- [C]地方,场所,所在地 particular area or position in space occupied by sb/sth
- [C]城,村,镇 city, village, town, etc.
- [C]建筑物,场所 building or area of land used for a particular purpose or where sth occurs
- [C]某点,某处,某段落 particular spot or area on a surface; particular passage or point in a book, etc.
- [C]座位,位置 seat or position
- [S]等级,地位,身份 rank, position or role in society
- [C]职位,职务,学习的机会 position or office, especially as an employee; opportunity to study at a school or university
- [C]自然或恰当的位置〔地方〕 natural or suitable position〔location〕
- [C]位 position of a figure after a decimal point, etc.
- [S]名次 position among the first three, especially second or third
- [C]房子; 家 house; home
- vt. 放置,安排 put or arrange in the stated position
- vt. 使…处于某处境或环境 put (sb) in the situation or circumstances
- vt. 定名次 state the position of (a runner or a race, etc.)
- vt. 辨认 identify (sb/sth) by using one's memory or past experience
- vt. 评价,分类 make a judgement about sb/sth in comparison with others
- vt. 发订单; 打赌 give (an order or a bet) to a person or firm
- a point located with respect to surface features of some region;
"this is a nice place for a picnic"
"a bright spot on a planet"
- any area set aside for a particular purpose;
"who owns this place?"
"the president was concerned about the property across from the White House"
- an abstract mental location;
"he has a special place in my thoughts"
"a place in my heart"
"a political system with no place for the less prominent groups"
- a general vicinity;
"He comes from a place near Chicago"
- the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another;
"can you go in my stead?"
"took his place"
"in lieu of"
- a particular situation;
"If you were in my place what would you do?"
- where you live at a particular time;
"deliver the package to my home"
"he doesn't have a home to go to"
"your place or mine?"
- a job in an organization;
"he occupied a post in the treasury"
- the particular portion of space occupied by something;
"he put the lamp back in its place"
- proper or designated social situation;
"he overstepped his place"
"the responsibilities of a man in his station"
"married above her station"
- a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane);
"he booked their seats in advance"
"he sat in someone else's place"
- the passage that is being read;
"he lost his place on the page"
- proper or appropriate position or location;
"a woman's place is no longer in the kitchen"
- a public square with room for pedestrians;
"they met at Elm Plaza"
- an item on a list or in a sequence;
"in the second place"
"moved from third to fifth position"
- a blank area;
"write your name in the space provided"
- put into a certain place or abstract location;
"Put your things here"
"Set the tray down"
"Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"
"Place emphasis on a certain point"
- place somebody in a particular situation or location;
"he was placed on probation"
- assign a rank or rating to;
"how would you rank these students?"
"The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
- assign a location to;
"The company located some of their agents in Los Angeles"
- to arrange for;
"place a phone call"
"place a bet"
- take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal;
"Jerry came in third in the Marathon"
- intend (something) to move towards a certain goal;
"He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"
"criticism directed at her superior"
"direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
- recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something;
"She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"
- assign to (a job or a home)
"The film is set in Africa"
"We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
- identify the location or place of;
"We localized the source of the infection"
- make an investment;
"Put money into bonds"
- assign to a station
- finish second or better in a horse or dog race;
"he bet $2 on number six to place"
- sing a note with the correct pitch
- We must find a place for this new picture.
- Social science affirms that a woman's place in society marks the level of civilization.
- Geoffrey Chaucer occupies a unique place in English literature .
- She hopes to get a place in the Civil Service.
- I won the first place in the English Oratorical Contest of our university in 1994.
- He placed the books in order on the shelf.
- You place me in a very difficult position.
- If your orice are reasonable, I can place the oder right away.
- She has a foreign accent that I can't quite place.
- She was placed third.
This is the place where the storm hit.
They met at the agreed place.
We must find a place for this new picture.
There are many places of historic interest in Xi'an.
