- n. 四分之一；一刻钟；一季；25美分；区；方向
- v. 四等分
- adj. 四分之一的
- 将（不同套的纹章）置于四分之一盾面上， 将加在盾面上
- [C]四分之一 a fourth part of a whole
- [C]一刻钟,十五分钟 15 minutes before or after an hour
- [C]两角五分的硬币,四分之一元 25 cents; fourth parts of a dollar
- [C]三个月,一个季度 three months, especially used for making payments
- [P]住处,营房 accommodation, especially for soldiers
- [C]方向; 地区,城镇的一部分 direction; district; part of a town
- [C]人,团体 person or group of people
- [C]上弦或下弦; 太阴月的四分之一 one fourth of a lunar month; position of the moon at the end of the first and third of these
- [U]慈悲,宽恕 mercy shown towards an enemy who has surrendered or to an opponent who is in one's power
- vt. 把…四等分 cut or divide into four parts
- vt. 使(士兵)驻扎,供…住宿 provide lodgings for (especially soldiers)
one of four equal parts;
"a quarter of a pound"
a district of a city having some distinguishing character;
"the Latin Quarter"
(football, professional basketball) one of four divisions into which some games are divided;
"both teams scored in the first quarter"
a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour;
"it's a quarter til 4"
"a quarter after 4 o'clock"
one of four periods into which the school year is divided;
"the fall quarter ends at Christmas"
a fourth part of a year; three months;
"unemployment fell during the last quarter"
one of the four major division of the compass;
"the wind is coming from that quarter"
a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
a United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar;
"he fed four quarters into the slot machine"
an unspecified person;
"he dropped a word in the right quarter"
the rear part of a ship
piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent;
"he surrendered but asked for quarter"
provide housing for (military personnel)
pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him;
"in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes"
divide into quarters;
"quarter an apple"
divide by four; divide into quarters
- Only a quarter of the earth is land.
- It's a quarter past ten.
- The flight was put off about a quarter, because of ground fog.
- The rent is due at the end of each quarter.
- The quarter is used most often as a tip for small services.
- The city has a busy Chinese quarter.
- He lives in the student quarter of the city.
- From which quarter is the wind blowing?
- Her travels had taken her to every quarter of the globe.
- We should quarter a pineapple.
- Three quarters of the theatre was full.
- Cut the cake into quarters and share it equally .
- It is a quarter past eight by my watch, but it may be a little fast.
- He pays his rent at the end of each quarter.
- It'll cost you a quarter.
- What quarter is the wind in?
- All reports emanating from that quarter should be treated with caution.
- The famous man's mail came from the quarters of the globe.
- The basketball team has winter quarters in the south.
- The inn provides cheap quarters for travellers.
- This is our temporary quarters in the village.
- The estate consists of a main house, servants' quarters, a garage, stables and 100 acres of woods.
- She lives in single quarters now.
- All troops must return to their quarters at once.
- The best advice came from a most unexpected quarter.
- The moon is in its last quarter.
- They are ferocious fighters, who neither give nor expect any quarter.
- His business rivals knew they could expect no quarter from such a ruthless adversary.
- We should quarter a pineapple.
- We'll quarter the cake and then we'll have an equal share.
- I quartered the sandwiches and put them in a tray.
- If we each do the work at the same time, we could quarter the time it would take to finish the job.
- The apples should be peeled and quartered.
- at close quarters
非常近 very near
- from〔in〕 all quarters
四面八方,到处 from all directions; everywhere
- give no quarter
不对…让步; 不对…怜悯 show no mercy
- quarter in (v.+prep.)
(使)住宿在… (cause to) stay for the night in sth
quarter sb in sth
The troops were quartered in the city.
They were quartered throughout the war in Smith's hotel.
- quarter on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
(使)住宿在…; 与…住在一起 (cause to) stay for the night in sth; (cause to) stay for the night with sb
quarter sb/oneself on〔upon〕 sb/sth
He quartered his men on the inhabitants in the town.
