- =longitude 经度
- 长的 measuring a large, or larger than average, amount from one end to the other
- 长久的 covering a certain distance from one end to the other or a certain time
- 长久地,长期地 for a long time
- 很久地,久远地 at a long time
- [U]长时间,长时期 interval, after a period of time
- vi. 渴望;极想 desire;wish;want sth very much
- primarily temporal sense; being or indicating a relatively great or greater than average duration or passage of time or a duration as specified;
"a long life"
"a long boring speech"
"a long time"
"a long friendship"
"a long game"
"an hour long"
- primarily spatial sense; of relatively great or greater than average spatial extension or extension as specified;
"a long road"
"a long distance"
"contained many long words"
"ten miles long"
- of relatively great height;
"a race of long gaunt men"
"looked out the long French windows"
- good at remembering;
"a retentive mind"
- holding securities or commodities in expectation of a rise in prices;
"is long on coffee"
"a long position in gold"
- (of speech sounds or syllables) of relatively long duration;
"the English vowel sounds in `bate', `beat', `bite', `boat', `boot' are long"
- involving substantial risk;
- planning prudently for the future;
"large goals that required farsighted policies"
"took a long view of the geopolitical issues"
- having or being more than normal or necessary:
"long on brains"
"in long supply"
- for an extended time or at a distant time;
"a promotion long overdue"
"something long hoped for"
"his name has long been forgotten"
"talked all night long"
"how long will you be gone?"
"arrived long before he was expected"
"it is long after your bedtime"
- for an extended distance
- desire strongly or persistently
- She was slender and had long dark hair.
- She bought some roses with long stems.
- He delivered a long prose full of platitudes.
- I haven't seen him for a long while.
- After such a long walk you may feel hungry.
- The long vowels have undergone much modification.
- I haven't known her long.
- I knew Tom long before I knew you.
- She plays her radio all day long.
- She sat by her sick husband all night long.
- She longed to be back in China.
- They long for a chance to visit Shanghai.
- This won't take long.
The pupils have two long holidays every year.
His long illness and consequent absence from school delayed his progress of study.
They have begun the long and tiresome grind of preparing themselves for college entrance.
There was a long interval before he replied.
After a long separation, they held a glad meeting.
We succeeded in winning the contract, but for a long time, we were sailing against the wind, and were doubtful of our success.
After a long hunt for him, we saw him emerging from the crowd.
By all appearance the strike will go on for a long time.
The amount of coal of this country will be exhaustible within not a long time.
For a long period of time Latin was the literary language of Italy.
The long war exhausted our country in the nineteenth century.
The long journey knocked her up.
She had been away on a long trip.
They were unused to walking long distance.
It was a terrible grind getting up that long hill.
She plays a very dramatic woman with flashing eyes and a long black dress.
The plot is rather thin for such a long story.
That long talk healed many differences.
A long talk is tedious.
It is a long shot but I think John must have known about the murder.
Your car is longer than mine.
It's an hour long.
The garden is 20 metres long and 15 metres wide.
The house is 40 feet long and 20 feet broad.
This new railway is four hundred kilometres long.
He is long on brains.
He is long on hope.
You have been long fetching the car.
I won't be long unpacking.
He was a long time writing a letter.
He won't be long making up his mind.
Spring is long in coming.
He is long in returning.
My grandpa has long thought of retiring at 80.
I've long wanted to meet her.
He remained long in London.
He stayed up long after midnight.
I have long been cherishing the hope of visiting Beijing.
They had not been married long when her husband was ordered abroad.
He said that he had seen a tiger long before.
He hasn't long been back.
I'm sorry but I can't stay longer.
Were you there for long?
Shall you be away for long?
He was imprisoned for long.
I can't stay for long.
Shall I have long to wait?
We are longing to see you.
Ever since then I've been longing to meet him face to face.
- a long haul
持久而艰苦的活动 long and difficult activity, etc.
It's been a long haul but at last this dictionary is published. 经过千辛万苦,这部字典才终于得以问世。
- 持久而艰苦的活动 long and difficult activity, etc.
