- 死去的,已故的 no longer alive
- 已废的,无正常功能的 no longer in use; without the necessary power to work properly
- 静止的; 麻木的 without life, movement, or activity; unable to feel
- 阴沉的; 不响亮的 dull; not clear or bright
- 完全的,全然的 complete
- 突然地 suddenly
- 极度地,完全地,绝对地 completely
- 直接地,正对着 directly
- people who are no longer living;
"they buried the dead"
- a time when coldness (or some other quality associated with death) is intense;
"the dead of winter"
- no longer having or seeming to have or expecting to have life;
"the nerve is dead"
"a dead pallor"
"he was marked as a dead man by the assassin"
- not showing characteristics of life especially the capacity to sustain life; no longer exerting force or having energy or heat;
"Mars is a dead planet"
"the fire is dead"
- very tired;
"was all in at the end of the day"
"so beat I could flop down and go to sleep anywhere"
"bushed after all that exercise"
"I'm dead after that long trip"
- unerringly accurate;
"a dead shot"
"took dead aim"
- physically inactive;
"Crater Lake is in the crater of a dead volcano of the Cascade Range"
- (followed by `to') not showing human feeling or sensitivity; unresponsive;
"passersby were dead to our plea for help"
"numb to the cries for mercy"
- devoid of physical sensation; numb;
"his gums were dead from the novocain"
"she felt no discomfort as the dentist drilled her deadened tooth"
"a public desensitized by continuous television coverage of atrocities"
- lacking acoustic resonance;
"dead sounds characteristic of some compact discs"
"the dead wall surfaces of a recording studio"
- not yielding a return;
- not circulating or flowing;
- not surviving in active use;
"Latin is a dead language"
- lacking resilience or bounce;
"a dead tennis ball"
- out of use or operation because of a fault or breakdown;
"a dead telephone line"
"the motor is dead"
- no longer having force or relevance;
"a dead issue"
"came to a dead stop"
- drained of electric charge; discharged;
"a dead battery"
"left the lights on and came back to find the battery drained"
- devoid of activity;
"this is a dead town; nothing ever happens here"
- quickly and without warning;
"he stopped suddenly"
- completely and without qualification; used informally as intensifiers;
"an absolutely magnificent painting"
"a perfectly idiotic idea"
"you're perfectly right"
"you can be dead sure of my innocence"
"was dead tired"
- It lay there with its eyes closed, dead as a doornail.
- He has been dead for two years.
- The phone went dead.
- The battery is dead.
- What a dead place this is!
- The acting was rather dead.
- The street seems dead without all the bustle of the children.
- You seem half dead.
- My dead fingers could not untie the knot.
- My legs had gone completely dead.
- She finished speaking, and there was dead silence in the room.
- His love for you is dead.
- The debate is now dead.
- Latin has become a dead language.
- Many people say that detente is now a dead letter.
- He fell with a dead thud.
- He was dead asleep.
- You can be dead sure of my innocence.
- The wind was dead against us.
- She stopped dead on the stairway.
Mary threw away the dead flowers.
You can pass a rope around this dead tree.
There was a dead silence in the house.
He was almost dead.
The chief editor has just been dead.Who will succeed him?
She has been dead for three hours.
He has been now dead for many years.
It is on record that a person has been restored to life several hours after he was thought to be dead.
This mountain town used to be dead after 10 p.m.
It's so cold outside that my fingers feel dead.
After all that work,I'm really dead.
My mother was dead from shopping.
He is dead in love with her.
His son is dead on radio.
He is dead of a disease.
He was dead with hunger.
He is dead with sleep.
The baby was born dead.
He was struck dead by electricity.
He was shot dead in a gunfight.
They found him dead.
The rascal struck him dead.
A bullet struck him dead.
They supposed him dead.
They are going to erect a monument in memory of the dead.
We must finish the work of the dead.
The villagers were weeping over the dead.
To judge from the present information, the dead was still alive at three o'clock.
You're not coming with us, so drop dead!
He was dead tired.
He was dead asleep.