There's a bird's nest in the place where the branch forks.
He likes to go to places of amusement.
He can usually be contacted at his place of business.
Come round to my place one evening.
They've bought a charming place in the country.
Her leg fractured in two places.
I lost my last place.
This is the place where the story gets most exciting.
You two boys exchange places.
Keep a place for me in the reading room.
A tidy person likes to have a place for everything and everything in its place.
After you finished, put everything back in its place again.
I was asked to put it back to its place.
There will be a place for you here if you decide to come back.
Sports never had an important place in his life.
The famous general is sure of a place in history.
Correct the result to five decimal places.
He got the first place this time, but he never dreamed about it.
The losing semi-finalists will play off for the third place.
Can you place these homeless children?
The man seemed familiar, but I could not quite place him.
I remember her name but can't place her.
Place your bets now—the race begins in half an hour!
The seats were placed so that we could admire the view.
My horse wasn't even placed.
Place the girl as a typist.
They placed him as minister of the church.
Just as I placed the telephone receiver down, the doorbell rang.
That autumn he was placed as the commander of a regiment.
He was placed in Xin Hua News Agency as a translator.
He has been placed as the head of his department.
Isn't that picture placed too high?
Don't place the bottle near the fire.
Place the ladder against the wall.
I would place her among the best singers in Britain.
He placed unreservedly all the data he has collected at my disposal.
- all over the place
到处 here and there
I've been all over the place to find you. 我一直在到处找你。
Where have you been?I've been looking for you all over the place. 你刚才在哪里?让我到处找你。
- 到处 here and there
- be sb's place
尽某人的义务 be sb's duty
It's not your place to tell me how to do my job. 你没有义务教训我怎样做。
- 尽某人的义务 be sb's duty
- fall into place
变得有条不紊; 开始有头绪 take up its proper position; begin to make sense in relationship to each other
To begin with I did not understand the judge's decision but when I read the reports of the case everything fell into place. 最初,我不理解法官的判决,但在我读了这个案件的报告后,一切都清楚了。
- 变得有条不紊; 开始有头绪 take up its proper position; begin to make sense in relationship to each other
- from place to place
Our customs vary from place to place. 我们的风俗习惯各不相同。
In the evening of his life he travelled from place to place. 在晚年他到处旅游。
- 各地,处处 everywhere
- give place to
让位给…,把座位让给… be superseded by sth/sb
Over a period of only a few years, the slide rule gave place to the electronic calculator. 只经过了几年,计算尺就被电子计算器代替了。
The sun rose slowly over the horizon and night gave place to day. 太阳慢慢地从地平线上升起,夜晚过去了。
- 让位给…,把座位让给… be superseded by sth/sb
- go places
Once I'm qualified in my profession I intend to go places. 一旦我有资格从事自己的职业,我就想获得成功。
We have every reason to expect him to go places in business. 我们有充分的理由认为他在生意上会有成就。
- 获得成功 succeed
- in high places
身居高位; 身居要职 in a position of authority〔power〕
Most people enjoy reading about deceit and dishonesty in high places. 多数人喜欢阅读有关上流阶层中尔虞我诈的作品。
Nigel usually gets what he wants, because it seems he still has friends in high places. 奈吉尔通常想要什么就能得到什么,因为他似乎仍有几个朋友身居要职。
- 身居高位; 身居要职 in a position of authority〔power〕
- in place
在对的位置,在适当的位置 where sth belongs
I like to have everything in place. 我喜欢一切都在其适当的位置。
They put in place the tools of my new business. 他们把我做这一新行当所需要的用具安放得井井有条。
The proposal is not quite in place. 那个提议并不十分适当。
I think an expression of thanks to our host would be in place. 我觉得向主人表示一下谢意才是得体的。
- 在对的位置,在适当的位置 where sth belongs
- in place of
代替 instead of
Even grafting new blood vessels in place of the diseased coronary arteries has been tried. 甚至移植新血管代替不健康的冠状动脉的方法都已经试过。
The agency has rung up.Do you want another girl sent along in place of Miss Lewis? 办事处已来过电话,你想让他们派另外一个姑娘来代替刘易斯小姐吗?
