在…出了很大的力量 work hard on sth
- in (the) large
He's made trial of this method in large. 他对这方法进行过大规模的试验。
一般说来 generally speaking
She didn't come back.In the large, she is no longer missed. 她没有回来。一般说来,人家已不再惦记她了。
- 大规模地 extensively
- large man
彪形大汉 big fellow
He was a large man. 他是个身材高大的人。
了不起的人 big shot
To my mind,Mark Twain was beyond question the large man of his time. 在我看来,马克·吐温无疑是他那一时代中最了不起的人物。
- 彪形大汉 big fellow
- large family 多子女的家庭
- large fortune 大笔财产
- large house 大房屋
- large ideas 思维开阔的人
- large lady 肥胖的女人
- large number of people 很多人
- large power 广泛的权限
- large problem 重大问题
- large promise 靠不住的诺言
- large question 十分重要的问题
- large role 主要角色,很大作用
- large story 离奇的故事
- large talk 夸口
- large truth 伟大的真理
- large view 目光远大
- large way 夸张的手法
The poor King Reignier, whose large style Agrees not with the leanness of his purse.出自：2 Henry VI,Shakespeare
Large of his treasures.出自：Dryden
- large偶可名词化,用于at large, in (the) large等短语中。
- larger than, as large as
这两种表示比较的结构在意思上相同,表示2倍或3倍的时候多用as large as。例如:
- This picture is two times as large as that one.
- This picture is five times larger than that one.
- large, big, great
这三个词都可表示“大”,常可互换。例如“一棵大树”可说a big tree,也可以说a large tree,还可以说a great tree。其区别在于:1.big常用于体积、程度、分量; large常用于面积、范围、数量; 而great带有强烈的感情色彩,只可用于抽象事物。例如:The sun is a big ball of fire.太阳是个巨大的火球。There is a large hall in the middle of the school campus.校园中间有个大厅。The great animal crept slowly towards me.这庞然大物慢慢向我爬来。He has made great progress.他取得了很大进步。2.修饰人时,这三个词含义不同:big指长大或大人物, large指高大肥胖,而great则指(伟)大。例如:She is a big girl.她现在是个大姑娘了。He's the greatest man I've ever seen.他是我见过的最伟大的人物。She is a large woman.她是个高大的女人。3.在语气上, big比large通俗; great比large感情色彩浓。4.big和great常可用来加强语气,表示强烈的感情。它们可以和别的形容词连用,也可以彼此连用。例如:You great age!您真是高龄!You big fool!你真是个大傻瓜!Move your great big smelly feet!拿开你的臭脚!注意只能说great big,不能说big great。5.如将“大小”相对,可说big and little, large and small, great and little〔small〕。
- ☆ 1200年左右进英入语，直接源自拉丁语的largus，意为大，巨大。
- largeness n. 大
- large:large adj. 大的, 巨大的, 宽大的, 夸大的adv. 大大地, 夸大地, 顺风地n. 大 英英解释:名词large:1. a garment size for a large person…