- 隐藏的困难， 暗藏的不利因素
- 捕捉， 抓（住）
- vt. 逮住,捉住 trap after chasing or hunting
- vt. & vi. 偶然撞见,突然发觉 discover suddenly and by surprise
- vt. & vi. 赶上,追上 be in time for
- vt. 患病; 感染上 get an illness; become infected with
- vt. 理解,听懂,听到 understand, hear
- vt. & vi. (使)被钩住,(使)被卡住 become hooked, held, fastened or stuck
- [C]抓,接 an act of seizing and holding sth thrown or hit, especially a ball
- [C]捕获量,捕获物 the amount of sth caught
- [C]挂钩,吊扣 a hook or other apparatus for fastening sth or holding it shut
- [C]隐患,圈套 a hidden problem or difficulty
- a drawback or difficulty that is not readily evident;
"it sounds good but what's the catch?"
- the quantity that was caught;
"the catch was only 10 fish"
- a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
- anything that is caught (especially if it is worth catching);
"he shared his catch with the others"
- a break or check in the voice (usually a sign of strong emotion)
- a restraint that checks the motion of something;
"he used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
- a fastener that fastens or locks a door or window
- a cooperative game in which a ball is passed back and forth;
"he played catch with his son in the backyard"
- the act of catching an object with the hands;
"Mays made the catch with his back to the plate"
"he made a grab for the ball before it landed"
"Martin's snatch at the bridle failed and the horse raced away"
"the infielder's snap and throw was a single motion"
- the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal);
"the policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
- discover or come upon accidentally, suddenly, or unexpectedly; catch somebody doing something or in a certain state;
"She caught her son eating candy"
"She was caught shoplifting"
- perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily;
"I caught the aroma of coffee"
"He caught the allusion in her glance"
"ears open to catch every sound"
"The dog picked up the scent"
"Catch a glimpse"
- reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot;
"the rock caught her in the back of the head"
"The blow got him in the back"
"The punch caught him in the stomach"
- take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of;
"Catch the ball!"
"Grab the elevator door!"
- succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase;
"We finally got the suspect"
"Did you catch the thief?"
- to hook or entangle;
"One foot caught in the stirrup"
- attract and fix;
"His look caught her"
"She caught his eye"
"Catch the attention of the waiter"
- capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping;
"I caught a rabbit in the trap today"
- reach in time;
"I have to catch a train at 7 o'clock"
- get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly;
"Catch some sleep"
"catch one's breath"
- catch up with and possibly overtake;
"The Rolls Royce caught us near the exit ramp"
- be struck or affected by;
"catch the mood"
- check oneself during an action;
"She managed to catch herself before telling her boss what was on her mind"
- hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers;
"We overheard the conversation at the next table"
- see or watch;
"view a show on television"
"This program will be seen all over the world"
"view an exhibition"
"Catch a show on Broadway"
"see a movie"
- cause to become accidentally or suddenly caught, ensnared, or entangled;
"I caught the hem of my dress in the brambles"
- detect a blunder or misstep;
"The reporter tripped up the senator"
- grasp with the mind or develop an understanding of;
"did you catch that allusion?"
"We caught something of his theory in the lecture"
"don't catch your meaning"
"did you get it?"
"She didn't get the joke"
"I just don't get him"
"did you catch a cold?"
- start burning;
"The fire caught"
- perceive by hearing;
"I didn't catch your name"
"She didn't get his name when they met the first time"
- suffer from the receipt of;
"She will catch hell for this behavior!"
- attract; cause to be enamored;
"She captured all the men's hearts"
- apprehend and reproduce accurately;
"She really caught the spirit of the place in her drawings"
"She got the mood just right in her photographs"
- take in and retain;
"We have a big barrel to catch the rainwater"
- spread or be communicated;
"The fashion did not catch"
- be the catcher;
"Who is catching?"
- become aware of;
"he caught her staring out the window"
- delay or hold up; prevent from proceeding on schedule or as planned;
"I was caught in traffic and missed the meeting"
- We're just in time to catch the train.
- It is natural for a cat to catch mice.
- I don't catch your meaning.
- That's a nice catch.
- The fisherman had a good catch.
