- 当头头， 充当首领
- 残酷统治， 严厉控制
- 把…排除在外， 认为…不适合
- [C]规则,规章,规定,条例 statement and what can, should or must be done in certain circumstances or when playing a game
- [S]习惯,惯常的做法 usual practice or habit; normal state of things
- [U]统治,管理 authority; government
- [C]尺,折尺 straight measuring device, often jointed, used by carpenters, etc.
- vt. 用尺子划,在…划平行线 draw (a line) using a ruler, etc.; mark parallel lines on sth
- vt. & vi. 统治; 控制 control or be the person in charge of (a country, people, etc.); have a controlling influence over
- vt. & vi. 判定,裁定 give an official decision (on)
- a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior;
"it was his rule to take a walk before breakfast"
"short haircuts were the regulation"
- something regarded as a normative example;
"the convention of not naming the main character"
"violence is the rule not the exception"
"his formula for impressing visitors"
- prescribed guide for conduct or action
- (linguistics) a rule describing (or prescribing) a linguistic practice
- a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct;
"their principles of composition characterized all their works"
- the duration of a monarch's or government's power;
"during the rule of Elizabeth"
- dominance or power through legal authority;
"France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa"
"the rule of Caesar"
- directions that define the way a game or sport is to be conducted;
"he knew the rules of chess"
- any one of a systematic body of regulations defining the way of life of members of a religious order;
"the rule of St. Dominic"
- a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system;
"the principle of the conservation of mass"
"the principle of jet propulsion"
"the right-hand rule for inductive fields"
- (mathematics) a standard procedure for solving a class of mathematical problems;
"he determined the upper bound with Descartes' rule of signs"
"he gave us a general formula for attacking polynomials"
- measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths
- exercise authority over; as of nations;
"Who is governing the country now?"
- decide with authority;
"The King decreed that all firstborn males should be killed"
- be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance;
"Money reigns supreme here"
"Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
- decide on and make a declaration about;
"find someone guilty"
- have an affinity with; of signs of the zodiac
- mark or draw with a ruler;
"rule the margins"
- keep in check;
"rule one's temper"
- It's against the rule to pick up the ball.
- Is this rule in operation yet?
- I make it a rule to take a short walk after lunch.
- Kenya was under (British) colonial rule for many years.
- I am slowly but surely going to rule this land.
- Charles ruled England for 11 years.
- Rule a line at the end of every piece of work.
One rule for all doesn't work.
The rule has been in abeyance since 1980.
The rule has no application to this particular case.
There is no rule against it.
You must obey the rule.
They argued her out of violating the operating rule.
You must obey the rules of the game.
You'll have to fight through a lot of opposition to get the rules changed.
It is against the rules of the school to keep pets.
Everything has been done in accordance with the rules.
He broke the rule that family discord should never reach the ears of outsiders.
It is my rule to get up early.
It has been a rule for years never to interrupt father in the morning.
She makes a rule of going for a walk every afternoon.
He makes it a rule to do morning exercises every day.
They were determined to liberate the people from the puppet regime's dark rule.
These are the countries that were once under French rule.
He knows the decimal rules.
Use a rule to measure the width of that cloth.
The British monarchs reign but do not rule.
The majority rules in a democracy.
Obviously economic forces rule.
Despots seldom rule long.
Crops rule good.
Prices ruled low.
The market rules high in that country.
The marks for English exams this term ruled high.
He ruled the test paper carefully.
He used a ruler to rule the paper.
She ruled a line and numbered it off; one inch representing three feet.
Is it true that Mrs. Robert rules her husband?
She couldn't rule herself that moment.
She could rule her children.
He couldn't even rule that small province.
The King ruled his people well and wisely.
Who rules this country?
The times when colonialists ruled Africa is over.
His reason ruled his anger.
Silence ruled the room.
I always like Napoleon from when I was six on because he was small and had ruled the world.
Everything is ruled by his brother.
