- n. 角落；转角；困境
- v. 将 ... 逼入困境；转弯；垄断
- adj. 位于角落的
- [C]角,角落 a place where two lines, walls or roads meet
- [C]遥远的地区 area far away
- [U][C]困境 difficult or awkward situation
- vi. 驾车转弯 drive a car round a corner
- vt. 垄断,囤积 gain control of the buying, selling or production of goods
- vt. 难住 put into a difficult position
a place off to the side of an area;
"he tripled to the rightfield corner"
"the southeastern corner of the Mediterranean"
the point where two lines meet or intersect;
"the corners of a rectangle"
an interior angle formed by two meeting walls;
"a piano was in one corner of the room"
the intersection of two streets;
"standing on the corner watching all the girls go by"
the point where three areas or surfaces meet or intersect;
"the corners of a cube"
a small concavity
a temporary monopoly on a kind of commercial trade;
"a corner on the silver market"
a predicament from which a skillful or graceful escape is impossible;
"his lying got him into a tight corner"
a projecting part where two sides or edges meet;
"he knocked off the corners"
a remote area;
"in many corners of the world they still practice slavery"
(architecture) solid exterior angle of a building; especially one formed by a cornerstone
gain control over;
"corner the gold market"
force a person or an animal into a position from which he cannot escape
turn a corner;
"the car corners"
- The news soon spread to the farthest corner.
- She sat in the corner, watching my every move.
- She waved to me as she turned the corner.
- There's a grocer's at the corner of the street.
- I'm in a tight corner at present.
- The interviewer had driven her into a corner.
- Don't try to corner your spouse.
- It's rather dangerous to corner at speed.
- He wants to corner the beer market.
- Our goal is to corner the market nationwide.
- She bought a box of chocolates at the corner store.
- The cube has eight corners.
- He hit his knee on the corner of the table.
- Come along, let's push it to the corner.
- Go on until you get to the next corner and then turn left.
- Our little corner shop is no longer a paying concern.
- As we turned the corner we came on a group of men who were waiting for the public house to open.
- He rounded a corner and walked into a narrow street.
- The Greens deal with the butcher at the corner of the street.
- Mother was a witness of the accident at the street corner.
- We knocked into each other at the street corner.
- She glanced shyly at him out of the corners of her eyes.
- The delegates came from all corners of the country.
- They were chatting in the corner.
- The old woman was spinning in the corner of the room.
- There is a chair which accommodates its shape to a person's position in the corner of the room.
- The two friends sat in a corner and chatted about the weather.
- That man sitting in the corner reminds me of your uncle Joe.
- The money was hidden in corners all over the house.
- He numbered the pages in the bottom corner.
- I saw him disappear round the corner.
- There is a bookstore round the corner.
- His huge bulk appeared round the corner of the street.
- The interviewer had driven her into a corner.
- They have forced me into a corner, so I'm going to have to give them what they want.
- We are certainly in a tight corner, but with perseverance we shall manage to get out of it.
- Unless he gets some money, soon he will be in a tight corner.
- His car corners well.
- My car corners well even in bad weather.
- He was cornering at 60 miles an hour.
- Some speculators have tried to corner wheat.
- They've cornered all the business.
- The question cornered me.
- He cornered the witness with clever questions.
- The thief was cornered in a blind alley.
- The wolf was cornered by the hunters.
- The escaped prisoner was cornered at last.
- cut corners 走近路,节约
- cut off a corner 抄近路
- drive sb into a corner 逼得某人走投无路
- keep a corner 保留一个角落
- round a corner 拐过街角
- turn a corner 拐过街角
- turn the corner 摆脱困境
- blind corner 看不见的拐角
- left corner 左角
- neglected corner 被忽视的角落,死角
- quiet corner 安静的角落
- right corner 右角
- sharp corner 急转弯
- tight corner 窘境,困境
- top left-hand corner 左上角
- corners of one's lips 嘴角
- far corners of the country 该国的边远地区
- all corners of the earth 世界各地
- corner of the room 房间的角
- corner fast 快速转弯
- corner well 转弯很稳
- corner beautifully (车)转弯灵活
- corner finally 最终无路可逃
- corner politically 政治上陷入困境
- corner safely 安全转弯
The corners of the mouth.出自： Goldsmith
The corner of a window.出自： J. Tyndall
I regarded him out of the corner of my eye.出自： T. Collins
There are one or two corners about you that are not perfect.出自： fig.
The Imperial City..corner'd with four white Towers.出自： Milton
- corner的基本意思是“角”,是可数名词,指两条线或两条路相交处; 也可作“遥远的地方,天涯海角”解,此时常用复数形式; 引申可指“困境,窘况”,此时可用作可数名词,也可用作不可数名词。
- corner接介词in,表示“在角落里”; 接介词on或at,表示“在拐角处”; 接介词round〔around〕,表示“拐过弯去”。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的corniere；最初源自古典拉丁语的cornua，意为角，突起物。
- angle 角度
- place 地方
- bend 弯曲
- turn 翻转
- crook 钩
- area 面积
- spot 地点
- nook 角落
- trap 圈套
- hole 洞
- impasse 僵局
- cul-de-sac 死路
- bind 捆绑
- jam 果酱
- pickle 腌汁
- squeeze 挤压
- stalemate 僵局
- region 地区
- edge 边缘
- margin 边缘
- monopoly 垄断
- part 部分
- section 部分
- district 地区
- brink 边缘
- quarter 四分之一
- hem 褶边
- rim 边
- brim 边
- verge 接近
- periphery 周边
- border 边界
- brow 前额
- niche 壁龛
- tree 树
- perimeter 周长
- convergence 收敛
- convergency 会合
- meeting 会议
- junction 连接
- intersection 交集
- juncture 时刻
- crossroads 交叉路口
- turning 旋转
- curve 曲线
- catch 赶上
- pin down 确定
- surround 包围
- tight spot 紧要关头
- confront 对抗
- restrict 限制
- detain 扣留
- waylay 伏击
- accost 搭话
- crossing 人行横道
- dead end 到达尽头
- end 结束
- tight 紧的
- dead 死的
- bring to bay 围困(穷追
- corner 角落
- private 私人的
- to 对于
- street corner 街角
- secret 秘密
- recess 休息
- turning point 转折点
- quoin 隅角
- recession 后退
- box 盒子
- oneself 自己
- on 在 ... 之上
- keep 保持
- all 所有的
- the 那
- market 市场
- a 英语字母表的第一个字母...
- bring 带来
- into 到 ... 里
- bay 海湾
- back 后面
- push 推