- There must be a catch to that last question.
Something has gone wrong with the lock; it won't catch.
The wind was so strong that the fire caught quickly.
I have a train to catch.
My friend caught me when I tripped.
Two hours later the police caught all the thieves.
The police caught the thief as he ran.
I caught him just as he was leaving the house.
He caught my hand and held it tightly.
They caught the enemies by surprise and succeeded in delaying them.
A snow ball caught the passer-by in the shoulder.
She caught him on the cheek.
We caught a lot of fish.
This is the season for catching fish.
The cat caught a mouse.
Altogether we caught ten golden monkeys.
To scare a bird is not the way to catch it.
If you run after two hares, you will catch neither.
They caught several thousand jin of fish in just one net.
The early bird catches the worm.
They caught us before we reached town.
We shall catch them in the middle of their supper.
He ran so fast that I couldn't catch him.
We caught the boat at Marseilles.
I want to catch the one-thirty train.
Dry wood catches fire easily.
The house caught fire while we were away .
The thorns have caught our clothing.
His sleeve caught the glass.It fell and broke into pieces.
He caught his foot on a wire and fell.
The dog caught the bit of meat in its mouth.
I threw the ball to him and he caught it.
Try to catch the ball with both hands.
I don't quite catch your meaning.
I didn't catch the end of the sentence, and could you say it again?
Did you catch my idea?
I didn't catch the last two words.
When she woke, her ear caught the sound of knocking.
Through the window I caught the scent of lilac.
If you have already had the disease, probably you won't catch it again.
He is very strong, but he catches cold sometimes.
She caught a cold from her brother.
We must not catch the bad habit of “acting as overlords”.
The spy was caught in the act.
The bandit was caught alive.
He was caught in the rain and got wet through last night.
The ship was caught in a hurricane.
Don't get caught in the storm!
The enemy is caught between two fires, from within and without.
The car was caught between two trucks.
She was caught by his smile and good nature.
I could hardly catch what he meant.
I didn't catch what you said.
He caught us a butterfly.
Inbry caught me a dragonfly.
She caught a small fish for me.
You won't catch me inviting those people to my house again.
The teacher caught the boy cheating.
I should like to catch them saying anything like that again.
He was caught cheating in the exam.
Through the window I caught the scent of syringa mixed with the late night smell of grass.
When questioned, the boy caught stealing kept silent.
What a good catch it is.
Let's play catch.
That was a difficult catch.
His catch was quick enough to keep the bottle from dropping to the ground.
The angler made a good catch.
The boat brought back a big catch of fish.
George was a young and promising catch.
Her husband was a good catch; he's rich and attractive.
The catch on this door is broken.
Can you unfasten the lock catch of a box?
The salary is fantastic, but the catch is that you have to spend six months of the year in the Antarctic.
The catch is how to grow rice in such a dry area.
- catch at (v.+prep.)
设法抓住或利用 try to catch catch at sth
He caught at a rope thrown to him, but missed it.他想抓住扔给他的绳子,但没有抓住。
He acted like a drowning man trying to catch at a straw.他那样做就好像一个快要淹死的人拼命想捞救命稻草一样。
He will catch at any chance to make money.他抓住一切机会赚钱。
He catches at every opportunity to practise the piano.他抓住每一个机会练习弹钢琴。
发现某人正在干… discover sb in the act of sth wrong catch sb at sth
I've caught you at your tricks again!你玩花招,又叫我发现了!
If you catch me at it again, you may punish me any way you like.如果你看见我再做这件事,可以任意处罚我。
接受 accept catch at sth
John caught at Bill's offer to help.约翰马上接受比尔提供的帮助。
- 设法抓住或利用 try to catch catch at sth
- catch in1 (v.+prep.)
绊倒…; 给…绊了一下 trap (usually part of the body or clothing) in sth catch in sth
My foot caught in the mat and I fell heavily.我被席子绊了一下,重重地摔了一跤。
My foot caught in a loose plank on the bridge while I was crossing.我过河时脚被桥上一块松动的木板夹住了。
遇上雨,被雨淋 be caught in the rain catch sb in sth 用于 be ～ed 结构
He was caught in the rain and got wet through last night.昨夜他碰上下雨,全身都湿透了。
He is wet all over.He must have been caught in the rain.他浑身湿透了,一定是给雨淋了。
- 绊倒…; 给…绊了一下 trap (usually part of the body or clothing) in sth catch in sth
- catch in2 (v.+adv.)