He did not want himself to be ruled by others.
Some feudal states were ruled by autocratic kings.
Don't be ruled by personal interests.
Don't be ruled by your passions.
The judge ruled that the new evidence should be considered.
The judge ruled that the witness (should) be heard.
The judge ruled that he must stop beating his wife.
The judge ruled that they had no right to ask such a question.
The chairman ruled that my action was a violation of the law.
She tried to rule herself not to be angry.
The judge ruled him incompetent to stand trial.
The committee ruled Nigel's proposal out of court because it was too expensive.
These documents were ruled irrelevant.
He ruled himself not to intervene.
In this country ruled by law, few criminals can get away with their crimes.
Do you want ruled paper or plain?
The ruling classes will not step off the stage of history of their own accord.
- as a rule
通常; 一般说来 usually
They sum up their experience at the end of every year as a rule. 他们通常在年终总结经验。
As a rule I catch the seven o'clock train to work so that I can be sure of getting a seat. 我通常是赶7点的火车去上班,这样我能保证找到座位。
- 通常; 一般说来 usually
- bear rule over
支配(某人) control sb
He had the strength and power, he meant to bear rule over others and he expected tributes from them. 他有权有势,想支配人,要人们拜倒在他的脚下。
- 支配(某人) control sb
- bend the rules
放宽限制,通融 soften the terms; make an exception in sb's favour
Gerald bent the rules and carried an extra club in the golf competition, but nobody noticed. 杰拉尔德犯规,他在高尔夫球比赛中多带了一根球杆,不过没有人注意。
She was only one day over the age limit so the organizers bent the rules and accepted her entry. 她仅超过年龄限制一天,因此组织者通融了一下,接受她入会。
- 放宽限制,通融 soften the terms; make an exception in sb's favour
- by rule
循规蹈矩地 according to rule
They speak by rule and by book, though they judge and determine by common-sense. 虽然他们凭常识作出判断,可是他们却按常规惯例和书本讲话。
- 循规蹈矩地 according to rule
- by rule and line
You must measure the length by rule and line. 你必须准确地计量长度。
He works always by rule and line, never by chance or guess. 他一向办事精细,从不靠运气或凭猜测。
- 准确地,精密地 accurately
- ground rules
基本规则 basic rules
You shouldn't express your opinion in this organization until you've learned the ground rules. 在你没有弄懂基本规则之前,你不该在这个组织发表自己的意见。
- 基本规则 basic rules
- rule of sea〔road〕
航行规则; 交通规则 accepted laws governing ships/road vehicles
A powered vessel should give way to sail—it is an unwritten rule of the sea. 机动船在遇到帆船时必须让其先行,这是一条不成文的航行规则。
If a naval maneuvre requires ships to pass starboard side to starboard side, the rule of road is waived. 如果海军演习要求船只右舷对右舷通过,航行规则就失效了。
- 航行规则; 交通规则 accepted laws governing ships/road vehicles
- rule of thumb
凭感觉做的方法; 单凭经验的方法 practical (rather than theoretical) method
I never weigh anything when I'm cooking—I just do it by rule of thumb. 我烧菜从不称分量,我单凭感觉就知道分量多少。
I haven't been taught the finer points of carpentry,I just make things by rule of thumb. 我没有受过做木工活的专门训练,只不过是靠经验而已。
As a rule of thumb, the bigger the company the easier it is to buy and sell. 凭经验来说,公司越大,做买卖越容易。
- 凭感觉做的方法; 单凭经验的方法 practical (rather than theoretical) method
- rules and regulations
琐碎而烦人的规定 small annoying rules
I get so annoyed by all these petty rules and regulations. 这些琐碎的规章制度使我很恼火。
You must obey all the rules and regulations about car insurance. 你必须遵照有关汽车保险的一切规定。
- 琐碎而烦人的规定 small annoying rules
- under the rule of
在…的统治〔管理〕之下 under the control or management of sb/sth
The most part of the Balkans was at one time under the rule of Turkey. 巴尔干的大部分地区一度曾由土耳其统治。
Under the wise rule of the headmaster the middle school flourished. 在校长得力的管理下,这所中学得以发展起来。
- 在…的统治〔管理〕之下 under the control or management of sb/sth
- work to rule
照章工作 follow the rules of one's occupation with excessive strictness in order to cause delay, as a form of industrial protest
The union has ordered its members to work to rule, rather than call a total strike. 工会命令其成员消极怠工,而不是要求总罢工。
- 照章工作 follow the rules of one's occupation with excessive strictness in order to cause delay, as a form of industrial protest
- rule against (v.+prep.)