- 代替 instead of
- in the first place
首先,从一开始 firstly; from the beginning
Why did you choose the basketball in the first place? 你为何首先选择篮球呢?
You're not eating your dinner looking like that.In the first place,I think you should go and have a wash. 你不应该像这样去吃饭,我想首先你应该去洗一洗。
I knew Sandra would be a nuisance—I didn't want her to come in the first place. 我感到桑得拉会是个讨厌鬼——从一开始我就不愿意她来。
- 首先,从一开始 firstly; from the beginning
- know one's place
知道怎样去做 behave in a way that is appropriate to one's position
I know my place and I wouldn't presume to tell an expert how to do his job. 我知道我该怎样去做,我不会冒昧地去指挥一个行家的工作。
Some people think that employees should know their place and never speak rudely to their bosses. 有些人认为雇员们应该知道自己的地位,对老板说话不得无礼。
- 知道怎样去做 behave in a way that is appropriate to one's position
- out of place
不在应在的位置,不在适当的位置 where sth doesn't belong
The teacher lined up the class and told them not to get out of place. 老师把全班排好队,告诉学生不要离开原地。
Some of these books are out of place.Please put them in right order. 有些书位置不对,请把它们按顺序放好。
不合适; 不恰当 unsuitable
His remarks are out of place. 他的话讲得不适当。
It was out of place for Russel to laugh at the old lady. 鲁塞尔嘲笑那位老妇人是不恰当的。
不协调,格格不入 not in a concerted way
She was out of place in the midst of the church. 处在教会人士当中她感到格格不入。
I felt out of place among foreigners. 在外国人当中我感到不自在。
A prize fighter feels somewhat out of place at a literary tea. 一个优秀拳击手在文学茶话会上感到不自在。
She can't speak Spanish, so she felt a bit out of place among a group of Latin American visitors. 她不会讲西班牙语,因此在一群拉丁美洲的参观者面前感到很不自在。
- 不在应在的位置,不在适当的位置 where sth doesn't belong
- place in the sun
〈非正〉显要的地位,有利位置 a position that is favourable to one's future development
After he worked there for three years, they decided it was time to give him a place in the sun. 他在那里工作3年之后,他们认为该给他一个好职务了。
The labouring man has been struggling to achieve a place in the sun. 这个劳动者一直在为改善境遇而斗争。
- 〈非正〉显要的地位,有利位置 a position that is favourable to one's future development
- pride of place
最好〔最显著〕的地位 best〔most〕 prominent place
His darts trophy takes pride of place on the mantelpiece. 他将掷镖奖杯放在壁炉顶上最显著的地方。
- 最好〔最显著〕的地位 best〔most〕 prominent place
- put in one's place
提醒某人注意自己的位置 remind sb of one's position put sb in one's place
They started to criticize the way in which I had arranged everything, but I put them in their place soon.他们对我安排所有事情的方式提出批评,但我很快就让他们安分守己了。
- 提醒某人注意自己的位置 remind sb of one's position put sb in one's place
- put in sb's place
设身处地为某人着想 consider for the sake of sb and try to share one's feelings put oneself in sb's place
Put yourself in my place; what should I have done?请你设身处地为我想想,我又能做什么?
I went to the check-out and the girl added up the price of all the goods, and then I discovered I'd left my purse at home.Put yourself in my place; what would you have done?我走到柜台前,一位姑娘为我把各种物品的价格加了起来,就在这时我突然发现我把钱包忘在家里了,你设身处地为我想想,该怎么办呢?