恰遇某人在 meet sb at home or in office accidentally catch sb in
You might catch him in about 11 o'clock.你或许能在11点左右找到他。
缝上几针把…收紧,改小 draw (a loose garment) together with a belt, etc.; take (a loose garment) in closer size catch in
This dress is rather loose, but it only needs catching in a little at the waist.这件女衫大了些,但只要在腰部束一束就可以了。catch sth ⇔ in
Catch in the waistline very lightly so that it doesn't show.稍稍缝上几针把腰围收一收,这样就看不出来了。
She caught the dress in at the waist.她把女衫的腰部收紧些。
- 恰遇某人在 meet sb at home or in office accidentally catch sb in
- catch off (v.+prep.)
乘某人不备 surprise sb in an undefended moment catch sb off sth
They caught him off guard.他们给他来了一个攻其不备。
If you want to persuade the chairman to agree , you'll have to catch him off his guard.如果你要想说服主席同意必须出其不意地向他提出来。
- 乘某人不备 surprise sb in an undefended moment catch sb off sth
- catch on1 (v.+prep.)
(使)意外地挂在… (cause to) fasten accidentally on sth catch on sth
The kite caught on the electric wires.那个风筝勾住电线了。catch sb/sth on sth
He caught his foot on a tree root and stumbled.他一只脚绊在树根上,几乎要跌倒。
I would have been early enough, but I caught my coat on a nail just as I was leaving.我本来会早来,没想到我正要离开时,外套被钉子钩住了。
The ball caught him on the head.球打在他的头上。用于 be ～ed 结构
My sleeve was caught on a nail.我的袖子被钉子挂住了。
触到痛处; 伤感情 catch sb on the raw catch sb on sth
You'll have to be more careful about what you say; you really caught him on the raw when you mentioned his first wife.你以后说话必须注意点,你提到他第一个妻子,这确实触到了他的痛处。
- (使)意外地挂在… (cause to) fasten accidentally on sth catch on sth
- catch on2 (v.+adv.)
变得流行 become popular; be adopted, taken up, by a large number of people catch on
There have been several attempts to introduce new styles in men's clothing, but none of them has caught on.有人曾几次试图引进几种新款男装,但没有一种流行开来。
The skate-board caught on for a few months, but then dropped out of fashion.滑冰板风行了几个月,但又不流行了。
I don't think this strange new fashion will catch on.我认为这个怪样式不会流行起来。
That movement was slow to catch on at first, but a few months afterwards it began to develop rapidly.那项运动起初不大容易展开,但是几个月以后,就开始迅速发展了。
This method of teaching caught on well.这种教学方法很受欢迎。
The new method caught on and many peasants became very skilful at it.这个新方法很受欢迎,很多农民都掌握得很好了。
The play caught on well.这个戏很受欢迎。
Do you think this fashion will catch on?你认为这个式样人们会喜欢吗?
The phrase caught on and immediately became popular.这个短语采用后很快就流行了。
〈非正〉理解 see the meaning, purpose, etc.; grasp mentally catch on
It took me a while to catch on.好一会儿我才理解。
She didn't know why we were laughing at that joke; in a little while she caught on and laughed too.她不知道我们听了那个笑话为什么发笑; 一会儿她懂了,也笑了起来。
He explained it again and I at last caught on.他又解释了一遍,我终于明白了。catch sth ⇔ on
Being a foreigner, he did not catch on the joke.他是个外国人,未能理解这个笑话的含义。catch on to sth
An enquiring mind quickly catches on to a new idea.好探求的人很快就可以理解一个新的见解。
He's no fool; he'll catch on soon enough to what you are doing.他不是傻瓜,他很快就会看出你这是在干什么。
We hope to catch on to the new method of work in a few days.我们希望在几天内能掌握这个新的工作方法。
You will catch on to the job after you've been here a while.你在这里呆上一阵后就会明白这工作怎么做了。
- 变得流行 become popular; be adopted, taken up, by a large number of people catch on
- catch out (v.+adv.)