- at the longest
最多,最长 not longer than the specified time
He's only away for short periods, a week at the longest. 他只是短期外出,最多一周。
- 最多,最长 not longer than the specified time
- long odds
极小的可能性 a remote chance
We have put in a bid for a government contract, but there are long odds on our getting it. 我们已投标,以求与政府签订合同,但成功的可能性极小。
- 极小的可能性 a remote chance
- as〔so〕 long as
只要,如果 on condition that;provided that, if
I'll love you as long as I breathe. 只要我还活着,我一定爱你。
As long as he was physically able, he went to work in the fields. 只要身体能行,他就下田干活。
The employer cheated the workers into the belief that they could earn 30,000 yuan a year as long as they worked hard. 老板哄骗工人们相信：只要他们努力工作,一年可以挣到3万元。
I suppose you can forbid her as long as she is under age. 我认为只要她不到成年,你就可以阻止她。
You can't be defeated as long as you hold together. 只要你们团结起来,就不会被打败。
The shop will give a discount of ten percent as long as you don't want credit but pay on the nail. 要是你不赊账而即刻付钱,商店可以打9折。
You may stay here as long as you like. 你高兴在这儿呆多久就呆多久。
- 只要,如果 on condition that;provided that, if
- no longer
不再,已不 after a certain point in time
He's no longer living here. 他已不住此处。
He was long a famous musician, but he plays no longer. 他成为有名的音乐家已很久了,但他现在不演奏了。
Our products are no longer competitive in world markets. 我们的产品在世界市场上不再具有竞争力了。
The city's water supply is no longer adequate for its need. 这个城市的供水已不能满足需求。
- 不再,已不 after a certain point in time
- before long
I hope to see you before long. 我希望不久就看见你。
He will arrive before long. 他不久会到的。
She's asking for trouble and she'll get it before long. 她是在自讨苦吃,不久她就会真遇上麻烦的。
It was a thankless job, so we choked him off before long. 那是一件吃力不讨好的事情,所以我们很快就不让他做了。
The face of the town will be completely changed before long. 这个城镇的面貌不久将彻底改变。
We watched carefully and before long caught out the suspect. 我们留神观察,不久就发觉这个可疑的人在做坏事。
Tom's lessons were too difficult for him and before long he fell behind the rest of the class. 汤姆的课程对他来说太难,不久他就落后于班上的其他同学。
- 不久 soon
- take long
花时间干某事 cost time to do sth
The work won't take long. 这工作不会花太长时间。
To go on foot would take long. 步行将很费时间。
He always takes so long to eat his breakfast. 他总是费这么多时间吃早餐。
- 花时间干某事 cost time to do sth
- the long and the short of it
概括 an abbreviated account
Well,the long and the short of the matter is he wanted to use your bike for a day or two, but was too shy to say so. 总之,他是想借你的自行车用一两天,不过就是不好意思开口。
We had a lot of trouble with the car and traffic, and the long and the short of it is we were six hours late arriving there. 我们的车和交通都遇到了很多麻烦。总之,我们晚了6个小时到达那里。
- 概括 an abbreviated account
- long for (v.+prep.)
渴望;羡慕 desire earnestly;wish for very much long for sb/sth
He longed for his mother.他非常想念他母亲。
He has been longing for her ever since she left.自她走后,他一直在想念她。
You seem to be longing for me in saying something.好像你很想听我说些什么。
There is no one but longs for success.没有人不希望成功。
She is longing for home.她渴望回家。
The children are longing for the holidays.孩子们渴望假日的到来。
I'm longing for an icy cold beer. Aren't you?我很想来一瓶冰镇啤酒,你不想也来一瓶吗?
It has rained for five days in succession, so we are longing for some sunshine.已连续下了五天的雨,因此,我们渴望着出太阳。
I long for the day when my dreams can come true.我渴望有一天能够梦想成真。
I long for the time when I don't have to work as hard as this.我渴望能不像现在这样劳累。
So this is what you've been longing for.哦,这就是你一直所渴求的东西。用于 be ～ed 结构
A swift change is longed for, but unlikely.人们期盼着更快的变化,但不太可能。long for sb to-v
I long for him to write me often.我盼他常给我写信。
I'm longing for him to arrive.我迫切希望他来。
She longed for her husband to say something.她渴望她的丈夫能说些什么。
He longs for her to come back to him.他热切希望她回到他身边。
- 渴望;羡慕 desire earnestly;wish for very much long for sb/sth
- long arm 长臂
- long book 长书
- long dress 长裙
- long hair 长发
- long illness 久病
- long journey 长途旅行
- long note 远期票据
- long run 长远,终究
- long time 很长时间
- long way 远路