- 设身处地为某人着想 consider for the sake of sb and try to share one's feelings put oneself in sb's place
- take one's place
就座 take one's seat
I took my place at the table. 我入席就座。
As the driver took his place on the stage everybody clapped. 当这位司机在台上就座的时候,大家都鼓掌欢迎。
“Shall we take our places at the table?” says the hostess to her guests. “我们入席吧!”女主人对她的客人说道。
- 就座 take one's seat
- take place
发生; 举行 happen; occur; hold on
The accident took place only a few yards from the small shop. 事故发生在离小店只有几码远的地方。
Great changes have taken place in China since 1978.1978 年以来中国发生了巨大的变化。
The threatened strike did not take place after all. 可能来临的罢工终究没有发生。
As fall turns into winter, other changes will take place. 随着秋去冬来,还会发生其他变化。
The evening party will take place on New Year's Eve. 晚会将在除夕举行。
An official inquiry into the cause of the accident will take place in Liverpool on January 3rd. 对事故起因的正式调查将于一月三日在利物浦进行。
Elections take place every four years and Congress meets once a year. 每隔四年进行一次选举,国会一年开一次会。
- 发生; 举行 happen; occur; hold on
- take sb's place
替代某人 replace sb
Who's taking my place? 谁来接替我?
I had to go out so Jane took my place at the meeting. 我得外出,因此简代替我去参加了会议。
He took my place in the queue so that I could go and get something to eat. 他替我排队,这样我可以去吃点东西。
- 替代某人 replace sb
- take the place of
代替 act as a substitute for sb/sth
It would be difficult to find a man to take the place of the secretary. 找一个代替秘书的人会很难的。
Electric trains have now taken the place of steam trains in England. 现在在英国,电气火车已经代替了蒸汽火车。
Warm air going up, heavy cool air moves in to take the place of it. 热空气上升时,大量的冷空气填充了它的位置。
- 代替 act as a substitute for sb/sth
- place in (v.+prep.)
把…放入; 存款 put sb/sth in a place place sb/sth in sb/sth
He came in swiftly and placed the child in my arms.他匆忙走进来把孩子放到我怀里。
The old man placed ￡100 in the bank.老人将100英镑存入银行。用于be ～ed结构
He was placed in a boarding school.他被安置在一所寄宿学校里。
任命…担任 arrange sb in a position place sb/sth in sth 用于be ～ed结构
The ship was placed in the command of Captain Smith.这船由史密斯上校指挥。
He was highly placed in the English Government service.他在英国政府部门担任高级职务。
使…处于 cause sb to be in some state place sb/oneself in sth
They have thus placed themselves in opposition to the people.他们就这样使自己处于同人民对立的位置。
I am placing you in charge.我让你负责。
相信; 寄希望于… trust; depend on sb/sth place sth in sb/sth
I place all my trust in you.我对你完全信任。
Don't place any confidence in that man.不要相信那个人。
His parents placed great hopes in him.他的父母对他寄予很大希望。
- 把…放入; 存款 put sb/sth in a place place sb/sth in sb/sth
- place on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
把…放在…上; 把…强加于… put sb/sth in a place; force acceptance of (sth such as responsibility) on (sb/sth) place sth on〔upon〕 sb/sth
She placed the handkerchief on a piece of paper to dry on the radiator.她把手帕放在一张纸上放到暖气上去烘干。
He placed his cap and overcoat on a chair.他把帽子和大衣放在一把椅子上。
He placed the book on the shelf.他把书放在书架上。
He placed the TV set carefully on the table and paid out the wire.他小心地把电视机放在桌上,把电线一点点拉了出来。
He placed the blame on his wife.他归咎于他的妻子。用于be ～ed结构
That picture was placed too high on the wall.那幅画在墙上挂得太高了。
The blame should be placed upon Bob.应该责怪鲍勃才是。
重视; 着眼 be important for sb place sth on sb/sth
Parents place great hopes on us.父母对我们寄予很大的希望。
Keep the people in mind and place hopes on them.着眼于人民,寄希望于人民。
Do you place much reliance on your doctor?你很信任你的医生吗?