恰遇某人不在 meet sb not at home or in the office accidentally
He was here all morning, but you've just caught him out. 整个上午他都在,刚好你来他出去了。
将…抓住; 将…难住 cause sb to make a mistake or be unable to give a correct answer; detect sb in error or wrong doing
We watched carefully and before long caught out the suspect. 我们留神观察,不久就发觉这个可疑的人在做坏事。
He caught me out just now with a question on English grammar. 他刚才问了我一个英语语法方面的问题,可把我难住了。
His explanation of the circumstances seemed very convincing, until someone caught him out by a question which caused him to contradict himself. 他对当时情况的解释看起来很令人信服,可是当有人向他提了个问题而使他自相矛盾时,他就露出了破绽。
Are you trying to catch me out? 你这是什么意思?
〈非正〉揭露 reveal sb's guilt, lies, etc.
I'm sure the prisoner is not telling the truth; talk to him and see if you can catch him out. 我能肯定那个囚犯在撒谎,跟他谈谈,看看能否设法揭穿他的假话。
使怀孕 make sb pregnant
After two years of married life, she was caught out. 结婚两年后,她怀孕了。
- 恰遇某人不在 meet sb not at home or in the office accidentally
- catch up (v.+adv.)
突然而迅速地抓住 seize suddenly and quickly catch sth ⇔ up
He caught up the ball as it rolled along and threw it back.他一把抱起滚过来的球,把它扔了过去。
He caught up a stick and struck out his assailant.他抓起一根棍子就朝攻击他的人打去。
When he heard the bugle call, he caught up his gun and dashed out.他一听到军号声就抓起枪冲了出去。
吹起,卷起 blow up catch sth ⇔ up 用于 be ～ed 结构
The leaves were caught up by a sudden gust of wind.突然一阵风把树叶卷起。
追上,赶上 reach sb/sth that is ahead; level with sb/sth catch up
You just go ahead and I'll catch up later.你先走一步,我随后赶来。
You'd better drive faster, because the others are catching up quickly.你最好快点开,别人很快就会赶上来。
I'm badly behind with my work and I am making great efforts to catch up.我的工作太落后了,我正在努力赶上去。catch sb/sth ⇔ up
I had to run to catch her up.我得跑步方能赶上她。
You go on ahead; I'll catch you up in a few minutes.你继续向前走,过几分钟我会赶上你的。
If we speed up we'll soon catch him up.我们加把油的话,很快就能赶上他。
The car is not far behind us; it will soon catch us up.汽车在我们后面不远,不一会就能追上我们。
It seems that we can't hope to catch up that car in front of us.看来我们没有希望追上前面那辆车了。用于 be ～ed 结构
There was a ten-mile chase before the thieves were caught up by the police car.过了十英里路,警察的车子才赶上盗窃犯。catch up to sth
Prices will fall as soon as production catches up to demand.一旦生产赶上了需求,物价就会下跌。catch up with sb/sth
You walk on and I'll catch up with you later.你往前走吧,我一会儿就赶上你了。
She caught up with them as they reached the bridge.她在桥那儿追上了他们。
I walked as fast as I could, but I couldn't catch up with him.我尽力快走,但还是赶不上他。
He is working hard to catch up with the class.他在努力学习赶上班上同学。
Walk slowly, and I will catch up with you.要是你走得慢一点,我就能赶上你。
She spent six weeks catching up with her studies.她花了六个星期赶功课。
I have been ill for two weeks so I must try to catch up with my work.我病了两个星期,因此必须把工作补上。
We must strive to catch up with and surpass advanced world levels in science and technology.我们必须努力赶超世界先进科技水平。
卷起来并保持下去 lift and keep in position catch sth ⇔ up
She caught up her hair into a bun.她把头发卷成圆卷。
打断 interrupt catch sb ⇔ up
We caught him up on a number of factual details.我们打断他的话,指出许多事实细节方面的错误。
He is ready to catch me up whenever there is a slip-up in my speech.每当我讲话有点差错时,他就要找我的岔子。
出发前准备好牲口 prepare horses, mules, or oxen for travel catch up
They were to catch up and begin the march at daybreak.他们将准备好牲口在破晓时出发。
把…缠住,把…卷入; 把…迷住 entangle, involve; enthrall catch sb ⇔ up
Revolutionary zeal caught them up, and they joined the army.革命热情激励了他们,他们参军了。
- 突然而迅速地抓住 seize suddenly and quickly catch sth ⇔ up
- catch up in (v.+adv.+prep.)
