- n. 部分；部门；章节；区域；断面；剖面图；零件；路段；切开
- v. 划分；切开
- [C] 章节 separate part of a document, book, etc.
- [C] 部分 any of the parts into which sth may be or has been divided
- [C] 部门,科 department of an organization, institution, etc.
- [C] 截面,剖面 view of sth seen as if cut straight through from top to bottom
- [C] 地区,区 area
a self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical);
"he always turns first to the business section"
"the history of this work is discussed in the next section"
a very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope;
"sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue"
a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people;
"no section of the nation is more ardent than the South"
"there are three synagogues in the Jewish section"
one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object;
"a section of a fishing rod"
"metal sections were used below ground"
"finished the final segment of the road"
a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon
one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole;
"the written part of the exam"
"the finance section of the company"
"the BBC's engineering division"
a land unit equal to 1 square mile
(geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid
a small class of students who are part of a larger course but are taught separately;
"a graduate student taught sections for the professor's lecture course"
a division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class
a small army unit usually having a special function
a specialized division of a large organization;
"you'll find it in the hardware department"
"she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
a segment of a citrus fruit;
"he ate a section of the orange"
the cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation)
divide into segments;
"segment an orange"
"segment a compound word"
- White lines divide the playing area into sections.
- I hope someone competent will join our section.
- The report has a section on accidents at work.
- She lives near the business section.
- This illustration shows a section through the timber.
- The architect drew the house in section.
- The shed comes in sections that you assemble yourself.
- While driving on the bumpy section of the road, he switches on the shock-absorbers.
- The surgeon performed a section on the vein.
- The chapter falls into three sections.
- She cut a large section from the cake.
- A Reading Practice section is added to each unit in Book Two.
- This illustration shows a vertical section through the locust.
- I will go to the shopping sections of the city.
- the classified section 分类广告版
- the conservative section 保守派
- the large section 大部分
- the oblique section 斜断面
- the political section 政治部分
- the residential section 住宅区
He picked up his axe and began to split the sections of box-tree.出自： T. Keneally
She..began to section the grapefruit.出自： C. Macleod
- section, district, quarter, tract
- district通常指行政上的区域,又指具有显著特色的地方; section指一个国家或城市自然形成的地区; quarter一般指一个城市中的具有同一性的地区,尤指特殊一层人所居住的区域; tract指大片的土地、地域、地带或住房开发区。例如:
- The city has a busy Chinese quarter.这个城市有个热闹的华人区。
- The famous man's mail came from the corners of the globe.那位名人的信件来自世界各地。
- Large tracts of sandy land were reclaimed.大片大片的沙质荒地被开垦出来了。
- There is a vast tract of forest in that area.在那个地区有一大片森林。
- section, part, portion
- 这三个词的共同意思是“部分”, part可替换portion和section。其区别是：
- 1.part指任何整体中的一部分,是最常用的词; portion指各人分得的一部分; section指对整体分割、区分或归类后而形成的部分。
- 2.portion强调一份的量; section常暗指各部分之间有明显的界限。
- 3.portion多用于抽象事物; section多用于具体事物; part则既可用于抽象事物,也可用于具体事物。例如:
- He only gave away a small part of his fortune.他只捐赠了小部分家产。
- He was hungry and ordered two portions of fish.他很饿,叫了两份鱼。
- The town has three sections.这个城市有三个区域。
- All the machine parts are replaceable.所有的机器部件都可以更换。
- ☆ 1559年进入英语，直接源自中世纪法语的section；最初源自拉丁语的sectionem，意为切件，切开。