作出不利于…的裁决 make a formal decision not in favour of (sb/sth) rule against sb/sth/v-ing
The representatives ruled against the motion.代表们否决了这项动议。
The government has ruled against any increase in taxes this year.政府作出决定,今年不增加税收。
The judge ruled against the plaintiff.法官作出不利于原告的裁决。
The chairman ruled against admitting the press to the meeting.主席决定,不准新闻记者到会采访。
- 作出不利于…的裁决 make a formal decision not in favour of (sb/sth) rule against sb/sth/v-ing
- rule off (v.+adv.)
画线隔开 separate by ruling a line rule off
When you have finished an exercise, rule off.做完一个练习,就画一条线隔开。rule sth ⇔ off
He added up the list of figures and ruled it off neatly.他把这一列数字合计一下,然后清晰地画了一条线将其隔开。
Rule off the column and we'll close the account at that date.画线把那栏隔开,我们将按那个日期结账。
使…不能 cause sb not to do sth rule sb ⇔ off for sth
A bad leg ruled him off for long distance running.他的腿痛使他不能参加长跑。
The referee ruled him off for rough attitude.裁判员因他的态度粗暴而不准他参加比赛。
- 画线隔开 separate by ruling a line rule off
- rule on (v.+prep.)
就…进行裁决或作出决定 make a formal decision about sth rule on sth
The court will rule on the matter.法院将对此事作出裁决。
The judges have been asked to rule on the question of the lawfulness of the drug in medical use.已经要求法官对这种药物用于医疗的合法性问题作出裁决。
- 就…进行裁决或作出决定 make a formal decision about sth rule on sth
- rule out (v.+adv.)
- 〔说明〕 rule out通常不用于进行体。
用直线画掉 cover (sth written) with a straight line so that it cannot be read rule sth ⇔ out
Rule out neatly any words which you don't wish the examiner to read.把你不想让主考人看的词句整整齐齐地画掉。
宣布…不可能; 排除…的可能性 prevent sb from sth/doing sth; prevent sth from happening; make sth impossible; exclude a possibility rule sb/sth ⇔ out
The regulations rule out anyone under the age of eighteen.按规定,18岁以下的人都不能参加。
A sudden storm ruled out the boat race.突如其来的暴风雨使划船比赛无法进行。
But this does not rule out unofficial discussions.但这并不排除进行非正式的讨论。
So I should ask you not to rule out that possibility.因此我想请你不要不考虑这个可能性。
Police have ruled out murder but are still holding several people for questioning.警方已排除了他杀的可能性,但仍然拘留数人进行询问。用于 be ～ed 结构
That's a possibility that can't be ruled out.那是一个不能不予考虑的可能性。
He said the possibility was not ruled out for them to meet again in June.他说不排除他们6月份再次会晤的可能性。
- rule over (v.+prep.)