沉湎于; 被吸引住; 关注 be deeply interested in; be busy with (an activity or group) catch sth ⇔ up in sth 用于 be ～ed 结构
We were so caught up in the football match that we forgot what time it was.我们被足球赛迷住了,以至都忘记是几点了。
The boy had got caught up in the story he was reading, and so didn't notice my coming into the room.男孩看故事书看得入了迷,没有觉察到我已走进了房间。
They were caught up in the excitement of the moment.他们被当时的激动场面吸引住了。
Most citizens do not get caught up in local events.大多数人对当地发生的事情不感兴趣。
- 沉湎于; 被吸引住; 关注 be deeply interested in; be busy with (an activity or group) catch sth ⇔ up in sth 用于 be ～ed 结构
- catch up on (v.+adv.+prep.)
事后得到关于…的消息 acquire related information about catch up on sth
He loves to catch up on the news after a trip abroad.每次国外旅行以后,他都喜欢得到最新的消息。catch up on wh-clause
I'm afraid I can't catch up on how things are in that region.恐怕我不能及时得到关于那个地区情况的消息。catch sb up on wh-clause
He caught me up on what's happening at the front.他把有关前线的最新消息告诉了我。
He writes to us every week to catch us up on what's happening in the countryside.他每星期给我们写信,把农村里的最新消息告诉我们。
赶完 make special efforts to do sth which has been left undone or neglected catch up on sth
I have to catch up on my work so I can't come out.我得抓紧做我的工作,因此我不能出来。
The holidays will be a good time for him to catch up on his studies.假期将是他补习功课的好机会。
I expect he'll catch up on lost time by working harder.我期望他能更加努力地工作来弥补失去的时间。
对…有影响 have an effect on sb's health, work, behaviour, etc., especially a damaging effect catch up on sb
Don't be surprised if all these cigarettes you are smoking catch up on you one day.如果你现在抽的那些香烟哪一天损害到你的健康,你可别大吃一惊。
- 事后得到关于…的消息 acquire related information about catch up on sth
- catch up with (v.+adv.+prep.)
- 〔说明〕 catch up with不用于被动结构。 catch up with sb
对…产生坏影响 have the expected ill effect or result on
Excessive drinking and smoking will catch up with you. 你过度抽烟喝酒将来要吃苦头的。
As expected, excessive drinking caught up with him. 正如所预料的那样,过度地饮酒最终毁了他。
His evil ways will certainly catch up with him. 他的恶劣行为必将使他自食其果。
查出来并抓获 find out about or get proof to punish or arrest
He is always fooling around in class, but the teacher will catch up with him some day. 他总是在班上捉弄人,总有一天老师会抓住他的。
The policemen caught up with a robber according to a retired worker's report. 公安人员根据一位退休工人的报告抓获了抢劫犯。
- catch with (v.+prep.)