I'm dead sure.
You are dead right.
I was dead drunk yesterday evening.
I don't know how Ann stands for her husband's behaviour; he comes home dead drunk nearly every night.
I'm dead keen on Chinese paintings.
The stranger was dead ahead.
Close the door, please.The wind is blowing dead against me.
The man is dead against me for some reason or the other.
Someone is dead against your plan.
His shot was dead on target.
God heavens, it's dead on eight.I'm only just in time.
The deputation to see the Prime Minister arrived dead on time and was received at once.
- as dead as a dodo
绝种的; 完全过时的 extinct; obsolete
Fashion experts say that long shirts are as dead as a dodo this year. 时尚专家说,今年长裙子不时兴了。
A s a mode of transport the sedan chair is as dead as a dodo. 作为一种交通工具,轿子已完全过时了。
- 绝种的; 完全过时的 extinct; obsolete
- as dead as a doornail
He drove into a tree at over a hundred miles an huor and was as dead as a doornail. 他以每小时100英里的速度驾车,结果撞在一棵树上,一命呜呼。
The man lay there.He was as dead as a doornail. 那个人倒在那儿,他已死了。
- 〈口〉确信无疑地死了 dead
- at a dead end
无法进展下去 not going on
After days of arguing, the peace talks are now at a dead end. 在几天的辩论之后和平谈判无法进行下去。
His research was at a dead end. 他的研究无法进行下去。
Even though your research appears to be at a dead end now, you shouldn't lose heart but keep on trying. 即使你们的研究现在似乎没有什么进展,你们还是不应该泄气,而要继续进行下去。
- 无法进展下去 not going on
- dead above ears
没有头脑 without thoughts
Jack is dead above ears and often gets into trouble. 杰克没有头脑,常常惹出乱子。
- 没有头脑 without thoughts
- dead and buried
Linda and Tina were again on speaking terms, their disagreement was dead and buried. 琳达和蒂娜关系又和好了,他们的分歧早已烟消云散了。
- 完全忘却 forgotten
- dead and gone
已死去 been dead
The old man was very lonely because so many of his friends were now dead and gone. 那个老人很孤独,因为他的许多朋友现在都已不在人世。
- 已死去 been dead
- dead certainty
确信无疑 absolute certainty
It's a dead certainty that the Tories will be re-elected. 托利党将进行重新选举,是确信无疑的事。
That horse is a dead certainty. 那匹马必赢无疑。
- 确信无疑 absolute certainty
- dead from the neck up
My new girlfriend may have a nice figure but unfortunately she's dead from the neck up. 我的新女朋友也许有很好的体形,但遗憾的是她很笨。
- 〈美俚〉愚蠢的 foolish
- dead loss
That new film is a dead loss; it's a waste of money going to see it. 那部新电影全是垃圾,去看也是浪费钱财。
- 垃圾 useless
- dead man's shoes
待某人死后或退休后继承职位 job opportunity provided by sb's death or retirement
The junior executive was impatient for promotion but knew that he would only get it by stepping into a dead man's shoes. 这位下级行政管员急不可待地想晋升,但他知道只有待某人退休后接替其职位,才能获得晋升。
- 待某人死后或退休后继承职位 job opportunity provided by sb's death or retirement
- dead on one's feet
累得不能再做 too tired to do more
Jimmy never leaves a job unfinished.He continues to work even when he's dead on his feet. 吉米每做一件事一定要做完,即使他已累得不得了,他还继续做。
- 累得不能再做 too tired to do more
- dead ringer
看上去一模一样的人 a person who looks exactly the same
That man on the other side of the road is a dead ringer for Ronald Reagan. 在路那边的那个人酷似罗纳德·里根。