On the elementary stage of studying a foreign language the students should place a great deal of importance on correct grammar.在学习外语的初级阶段,学生应非常重视语法的正确性。
In recent years our country has placed great importance on economic construction.近几年来我们国家非常重视经济建设。
使…不胜负荷 make (usually sb) suffer from hard work or use place a strain on sb
All this is placing a great strain on him.所有这些工作使他不堪重负。用于be ～ed结构
A sudden and severe strain was placed on them by the cutting off of oil supplies.由于石油供应切断,他们突然处于极度紧张之中。
施加压力; 迫使 urge strongly place pressure on sb
He failed to finish the plan.So they place great pressure on him to resign.他没完成计划,因此他们对他大施压力逼他辞职。
Her parents placed pressure on her because she fell in love with a poor fellow.由于她与一个贫穷的小伙子相爱,她父母向她施加压力。
- 把…放在…上; 把…强加于… put sb/sth in a place; force acceptance of (sth such as responsibility) on (sb/sth) place sth on〔upon〕 sb/sth
- place under (v.+prep.)
照顾 watch sb closely place sb under sth
He placed his little son under the care of his aunt.他把小儿子托给其姨妈照管。
You can place the boy under the care of your neighbour.你可以把孩子交给你邻居照料。
She placed herself under the protection of the police.她把自己置于警方的保护之下。
- 照顾 watch sb closely place sb under sth
- place with (v.+prep.)
向…发订单 give an order to a person or firm place sth with sb
They have placed an order with us for three new aircraft.他们向我们订购了三架新飞机。
- 向…发订单 give an order to a person or firm place sth with sb
- assign place 指定座位
- book place 预订座位
- change place 换位置
- earn place 赢得地位
- establish place 确立地位
- fill place 继承职位
- gain place 获得位置
- give place to 让位给,由…继续下去,被…代替,给…机会
- give up place 放弃位置
- go place 获得成功
- hold place 占有地位
- keep place 保持地位
- know place 了解地位,识分寸,不越位
- lay place for sb 给某人安排席位
- leave some place 离开某地〔某个位子〕
- lose place 失去地位
- maintain place 保持地位
- make place 腾出地方
- make place for 让位于…,为…腾出地方
- occupy place 占据地方
- resign place 辞去职位
- set place for sb 给某人安排席位
- take place 发生,举行,产生,就座
- take place of sb 代替某人,接替某人的位置
- take one's place 取而代之
- trade place 交换位置
- win place 赢得位置
- central place 中心位置
- chief place 首要位置
- conspicuous place 显眼的位置
- cool place 阴凉的地方
- distant place 遥远的地方
- front place 前面的位置
- honoured place 荣誉地位
- ideal place 理想的场所
- important place 重要的地方〔位置〕
- inexpensive place 收费不多的地方
- inland place 内陆地方
- interesting places 名胜
- leading place 领导地位,领导岗位
- lonely place 荒凉的地方
- lovely place 令人喜欢的地方
- many places 许多地方
- native place 出生地,籍贯
- neighbouring place 邻近一带
- old place 老地方
- out-of-way place 偏僻的地方
- permanent place 永久的席位
- private place 私人的地方,僻静的地方
- prominent place 显著的地位
- public place 公共场所
- reduced place 削弱了的地位
- same place 老地方
- shady place 阴凉的地方
- sore place 伤痛的地方
- the cheapest place 最便宜的地方
- tight place 困境
- amusement place 娱乐场
- breeding place 野生动物繁殖后代的地方
- hiding place 藏身之地
- meeting place 会议地点
- parking place 停车的地方
- storage place 贮藏室
- place card (宴席的)座位牌
- all over place 到处
- at some place 在某地点
- from place to place 处处,各处
- in place 在适当的位置上,在某一阶段,适当的,处处
- in place of 代替
- in the first place 起初,首先
- in the last place 最后
- in the next place 其次
- in the second place 第二
- out of place 不得其所的,不合适的,不相称的
- be no place for 没有…的余地
- place for meeting 会场
- place for sports 运动场地
- place in literature 文学地位
- place of business 营业处
- place of call 常去的地方
- place of origin 出生地,籍贯
- place carefully 小心地放
- place fairly 合理地安置
- place firmly 牢牢地放
- place properly 适当地安排
- place respectfully 体面地安排
- place symmetrically 对称地放
First he shot down Raglan Road and then he tore up Marlborough Place.出自：Joyce
Lord Russell was..placed under arrest.出自：J. A. Froude
Vine had placed Margery in front of him.出自：T. Hardy
Placed a flower in a vase.出自：J. Steinbeck
Take the coffin..and place it on the trestles.出自：A. Bleasdale
You remember the place we had lunch?