- a foot long 一英尺长
- a kilometre long 一公里长
- a meter long 一米长
- a mile long 一英里长
- a month long 一个月之久
- a week long 一周之久
- a year long 一年之久
- an hour long 一小时长
- thirty-seven minute long37 分钟长
- long curiously 异乎寻常地持久
- long diffusely 冗长地持久
- long endlessly 无尽地持久
- long extraordinarily 特别长
- long extremely 特别长
- long incredibly 难以置信地持久
- long interminably 冗长地持久
- long remarkably 明显地持久
- long tiresomely 令人厌倦地持久
- long unconscionably 过度地持久
- long drawn-up 过长的,过分延长的
- long lived 长寿的,长命的
- long standing 存在已久的
- long suffering 长期受苦的
- long travelled 长期旅行的
- long ago 很久以前
- long before 很久以前
- long since 很久以来
- take long 需要很长时间
- long fondly 深情地渴望
- long fruitlessly 没有结果地渴望
- long inexplicably 莫名其妙地渴望
- long inexpressibly 无法形容地渴望
- long irrationally 不合理地渴望
- long irresistibly 不可抑制地渴望
- long restlessly 坐立不安地渴望
- long singularly 奇特地渴望
- long wildly 强烈地渴望
She could not have come a very long distance.出自：T. Hardy
Annette walked quickly, taking long strides.出自：I. Murdoch
She has long brown hair hanging down her back.出自：E. Caldwell
The long stretch of Government Road.出自：W. Boyd
She longed to have her ambitions aroused.出自：E. L. Doctorow
He longed for him to be taken into care.出自：M. Amis
'Have you known her long?' I asked...'Since she was a child.'出自：J. Buchan
A series of..kindly housekeepers (none of whom stayed very long).出自：J. Mitchell
He..would long remember their talk.出自：D. Prater
I don't know how much longer I'll..keep on that job.出自：N. Gordimer
- so long在非正式用语中可作“再见”解。
- for long的意思是“长久”,常用于否定句或疑问句中。
- long有时还可用作可数名词,意思是“长音节”。例如:The poem has four longs and six shorts.这首诗有四个长音节和六个短音节。
- long有时也可用作及物动词,接表示希望或愿望的that从句,谓语多由will或may构成。例如:We longed that we could see our own country.我们迫切希望看到自己的国家。I long that she may come this afternoon.我盼她今天下午能来。
- long, a long time
1.这两者都用作表示时间的状语,用于疑问句中可互换。例如:Have you been here long〔a long〕 time?你在这里呆了很久了吗?2.a long time可用于肯定句中;而long只在受另一副词如too, enough, ago修饰时才用于肯定句。例如:She waited there for a long time.她在那里等了很长时间。You've been sleeping too long〔long enough 〕.你睡得太久了。3.在否定结构中,两者所表达的意思有别。试比较：
- Tom didn't work for long.
- Tom didn't work for a long time.
- how long, how soon
这两个短语的区别是:how soon的意思是“多久”,当我们就陈述句中的“过多少时间(就能…)”这一部分提问时,只能用how soon不能用how long; how long的意思是“多长”,当我们就陈述的“一段时间的长短”提问时,要用how long,不能用how soon。试比较:
- “How soon will he be here?”“In two hours.” “再过多久他就在这里了?”“两个小时。” “How long will he be here?”“For two hours.” “他要在这里呆多长时间?”“两个小时。”
- It will not take long to finish the work.
- It will not be long before I finish the work.
- long before, before long
before long的意思是“不久之后”,相当于soon,其中before是介词, long是名词; long before的意思是“很久以前”,相当于a long time earlier,long与before都是副词, long说明before的程度。试比较:
- It happened before long.
- It happened long before.
- long for, ache for, die for, hunger for, sigh for, starve for, thirst for
这组短语间的区别是:1.这组短语都可以表示“渴望得到某物”或“渴望做某事”; ache for和sigh for还可表示“想念某人”; hunger for还可表示“渴望知道某情况”。2.这组短语都可以人作主语; ache for和thirst for还可用表示身体某部位的名词作主语。3.这组短语都可以物作宾语; ache for, long for和sigh for还可以人作宾语。4.ache for和die for多用于进行时态; hunger for和thirst for多用于一般时态; 而long for则可用于各种时态。5.除starve for可用于被动语态作“缺乏”解外,其他6个短语极少用于被动语态。6.die for表示的是极端渴望; ache for和long for表示的是强烈的渴望; 其他4个短语所表示的语气则相对较轻。7.ache for和long for是口语用法; sigh for是文学用语; 其他4个短语则属于比喻用法。
- long, pine, yearn
这组词的共同意思是“渴望”。其区别在于:1.pine暗示苦苦思念不可能得到的事物; long暗示有强烈的愿望并付诸努力; yearn则暗示不安地或痛苦地渴望做到某事或得到某物。2.long和yearn后均可跟for短语或不定式,但long是一般用语,用于褒义或贬义均可;而yearn则通常用于高尚的感情或用于诗歌中。例如:My brother yearned to return to his native land.我哥哥渴望回故乡。
- desire wish hope expect want long
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的olng，意为长的，长期的。
- LONG:Longituden. 经度
- LONG:Longfellow National Historic Site (US National Park Service)朗费罗的国家古迹(美国国家公园服务)
- long:long adj. 长的, 长期的, 做多头的, 高的vi. 渴望, 热望adv. 长期地, 始终n. 长时间, (市场上)做多头的人, [语音]长音节 英英解释:动词long:1. desire s…