- 看上去一模一样的人 a person who looks exactly the same
- dead to all feeling
麻木不仁 so callous as to be past feeling
I once heard of a youth who was so dead to all right feeling that he would not pay for medicine. 我有一次听到一个年轻人非常麻木不仁,甚至不给他生病的父亲付医药费。
That girl is dead to your feeling. 那女孩对你的钟情无动于衷。
- 麻木不仁 so callous as to be past feeling
- dead to rights
无法逃避的谴责 without a chance of escaping blame
Mother had Bob dead to rights, because she caught him with his hand in the biscuits. 鲍勃无法逃避责备,因为他正伸手拿饼干的时候被母亲抓住了。
- 无法逃避的谴责 without a chance of escaping blame
- dead to the world
沉睡的; 不省人事的 fast sleep; unconscious
Exhausted by their exploits that day the two boys had supper and fell asleep, dead to the world. 那天这两个男孩的英勇行为使他们疲劳不堪,他们吃完晚饭倒头就睡,而且睡得很沉。
He is dead to the world. 他对世事不闻不问。
- 沉睡的; 不省人事的 fast sleep; unconscious
- dead wood
无用人员 useless person
The management decided to economize by cutting the dead wood from the workforce, thus reducing the wages bill. 资方决定节省开支,裁减劳动力中的冗员,这样可以减少工资支出。
- 无用人员 useless person
- make a dead set at
蓄意攻击; 力图谋得宠爱 purposefully attack〔approach〕
Norman made a dead set at me as soon as I entered the room and gave me some very interesting news. 我一走进房间,诺曼就告诉我一些非常有趣的消息,力图赢得我的欢心。
- 蓄意攻击; 力图谋得宠爱 purposefully attack〔approach〕
- over one's dead body
不顾某人的坚决反对 only if one's most vigorous opposition fails
Over my dead body she is! 你怎么敢说你母亲要来小住一周?除非我死,否则她休想来!
Over my dead body.That's one sport I'm definite he's not going in for. 说什么我也不同意,这是我坚决反对他参加的唯一的一项体育运动。
- 不顾某人的坚决反对 only if one's most vigorous opposition fails
- rise from the dead
死后复生 come back to life after death
Jones had disappeared at sea a week before, now here he was, as if risen from the dead. 琼斯一个星期前在海上失踪,现在他又出现在这里,真是死后复生。
- 死后复生 come back to life after death
- catch dead
看见或听见令人难堪的举止 see or hear in an embarrassing act or place at any time
You won't catch him dead doing any house work. 你不会遇见他做家务的情况。
- 看见或听见令人难堪的举止 see or hear in an embarrassing act or place at any time
- cut dead
假装看不见 pretend not to see cut sb dead
I've just been cut dead in the street by an old friend.刚才在街上有个老朋友看见我却假装没看见。
- 假装看不见 pretend not to see cut sb dead
- dead beat
The long-distance runner was dead beat as he crossed the finishing line. 长跑运动员在冲过终点线时已筋疲力尽。
I can't go any farther.I'm dead beat. 我再也走不动了,疲倦极了。
- 〈口〉筋疲力尽的 exhausted
- go dead
不工作 cease working
The telephone has gone dead. 电话不通了。
I was talking to my brother on the telephone when suddenly the line went dead. 我与弟弟通电话时,突然断线了。
- 不工作 cease working
- refuse to〔wouldn't〕 be seen dead
〈口〉厌恶,宁死也不要 be too shamed; be embarrassed to do sth
I refuse to be seen dead with my brother after what he has done. 我弟弟干了那件事后,我真厌恶与他在一起。
What an old-fashioned coat!I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that. 这外衣太老式了!我宁死也不穿。
- 〈口〉厌恶,宁死也不要 be too shamed; be embarrassed to do sth
- stop dead
突然停止不动 stop suddenly
He stopped dead. 他突然停了下来。
When I saw Dan on the street,I was so surprised and stopped dead. 我在街上看到丹时,惊奇得站在那里不动了。