作为君主或首领来统治 act as a king, queen, or other governor of (usually a nation) rule over sb/sth
The parents ruled over their children.父母亲监管着孩子。
He ruled over his people with cruelty.他残酷地统治他的人民。
An emperor is a monarch who rules over an empire.皇帝就是统治一个帝国的君主。
He was the only person who could rule over the tribes.他是唯一能统治那些部族的人。
They ruled over that country for more than 300 years.他们统治那个国家达三百多年之久。
Gessler ruled over Switzerland. The Swiss people hated him.盖斯勒统治着瑞士,瑞士人都痛恨他。
He ruled over the country with great justice.他治国非常公正。
They no longer rule over any overseas dominions.他们不再拥有什么海外领土了。
- 作为君主或首领来统治 act as a king, queen, or other governor of (usually a nation) rule over sb/sth
- rule with (v.+prep.)
用…方式管理 govern (sth such a group) in a (very severe) way rule with sth
He sent a special governor to Altorf, a man named Gressber, who would rule with a firm hand.他往阿尔托夫城派了一个特别总督—一个名叫盖斯勒的人,这个人要用铁的手腕来统治。rule sb/sth with sth
The headmaster ruled the school with a stern discipline.校长治校严谨。
Mark said that he would like to rule a small kingdom with a rod of iron .马克说他很想能严格统治一个小王国。用于 be ～ed 结构
John is ruled by his wife with a rod of iron .约翰被他的妻子严加管束。
- 用…方式管理 govern (sth such a group) in a (very severe) way rule with sth
- abide by the rules 遵守规则
- abolish a rule 废除统治
- adopt a rule 采纳一项规则
- apply a rule 应用一项规章
- bear rule 支配,统治
- bend a rule 任意歪曲规则,篡改规则
- break a rule 打破规章制度
- cancel rules 废除规则
- carry out a rule 执行规定
- conform to the rule 符合规定
- consolidate the rule 加强统治
- do away with a rule 废除统治〔规则〕
- draw up rules 制定规则
- enforce a rule 执行规定
- establish rules 建立制度
- extend one's rule 扩展统治
- follow the rule 遵守规则
- frame rules 制定规则,形成规则
- ignore a rule 忽视规则
- keep the rules 遵守规则
- lay down rules 建立制度
- make a rule of 养成…习惯
- obey a rule 遵守规则
- observe a rule 遵守规则
- rebel against rules 反对规则
- relax some rules 放宽某些规则
- respect a rule 尊重裁决
- revoke a rule 废除规章,取消规章
- revolt against the rule 反抗…的统治
- set down a rule 制定规则
- stretch a rule 曲解规则,滥用规则
- violate a rule 违反规则
- work out rules 制订规则
- absolute rule 绝对法则
- basic rule 基本规则
- benevolent rule 仁慈的统治
- colonial rule 殖民统治
- despotic rule 专制暴君的统治
- established rule 成规
- firm rule 严格的规则
- fixed rule 固定的规则
- flexible rule 灵活的规则
- foreign rule 异国的统治
- general rule 普遍规律,通则
- main rules 主要规则
- ordinary rules 常规
- outdated rules 陈规
- popular rule 民众的统治
- rewrite rule 重写规则
- rigid rule 严格的规则
- same rule 同样的规则
- strict rules 严格的规定
- two-foot rule 两英尺长的尺子
- wise rule 明智的规定
- deletion rule 省略规则
- home rule 地方自治
- gag rule 限制言论自由的规定
- ground rule 基本规则,行动准则,比赛场地,临时规则
- majority rule 多数党执政
- against the rules 违反惯例
- as a rule 通常,一般说来
- by rule 按照规则
- by rule and line 准确地
- during rule 在统治期间
- a set of rules 一套规则
- out of rule 与习俗相悖
- under the rule 在统治之下
- rule a community 统治一个社区
- rule a continent 统治大陆
- rule oneself 克制自己
- rule sb's fate 支配某人的命运
- rule the world 统治世界
- rule arbitrarily 武断地判定
- rule brutally 残暴地统治
- rule democratically 民主统治