接住,抓住 seize or grasp sth catch sth with sth
She caught my arm with both hands.她用双手抓住我的手臂。
Catch the ball with both hands.用双手接球。
- 接住,抓住 seize or grasp sth catch sth with sth
- catch in
在…中有蹊跷 a hidden problem or difficulty among sth
The plan seems too good, and there must be a catch in it. 这项计划看起来太完美了,其中必有蹊跷。
There must be a catch in this plan. 这项计划里肯定有鬼。
- 在…中有蹊跷 a hidden problem or difficulty among sth
- catch to
关于…有蹊跷 a hidden problem or difficulty about sth
There is a catch to that question. 那句问话中有名堂。
That house is extremely cheap, and there must be a catch to it somewhere! 那房子卖得这么便宜,这里面一定有些蹊跷。
- 关于…有蹊跷 a hidden problem or difficulty about sth
- catch a cold 受凉,感冒
- catch a person 捉住某人
- catch an illness 生病
- catch cancer 致癌
- catch fire 失火,着火
- catch much inconvenience 带来不便
- catch mumps 感染腮腺炎
- catch one's breath 憋住气
- catch ruin 造成某人的伤害
- catch sb's attention〔eye〕 引起某人的注意
- catch sb's death 造成某人之死
- catch sight of 看见某人
- catch the accident 造成意外
- catch bad habits 染上坏习惯
- catch the enemy 袭击敌人
- catch the meaning 听得懂意思
- catch the measles 患麻疹
- catch the point 领会要点
- catch the scent 闻到香味
- catch the train 赶上火车
- catch trouble 招致麻烦
- catch abundantly 大量地捕到
- catch charmingly 顺利地抓住
- catch easily 容易逮住
- catch fairly 当场拿获
- catch instantly 立刻燃烧
- catch obstinately 顽强地抓捕
- catch properly 准确地打开
- catch remarkably 清楚地知道
- catch on well 受欢迎
- catch out 未发现
- catch over 结冰
- catch up 赶上,使卷入,把…很快地拾〔拿〕起来,打断…的话
- catch on with students 受到学生的欢迎
- catch up on the roof 给屋顶挂住了
- catch up with 赶上
- catch up with one's lessons 补上功课
- catch at 接住,碰见
- catch at an opportunity 抓住机会
- catch for 因…抓住
- catch from 从…传染
- catch in a door 被门夹住
- catch in a storm 遇上暴风雨
- catch in a trap 落入陷阱
- catch in a tree 给树挂住
- catch sb off guard 出其不意地进攻某人
- catch on a nail (衣服)挂在钉子上
- catch under a truck 给卡车轧住
- catch with 被…抓住
- big catch 大量的捕获物
- difficult catch 很难接住
- good catch 理想的人选
- great catch 红人
- poor catch 很少的捕获物
- quick catch 很快抓住
- safety catch 保险栓
- total catch 总捕获量
- by catches 断断续续
We retain a catch of these pretty stories.出自：J. Glanvill
Such houses as had any catch of the river.出自：S. Johnson
We used to catch snakes for the Zoo.出自：R. Campbell
Lady Georgina Fane, unmarried daughter of Lord Westmorland,..never gave up hope of catching him.出自：E. Longford
I have caught a cold.
- catch的常用短语有catch one's eyes（引起某人的注意），catch up（抓起，指出），catch up with（追上，赶上）；
Some students cought a thief this morning.
The police arrested her as suspect.
- catch可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,后面跟名词、代词或疑问词从句作宾语,有时也可跟以现在分词、过去分词充当补足语的复合宾语; 用作不及物动词时,主动形式往往含有被动意义。当表示“抓住某人的某部位”时,一般说“catch sb. by the＋部位”,这一结构中the不能换为sb's。catch作“捕获”解时,后面可以接双宾语,但间接宾语一般用介词for引出,而不用to。
- catch at的意思是“设法抓住”,并不表明抓住与否。catch on表示“变得流行,抓住,理解”等, catch out表示“发现不在”“抓住短处”, catch up with表示“赶上”“补上”“抓住”“带来不良后果”。
- 在表示“赶上火车”时,英国人用catch a train; 美国人则用make a train。
- catch (a) cold用于表示“伤风，感冒”时,用不用不定冠词都可以;如果cold一词前有形容词时,该形容词前应使用不定冠词。
- catch, catch at
catch at和catch的意思都是“抓”。其区别是：catch at一般表示“想抓住,设法抓住”,但不一定能抓住; catch则强调抓住。例如:
- He caught my hand and held it tightly.
- A drowning man will catch at a straw.
- catch sb by the arm, catch sb's arm
- The little school boy ran to the pickpocket and caught his arm.
- Father looked faint.Mary rose quickly and caught him by the arm.