More formal: the place we had lunch at?
place的常用短语有in place of相当于in stead of，表示“代替”。take the place of也可指“代替”，但是“take place”表示“发生”。
Who will take the place of Mr. James?
- Place还有“广场”“山庄”的意思,多用单数形式,尤用于英国。例如:Langham Place兰厄姆广场; Wakehurst Place韦克赫斯特山庄。
- 在美国口语中, any place, everyplace, no place和someplace常可用来代替anywhere, everywhere, nowhere和somewhere。
- take place, take one's place, take sb else's place, take the place of
这四者意思不同:take place着重指经过安排或计划后出现的情况,表示“发生,举行”; take one's place表示“就席,到某人应去的位置上”,而其中的one与句中的主语是指同一个人; take sb else's place表示“代替,接替某人的职务或工作”,而其中的sb else与句子的主语是指不同的一个人; take the place of表示“代替,接替”,侧重于前者代替后者,并不含有对后者的否定,只是一种交换、代替的关系,其中的定冠词the不可丢。例如:The general strike took place in 1923.那次大罢工发生在1923年。Now, everybody takes their place.The show will begin in a minute.好了,大家各就各位,演出马上就要开始了。Prof. White is away on business.So I am taking his place.怀特教授因事外出,我现在代替他的职务。Plastics has taken the place of many materials.塑料已经取代了许多材料。
- in place of, instead of
这两个短语都有“代替”的意思。其区别在于:in place of表示某一人或事物代替另一人或事物,其后接被代替的对象,一般是名词或名词的同等成分; instead of的含义是“某一人或事物,而不是另一人或事物”,所以常有否定后面成分的意思。例如:The Chinese use chopsticks in place of forks and knives中国人吃饭用筷子,而不用刀叉。That increased instead of decreased our courage.那不但没有减弱我们的勇气,反而增强了我们的勇气。
- place, locality
这两个词的共同意思是“地点”。其区别在于:1.locality常表示事件发生处; place既可指较笼统的范围,又可指具体的某一地点或位置。例如:It was the locality of the crime.这就是犯罪现场。John competed for a place at the school, but didn't get in.约翰想在学校里占有一席之地,但并未成功。2.place的使用范围较广,但指“地区、地带”时, locality比place所指的范围大。例如:The entire locality has been affected by the new motorway.整个地区都受到了新高速公路的影响。Tom floated from place to place.汤姆到处游荡。
- place, location, position
这两个词都可表示“放置”。其区别是：position更着重在放置时很注意、很小心; 如果仅仅表示“放置”,最好用place。例如:You must position the aerial for the best reception.你一定要把天线安装在接收效果最好的位置。Be sure to place them correctly.务必把这些东西放对地方。
- place, job, position, work
这组词的共同意思是“工作”。其区别是：1.place主要指“公职”; position主要指白领阶层有身份的工作。例如:It's not your place to tell me what to do.你无权吩咐我做什么。He applied for the position of assistant manager.他申请经理助理一职。2.work和job都指一般的工作。job可数,而work不可数; job是有薪酬的,而work有无报酬均可; job常指临时性的工作,而work则相对固定些; job不一定需要技术或经过训练,而work则包括体力、脑力、技术性、非技术性等所有工作,尤指需作出努力来完成的工作; job与“失业”相对, work与“休息”相对。例如:I have a lot of work to do this evening.今晚我有很多的工作要做。What time do you go to work every day?你每天几点上班?