- rule despotically 专制统治
- rule off 用尺画线隔开
- rule off the figure 在这个数字下面画一条线
- rule out 划去,排除,拒绝,不考虑,不接受
- rule out the possibility 排除此可能性
- rule over 支配
His object..was..to find a rule by which to govern his own actions.出自：J. A. Froude
My rule is to remember that I understand nobody.出自：T. S. Eliot
The function of an empirical hypothesis is to provide a rule for the anticipation of experience.出自：A. J. Ayer
The..Abbot..commanded Halbert to rule his temper.出自：Sir W. Scott
One who rules himself to..sobriety of conduct.出自：E. Gaskell
Great brewing families wcihh rule London.出自：E. Waugh
We were ruled by the clock.出自：R. Rendell
- rule可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时接名词、代词或that从句作宾语, that从句里的谓语动词可用虚拟式。
- rule还可以接以“(to be+) adj./prep. -phrase”或动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。rule有时也可用作系动词,接形容词作表语。
- rule, ruler
- as a rule, as usual
这两个短语的共同意思是“通常”。其区别在于:前者可以不受时态的限制,而后者则多用于一般过去时。例如:As a rule he went home twice a week.他照例每星期回家两次。It snowed all day, but the bus ran as usual.雪下了一整天,可公共汽车仍照常行驶。
- rule, law, statute
这组词的共同意思是“法律”“法规”。其区别是：law含义最广,既可指约定俗成的规范,也可指由地方至国家立法机关所颁布的行为规则,有时也指事物发展的规律;statute指立法机关制定。根据宪法正式批准生效的成文法;而rule则指指导、控制行为或行动的条规和惯例,也可指一组织强制其内部人员必须做什么或绝不能做什么的决定。例如:When a Bill is passed by Parliament, it becomes a law.当一法案由国会通过时即成为法律。Protection for the consumer is laid down in plain terms by statute.保护消费者权益是由法律明文规定的。Anyone who breaks the rules will be punished.凡违反规则者将受到惩罚。
- It is a rule with us not to smoke at staff conferences.
- It is our rule not to smoke at staff confer- ences.
- rule, control, govern
这三个词都有“管理”“支配”“控制”的意思。其区别在于:1.control指一般人对一般事物的一般控制与约束; govern指靠权力、专制或按宪法来系统地“管理”“统治”国家、城市、机构等; rule是一个正式的、庄重的用语,常用于贬义,比govern更专权地“管理”“统治”。例如:The processes are all electronically controlled.各道程序都用电脑控制。Canada is governed by a prime minister and his cabinet.加拿大是由总理及内阁来管理的。A long time ago, the tiny country of Switzerland was ruled by Austria.很久以前,瑞士这个小国被奥地利统治。2.control含有强制使其服从的意味; 而govern含有需要知识和判断能力来治理和管理的意味; rule则含有专制的或独裁的意味。例如:All our calculations and experiments are carefully controlled.我们的一切计算和实验都受到严格控制。In a democracy, an administration governs with the consent of the majority.在一个民主的国家里,行政部门是按绝大多数人的意志去进行管理的。He was ruled by his wife.他受他妻子控制。
- control direct govern manage rule supervise administer
- law constitution regulation code rule act
误 They make a rule to do morning exercises every day, so they are much stronger than ever.
正 They make it a rule to do morning exercises every day, so they are much stronger than ever.
析 make sth a rule是“形成规律”“养成习惯”的意思, a rule是补语,在这种结构中,常用it作形式宾语,而用动词不定式或从句作真正的宾语放在rule之后。
误 For a rule, we get up about six o'clock.
正 As a rule, we get up about six o'clock.
析 as a rule意为“通常”“一般说来”,常常用于概括说明某件事情, as不可换为for。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的riuelr，意为实施条例；最初源自拉丁语的regulare。
- rule:rule n. 规则, 惯例, 统治, 章程, 破折号, 准则, 标准, 控制vt. 规定, 统治, 支配, 裁决vi. 统治, 管辖, 裁定n. 规则, 水线习惯用语as a rule 通常, 照例…