- 不幸的，可怜的， 令人同情的
- 穷人（the poor）
- 贫困的,贫穷的 having very little money and therefore a low standard of living
- 低劣的,次等的 rather far below the usual standard, low in quality
- 贫乏的 rather far less than is needed or expected, small in size or quantity
- (身体)衰弱的 (of health) rather weak, not good
- [A]可怜的,不幸的 deserving or causing pity , unlucky
people without possessions or wealth (considered as a group);
"the urban poor need assistance"
deserving or inciting pity;
"a hapless victim"
"miserable victims of war"
"the shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic"
"piteous appeals for help"
"pitiable homeless children"
"a pitiful fate"
"Oh, you poor thing"
"his poor distorted limbs"
"a wretched life"
having little money or few possessions;
"deplored the gap between rich and poor countries"
"the proverbial poor artist living in a garret"
characterized by or indicating poverty;
"the country had a poor economy"
"they lived in the poor section of town"
lacking in specific resources, qualities or substances;
"a poor land"
"the area was poor in timber and coal"
"food poor in nutritive value"
not sufficient to meet a need;
"an inadequate income"
"a poor salary"
"money is short"
"on short rations"
"food is in short supply"
"short on experience"
"a poor light for reading"
"expectations were poor"
- The poor horse looked all skin and bone.
- He was too poor to buy a new coat.
- Sparkling white wine is the poor man's champagne.
- Some people may regard radio as the poor relation of broadcasting.
- My eyes were tired from reading in a poor light.
- Conditions in poor quarters were horrible.
- She works hard for the welfare of the poor.
- Many poor people gathered at the gate.
- A poor man came to the house this morning, begging for food.
- If a poor man inherits a large fortune and dies a month later, one might call it one of life's ironies.
- The boy comes of a poor family.
- It is one of the poorest countries in the world.
- The farm is a very poor one.
- An actor who mouths his words is a poor actor.
- The creature is physically feeble, with poor vision and dull senses.
- The poor man always wants to have a really comfortable home.
- The poor child burst into tears when he found himself lost.
- Your poor father and I have suffered very much of late.
- The poor old man had lost both his sons in the war.
- It was wicked of you to torment the poor cat.
- The poor cat was kicked downstairs by the children.
- Other things being equal,Alice would marry Jim, not Tom, but Jim is poor, and Tom is rich.
- The village used to be poor.
- The light in this room is poor.
- It's cheap, but on the other hand the quality is poor.
- The food at this inn is very poor.
- My German is rather poor, and I couldn't make myself understood.
- He is poor in money, but rich in knowledge.
- We were very poor in our family.
- She is too poor to satisfy her family's material needs.
- He was too poor to buy shoes for his family.
- The rich ought to help the poor.
- The poor were looked down upon in the old days.
- The poor are always with us.
- They distributed food and clothing to the poor.
- poor chance 机会不大
My parents, though poor, were religious and honest.出自：Westminster Magazine
Warren Hastings was poor, but his ancestors had once owned large estates.出自： W. S. Churchill
We were as poor as church mice once, but I would have every minute of it again.出自：Milton Keynes Express
The poet was so poor he was in bed, for his clothes were pawned.出自： A. Thwaite
- poor的基本意思是“贫困的,贫穷的”,用于描写长期或临时处于贫困状态的人,也可指那些被认为没有足够钱的人所具有的卑劣、无知和不道德; 用于物时,还可作“低劣的,次等的”“贫乏的”“贫瘠的”解,主要指在数量上、质量上不足或低于期望值。可用作表语,也可用于名词前作定语,可用于比较等级。
- poor前可加定冠词the而用如名词,表示一类人,意思是“穷人”,可以作主语、宾语,但不能加不定冠词,也不能在词尾加 -s 。the poor做主语时,谓语动词应用复数形式。
- poor, hard up, lower classes
- poor是其中最广义的词,可指长期或临时的物质或精神的匮乏; hard up是poor的口头用语,常指短期物质的匮乏,例如发工资前借钱买午餐或庄稼歉收时的农民,都可用hard up; lower classes习惯上用于指在任何社会中社会地位和经济地位最低的一些人,那些所谓lower classes的人通常是穷的,然而如今该词常用作带贬义的势利语,指那些胸无大志,缺少教养的人,这些人经济上也许贫也许富。例如:
- If prices continue to advance, poor people will find it hard to live.如果物价继续上涨,穷人的日子就更不好过了。
- I am hard up for money this month.我这个月手头拮据。
- He is a member of lower classes.他是下层社会的一员。
- The poor John died last night.
- Poor John died last night.
- the poor 穷人们
- the poor men 那些穷人们
误 Tom's Chinese level is low.
正 Tom's Chinese level is poor.
正 Tom is poor in Chinese
析 误句是汉式英语。He is a poor liar.
- ☆ 1200年进入英语，直接源自古法语的poure；最初源自古典拉丁语的pauper，意为贫穷的，可怜的。