- place, room
这两个词都可作“地方”“空地”解。其区别在于:place是可数名词,指某人或某物所占的特定的空间; room是不可数名词,指足够某一目的所需的空间,侧重大小、尺寸等。例如:This is the place where we can play tennis.这是我们打网球的地方。There is a lot of room to play tennis.有足够的空地打网球。
- place, site
这两个词都有“场所”的意思。其区别在于:place为普通用语,使用较广,既可指较笼统的范围,又可指明确、具体的某一地点、位置及空间或身体的某一部位; site多指建筑的场所,也指较大的事件发生的场地。例如:Would you like to exchange places with me?I don't think you're comfortable in that seat, are you?你愿意跟我换一下地方吗?我想你坐在那个座位不舒服,对吧?A Neolithic site was recently discovered in Inner Mongolia.最近在内蒙古发现了一处新石器时代遗址。
- place, lay, put, set
这组词的共同意思是“放置”。其区别是：lay强调把某物放置或使某物处于水平位置;而set指使某物处于直立的位置;put强调把某物移进或移出某处或某位置,或使处于某种地位、情况或关系的动作;place则不强调动作,而强调某一确定的地点或情况。例如:You placed me in a difficult position.你使我陷入了窘境。I put the suitcase on the table.我把手提箱搁在桌上。They were setting the table for dinner.他们正在摆餐具准备开饭。
- place, position
这两个词都可表示“放置”。其区别是：position更着重在放置时很注意、很小心; 如果仅仅表示“放置”,最好用place。例如:You must position the aerial for the best reception.你一定要把天线安装在接收效果最好的位置。Be sure to place them correctly.务必把这些东西放对地方。
- lay place put set
- place position post situation
- place position spot situation site location locality setting scene
- room place space
- room:room有两层含义，一为“房间”，是可数名词；二表示人或物体所占的“空间或场所”、处事的“余地”等意思，是不可数名词，可用little，much，no，plenty等词修饰。可构成make room for给......让出地方；take up room占地方；leave room for留出空间给......等短语。
- There is room in improvement in your work.
- place:place指人们从事各种活动的“地方，场所，位置”，是可数名词，常用的短语有take one’s place就坐，入席；in place在适当的位置。
- Wuhan is a hot place in summer.
- There isn’t space in the classroom for thirty desks．
误 He and his wife travel from place to another every year.
正 He and his wife travel from place to place every year.
正 He and his wife travel from one place to another every year.
析 表示“从一处到另一处”,应为from place to place或from one place to another,其中another是指another place,而不能说from place to another。
误 Now we often use plastics in the place of wood or metal to make many different things.
正 Now we often use plastics in place of wood or metal to make many different things.
误 Nylon has taken place of cotton in making some textiles.
正 Nylon has taken the place of cotton in making some textiles.
析 习语in place of中的place前无冠词,但在take the place of中, place前面的定冠词不可缺少。
误 The wedding was taken place last Sunday.
正 The wedding took place last Sunday.
析 take place相当于不及物动词,其后不能接宾语,也不能用于被动结构。
错句：the teacher said that there was place for improvement in his work.
纠正：the teacher said that there was room for improvement in his work.
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的plcae；最初源自中世纪低地德语的plcaea，意为放置。
- place:place n. 地方, 地点, 位置, 职位, 处境, 住所, 地位vt. 放置, 寄予, 任命vi. 名次列前 英英解释:名词place:1. a point located with respe…