- 爸爸看起来要晕倒似的,玛丽赶快起来, 一把抓住了他的胳膊。
- catch, catch up, catch up with
这三者都可表示“赶上”。其区别是：1.catch一般接bus, train等交通工具,而catch up和catch up with较少用于交通工具,较多用于人、单位、团体。2.catch up和catch up with一般可通用,美式英语多用catch up,英式英语多用catch up with。
- catch, grasp, grip, hold
这组词的共同意思是“掌握”。其区别是：hold含义最广,指抓牢或掌握具体或抽象的事物; grip指全力紧抓事物; grasp常指对抽象理论、原理的领悟或理解; catch指拼命抓牢不放,唯恐其滑掉或丢失,比其他三个词更强调控制。例如:Hold the reins tight.把缰绳抓紧。I threw the ball, and the dog caught it in his mouth.我把球抛出,狗用嘴接住了球。I think I grasped the main points of the speech.我想我已经领会了演说的要点。She gripped my hand in fear.她因害怕而紧握住我的手。
- catch, ensnare, trap
这三个词都表示“抓住”。其区别是：catch为一般用语,多指有力地、出其不意地,或机智地抓住正在飞奔或躲藏的人或物; trap和ensnare是指用机关或器具捉住, trap指用陷阱或圈套去捕捉; ensnare多指使用计谋而不是具体的陷阱。例如:
- He ensnared the old lady into giving him all her savings.
- 他诱骗那位老妇人把全部积蓄都给了 他。
- He lives by trapping animals and selling their fur.
- catch, arrest, capture, seize
这四个词都有“抓住”“抓获”的含义。它们之间的差别在于:1.arrest指官方依法对罪犯或犯罪嫌疑人予以拘捕、收审; seize指突然有力地抓住,其引申意义可指抓住转瞬即逝或难以捉摸的东西; capture强调用武力手段,克服一定的困难或抵抗后而“捕获”“抓获”,也可指竞赛中的“夺标”或在军事上对某地的“占领”; catch属常用词,多指通过追踪、武力、计谋、突然袭击等方式“抓住”某人或某物。例如:
- The bandit was caught red-handed.
- They seized him by force.
- The police arrested the killer and put him in prison.
- Our army captured 500 of the enemy.
- The bright lights arrested the baby's attention.
- The unusual panelling on the walls caught my attention.
- catch up with, keep up with
这两个短语都可表示“赶上”。其区别是：catch up with表示从落后的状态迎头赶上; keep up with表示跟上某人以至不落后。例如:
- You go on;I will soon catch up with you.
- She had to run to keep up with them.
- His shirt caught on a nail.
- He caught his shirt on a nail.
- They caught him stealing.
- Catch me stealing again.
- She caught the boy smoking a cigarette.
误 He has caught a cold for three days.
正 He caught a cold three days ago.
误 He was caught by the rain.
正 He was caught in the rain.
析 表示人遇雨、雷雨、大风等时, catch一般用于被动结构,并用介词in,不用by。
误 I caught the thief to steal my television set.
正 I caught the thief stealing my television set.
析 当表示“碰上”“撞上某人正做某事”时, catch后须跟现在分词作宾语补足语。
误 I was wandering through the streets when I suddenly caught sight of a tailor's shop.
正 I was wandering through the streets when I caught sight of a tailor's shop.
析 caught sight of的意思是“突然看见”,其本身已含有“突然”的意思,不必再用suddenly。
错句：she caught up them as they reached the bridge.
纠正：she caught up with them as they reached the bridge.
分析：catch up表示“抓起，指出”，而catch up with才表示“追上，赶上”。
- ☆ 1200年左右入进英语，直接源自盎格鲁法或古北部法语的cachier，意为抓，捕；最初源自通俗拉丁语的captiare，意为试图抓住，追捕。
- CATCH:Comprehensive Assessment for Tracking Community Health综合评价,跟踪社区健康
- CATCH:Computer Aided Tracking and Characterization of Homicides (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory)计算机辅助的跟踪和表征凶杀案(太平洋西北国家实验室)
- CATCH:Computer and Technology High-Tech Response Team (Investigative unit in San Diego, CA)计算机技术高科技响应小组(调查单位在圣地亚哥,CA)
- catch:catch n. 捕捉, 捕获物, (窗)钩v. 捕获, 赶上(车船等), 发觉, 感染（疾病）vi. 抓住，燃着习惯用语be caught in (the rain, a trap) 遇(雨), 陷…