The pickpocket stopped dead when he saw the policeman. 那小偷看到警察时突然停了下来。
The horse stopped dead and threw its rider over the gate. 那匹马突然停了下来,把骑手摔出了大门。
For some reason, at ten o'clock my watch stopped dead. 不知什么原因,我的表10点钟时突然停了。
- 突然停止不动 stop suddenly
- dead account 死账
- dead air 广播停止期间
- dead angle 死角
- dead beat 非周期的,无振荡的
- dead block 缓冲板
- dead calms 极平静
- dead capital 非流动资本
- dead cat 猛烈的指责
- dead centre 死点,静点
- dead certainty 确信无疑
- dead clothes 寿衣
- dead coal 不成焦煤
- dead colour 暗色
- dead contact 空接点
- dead cotton 不能染色的纤维
- dead dog 已经失去价值或重要性的人或事物
- dead door 假门
- dead duck 失去使用价值的人物
- dead earth 固定接地,直通地
- dead end 死巷,僵局
- dead failure 完全失败
- dead fall 捕兽陷阱
- dead fingers 麻木的手指
- dead finish 无法通过的丛林
- dead fire 桅头电光
- dead flat 船的中部
- dead floor 隔音地板
- dead gold 无光泽的金
- dead ground 无矿岩层,射击死角
- dead hand 永远营业
- dead heat 同时到达终点的比赛
- dead hole 死洞
- dead horse 预付的工资,旧债
- dead hour 深夜
- dead house 太平间
- dead labour 无生命的劳动力
- dead letter 无法投递的信件
- dead level 静态
- dead lift 全力以赴地工作
- dead light 关死的天窗
- dead loss 糟粕
- dead mail 无法投递的信件
- dead march 送葬曲
- dead matter 无机物
- dead money 为死者举行弥撒所付的款
- dead number 一条街道的末一号
- dead oil 重油
- dead oil well 废油井
- dead pan 无表情的面孔
- dead picture 呆板的画
- dead reckoning 推测,推算
- dead secret 未泄漏的秘密
- dead season 淡季
- dead shot 神枪手
- dead soil 贫瘠的土地
- dead space 静区,死水域
- dead spot 死点,盲区
- dead stop 完全停止
- dead time 空载时间
- dead wall 暗墙
- dead wind 逆风
- dead wood 无用人员
- dead work 尚在手中未完成的工作
- dead zone 空区,恒域
- dead from starvation 饿死
- dead of a disease 病死
- dead of a heart attack 因心脏病发作而死亡
- dead to 对…无感觉的,对…无反应的
- dead to all sense of shame 全无羞耻之心
- dead to pity 麻木不仁
- dead to the world 在酣睡
- dead with cold 冻得失去知觉
The dead are the victims of the living.出自：I. Murdoch
Even the dead were washed out of their graves.出自：J. C. Oates
He was shot dead.出自：Defoe
Macbean..is dead of a suppression of urine.出自：S. Johnson
A semi-circle of drive..littered with dead leaves.出自：Day Lewis
- dead, deadly
- Dead men tell no tales.
- Cancer is a deadly disease.
- a dead house 太平房
- a death house 死囚牢
- dead, deadly
- You are dead right.
- He looks deadly serious.
- dead deadly
- dead:dead意思是“死的”、“已死去的”（no longer living）；用作副词时，其意为“完全地”、“非常地”，如：dead drunk； dead tired； dead dull； dead right.
- He is dead.
- I found a dog howling over the dead body.
- The baby was born dead.
- He was dead drunk in the New Year Eve party.
- I'm dead tired!
- deadly:deadly用作形容词时，其意为“致命的”：“不共戴天的”（likely to cause death or filled with intense hatred）。与之经常搭配使用的词有：poison、weapon、wound、enemy。deadly用作副词时，也是表示“非常”、“极其”的意思，一般用于负面意义，相当于very much和extremely.
- Be careful!This is a deadly poison.
- He is our deadly enemy.
- His face turned deadly pale.
- The show is deadly boring.
误 He was dead two years ago.
正 He died two years ago.
正 He has been dead for two years.
- ☆ 直接源自中语古英的ded；最初源自语古英的dead，意为死。
- dead:dead adj. 死的, 无感觉的, 呆板的, 不流动的, (语言、习惯)废弃了的, 熄灭的n. 死者adv. 完全地, 绝对的, 突然的 英英解释:名词dead:1. people who are…