My wife's mother has decided to quarter herself upon us.
The troops were quartered on the inhabitants.
That night, together with a high officer,I was quartered on a peasant.
- quarter with (v.+prep.)
和…住在一起 (cause to) stay for the night with sb
quarter oneself/sb with sb
He quartered himself with the local people.
- ask for quarter 请求饶命
- cut into the quarters 切成四等份
- cut up the quarters 切成四等份
- find quarters 找到住处
- give quarter 饶恕,饶命
- provide quarters 提供住处
- receive quarter 得到宽恕,被免一死
- share quarters with sb 和某人住在一起
- show quarter 表示宽恕
- take up one's quarters 住下
- certain quarter 某一地区
- close quarters 狭窄的寓所
- comfortable quarters 舒适的住处
- living quarters 住处
- slum quarters 贫民区
- suitable quarters 适当的住处
- wealthy quarters 富人居住区
- working-class quarters 工人住宅区
- at close quarters 逼近,接近
- from all quarters 来自各方
- from every quarter 从四面八方
- in quarters 在寓所里
- in some quarter 在某个地区
- on the quarter 每隔15分钟
- a quarter after three 〈美〉三点一刻
- a quarter of a mile 四分之一英里
- a quarter of an hour 一刻钟
- a quarter past three 三点一刻
- a quarter to ten 九点三刻
- certain quarter in the town 市镇的某地区
- every quarter of the globe 世界各地
- quarter of the moon 弦月
- quarter an apple 把一个苹果四等分
Garnish with a Seville orange cut in quarters.出自： H. Glasse
He has a good quarter of it drunk..by this stage.出自： M. Binchy
I think there's enough..If we just quarter the tomatoes.出自： K. O
- quarter的基本意思是“四分之一,四等分”,可以用来指距离、数量、价格及物体的四分之一的量,也可专指时间的“一刻钟,十五分钟”或“一季度,三个月”,还可指重量的“夸脱,四分之一英担”,在英国为28磅,在美国为25磅。在美国和加拿大, quarter可指“四分之一元,两角五分的硬币”,是可数名词。
- quarter作“驻扎”“住宿”解时后面常接介词in, on或upon等。
- quarter, district, section, tract
- district通常指行政上的区域,又指具有显著特色的地方; section指一个国家或城市自然形成的地区; quarter一般指一个城市中的具有同一性的地区,尤指特殊一层人所居住的区域; tract指大片的土地、地域、地带或住房开发区。例如:
- The city has a busy Chinese quarter.这个城市有个热闹的华人区。
- The famous man's mail came from the corners of the globe.那位名人的信件来自世界各地。
- Large tracts of sandy land were reclaimed.大片大片的沙质荒地被开垦出来了。
- There is a vast tract of forest in that area.在那个地区有一大片森林。
- I bought it for a quarter of the price.
- I bought it for quarter of the price.
- I bought it for a quarter the price.
- I bought it for quarter the price.
- quarter on, quarter with
- quarter on指“住到(某人)那里”, on的宾语是原本就住在那里的; 而with的宾语原本并不住在那里,而是与主语一同住到那里去的。
误 We must find a quarter before nightfall.
正 We must find quarters before nightfall.
误 They waited for a quarter, but no bus came in sight.
正 They waited for a quarter of an hour, but no bus came in sight.
析 当quarter表示时间“一刻”,不能只说a quarter,须接介词of,应该说a quarter of an hour。这个方案遭到了各方面的批评。
误 The scheme met with criticisms from all quarter.
正 The scheme met with criticisms from all quarters.
析 quarter作“方面”解时是可数名词,表示“各方面”应说all quarters。他不愿饶恕他的敌人。
误 He refused to give quarters to his foe.
正 He refused to give quarter to his foe.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的quartier；最初源自古典拉丁语的quartarius，意为第四部分。